Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Crime is happening. Someone being mugged. You film it, bring the evidence to the police, it might help in apprehending the mugger. You try to help and get stabbed. Or shot. Or if you have a gun, start a shootout. Risk the lives of random people.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

The video can sometimes be helpful when it's needed as evidence. But yeah, it does bother me when people start filming as their immediate reaction instead of directly helping. Although, I can say that some accident scenes already have far too many people trying to help, and there's a point where you're just getting in the way if you try to help. I'd say, at that point, go ahead and whip the phone out if you want.

Now, if you're the first person to stumble across an accident scene, and your first reaction is to stick your phone in the victim's face and go "LOL AWESOME YOUTUBE VID" instead of calling an ambulance or trying to help, you probably need your ass kicked.

Though I'm talking more about things like car accidents. Shootouts or fights are completely different. I imagine you'd actually have to be more careful if you were filming, because you're going to be a target if a bad guy with a gun sees you pointing a camera/phone at him.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-12-01 at 04:40 PM.

I have seen very very few videos where the person filming an incident would have been helpful in any way. I'm sure you can dig up a few out of the millions of videos that are out there, but it really isn't a very meaningful amount.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    Is any one else amazed be the number of people that witness a horrible accident, verbal assault, assulat or criminal ativity etc and the first and only thing they do is film on their phone.
    Are they just gutless wonders or do they want e fame while people die in front of them.
    I think it is utterly disgusting when people fil and do nothing to help especially when no one else is there or helping.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Sometimes there is nothing they can do or its better to wait for authorities. Nothing wrong with filming because it will be solid evidence if needed.

reminds me of this picture. The photographer ended up committing suicide

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Sometimes there is nothing they can do or its better to wait for authorities. Nothing wrong with filming because it will be solid evidence if needed.

reminds me of this picture. The photographer ended up committing suicide
    Not then i condone the man's suicide, but you have to be a heartless prick to allow that to happen, That is heart breaking, and how people try to justify it, is even beyond comprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Not then i condone the man's suicide, but you have to be a heartless prick to allow that to happen, That is heart breaking, and how people try to justify it, is even beyond comprehensible.
    No he is not heartless, he committed suicide out of guilt and depression from that photo. There was so little he could have done to save that starving boy who only had a day or two to live

if I was just in a bad car accident I really really want some dumbass good Samaritan wannabe with no medical training what so ever trying to fuck me up even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Scare off the vulture so another comes as soon as he leaves?
    The child was not dead at that point.

Selfishness and fear.

OP: It's easy to call foul on other people, but, until you've seen how you'd act in the same situation, you've got no room to talk.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm aware. Scaring off the vulture would not have changed the eventual outcome unless you think he's personally responsible for ensuring that child's future because he has witnessed its plight. If that's what you'd like to argue though, then I will be more than happy to argue that in fact anyone who is aware of the famine that is common in many parts of Africa has effectively borne witness to it and you should blame yourself first for not doing more to help.
    I do help out with a few charities, but i don't have the money to do everything for everyone. So no, i do not have to blame myself. The man was right next to the child, he could have done something, but he decided to take a picture, and did nothing, in which case he ended up killing himself out of guilt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the 21st century, the age of the tourist of life.

Jump in and put myself in harm's way. And most likely get sued successfully for trying to do the right thing.

It pays to be a coward. Cowardly is cool.

In all seriousness we live in such a litigious society that you end up doing more harm than good trying to help.
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    I do help out with a few charities, but i don't have the money to do everything for everyone. So no, i do not have to blame myself. The man was right next to the child, he could have done something, but he decided to take a picture, and did nothing, in which case he ended up killing himself out of guilt.
    Taking the picture is doing something. Give the kid a sammich? Not going to fix the problem. Just a delaying tactic, if that. Raise awareness about the issue? At least some progress there. Seriously, what's he going to do? Spend the rest of his life taking care of this kid? I think you underestimate the situation.

Is any one else amazed be the number of people that witness a horrible accident, verbal assault, assulat or criminal ativity etc and the first and only thing they do is film on their phone.
    Are they just gutless wonders or do they want e fame while people die in front of them.
    I think it is utterly disgusting when people fil and do nothing to help especially when no one else is there or helping.

What are your thoughts on this?
    First off, about the Paul Walker accident... You did see how badly the car was burning and how insane the wreck was right,? The chances of a live person being in that car was minimal. And how many people would actually risk their own lives in order to save someone who likely brought this on himself by reckless driving? Not saying that this was the case here... But if you abide by the laws in traffic, the chances of something like this happening are really small. I'd really love to see all of those big mouths here jump into a burning car to save a stranger (since noone knew who was in the car untill the body was identified).

Secondly, in some other cases it does disgust me when people don't help. In philosophy we saw a video of multiple cases like this. One example was a woman getting a heart attack or something... In the emergency room. None of the people there called a nurse or anything and none of the doctors/nurses there appearently helped either and she died. That just fucked up, people who don't help in such a situation are awful. Another was a guy getting robbed on the street and everyone just ignoring it. In these situations I do think people should help. But you shouldn't endanger yourself for someone elses life. If someone else dies it's a tragedy, if you do it's over and your action will be nothing but a fading memory.

Its still pathetic and disrespectful
    Agree

Filming a crime(that you are unable to stop for whatever reason) and handing it to cops as evidence is one thing.

Filming a crime OR accident to get more youtube views is disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Deleted
    I'm not going to risk my life to save somebody I don't know. Fuck that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    First off, about the Paul Walker accident... You did see how badly the car was burning and how insane the wreck was right,? The chances of a live person being in that car was minimal. And how many people would actually risk their own lives in order to save someone who likely brought this on himself by reckless driving? Not saying that this was the case here... But if you abide by the laws in traffic, the chances of something like this happening are really small. I'd really love to see all of those big mouths here jump into a burning car to save a stranger (since noone knew who was in the car untill the body was identified).

Secondly, in some other cases it does disgust me when people don't help. In philosophy we saw a video of multiple cases like this. One example was a woman getting a heart attack or something... In the emergency room. None of the people there called a nurse or anything and none of the doctors/nurses there appearently helped either and she died. That just fucked up, people who don't help in such a situation are awful. Another was a guy getting robbed on the street and everyone just ignoring it. In these situations I do think people should help. But you shouldn't endanger yourself for someone elses life. If someone else dies it's a tragedy, if you do it's over and your action will be nothing but a fading memory.
    I am not saying you have to put yourself in danger and help. I am saying why is the first reaction of these poeple to pull out a camera and film it. They are filming the coprses burning in a wreck so it can get them views on youtube. You see nothing wrong with this? They have no reslect for the dieing.
    Also when you pull out your phone and record a crime you are making yourself a target and thus getting yourself involved
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate