Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    did they fix the aoe server lag thingy
    Not sure what you mean, but when realms get really full, or at least when zones are packed full of people doing FATE's, realm latency is still terrible. Couple that with the fact that the majority of figh mechanics revolve around moving out of AoE in time, it makes for an aggravating experience.

This isn't as much of an issue incontent you access through the Duty Finder because it takes place on their own server, but it can be an issue sometimes.

Regardless, the game is definitely worth a look at. Leveling is pretty engaging on your first character due to the main scenario quests, and if you enjoy running dungeons for fun rather than difficulty it's great, but what nocturnus says is true, the difficulty is lower than what most hardcore/ experienced raiders are used to.

10+ Year Old Account
    what I mean is this:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...-fix-something.

well after 163 pages, seams not to be fixed.

=> I will not be back.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    None of it. We cleared turn 1 and 2 the first evening we tried it and could clear up to 4 in less than 50 minutes not long after that. As for turn 5, we never bothered trying, because it's said to be nigh impossible due to incorrect tuning. Fact stands that for a raid focussed FC this game only had 50 minutes of content to offer, per week.

On top of that, the game's "hardest" content is being pugged succesfully up to turn 3. Some might find that great game design, we don't. Hard content should require coordination, coommunication and a static group.

I don't think I need to explain my dissatisfaction with the responsiveness and game-engine since everyone is experiencing that.

Squeenix disagrees with you, since they are adding PvP in the next patch. Not that it will work, considering the horrible polling rate servers run on. We're raiders and this game doesn't offer enough challenging content to satisfy our needs. So we disagree and that's perfectly fine.

Thank's for stating the obvious. We know how jobs and sub-jobs work, but is leveling an alt fun? Personally I don't enjoy fate grinding. I like doing quests, following an engaging story and seeing the world. Not afk-ing in a town until you hear the fate-drums which trigger you to run to the fate, spam your AE and run back to position. That's not playing a game (having fun), that's repeating a mind-numbing action ad nauseum (a grind).
    It's an asian MMO. You played the wrong the game if you expected otherwise. This is not WoW, nothing is handed to you on a platter with free gear and free ways to level toons up to 90. In every FF game you can get to end game content easy the first time, but if you want to do anything extra, guess what, you need to grind for hours and hours and hours over and over and over again. And once you've gotten halfway to your goal, there is more grinding involved. It never ends. And as unlikely as it seems, people do like that kind of gameplay. It is something to work for. A sense of achievement, because there are many more who don't want to grind.

As for raiding, as I have explained before, this is the launch. To expect a lot of perfectly tuned raids cannot possibly be realistic. I am glad they didn't concentrate on raids, and concentrated on the leveling experience, the world, and the entire game in general, otherwise all we would have is a ton of people who bum rush the game, and try to be the first to complete all content. And once they complete all of the raids, they will quit and STILL complain about the game. Raiding will have its time, but the time is not right now.

I have to ask, why are you here? If you don't like the game, then move on. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but I've seen you on other topics and all you've done is try and find every opportunity to bash the game. Yes you don't have to explain your dissatisfaction, but you don't need to shove it down people's throats either. Go have fun in another game, and should you choose to comeback after more content is released and they fix the issues, you are more than welcome to.

The client/server positioning lag will be addressed in 2.1 for PvP and "high-level dungeons." Twintania has been nerfed to where more and more FCs are clearing her. I will agree with the lack of challenging content, but I'm hoping more will be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutartwo View Post
    It's an asian MMO. You played the wrong the game if you expected otherwise. This is not WoW, nothing is handed to you on a platter with free gear and free ways to level toons up to 90.
    Interesting that you mention this, since I experienced the complete opposite;

- The relic quest is so incredibly easy that it can be completed in an hour. Basically you get the best weapon in game, with little effort.
    - Getting BiS items is as easy as it gets, since its only threshold is the quantity of tomes you can gather by repeating the same content over and over again. Not the amount of skill you have allowing you to best tough bosses.
    - Leveling up a sub-job is a matter of grinding fates for a few days.

A less skilled player, can end up with gear of equal quality as a hardcore Coil raider. This is handing out loot on a shiny platter for free. "Other games" require you to do the hardest content there is, to receive the highest possible ilvl gear. FF gives it to you.

Grinding has nothing to do with difficulty. In fact, grinding is easy, it doesn't require any skill, coordination or team-work.

Since you compared it to WoW, can you get ilvl 574 gear by repeating simple dungeons hundreds of times? No. You can't. So allow me to ask you, which game hands out free loot again?

Yeah, thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    did they fix the aoe server lag thingy ?
    Still there and it don't count on it being fixed since that would entail changing the whole infrastructure both server- as clien-side.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2013-12-06 at 07:51 PM.

- The relic quest is so incredibly easy that it can be completed in an hour. Basically you get the best weapon in game, with little effort.
    - Getting BiS items is as easy as it gets, since its only threshold is the quantity of tomes you can gather by repeating the same content over and over again. Not the amount of skill you have allowing you to best tough bosses.

A less skilled player, can end up with gear of equal quality as a hardcore Coil raider. This is handing out loot on a shiny platter for free. "Other games" require you to do the hardest content there is, to receive the highest possible ilvl gear. FF gives it to you.

Grinding has nothing to do with difficulty. In fact, grinding is easy, it doesn't require any skill, coordination or team-work.

Since you compared it to WoW, can you get ilvl 574 gear by repeating simple dungeons hundreds of times? No. You can't. So allow me to ask you, which game hands out free loot again?

Yeah, thought so.

Still there and it don't count on it being fixed since that would entail changing the whole infrastructure both server- as clien-side.
    Myth gear isn't BiS for all classes.

Yeah, thought so.

Why don't you read my post and compare what you just wrote to what you wrote previously.

- You said you weren't interested in grinding fates to level up additional classes. I said it's easy to get to end game, if you want to do anything else expect to grind.
    - My point wasn't about if you think grinding is easy or not, my point is you are complaining about grinding when that is exactly what Asian MMO's are, especially with the FF series.
    - I never said you get BiS on a platter in WoW, nor did I say you don't get the best weapon within an hour. What I did say is you get free gear and free ways to be 90. And then you claim you can get BiS gear by running the same dungeon over and over again, which goes back to my grinding comment. Gotta grind the dungeons over and over and over just to get best gear.
    - Whether you agree with me or not, LFR is free loot. Plain and simple.

- In order to get every piece of loot that is the same as binding coil, you need to grind dungeons at least 150 times (if thats all you do) over the course of about 15 weeks (pulling numbers out of my ass cause really I just don't care anymore, but you catch my drift). And this is where it is determined that the game is not meant for you. The game rewards grind, not defeating a boss a couple of times. You grind to get gear to help you kill things quicker and quicker. Guys like me who put in a lot of hours doing side stuff are the ones who come out on top for once. This is what Final Fantasy is about.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is WoW without HC mode.

VP and Normal drop the same ilvl gear, for depends on class some pieces are better than others.

They are buffing Coil weapon next patch also.

LFR loot is comparable to GC loot which is acquired way more easily than ilvl 528 loot, since you'll be capped on seals half way to 50.

Fact stands that you can get ilvl 70 and 90 gear by doing extremely easy content. You can beat around the bush all you want, but it remains a fact.

You can't get ilvl 574 gear by face-rolling through dungeons. You can't get ilvl 553 gear by repeating the same 'cut scene' 10 times. You actually need to do something that requires brain activity.

You can equip yourself with a full ilvl 90 set, without ever having set foot in coil - which, by the way, is the case for almost everyone that has played the game from release.

This isn't bias, these aren't opinions, these are all undeniable facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    This is WoW without HC mode.
    VP and Normal drop the same ilvl gear, for depends on class some pieces are better than others.
    They are buffing Coil weapon next patch also.
    They do? Please point me towards this amazing vendor that sells ilvl 553 gear.

The game rewards grind[/B], not defeating a boss
    That's what I said. You simply expressed this truth in a different way: ARR doesn't reward skill. It rewards those that are willing to do the same 2 dungeons beyond enjoyment. Of course one could argue they enjoy doing AK and WP 150 times but only the mentally challenged would believe such nonsense.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this doesn't work in FF's advantage. Personally I couldn't care less about loot. I've always played MMOs to beat the hardest fights, not to gather loot. I was one of those players that refused to do CM more than a few times for the simple reason I didn't enoy it. Thousands farmed that shit ad nauseum, resulting in an amazing set of DL gear, on a character that's being controlled by some player that has a hard time avoiding landslides and bombs.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2013-12-07 at 12:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LFR loot is comparable to GC loot which is acquired way more easily than ilvl 528 loot, since you'll be capped on seals half way to 50.

Fact stands that you can get ilvl 70 and 90 gear by doing extremely easy content. You can beat around the bush all you want, but it remains a fact.

You can't get ilvl 574 gear by face-rolling through dungeons. You can't get ilvl 553 gear by repeating the same 'cut scene' 10 times. You actually need to do something that requires brain activity.

You can equip yourself with a full ilvl 90 set, without ever having set foot in coil - which, by the way, is the case for almost everyone that has played the game from release.

That's what I said. You simply expressed this truth in a different way: ARR doesn't reward skill, but grinding.
    Ummmm GRAND COMPANY! Really man? That gear is SHIT myth is where it's at(ok myth allagan and crafted mixed for BIS) But yeah even with DL no way in hades would you be maxed sans massive dungeon running.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ummmm GRAND COMPANY! Really man? That gear is SHIT myth is where it's at(ok myth allagan and crafted mixed for BIS) But yeah even with DL no way in hades would you be maxed sans massive dungeon running.
    Well, OBVIOUSLY. Did you even read the post? LFR loot (lowest quality epics in WoW) is comparable to GC gear. Myth is gear of the highest ilvl, comparable to WoW's heroic gear. The difference is that Myth is gear is given to anyone that's willing to grind a simple dungeon, whereas you need to actually beat the hardest content to gather heroic gear.

Grind easy stuff versus beat hard stuff. It's a matter of opinion, but the latter keeps me engaged. I don't enjoy easy and I don't enjoy repetition on automatic-pilot without any effort whatsoever.

That's what I said. You simply expressed this truth in a different way: ARR doesn't reward skill, but grinding.
    It's really funny you are talking about wow past patch 5.4. Before 5.4 you could buy gear at the vendors.

Everything you said is nothing I care about, except for one thing. GRINDING! That is the asian MMO market. That is the game Final Fantasy. That is what I've been telling you about. Fine, you don't like it, but there are clearly other people who do. And SE caters to those people. One day they will put in raids that do matter, but until then, there is no sense in complaining. SE has made it clear they did not want to make a game that will kill WoW, Yoshi made a game that he could be proud of. They never intended ff14 arr to clear 6 million players, let alone 1 million, as was shown on launch as they only expected 400k. They are catering to a select audience, and you are not one of them.
    All I wanted to do was to let the OP know that just because you don't like the way game plays, doesn't mean he should stay away from it. The raid is fine, not the best, but it still is fine. PVP is coming out soon, so you can't judge that. Leveling alts are just easy enough if you like to grind (again some people like that).

I'm going home for the weekend now to play ff14, because I like it, and I'm not going to respond to you as I consider my point made. I'm going to run (grind) a bunch of dungeons so I can get my chest piece, because I like it. And I may just run coil, because I like it. And I am going to grind my mining to 50 to complete my DoL, because (you guessed it) I want to. And, I've been debating leveling my maurader, and I may just have fun with it. If I don't, I won't sit around and tell everyone not to play it, I'll just start leveling my conjurer or make some sweet sweet gil from crafting (crafting that I spent hours, if not days, grinding).

snip
    And that's perfectly fine. Some people enjoy collecting stamps, others enjoy playing football. Viva la diversitá!

All the points you "made" have little to do with my reply to your "omg WoW gives free loot" retort. I merely explained why I thought the opposite was true and I did so in a fairly eloquent way, if I say so myself.

600k subs is more than FFXI ever made so I'd say ARR is pretty succesful!

I won't even dignify the "WoW killer" nonsese with a response.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have they took it out?

I quitted WoW just as SoO came out, until then you can always get raid equivalent VP gear form VP farming.

Have they took it out?

I quitted WoW just as SoO came out, until then you can always get raid equivalent VP gear form VP farming.
    They did and even then, you could only buy a few pieces. You could never get a full set or the highest quality gear.

Have they took it out?

Yeah, SoO was the first raid patch to launch without a VP vendor. Timeless Isle is supposed to replace that for people playing catchup. However, as Noc has been posting, the gear pales in comparison to SoO normal, let alone heroic.

10+ Year Old Account
    They did and even then, you could only buy a few pieces. You could never get a full set or the highest quality gear.
    I said it is like "WoW without HC mode", means normal would have been the highest quality. And VP vendor also sell Normal quality gear with VP, that is what I meant.

And you can pretty much get full set up except 1 or 2 pieces only (at least hold true up til ToT)

No MH/OH, 1 trinket, 1 ring, no helm slot, shoulder slot was at Exalted and without a gem slot. Pretty sure bracer wasn't a slot either, but I'm not entirely sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    No MH/OH, 1 trinket, 1 ring, no helm slot, shoulder slot was at Exalted and without a gem slot. Pretty sure bracer wasn't a slot either, but I'm not entirely sure.
    MH/OH were never part of VP anyway, but then neither in FF so no difference there.

Ring and Trinket understandable, same as FFXIV unless you are DRG/MNK, you pretty much can only get 1 ring, but not sure how optimal is that as I hate melee classes.

Missing the helm and bracer would be the missing slots then, this is where XI is differ slightly as we can get all from vendor, however not all are good (for BRD they are mostly shit) So it comes to choose between Allagan and Myth and hoping the new Extreme accessories are ilvl90 also, but a FC mate made a good point that since we currently have no ilvl80 stuff yet, with CT coming, it is likely to be ilvl80.

And one thing I am happy with WoW is they finally decided to take out tiers from vendor in MoP and now even gear from vendor. With the existence of LFR the vendor isn't really needed anymore.

The changes are interesting, but at this stage, not enough for me to want to re-sub.

I decided to quit just before December, for a few reasons. 1 was that my PC struggled during crowded FATES during end game FATE grinding, and even a struggled a little bit during the last 2 8 man story dungeons (I badly need some upgrades )

2 was back to the FATEs, as I may have considered sticking around to finish my alt and max out a few more classes on my main, but the end game FATE grinding is frustrating beyond belief. Ignoring that it is super boring to join a group and mindlessly zerg everything, but the game insisted on displaying players over mobs. Why? When you're out in the world to fight mobs, why exactly would you design the game to HIDE mobs in favour of players when too many things are on screen?

Many times I found myself wishing for an option like Aion that would hide the model of all other players bar me. (When FATE grinding, who really cares what the other players are doing?)
    Turning off spell effects help, but I think I'd like to see an option that all effects otehr players can cause in the world (Like those purple circle things, whatever they are) be hidden.

Next was that being able to gear for end game seemed intimidating, as I hear so many horror stories of people being stuck and having to buy runs of certain bosses to finish their relic. While I understand I don't need to be joining an FC to do allot of content, the wait times combined with (what seems to be) a high failure rate for duty finder pugs put me right off. This may not be the case, but given my PC issues, I decided I didn't want to try.

This talk of requiring a full preset team for the crystal tower for example, I also find a bit offputting. I raid in WoW, but I also like that I still have access to the raids, with a good expectation that while some groups will fail, most will succeed so I have have that carrot to tempt me forward.
    I don't wish to be in a commit team in other MMOs, and for me, that usually means I quite quickly hit that wall where everything else is out of reach, and I'm given no real reason to keep playing.

Mind you I'm still keeping an eye on FF14 as I really did enjoy the game, and if they release a patch later to smooth out the level experience so you don't feel compelled to FATE grind so much towards the end (Tho the GC mark system has me thinking it was intended) and I get some PC upgrades, I'll probably eventually resub again.
    Last edited by Icaras; 2013-12-08 at 04:44 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom