Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by xixixviixiiii View Post
    I liked a bunch of dailies in Wrath and a few in Cataclysm & Mists but it was a bit much at 5.0 levels. Had they simply added a system like we have now (work orders, bonus dungeon reputation) from the start, it would have been okay.

Timeless Isle sucks. I've been grinding elites and random mobs on my 564 ilevel rogue to funnel gear to a fresh 90 DK and not only am I not finding any usable gear but I've been beyond bored the whole time. Running around in a mass of people, who spam rare timers all day and zerging down mobs in a few seconds, then waiting for 30+ seconds to loot half of what died is just dumb. It is almost as bad as the Barrens "content."

Edit: ^ Poster said the same thing I did while I was typing my response. =P
    So, why not gear up your DK the traditional way? How you play is your choice. Timeless Isle is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    And that's something I never thought I would EVER say! I don't quiet know why, first few weeks I enjoyed Timeless BUT then I began grinding the various reputations in Pandaria and soon realized I actually preferred dailies. Sure they're tedious BUT they alternate daily, take no more than an hour, offer good income and don't require spamming general or Oqueue.
    The problem was the number and the fact that they gated valor gear and recipe behind those reps; that make them felt mandatory and tedius, also many peoples felt the need to do them with alts that was another point against dailies.
    If they put the valor point gear and the recipes to the normal vendor and left only vanity item to rep vendor no one would have complained; also removing the tabard system was a bad move they should have left it untouched and just put a boa tabard to exalted to make it a less painfull grind for alts.
    Timeless island felt like "ok guys we give up take your epics and shut up pls".
    How about we let the parenting of kids to... their parents? No, seriously, World of Warcraft is a videogame. Gaming it's supposed to be a fun activity (if you have that fun through challenges, social interactions, etc is completely up to you). Not some kind of "School of Hard Knocks about the Real World".

I got bored of timeless isle after about 2 weeks. Farming those 50 items for 200VP? Absolute waste of time, and very, very boring.

I don't mind dailies, I see no reason why they can't mix it up a bit

I'm not a huge fan of timeless island but it's still better than the dailies i think.
    I did like the progressive storyline we had with the dailies in 5.1 though. It made me almost do half of them.

Think blizzard should give both alternatives since there is people that likes the dailies, and i'm fine with them being there as long as i can avoid them entirely
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Oh, I almost forgot, the one thing I love about timeless isle is... lesser charms. with dailies being the only source of lesser charms I never really had them, because, well, I hated dailies.
    no I have still about 1300, just from doing stuff on the isle.

maybe the drop rate is a bit too high considering the amount I have, and I'm not exactly doing much on the isle.... but you get the point.

the mistake blizzard made was having dailies being the only source of getting stuff (rep, lesser charms, you name it). now with Timeless isle they made the other mistake with grinding being the only source for rep (although it is only for rep here).
    I think, blizzard is aware of those two issues, and they will make a proper balance for it. there still will be dailies, but I can imagine that there still will be grinding stuff, and both ways are getting you all the stuff, and you can choose.

It's like the idea of doing something over and over again being boring is new to people.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Hopefully the execution in WoD will be better. Yes, the Island is rather small, so "adventuring" is quite limited. However, when we're on Draneor, there will be a lot more to explore. I too agree with some posters suggestions to have a balance of both. I don't like the "little to no dailies," but 5.1 was an orgy of dailies that I don't care to do... again, hopefully, they'll find a nice balance.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Don't grind it to exhaustion, then? Why people force themselves to do these things is beyond me...
    I've been thinking the same thing. "What is this, when I do the same thing every day for 3 months it gets boring!" Surprising!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    You're still not being forced. Why people keep playing a game like it's a job to the point they don't enjoy it and then blame Blizzard for everything is kind of funny. For months have people whined on these forums that the game had too many dailies. The dailies are still there but they introduce new content - people whine for more dailies. Lol, community.
    It's an issue with the progression system, honestly. I agree, the community could do better in the sense that you don't NEED a certain ilevel to do well with the game. The problem is the people who DO need that item level to do well in the game greatly outnumbers the amount of people who don't.

Here's why it's a multi-layer problem:
    -The 'progression' in the game is limited to crafting and LFR to get to current content, or starting an old raid and hoping your raid doesn't fall on the day everyone decides to do the current content raid.
    -The community, due to players being unable to pull their own weight in low gear levels (mostly due to insanely high gear scaling, but even back when gear didn't scale insanely high it was a problem), nearly REQUIRES people to have at or above the item level of the item drops in the raid they are trying to do when forming a pick up group.
    -Guilds refusing to accept people below a certain ilevel threshold (unless they are a highly sought after class/role)

We can argue all day whether or not people should do it if it makes them upset. BUT for the sake of the argument, let's put into perspective:
    -People have fun when they do endgame content.
    -'Endgame' content these days refers to the current content raid, dailies, and any new content along with it. (For this patch, Timeless Isle)
    -It is rare (not impossible) that people will have fun in older content, even that which is only a patch or two old.

So now we come to the problem:
    The current model is, you hit max level and try to gear up. This can be done in many ways, BUT the 'required' way everyone talks about is the FASTEST way to do it. (Grind max-level catch up and LFR till you have the ilevel to do current content.) The OPTION do skip all that is there, but you have to be concerned with:
    a) ilevel scaling making you unable to do enough DPS/threat/heals to keep up in current content
    b) the community ridiculing you for trying with a low ilevel
    c) no one even considering joining due to your low ilevel.
    People tell you to join a guild, but while I can't speak for PvP, any half-decent raid guild who accepts people below ilevel usually doesn't get very far. Your pugs will, at best, get you a few pieces of gear and you'll be stuck with raiding several weeks in sub par gear which, even assuming you manage to gear a full set, is STILL sub par at best. Leaving you to grind the catch up mechanic and LFR anyway to reach current content so people won't just scoff at you when you try to form a raid.

If you don't want to do that, you have one option this patch: Timeless Isle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If a building's about to collapse, you can debate whether it's better to demolish it or repair it, and you can make political-agenda arguments either way. Disputing gravity itself to claim it won't fall down is not a political position, it's just ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vren View Post
    I'm just now getting exalted with the Shado-pan and August Celestials.
    I've only just got friendly with them! Find myself doing dailies now the pressure to do them is off, how odd.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    I got bored of timeless isle after about 2 weeks. Farming those 50 items for 200VP? Absolute waste of time, and very, very boring.

I don't mind dailies, I see no reason why they can't mix it up a bit
    I switched to this approach:
    I go and do the 20 elites daily. While I do that, I get:
    1. some epoch stones for the 50 stones weekly
    2. reputation towards shao-hao for the quest (275 rep).

I do that for as often as it I need to reach the 50 stones. Then I turn that quest in and be done for the week. It's usually 3 times the daily.
    I've found me a sweet little spot where I can kill the elites fairly quickly, even on a high pop realm.
    I also do the weekly pet battle scenario, and Ordos/Celestials. But then I am done with it.
    All in all maybe 2 1/2 hours total there during the week. That includes the Pet Battle Scenario, which takes me about 45 min, since I am not the most lucky battler and the damn RNG keeps setting me back almost every week.

Any achievement or whatever item of value that's on that island, I am going to clear up during the next expansion, when the island is utterly abandoned and the mobs fall over just from seeing me... lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

The reason I am doing Timeless is because besides LFR & PvP there's nothing to do! At least Dailies offered months of something to do, 2 weeks Shado-Pan, 2 weeks Golden Lotus, etc.

I'd like a combination of the 2. Timeless isle does feel a little too much go grind for hours and then come back (much like the 5.3 collect resources which after a few times through I just quit doing it). Would have liked 2-4 daily quests with the week long grind on top. Would make it feel a little more focuses IMO.

I never really like the Timeless Isle. I've always been a fan of daily quests like the 5.2 ones.

As I wrote in the other thread, I miss dailies as they give me direction, structure and pacing.

Blizzard should know better than to go from one extreme into another. Provide us with a choice of different options at endgame instead of experimenting on us with one type of content only. I feel like a lab rat. Each MoP patch, a different idea for endgame.
    Evolution 12/14 HC is recruiting Ranged DPS (Elemental Shaman, Hunter, Mage, Warlock) and a Tank. Apply here.

I enjoyed it for a few months. but yeah I realized dailies are better as an altoholic. Gets things done faster since I don't use addons that mark treasures or anything like that. Add a storyline progress to the dailies and I'll take it I guess.

Troll altoholic | Windrunner and Barthilas Horde

Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    pls go back to the isle so i kan gank you endlessly, pls.

Instead of choosing the lesser of two evils (which I would agree is dailies) why not just do neither and actually do something fun instead?

It's because people get bored of things and like change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delti View Post
    If Forgettable knew what he was doing with his keyboard, I would totally kick his ass in dps!
    ^ My guild leader while drunk.

The problem is giving the players two choices, you either grind for things or you do dailies for them. A combination could have been better however, why not give the player something new instead of only these two options?