Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Two Instant 90's?

Not seen this discussed yet but I thought it was worth bringing up.

As we all know, if you have the standard version of say Wrath of the Lich King from back when it came out, and then decide to upgrade it to the collectors edition for the goodies you can do so and freely obtain those rewards.

Flash forward to Warlords of Draenor. Would it be safe to assume that if you first bought the standard edition of the game got one free 90 and then upgraded to the collectors/deluxe edition that you would then receive a second free instant 90? Technically you are buying a second copy of the game and placing it over the standard one. All without the faff of having to transfer the second 90 between other accounts and so on.

Just an interesting thought for those who don't mind paying extra for more alts. Wouldn't benefit from it myself, got 11 characters on my realm.
    Butts.

I wouldn't count on it...
    Und wenn du das Spiel verlierst, ganz unten stehst, dann stehn wir hier und sing Borussia - Borussia BVB!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeller View Post
    I wouldn't count on it...
    Depends really. If it's tied to the expansion or the account. If it's tied to actually upgrading the expansion it might be safe to assume that it's possible.
    Butts.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds too exploitable. I'd imagine they'll have a flag for it, once you upgrade to WoD the flag goes up. If you then upgrade to DD/CE it sees the flag is up and doesn't give you another free 90.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    Depends really. If it's tied to the expansion or the account. If it's tied to actually upgrading the expansion it might be safe to assume that it's possible.
    I'm pretty sure it's tied to your account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Sounds too exploitable. I'd imagine they'll have a flag for it, once you upgrade to WoD the flag goes up. If you then upgrade to DD/CE it sees the flag is up and doesn't give you another free 90.
    Mhm, this is what I was thinking as well. And then I started to think a bit more on it...

Why would they really consider this a problem? More people paying twice for their expansion just to get a second level 90 character. If I were a big company like them I'd deliberately leave that flag down for people who wanted to do it. Just like how they deliberately leave the flag down for people who recruit from their own accounts for the RaF mounts & pets.
    Butts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mhm, this is what I was thinking as well. And then I started to think a bit more on it...

Why would they really consider this a problem? More people paying twice for their expansion just to get a second level 90 character. If I were a big company like them I'd deliberately leave that flag down for people who wanted to do it. Just like how they deliberately leave the flag down for people who recruit from their own accounts for the RaF mounts & pets.
    Honestly if you're going to leave the flag down for 2 or even 3 possible free 90s, then you don't do it. You clearly have no qualms against giving out unlimited free 90s, so instead you put it in the in-game shop and call it curciality.

Deleted
    Yes you can, they spoke about it at the Q&A at blizzcon. Well it was true then, they said if people really want to do it then why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Yes you can, they spoke about it at the Q&A at blizzcon. Well it was true then, they said if people really want to do it then why not.
    I believe they were talking specifically about using a second account and applying Warlords of Draenor to it and then transferring that character back to the main account. Were they not?
    Nobody actually asked about upgrading the same account to different editions of the expansion effecting it or not.
    Butts.

They have said they don't know what they will do with the instant 90 thing so far. Since people mentioned they might just by another standard wow make the instant 90 then merge the accounts, which opened the door for the cash shop instant 90.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    They have said they don't know what they will do with the instant 90 thing so far. Since people mentioned they might just by another standard wow make the instant 90 then merge the accounts, which opened the door for the cash shop instant 90.
    I think there's nothing they can do to stop exploiters. Either this has to be done fully and put on the cash shop, or not done at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there's nothing they can do to stop exploiters. Either this has to be done fully and put on the cash shop, or not done at all.
    At the start it won't really be worthwhile to do this (if it's possible) because of the cost. But towards the end of WoD when the price of the expansion drops to like $10 then it'll become a problem.
    Butts.

Buying the standard edition, and then upgrading to digital deluxe/collectors edition will most likely not give you another free level 90 character. This would be too unfair for people who only buy a collectors edition since they would only get 1 free level 90 character. People would complain that they "have to" exploit to get the most value out of their money.

Upgrading to the digital deluxe/collectors edition will only unlock the rewards that only come with the collectors edition like pets/mounts I would say.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the start it won't really be worthwhile to do this (if it's possible) because of the cost. But towards the end of WoD when the price of the expansion drops to like $10 then it'll become a problem.
    If you can get 3 90s on an account and sell that account at a huge profit, I think we'll still see it be a big deal at the start.

There's two ways to stop the exploiters. Either flag the account after one upgrade (that doesn't stop the account merger problem) or have the free 90 be a short-time deal. For instance, make it so all copies of WoD purchased in 2014 (that's at least 6 months of time then) come with a free 90. After that, no free 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm certain it will be in the shop by the end of the expansion. The only question is the price. $15 will get them more people using it while $25 will get them more money up front/limit the people willing to do it.
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can get 3 90s on an account and sell that account at a huge profit, I think we'll still see it be a big deal at the start.

There's two ways to stop the exploiters. Either flag the account after one upgrade (that doesn't stop the account merger problem) or have the free 90 be a short-time deal. For instance, make it so all copies of WoD purchased in 2014 (that's at least 6 months of time then) come with a free 90. After that, no free 90.
    The impression I got from the devs at Blizzcon was "heck, if they wanna be dumb and pay for the game multiple times for free 90's... let 'em."
    Butts.

10+ Year Old Account
    The impression I got from the devs at Blizzcon was "heck, if they wanna be dumb and pay for the game multiple times for free 90's... let 'em."
    If that's really their philosophy, I get the feeling that they're going to announce that they're putting "curciality" on the cash shop. At least in Asia to start with.

If you can get 90s that easily, an account with 90s simply loses value. They don't even need to do anything to make that happen.

Deleted
    I read somewhere that they thought to put that in the shop as a new character service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.
    They don't do that.

Buying it digitally you don't buy the CE after you have the CD Key registered for normal, you just buy the upgrade, and get the CE items.

If you entered a CD Key from a physical product, you'd just get the CE items and that's it.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?