Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Tell him to repair or reinstall windows (both are options when you load the Windows disk) and not to fuck around with shit he doesn't understand in the future.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    You posted the script once, it got removed... do you seriously think posting it again is wise?
    I actually didn't notice that untill I read your comment, but I won't post anymore scripts now

The reason your method doesn't work (changing the value from 4 to 1), I think, is because it doesn't just change one key, but it removes the whole registry tree. Unless all the other keys are useless, you need to restore them too. Read my previous post.

Of course, I could be wrong, but then again it didn't work. The error might be with the user, though, and not the solution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukov View Post
    The reason your method doesn't work (changing the value from 4 to 1), I think, is because it doesn't just change one key, but it removes the whole registry tree. Unless all the other keys are useless, you need to restore them too. Read my previous post.

Of course, I could be wrong, but then again it didn't work. The error might be with the user, though, and not the solution.
    I assume you mean the last part of your previous post "So the line above adds a new registry entry with the name Start, the datatype REG_DWORD and the value 4. What this does, though, I have no idea; I can only speculate. What needs to be done is to restore the registry keys. If you have a repair cd for Windows, that'd be great, because that might be the easiest way to solve the problem. You could add the registry keys yourself with a script, too, but then you'd have to know the original registry keys."?

I don't know aht the registry keys is? do you mean registry keys for windows or? (Sorry for noob questions :P)

In the Windows registry, it basically has a tree structure, like your file system. So to use that as an analogy:

Say you have a folder called "stuff". It contains other folders called "stuff1", "stuff2" and "stuff3", which each contain files.

Now you delete the "stuff" folder, and create another folder called "otherstuff", but it does not contain "stuff1", "stuff2" and "stuff3". Even if you rename "otherstuff" to "stuff", it won't restore the files in "stuff1", "stuff2" and "stuff3". You would need to recreate those folders and their contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Taraki View Post
    I assume you mean the last part of your previous post "So the line above adds a new registry entry with the name Start, the datatype REG_DWORD and the value 4. What this does, though, I have no idea; I can only speculate. What needs to be done is to restore the registry keys. If you have a repair cd for Windows, that'd be great, because that might be the easiest way to solve the problem. You could add the registry keys yourself with a script, too, but then you'd have to know the original registry keys."?

I don't know aht the registry keys is? do you mean registry keys for windows or? (Sorry for noob questions :P)
    I answered to the one who posted the solution; sorry, I was ambiguous. The Windows registry is a database with a bunch of keys with values in them, and the purpose of this database is to configure the operating system.

As I said though; I don't think only setting the key Start to the value 1 will work, as the script your friend originally ran deleted the whole registry tree, which means all the keys that were in the Mouclass register were deleted. I think you need to restore the entire tree. To do this I suggest you to use a cd with Windows repair (as I said before), or run a script that restores the entire tree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    In the Windows registry, it basically has a tree structure, like your file system. So to use that as an analogy:

Say you have a folder called "stuff". It contains other folders called "stuff1", "stuff2" and "stuff3", which each contain files.

Now you delete the "stuff" folder, and create another folder called "otherstuff", but it does not contain "stuff1", "stuff2" and "stuff3". Even if you rename "otherstuff" to "stuff", it won't restore the files in "stuff1", "stuff2" and "stuff3". You would need to recreate those folders and their contents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukov View Post
    I answered to the one who posted the solution; sorry, I was ambiguous. The Windows registry is a database with a bunch of keys with values in them, and the purpose of this database is to configure the operating system.

As I said though; I don't think only setting the key Start to the value 1 will work, as the script your friend originally ran deleted the whole registry tree, which means all the keys that were in the Mouclass register were deleted. I think you need to restore the entire tree. To do this I suggest you to use a cd with Windows repair (as I said before), or run a script that restores the entire tree.
    I'm guessing for 2 newbies at computers it would probably be smartest for us to just re-install windows. So im wondering, I have a (legit) windows 8 key that when I bought it said I have 5 "uses" of the key. using the "1st" on this computer obviously, so does this mean I could use one of the remaining four uses on his computer and that would work as a reinstall (note: this is online bought windows = not physical CD) or would he have to buy a new CD or ?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys!

Finally figured it out (went into the control panel and then "recovery" and then he just chose to restore system from like 26th november and that worked! )

Just wanna say thanks to everybody for helping!

-Taraki

Yeah out of all the responses I find it funny no one said to you know run system restore lol. Easiest fix in the book my friends, then again I would have recommended something else that would have made your friend work a little more as he's not the brightest of the bunch to call that a virus haha.