Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Is timeless isle perfect? NO
    BUT

Timeless isle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dailies
    Timeless Isle ========== Dailies.

The worst and grindiest dailies at that.

With no supporting or evolving storyline.

To the people that apparently didnt understand it.

The easy portion is too easy, and finished within a day or two.

And then there is NO REASON to go there unless you're 'hardcore' and want to grind out the mount or some achieves or !@#$.

Its like they said 'normal dungeons are for the casuals and heroic raids are for the elites' and then simply removed EVERYTHING else in between. heroic dungeons, LFR, flex, Normal raids, etc.... running into the cata issue that players are left wondering 'err, what do i do NOW ?'

Only reason it hasnt been so rough, is that Timeless Isle has an expansion's worth of content to fall back on, which was generally much better then this patch.

Deleted
    Dailies are boring and pointless, there's absolutely no point in doing the 5.0-5.2 dailies. Shieldwall, Kirin Tor and Sunreaver rep gives you absolutely nothing useful, while the isle gives you stuff to do even beyond patch 9.0, vanity items never become obsolete. Isle of Thunder and Barrens were not interesting at all, and the weekly champion quest bosses are way too overpowered to be soloed.

You seem to do have some points Battlebeard, but I think that you are missing the forest for the tree. First of all, the Timeless Isle is one of the most accomplished implementations of actual open world content to World of WarCraft, as open world game. So the notion that somehow this shouldn't be happening is wrong, by definition. This kind of content should be in the game; it is what the game is partly about; more than dungeons even.

However, the implementation, some good points as it has, also has some bad ones. Unfortunately, in this instance, the bad points seem to overwhelm the good:
    -The island is too small. There is way too little ground to implement all these content. So things feel compressed, asphyxiatingly so. There can be wealth of terrain features, activitites to engage into and enemies to tackle; and there can be an overwhelming amount as well. In the case of the Timeless Isle, it's the latter; and there is not even an abundance of enemies, because packed as they are in places, those places are small, so they are not that many actually, and once competition arises they vanish quite fast.

-The island's small size also works against it having a wealth of content that can last and be fun. In such a small place you can develop little else but some platforming riddles, have a few different kinds of enemies, and a few settlements. So you turn to grinding/rng to keep the content alive for long. That is why the last faction takes so long to grind reputation with; that is why all those "rare" mobs (can hardly be genuine rare mobs when they appear as if with an appointment) and their low chances of dropping their special loot. They have to last the players and the developers until summer/autumn 2014.

-There is very little role-playing content. World of WarCraft is an open world game. That, is one of its most important aspects. But it is also a role-playing game. And that aspect is even more important; it is its most important actually. Yet the latest patch has hardly anything of the role-playing sort. In, sadly, recent typical Blizzard fashion, the developers went that other way around, and from lots of daily quests ad little open world activities they went to next-to-no daily quests and lots of open world activities. I don't know what's up with that. Why they can't find a nice middle ground. Why they can't offer lots of both even. Surely the players have shown that they have different tastes in such matters and appreciate both, some exclusively and some mutually; surely they have the budget to develop at such levels of quantity; and surely this batch of content is supposed to last us for months. So it should have been more, much, much more; in both kinds of activities

-Which brings negative aspect number four: this, the final major patch of the expansion, has almost always been a blunder for Blizzard. No final expansion has been met with success, due to the amount of time they lasted in comparison to the amount of content they offered. I wouldn't mind waiting until next winter even for the upcoming expansion, if it meant a great expansion, and there was end-game content to keep things fresh. This has happened three times now, and this fourth is developing right now. Why they didn't see this coming is beyond me. The final major patch of the expansion should have pretty much the most amount of content, and the most diverse: new zones (not just a single one), new quests, new open world activities, group dungeons, raid dungeon, scenarios, etc. Instead we got only a single raid dungeon and half a new zone. Of course it's not enough.

Now, about that forest: the increase in open world content is a great step for the game, because it lacked such content up to now quite a lot. This kind of content though, spread in seven, far bigger, zones? That could turn out to be quite awesome actually. So don't doom the upcoming expansion judging by the paradigm of the Timeless Isle. When implementing such gameplay elements to an entire continent's worth of content, the paradigm will shift. You have to visualize things quite differently in that case.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-12-01 at 11:54 AM.

Deleted
    You contradict yourself so much times that it is clear you don't know what you want.

- You find boring grind a reputation, don't do it. I find it boring to do pvp and I don't complain against it, I simply don't do it.
    - You don't like the geography of the isle, would you prefer a flat terrain easy to master? How "challenging" it would be.
    - You don't want gear to be easy to obtain, but charges of eternity for 50k coins (which you say are useless) are to hard to obtain. So gear comes too fast and to slow at the same time.
    - You complain you can't complete the Bigger Bags achiv, so, why exactly you need it for? And if you want it, get over its difficulties, or leave it alone. Don't cry.
    - Blood coins are just a new and different feature. Or you are being camped or you can't kill others with it, or you would not be complaining. Create a farm group if you want to complete it, or go to a PvE server if you don't want to be camped, that easy.
    - You say it supports lazy players, but you complain against the terrain, the difficulty to have coins to buy 535 gear, you complain against the grinds (which are shorter if you kill the hardest mobs), you complain against the difficulty to reach rares... I don't know who is the lazy here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm 10 items away from "Going to need a bigger bag" achievement and I'm loving the place. In fact with me starting this achiev, few other guildies joined up and we are having great fun doing it together. Good rare tracking addon and you'll ready to go.

But what I love about Timeless Island the most? It's optional! Maybe for a week or 2 most people have some upgrades there. Everything is stuff that don't influence your character progression much and are just more optional thing to do. So if you don't like the place, don't go there. Many of us love it.

Quote Originally Posted by peteypuff View Post
    2 world bosses(5 really, but you know what i mean), 4 mounts, tons of rares to kill, world pvp with incentives, a special part just for people with legendaries, hidden treasure chests for days, tons of easily obtainable lower tier gear for alts or for making a pve set from scratch... and the best part is that it's not a grind in any way. you can make it a grind if you choose but that ca be true for any part of any game, nothing on the island is required for serious pvp or pve, it's all just there for fun. if you really don't like the timeless isle i think it's time for you to move to a new game.
    The only reason to dislike TI is if you find it too difficult. I find the difficulty perfect for its rewards. I guess OP wants to kill 100k HP mobs and collect burdens... -.-

Seriously though, it's a big step forward from the Isle of the Thunder. It was pretty cool as well but after killing its rares once the rewards weren't there... The random element in rares/elites plus the timeless coins are a great way to keep you interested for an extended period of time and that's the point in a new patch really... To keep you playing.

I quit WoW approx when Lei Shen was released in LFR and resubed a month ago to complete my legendary cloak. I had 510 ilvl when I quit which was pretty ok for that time but now it's sucky... Timeless Isle was a perfect way to catch up. I have 6-7 Timeless pieces plus the cloak and can go anywhere now without having to turn Recount off :P

10+ Year Old Account
    To describe it at the worst idea created in any game ever is a little harsh. I'm certainly no fan of it thanks to the lack of structure, direction or plot. And certainly replacing "Kill 10 Mogu a day" with "Kill 70 random wandering mobs a week" to cut down on dailies was hardly inspired.

Not sure how I feel about the 496s. They are shit, but they offer pretty fast catch up so my alts have benefitted from them; I would certainly have preferred dungeon content though to get some equivalence, just so I'm actually playing the character to get them - that's kind of the weird thing with it, collecting them on my main so I can play my alts. Which I then don't play quite so much because 496s are shit and better VP gear is gated behind ToT rep... a place I've already raided to death on my main and people only want to go to on vastly overgeared toons to finish up achievements. That was probably the big fail this expansion, that expectation of gearing through old raids. People just don't do it, it's not that after they got nerfed that they were still too hard, they were just old content that people had burned out on and wanted to experience the new stuff. Something that wasn't entirely unpredictable.

It doesn't support the lazy and the bad, because the insane grinds are for anyone but the lazy, and the 496s are utterly dreadful and a lot of classes in that level gear will find most of the mobs, particularly the rares are a real threat to deal with; and there are so many that if you are bad, you'll spend a lot of time corpserunning. If anything it's too focused on the kind of people that like long grinds, while offering little, if anything to anyone who wants some bitesized story driven structured content regardless of skill level.

It is what it is. It's a testbed for new features, in a confined space. It's just not 'good' world content, but it was never meant to be. Good world content was 5.1 and 5.2; for me 5.2 was basically perfect but for the ridiculous gating behind solo scenarios that blocked you from just going with a bunch of friends' undergeared alts. Gating world content that way was very very stupid when it was already gated by server participation.

Deleted
    "...and you never leave it"
    You're totally missing the point, in classic you grinded a lot for pots, reputation, mats etc. that could give you an advantage in raiding
    Getting achiements for collection some timeless bullcrap isnt exactly the same

explain to me why you HAVE to do it
    You don't have to. I don't have to. No one has to. The timeless island is absolutely optional. And dull.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the enjoyment of it that a lot of people get. Like at all, I spend very little time there.

However, there's enough in this game anyway that even if I never visit it, I still have loads to do. So much Archaeology, pet battles, collecting stuff from old raids, LFR, leveling, real raiding, playing the AH, maintaining characters, maintaining links and friendships between guilds etc.

I think I go there to do the daily pet battle and answer the lore question then I leave immediately. Still too much to do!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Its not fun, good for collecting free leather that's about it.

I'm not a big fan either, i also prefer IoT.

But saying "is the worst idea created in any game, ever!" shows that you don't really know much about games.

I don't know how you can not like T.I relative to other world zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only gripe about the timeless isle is the randomized stats sometimes giving you only one secondary stat that uses only 75% of the stat budget (ex. piece with 900 crit versus piece with 600 crit and 600 mastery).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh to add to my post, Timeless Isle > Isle of Thunder. I hate the darker zones. But then for some reason Quel'danas beats all. I don't know whether it's just the art or the nostalgia or the fact that there was something to do when there and it became more of a hub... or maybe because my realm was populated back then... who knows, probably nostalgia.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    There has been nothing more boring in WoW's long history than Dailies, a substitute for that was needed around the Wrath of the Lich King and it is finally here on 5.4. Timeless Isle was a great feature although even that might get boring for all of us but has potential to expand even more. Compared to Dailies I loved it, I never liked the repetitive nature of daily quests because it always felt like I HAVE to do it if I want rep/charms, here on timeless isle even though I have to do it to get those things I get more than just that, I can pick a location, go for more challenging mobs or maybe less challenging mobs, get some gears for alts, get loads of charms and some cool environmental items to empower myself while I'm there.

I just hope Blizzard adds more randomness to future similar locations and adds a lot of lore related story telling through quest chains specific to those locations.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

Deleted
    I love it how the second post got reported+infraction warning yet OP starts trolling, flaming as well and has nothing on him.
    Oh mods

10+ Year Old Account
    You complain that timeless isle encourages casual/ "bad" players then go on about how you can never get a kill because those casual/bad players camp rare spawns which prevents you from just swooping in and tagging it? 0o

Ever thought you are the bad one if you can't be bothered to put in effort to camp the bosses in order to get the reward?...

It's getting childish how people go around screaming stuff like "bad" "casual" "noob" -.-'

Timeless Isle was ok, but it really didn't last that long for me. I got a few burdens and farmed my rep, got the mount from huolon, and I'm pretty much done with the place. I do go back for world bosses every week, but those could really be anywhere. If you compare it with the molten front from cataclysm, I spent a lot more time on that content since it took something like 30 days minimum to unlock everything. I suppose if you have several under-geared alts that you really want to gear up with burdens you could spent a lot more time there, but for me it was rather underwhelming.

Deleted
    I loved timeless isle. PvP <3