Deleted

Fire mage SimC results (ilvl 574) Mastery>Haste?

So, I've decided to run SimC again for the first time in a pretty long time, and suddenly, these are my results:

Armory is in my sig. Settings: All buffs enabled, all debuffs enabled, 50k iterations, low world lagg, 450 sec, patchwerk, raid boss level, elite player skill.

Thi is the first time I've seen Simc give me mastery>haste this expansion, I only very recently got Immerseus trinket. Is SimC overvalueing mastery due to it? Does anyone think this is actually correct? Opinions?

I'm very confused by these results, especially since multiple tests i've done upto a month or so back always gave me different results than mastery this high, almost equalling crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, SimC is known to be inaccurate for Fire, so that's the first thing to consider. I assume this is the updated version you're using? If it's the 5.3 version the model will obviously overvalue mastery due to combustion being significantly stronger. What sort of distribution are you seeing for your various damage sources? Do they line up with what you see on a similar style fight right now?

Regarding the Immerseus trinket, you get the same bonus to mastery and haste, so that won't contribute to mastery being preferred to haste.

diminishing returns

you have such obscenely high haste for fire (over 16k)

and such low mastery (3k) that the marginal gains for mastery probably outweigh it

furthermore with t16 2pc youll be beyond the gcd cap anyways so id say from a marginal standpoint mastery is better for you right now

Deleted
    It is the 541-2 version, latest non alpha version. Damage sources seem roughly the same to my logs. Dps spikes are quite a bit lower, but I'm guessing that's due to it not optimizing alter time as much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by onemanaleft View Post
    diminishing returns

you have such obscenely high haste for fire (over 16k)

and such low mastery (3k) that the marginal gains for mastery probably outweigh it

furthermore with t16 2pc youll be beyond the gcd cap anyways so id say from a marginal standpoint mastery is better for you right now
    I guess that makes sense, though I'm not beyond the GCD cap, only with BL, meta, and 5 stacks my spells hit sub 1.0 sec casts. (my gcd is 1.0 seconds due to my haste) Which is like 10 seconds during a fight max.

You also need to remember that Simc overvalues mastery due to Simc always getting the best possible combustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedel View Post
    You also need to remember that Simc overvalues mastery due to Simc always getting the best possible combustion.
    What do you mean by best possible combustion?

Last time I checked Simc devalued Combustion by a lot for those that could max the combustion damage, but then again this was in last patch, and I haven't played Fire since. So don't shoot me if it has changed

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Last time I checked Simc devalued Combustion by a lot for those that could max the combustion damage, but then again this was in last patch, and I haven't played Fire since. So don't shoot me if it has changed
    I could be wrong since I didn't run many simulations much prior to MoP(played a prot paladin). But what I understood was that simc was devaluing mastery during ToT due to all of the damage buffs players were recieving. Which if you were a skilled player could use your advantage to "double-dip" the bonus. Your pyro was larger thus mastery was larger and then your combustion was x% larger due to the buff. Thus causing mastery to be a huge bonus to damage. SoO doesn't have as many of these buffs.

I should have put more text around my statement. Simc overvalues mastery for a non-elite fire mage with high world lag. Simc never misses a strong string of crits to turn into a combustion when combustion is ready. A mechanic might cause you to miss a combustion, having terrible lag can cause you to miss a combustion, thinking you crit but didn't might cause you to have a low combustion(that's my issue when I play fire). That is how I was told to look at simc and fire mastery stat weights. This is probably only important when haste and mastery are close in your sims, probably doesn't have much importance in this discussion on second-thought.

I could be wrong since I didn't run many simulations much prior to MoP(played a prot paladin). But what I understood was that simc was devaluing mastery during ToT due to all of the damage buffs players were recieving. Which if you were a skilled player could use your advantage to "double-dip" the bonus. Your pyro was larger thus mastery was larger and then your combustion was x% larger due to the buff. Thus causing mastery to be a huge bonus to damage. SoO doesn't have as many of these buffs.

I should have put more text around my statement. Simc overvalues mastery for a non-elite fire mage with high world lag. Simc never misses a strong string of crits to turn into a combustion when combustion is ready. A mechanic might cause you to miss a combustion, having terrible lag can cause you to miss a combustion, thinking you crit but didn't might cause you to have a low combustion(that's my issue when I play fire). That is how I was told to look at simc and fire mastery stat weights. This is probably only important when haste and mastery are close in your sims, probably doesn't have much importance in this discussion on second-thought.
    Mm, it might be. In any way Simcraft for mages has been off for a long time, not least cause it expects to have perfect uptime on T6 talents, which is near impossible on most fights.

I really enjoyed 5036 Haste Fire last tier and opting for Mastery. Was easier to play the spec to its full potential with Meta proc + Time Warp up or just the input lag on fights like Megarea and Jinrohk. I was hoping at some point somebody would come along and prove we could do this again (not that we can trust Simc here though).

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Mm, it might be. In any way Simcraft for mages has been off for a long time, not least cause it expects to have perfect uptime on T6 talents, which is near impossible on most fights.
    It had a bad habit of over-valuing Mirror Image DPET in T15 as well. It's helpful to a degree but it spits out some weird shit sometimes.