Poll: Would you like interactive weather?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    That would be fucking miserable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I think it will slow down gaming...... lets say I wanna do Timeless Isle. I log in and it is snowing or very cold... what will I do? log out and wait?
    I don't think it would work in wow.
    You didn't understand. I'm talking about a PERMANENT EFFECTS procured by the area theme. For example a very cold land will affect players under a certain aura.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    That would be fucking miserable.
    Thank you for such a wise, polite critic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    Not if you are "forced" to go there for some reasons. And I think you wouldn't dislike to have permanent debuffs/buffs in that area. For me, it makes the game more various with additional features and adds new feelings to the world.
    That sounds even worst, debuffs add zero immersion

Just a condition affecting a whole map area. I don't see it particularly hard.
    Buff/Debuff mechanics (aura mode)
    Have fun being in Swamp of Sorrows...

Voted no. It'd make questing unbalanced as hell and downright painful in certain areas. And since wow needs MORE people playing and not less, that's not really a good thing. For PVP in rated BG's maybe, but I doubt people will accept that there either.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2013-11-29 at 05:28 PM.

I like the idea of moving slightly slower when we/our mounts get waterlogged (rain, travel through water on non-aquatic mount), but I feel your list is excessive.

I actually think that would be pretty cool, but only if it's refined to one area(like a world PVP zone or something). It would be too much of a hassle if it was universal.

As your other ideas, not good.

Deleted
    Simply as the title says (but not only negatively!).

Example:

Very cold area:
    1) -10% movement speed
    2) no basic health regeneration
    3) -10% attack speed
    4) +20% armor
    5) flying mounts unavailable

Very warm area:
    1) +20% energy/mana cost
    2) +10% attack speed
    3) +10% damage taken
    4) +20% bleeding debuff duration (on self as-well)

Swampy area:
    1) losing 1% hp every 10 seconds (ground contact only)
    2) no health regeneration
    3) -10% healing received.

and so on, many more ideas can be easily invented. They sounds real anyway.
    It should be more buffs than debuffs.

Cold areas:
    +10% HP, +10% rune regen, +25% armor, +25% frost spell damage
    Temperate areas:
    +20% run speed, +10% mana regen, +50% ground mount speed, +25% mastery, +25% arcane spell damage
    Warm areas:
    +10% energy regen, +25% ground mount speed, +25% spell haste, -25% pet damage, +25% nature spell damage
    Desert areas:
    +10% rage regen, +25% crit chance, +20% ambient lighting, -50% pet damage, +25% fire spell damage
    Swampy areas:
    -50% ambient lighting, -50% pet damage, +25% shadow spell damage
    Night:
    -90% ambient lighting
    During Rain/Snow:
    -25% ambient lighting, +10% mana regen
    During Thunderstorm:
    -50% ambient lighting, +25% mana regen

PVE servers:
    -99% PVP damage, +1000% PVP resilience
    PVP servers:
    -50% flying mount speed, +100% mount cast time
    Last edited by mmocc3e324ee93; 2013-11-29 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    YEah........................I don't know what you smoked when you come up with this but...my friend wants some.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    It should be more buffs than debuffs.

Cold areas:
    +10% HP, +10% rune regen, +25% armor, +25% frost spell damage
    Temperate areas:
    +20% run speed, +10% mana regen, +50% ground mount speed, +25% mastery, +25% arcane spell damage
    Warm areas:
    +10% energy regen, +25% ground mount speed, +25% spell haste, -25% pet damage, +25% nature spell damage
    Desert areas:
    +10% rage regen, +25% crit chance, +20% ambient lighting, -50% pet damage, +25% fire spell damage
    Swampy areas:
    -50% ambient lighting, -50% pet damage, +25% shadow spell damage
    Night:
    -90% ambient lighting
    During Rain/Snow:
    -25% ambient lighting, +10% mana regen
    During Thunderstorm:
    -50% ambient lighting, +25% mana regen

PVE servers:
    -99% PVP damage, +1000% PVP resilience
    PVP servers:
    -50% flying mount speed, +100% mount cast time
    Would make for some interesting interactions. I like it
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

The effects you mentioned seem too strong, but something less powerful would be interesting - especially if the weather in the zones changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, you want something in relation to the local zone weather, if it's a hot or cold area, just have text emote complaints from your character pop up now and then. Then we'll have threads about character's whining too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could work with some slight adjustments. There are really no hazardous environments anymore.

That sounds horrific.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

All great ideas but too hard to grasp for an average baddie making up a majority of the playerbase. No chance to end up implemented.

This is the reverse of 'Quality of Life' changes, and do nothing but frustrate the player.

You have to have a compelling gameplay reason to everything. With this idea, no compelling gameplay is being added. There is no challenge to have a debuff to speed for entering a cold zone, and it will only make players avoid cold zones because they are frustrating.

The environment is not meant to be a hindrance to gameplay, and all threats are clearly visible to the player. Lava pools will hurt, standing in fire hurts, walking into spikes hurts. When you have the whole zone debuff your character for simply crossing an invisible border, it's considered 'bullshit'.

15+ Year Old Account
    You didn't understand. I'm talking about a PERMANENT EFFECTS procured by the area theme. For example a very cold land will affect players under a certain aura.
    Because that is silly even more so when you consider how you are tying certain zone types to certain debuffs. Swamp of Sorrows would be a very unenjoyable zone to level in if you lose 1% of your hit points every second. It would be terrible to hunt for battle pets their if you could actually die while battling. Or even worse die while afk in one of the inns in that zone.

Not to mention a swampy area isn't inherently bad for you. Also Northrend would be unplayable without flying mounts available. Parts of Icecrown Citadel and Storm Peaks would be inaccessible with out a flying mount. And what about the skill Cold Weather flying? What if I'm riding a mount that typical lives in Cold climates, or one that is undead and thus unaffected by temperature?

Also your aura effects don't really make any logical sense. A very cold area would reduce my movement speed, reduce my health regeneration, reduce my attack speed, and make flying mounts unavailable but boost my armor? Why? My armor isn't greater because its cold, and if that was the case why would my character's armor be amplified while not anything else? For a Very warm area mana at least would be unaffected by temperature. So would attack speed as no amount of climate change will be great enough to increase the movement of solid objects through air. At least ones that would leave our characters still alive.

That is just looking at the "in character" reasoning for such effects in such areas. That doesn't even really touch upon the game play issues of half of the zones in WoW have such large debuffs on every character. Why must such zone wide effects have any negatives at all? Why not just have buffs in certain areas? A swampy isn't inherently negative to your health so you aren't required to have a debuff just because it is a swampy area.

Not to mention you have to have debuffs that still allow for fun game play when the content becomes out dated. Swamp of Sorrows, Dustwallow Marsh, Zangarmarsh would all be near impossible to level up in for most classes. Because even while eating and drinking they would still be losing hit points. And not every class, even more so while leveling and "new to the game", are able to endlessly heal themselves up.

If the goal is to make the world feel different then actually make the world look different. Don't make the mechanics punish players because they have to go to X zone type. For example have animations and spell effects change in the different climate types. In a swamp we could have insects floating around our characters, in cold areas we could have water type spells appear more icy etc.

There is a reason why the RPG of today dropped the annoying aspects of the past. Because they were not compelling game play aspects. Some might like them but for the majority it was just annoying and didn't add much value to the game. This is why in todays age where you can do wonders with graphics that to immerse people and make areas of the world feel different is based in appearance rather then what punishment (or reward) you give a player for being in that zone.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-11-29 at 11:46 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While it is an interesting idea, it'd probably get annoying after a while. I'm all for making environments more deadly (Fel Reaver-type mobs out to crush you), as well as adding more weather effects throughout the world. Ah, the storms of Azeroth.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?