Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] What is Your favorite Fantasy Novels?

Hi there fellow readers (if there is any around )

I am just wanting to get an idea on what peoples favorite Fantasy novels are.

I've been reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy lately. It's really, really good. Dunno if I could pick a single all-time favorite though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The name of the wind- its a trilogy -still waiting on the 3rd to come out.

The Song of Ice and Fire books by George, R.R Martin are definitely a good read, although they require a good amount of time commitment. If I'm feeling something light and quick, the Redwall books by Brian Jaques are my go-to. They're a nice feel-goody, easy read.. they're not a series so you can start wherever.And although they're suited to young adults, there's definitely some more concealed adultish themes in a couple of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson is my favourite.

Others I enjoy are "Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson, "Memory, Sorrow & Thorn" by Tad Williams and "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George Martin.

Fantasy books I enjoyed when I was growing up, but not as much now, are "The Belgariad", "The Mallorean", "The Elenium", "The Tamuli" and "The Redemption of Althalus" by David Eddings, "Dragonlance" by Tracy Hickman/Margaret Weis, and "Harry Potter" by J. K. Rowling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheel of Time is great series. If I can recall it's 14 books in the series, so you can be entertained for quite a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive read all the above, Great choices, I am now reading Ian C. Esslemont, who wrote the followup books to Steven Erickson series.

A Song of Ice and Fire series without a doubt.

Reading Mazalan Book of the Fallen at the moment.

David Eddings' series: The Belgariad, and The Mallorean.
    Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth'. I think there are 10 books plus 2 novellas. The first four are brilliant (IMHO), after that they vary.
    Just finished 'Retribution Falls' and 'Black Lung Captain' first 2 books of a series by Chris Wooding. Quite enjoyed them.

Deleted
    A Song of Ice and Fire is my favourite by far. Certainly not for the faint hearted, but a rollercoaster ride nonetheless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    David Eddings' series: The Belgariad, and The Mallorean.
    Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth'. I think there are 10 books plus 2 novellas. The first four are brilliant (IMHO), after that they vary.
    Just finished 'Retribution Falls' and 'Black Lung Captain' first 2 books of a series by Chris Wooding. Quite enjoyed them.
    thank god you stated that it is just your opinion because, while yes, the first couple of books of sword of truth are decent, they go downhill really fast.

Wheel Of Time.
    Song of Ice and Fire.
    Mistborn Trilogy.
    Stormlight Archive.

(my list)

A Song of Ice and Fire without a doubt. After finishing DwD I've been stuck on the internet reading up on all the different theories for what happens next and a lot of other things. Found the asoiaf subreddit a couple of months ago, have been glued to it ever since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything with Drizzt Do'Urden by R.A. Salvatore I pretty much love.

As mentioned above The Sword of Truth series started out great but like a few stated above at some point I just wanted to slap the main hero, tell him to grow a set, and push the main heroine off a really really high cliff. That may just be me though

10+ Year Old Account
    The Silmarillion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have such a soft spot for the Drizzt saga by RA Salvatore. Also, Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy is really good too.
    This passion is a plagiarism.

Nothing has compared to ASOIAF for me. I'm reading Dune next so I hope that sparks something.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-12-02 at 11:53 PM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    I thoroughly enjoy the works of David Gemmell. His writing style tended to be about legendary warriors with beyond normal fighting skills, it made for some (imo) epic books.

Keep in mind that ASoIF, at least so far, is extremely light fantasy.

Deleted
    Mistrborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson or Age of Misrule Trilogy by Mark Chadbourn, couldn't pick between the two

Geralt of Rivia books aka The Witcher.