Poll: Should Racials be removed and replaced with fun abilities?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should Racials be removed and replaced with fun abilities?

Example - Hobgoblin bank, Cannibalism, Running Wild, Rocket Jump, etc

no i like it more serious if u feel u have to pick a race u don't like just for pvp or pve because of their racials i feel sad for you

So what you're suggesting is removing racials and replace them with racials? Makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what you're saying and I agree, The other DPS in my raid group still harass me because i refuse to change to orc or something more useful. D:

Amazing how none of the posts so far contain an actual response that's worthy of reading.

Edit: Except the guy above me, didn't see his post yet.

Yes they should, and as far as I've understood they are doing that sometime in the future.
    Changing it to a fun ability would actually reduce the need to pick a certain race for a certain role (like tauren for tank due to +5% hp).
    Last edited by Aydinx2; 2013-11-27 at 06:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasstapp View Post
    So what you're suggesting is removing racials and replace them with racials? Makes sense.
    I think what OP meant was all the racials that give a special benefit of some sort.

Deleted
    Yeah well he means a different kind of racial :P, cool or maybe cosmetic ones would be nice? Something that means I don't feel forced to play an orc/troll just because they have OP racials. Things that would make a difference whilst outside of combat would be preferred, else just make them utility just like darkflight and rocket jump.

People like you are the literally the cancer killing WoW. You arent satisfied with every single class in the game having the exactly same abilites, albeit differently named, now you want all the races to feel the same too?

Fuck you all, I take a fucking shit on everyone who voted yes in the OP

10+ Year Old Account
    They should remove all racials imo that give you some sort of advantage in combat one way or another, and then either give all races Every Man for Himself or remove it completely and make it a trinket only ability. You should choose your race on lore and cosmetics only imo.

The problem is no matter what any kind of racial will give some bonus in a way that makes it better then others if it helps even slightly in combat. So to answer your question, no. I have no issue with the way the racials are now and never have had an issue with them. And honestly if that 3% more dps from being an Orc (just an example, not real numbers) is so super important that is more a statement against the raid/dungeon/whatever design then it is against the racials.

Absolutely. You shouldn't feel obligated to play a race (read: Troll, Orc or Human) just because it has amazing racials. Unfortunately as long as x or y can be simmed for more dps, then the min/max minded playerbase will feel like it has to play x or y.

Racials may need a bit of balancing but I don't think they should ever outright remove them or make them totally meaningless, they help with immersion imo (and even I say this though I have never RP-d or anything like it). They should maybe be more like Shadowmeld and Rocket Jump - somewhat useful, not really game-changing and I doubt people would actually race-change from patch to patch for them.

Also on the topic of racials, *why* do dwarves not have increased mining speed?...

Quote Originally Posted by Escariot View Post
    People like you are the literally the cancer killing WoW. You arent satisfied with every single class in the game having the exactly same abilites, albeit differently named, now you want all the races to feel the same too?

Wow.

I agree OP. I'd like to be able to see people choose a race because they like it not for min-max
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

I think it would be much more fun to pick a race because they are fun. Not because they give you a bonus for combat.

So yes, I agree with the OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Issari View Post
    You shouldn't feel obligated to play a race (read: Troll, Orc or Human) just because it has amazing racials.
    You shouldn't feel obligated to be a min/maxer either. Why must 0.5% of the players ruin if for the majority?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Either I am going to min/max or I will pick a random race. Could care less about what my toon looks like. So no personally I rather not have them removed but if it pleases the majority whatever.

I have drafted a response on behalf of the WoW dev team:

I dunno man that sounds like work... better to just give 1% to some stat that we may or may not get tired of dealing with next expac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo, racials should not provide any slight plain damage benefit.
    Trolls (berserk and beast damage superiority) orcs (berserk), pandaren recently (bonus to food) and so on. Some races are not subject to this and are fine where they are.
    Worgens have more crit and that is debatable. It is a CHANCE to deal more damage so ... not the same as trolls/orcs/pandaren, etc.

Imo World of Warcraft would be more fun if instead of superior damage some races get fun abilities or abilities that reinforce their lore background with no damage into the equation (again some races already are good at that).

I don't think it's fun to have a friend or guild mate doing better theorically (and maybe in practice) because they happened to randomly choose this race when they started the game, or because they paid real money!
    I also don't think damage abilities are fun, it reminds me of old cookie cutter talents (not saying that the old talent tree could not have been fun).

Speaking of money that Blizzard get with race change, imo paid race change would still happen if each racials are SO fun or useful (and also with the upgraded models that hopefully will get players interested).
    Maybe Blizzard can, if they really care of that specific source of money, try to check the numbers of serious pve/pvp players race changing from race x with no benefit to race y with benefits.

Did not said that races should have only one racial per race, but we'd have to differentiate passive and active racials. Passive racials can be great to add meaningful lore implication on your race.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that some players are likely to get harassed by raid leader or guild mates to make a race change (with damage purpose it gets serious), like Treeskee on this page.

I would love to have Blizzard's position on this!
    Last edited by Cæli; 2013-11-27 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panquake View Post
    They should remove all racials imo that give you some sort of advantage in combat one way or another, and then either give all races Every Man for Himself or remove it completely and make it a trinket only ability. You should choose your race on lore and cosmetics only imo.
    I agree 100%. The reason top raiding guilds are usually horde is because they have way better racials for PvE. Orc attack power/spell power on use. Troll 20% haste on use and 5% more damage against beasts (11 of the 14 SoO bosses are beasts). Tauren have more health (ok this isn't as huge). Undead proc racial that does damage on any of your attacks / dots with no apparent ICD. Then you have alliance. Human every man for himself.. great for PvP but not for PvE. Nightelf shadowmeld is good if you pull aggro / are wiping but does not help your damage / healing. Dwarf on use 10% armor on use that removes bleeds and poisons may come in handy at some point but has a cooldown that makes it not very worthwhile. Gnomes..... Draenei have a heal for 20% health over 15 sec but it has a 3 minute cd...

Quote Originally Posted by Escariot View Post

I think your vehemence is misplaced, but I agree with your overall position.

Games where races are cosmetic suck. It's a cop out. I do think that racials should be balanced, but this could be done several ways, and none of them are "remove them".