Thread: Cat rage!

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cat rage!

Bought my cats one of those tree houses for nearly 200 dollars. Thought they would love the thing. Nope.. They rather sleep in a box than on their new tree house.

Put it next to a window so they can see outside. Sprinkle catnip on it... or play with them and sorta lead them on to the thing. It might just take some getting used to.

I did the same thing. Only I didn't buy a tree house, it was a smart phone. And it wasn't to my cat, it was for my mom (but completely relateable). It didn't take long for her to go back to her old button-based Nokia phone. At first I was like /facepalm, and then the classic O_o, followed by the slow shaking of my head. Then I realized the present was more about me than about her needs.

*staring at OP so he'll get the hint from this story*

If i let you pet me from time to time and not be there most of the time will you buy me 50$ worth of rp?

10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHAHAH. We have 5 cats and with all the toys they have, ranging from catnip mice, balls, racetrack, a tunnel and other stuff, guess what they all prefer ?!

Empty cardboard boxes.... They will fight on/in/for the box as they all want it to be THEIR box.

Cats be crazy mon !

Deleted
    Cats have a will of their own, but they seem to love convenience. So put the water and foodcup near that treehouse so dem cats just might care about it.

Other thing is the cardboard, the warm soft cardboard. Put some cardboard from the box on the floor of treehouse so they have some of the good ol' comfy box with them. Then it also smells familiar so its not so huge leap.

My cats are the same way.

Buy them expensive toy? Runs off and plays with a milk ring or rubber bracelet they found.

Buy them an awesome set of tunnels and cubes? Find them playing with the 5 dozen egg box instead hiding in it and attacking each other through the opening, then later sleeping in a tray from a 32 pack of Coke.

I've just accepted it. Now I just bring them cardboard boxes home to play with. After a few days, toss them and bring them fresh ones. I just give them the milk rings as well.
    They seem genuinely thrilled by all this. Their expensive stuff just gathers dust.

Deleted
    Pick up box.

Place box on new expensive cat tower.

Profit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just means they want you to buy them a bigger one

10+ Year Old Account
    They're cats, the box is always the best part. Any child knows that as well.

Put it by a window... they'll prob also like it more when it airs out a little and the store/manufacturer smell wears off.

Deleted
    Bought my cat a fantastic bed, chose the cardboard box.

I can't win.

I've always wondered why people still leave the boxes around for kids/cats/dogs to play with. Why not just give the toy or whatever and quickly throw the cardboard box away?
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I've always wondered why people still leave the boxes around for kids/cats/dogs to play with. Why not just give the toy or whatever and quickly throw the cardboard box away?
    For me it was accidental, but the bed was used by my other cat thankfully - He appreciated it... For the box i just put an old blanket in there and fin.

Deleted
    Try putting it where the cats can look out over the room. My cat loves to be high up and be able to keep check on everything going on in the room.

Like somebody said put the cat tree by a window. Cats are natural climbers, so sooner or later they'll get the urge to climb and you'll find them on the cat tree. They will love it, but passively, as a place to take a nap. Don't expect it to keep their attention 100% of the time though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simme View Post
    Try putting it where the cats can look out over the room. My cat loves to be high up and be able to keep check on everything going on in the room.
    They prefer to use the bookcase behind me It's far taller than any mere catpost i can find...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Like somebody said put the cat tree by a window. Cats are natural climbers, so sooner or later they'll get the urge to climb and you'll find them on the cat tree. They will love it, but passively, as a place to take a nap. Don't expect it to keep their attention 100% of the time though.
    That's an idea... Beside the window, i'll have to try that

Cats love to get up high and watch people. Either putting it near a window (like people have already suggested) or just putting it in the middle of activity in your house should make it more attractive to them. When they're not sleeping up there, they'll be watching things, so it's good to make sure that they have something to watch. That includes watching people.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-12-01 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    They prefer to use the bookcase behind me It's far taller than any mere catpost i can find...
    That's another potential issue with cat trees. It needs to be the tallest vantage point. Because cats like the tallest vantage point, which is why they like to climb into trees.

To ensure the most frequent cat tree usage, it must be the tallest point in the most socially active room in the house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    That's another potential issue with cat trees. It needs to be the tallest vantage point. Because cats like the tallest vantage point, which is why they like to climb into trees.

To ensure the most frequent cat tree usage, it must be the tallest point in the most socially active room in the house.
    While my two new kittens love our cat tree, our other two big adult cats love either the chair or the floor in the same room. Did we get some weird cats then? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    While my two new kittens love our cat tree, our other two big adult cats love either the chair or the floor in the same room. Did we get some weird cats then? xD
    One of mine likes to hide in the cupboards ever since she found out how to open them. They of course swing shut after she slides in, and she likes to burst out of them while your making cereal. There's been many spilled bowls of cereal and near heart attacks since she learned to open them.