Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    And that's something I never thought I would EVER say! I don't quiet know why, first few weeks I enjoyed Timeless BUT then I began grinding the various reputations in Pandaria and soon realized I actually preferred dailies. Sure they're tedious BUT they alternate daily, take no more than an hour, offer good income and don't require spamming general or Oqueue.
    See it's like that old batman movie - Dailies themselves are Ok. Dailies that are required in order for you to get reputation in order for you to be able to then pay valor points for gear was horrible and bad and Blizzard should feel bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Don't grind it to exhaustion, then? Why people force themselves to do these things is beyond me...
    Precisely. It's a bummer when people don't do something in game with moderation; as the rest of us eventually suffer when they complain enough that Blizzard thinks it's a game problem. It's a person problem, not a mechanic issue.

Timeless has been a blast and a really fun alternative to the tedious dailies grind I was loathed to do.

My wife gets sick of being forced into dailies and usually quits WoW till the next expansion (a trend since TBC with us), when dailies become the focus. She's still playing and that is still awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a serious problem with dailies when Mists launch. It almost instantly turned me away from the game. However, the implementation going forward including shieldwall and ToT was pretty much spot on. Those were the daily experiences I wanted. The Timeless Isle was super fun for one week, then it turned into a pointless area where there's really no reason to ever go back there other than 'because I can'. It was a neat experiment, but if they are planning on the majority of WoD content to be delivered in this format they need to seriously up their investment in design time to content given. It would need to quadruple at the least to make it viable.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup always loved doing dailies. Just they messed up with them when MoP first came out. Isle of Thunder was perfect. I'd like to see a mix of both Timeless Isle and dailies. Someone mentioned above me about the same thing and really like the idea of it.

I like dailies because I enjoy the feeling to log in every day and do something that works towards something (rep, title, mount, et cetera; also golds good).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
    Precisely. It's a bummer when people don't do something in game with moderation; as the rest of us eventually suffer when they complain enough that Blizzard thinks it's a game problem. It's a person problem, not a mechanic issue.

Timeless has been a blast and a really fun alternative to the tedious dailies grind I was loathed to do.

My wife gets sick of being forced into dailies and usually quits WoW till the next expansion (a trend since TBC with us), when dailies become the focus. She's still playing and that is still awesome.
    Don't you see the irony

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I agree, the community could do better in the sense that you don't NEED a certain ilevel to do well with the game.
    Except you do need a certain ilevel to overcome DPS checks, survive unavoidable raid-wide damage, and/or heal effectively. The best player in the world isn't doing SoO in 466 blues unless his entire group is already decked out in heroic SoO gear, in which case they can afford to carry him when he dies and/or underperforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    The current model is, you hit max level and try to gear up. This can be done in many ways, BUT the 'required' way everyone talks about is the FASTEST way to do it.
    The problem is that the "required" way is MUCH faster than any of the other ways. We're talking days versus months. If you told me that there was an alternative that would let you gear in two weeks I'd agree that the option isn't "required." I've gotten one burden since resubscribing to the game, and it was a guaranteed one-time deal that my friend took me to on his two-seater mount. I haven't seen one since. I pretty much LFRed my way up to a point where my guild could bring me on Flex runs, but without LFR I'm pretty sure I would still be in all 496 gear with one 535 piece and maybe a couple of 522 valor pieces right now. Crafting is painfully slow, and even that depended on LFR (for me) because my balanced trillium and lighting ingot recipes dropped in LFR. Even then, at one ingot a day we're talking months to craft gear that is appropriate to the current tier.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2013-12-02 at 09:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Both the Daily model and the Timeless Isle model have their pros and cons, but BOTH are optional content.
    They provide some catch up mechanics, but not something you need to do for months on end.

I have seen some people make claims that they need gear, but that is just not a valid concern at this point.
    Its three months into the patch, if you still don't have the one piece of optimal rolled gear from the Timeless isle, its not what is stopping you from getting into a guild, or stopping you from progression as a whole.

This was the same issue we were presented with in the beginning of the expansion.
    People claimed they needed the gear to do MSV and HoF, but that was never the case. It was a reward for your work on the dailies, but not required to actually raid, as the gear from the dailies were the same ilvl as the gear from the raids itself.

The problems come from players who are in poorly-lead groups, or are misinformed themselves, and don't understand how gearing works in World of Warcraft. It can also be a concern for top world guilds, but obviously that is not the topic we are examining here.

The timeless isle is an amazing addition to the game, and I for one love it. However, I no longer go there at all. Its not because I prefer dailies, its because I no longer need anything from there, and am not interested in finding peices to overlap just incase I get a better diablo style roll.
    That is not how gear works in MoP.
    Real gear comes from raids, so head in Flex and LFR and work on your set there.
    THEN you'll be better equipped to find a guild doing normals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you see the irony
    That I know not to do something like Timeless Isle every day and instead do other stuff, like battleground, ach runs/CD's, etc.?

No. No I do not see the irony.
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

Deleted
    That I know not to do something like Timeless Isle every day and instead do other stuff, like battleground, ach runs/CD's, etc.?

No. No I do not see the irony.
    The fact that you said dailies are boring. They're only boring if you do them religiously everyday without moderation

Yeah I personally don't mind dailies as long as it's not as extreme as in 5.0.

I hope Blizzard keeps doing some dailies, and mix things up with a bit of Timeless Isle-style things, and they don't just never do dailies again as a backlash from 5.0.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you said dailies are boring. They're only boring if you do them religiously everyday without moderation
    No, dailies get boring when they *feel* repetitious. They're the exact same quests. I.E. I've had to kill the same terrible demon exiting the IQD portal for years.

Timeless Isle is a freeform place where I can decide where I go and what I do. It may be yet another illusion of choice... but it's a far more convincing illusion than "it's Friday... so that's Skyfire Dailies".

Timeless isn't perfect, ShaoHao rep is obnoxious and so I decided it wasn't important to me. Conveniently, here's my favorite quote about it from Zarhym.

Gaining Shaohao rep is largely for flavor and not something everyone is going to want, and certainly not need, to do.

Timeless Isle is actually worse than dailies from the design perspective, because it's essentially a Skinner Box.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant...ioning_chamber

Dailies make you do specific thing and give you predictable, rationed reward. You know exactly how many days you need to quest to achieve a certain rep or certain item. Timeless Isle gives you infinite number of mobs to fight, but each one MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have a reward. This is the same technique used by slot machines, it is known to trigger obsessive behavior.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsjel View Post
    I don't like the thought of Blizz moving towards "little to no dailies" for WoD. I agree they went overboard with dailies in MoP, but people will get sick of the Timeless Isle concept just as quick if that's all there is.
    Why can't there be a mix of both?
    I 100% agree. It seems like in Blizzard's mind, players either get one or the other.

Example: Dungeons were really hard in BC. Let's make them more casual in WOTLK! Dungeons were too easy in WOTLK. Let's make them harder in Cata! Dungeons were too hard in Cata and were nerfed to shit. Maybe we should find a balance and only lower the difficulty a little, so that players will still be challenged, but not discouraged... Nope, make them easy as shit again in Mists. But I guess that's why they introduced challenge modes.

Point is, I would've liked to see a good number of dailies in WoD; 5.1 was really good, I would enjoy dailies like that and some Timeless Isle esque stuff. But little to no dailies? Come on Blizz.

Timeless Isle is great, but it literally is only a mindless grind.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

Deleted
    No, dailies get boring when they *feel* repetitious. They're the exact same quests. I.E. I've had to kill the same terrible demon exiting the IQD portal for years.

Timeless Isle is a freeform place where I can decide where I go and what I do. It may be yet another illusion of choice... but it's a far more convincing illusion than "it's Friday... so that's Skyfire Dailies".

Timeless isn't perfect, ShaoHao rep is obnoxious and so I decided it wasn't important to me. Conveniently, here's my favorite quote about it from Zarhym.
    Except Dailies arrn't the same, they alternate and can differ considerably from other reps. You yourself agreed anything becomes repetitive without moderation. You obviously didn't incorporate moderation. Now Timeless offers only 3 activities - rare killing, elite killing & chest hunting. Besides PvP & LFR what's there do but repeat the same three activities - at least dailies offered variety

Dailies dictate how much you can do in a day. Timeless Isle-styled content doesn't.

It's important that the Timeless Isle is just an example of the model, not the be-all end-all. Future content in that style (like a lot of Warlords of Draenor's max-level outdoor content) is likely to be tweaked to accommodate feedback. At the end of the day, if you can provide the same kind of content that dailies have in an environment free of the actual daily restriction, then there's no real reason to go with a restrictive daily model.

Then you really need to find something to fill that meaningless void in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Timeless Isle is actually worse than dailies from the design perspective, because it's essentially a Skinner Box.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant...ioning_chamber

Dailies make you do specific thing and give you predictable, rationed reward. You know exactly how many days you need to quest to achieve a certain rep or certain item. Timeless Isle gives you infinite number of mobs to fight, but each one MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have a reward. This is the same technique used by slot machines, it is known to trigger obsessive behavior.
    You're kind of misusing the skinner box, there. The entire game is a giant skinner box (believe me, this is no secret and never has been) and all of the reward systems share that property. Only some skinner box experiments use variable reward patterns for the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Except Dailies arrn't the same, they alternate and can differ considerably from other reps. You yourself agreed anything becomes repetitive without moderation. You obviously didn't incorporate moderation. Now Timeless offers only 3 activities - rare killing, elite killing & chest hunting. Besides PvP & LFR what's there do but repeat the same three activities - at least dailies offered variety
    Dailies alternated between a few preset activities that you'd already have exhausted after a few days anyway. It's easy to call it "variety" on the surface, but the ugly beast beneath was that we were still doing the same things over and over, just randomly alternating them between days and without giving a choice regarding which activity you wanted (with the exception of doing PvP dailies on the isle). You can still implement all of that variety into a Timeless Isle-like zone, which is likely what they'll be doing moving forward. The Warlords of Draenor psuedo-daily zones may be as great a leap as Battlefield: Barrens to the Timeless Isle was. On top of that, we may actually have several places to choose from (if it's anything like typical launch faction dailies) so you might not even be in the same zone from day to day.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-12-02 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Don't grind it to exhaustion, then? Why people force themselves to do these things is beyond me...
    The addiction of epic armor dropping in your lap.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

This is an interesting thread!

Infracted: Post constructively and stop spamming MMO-C to raise your post count [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-12-02 at 11:43 PM.