10+ Year Old Account

Need some help @ understanding runes

I've been wanting to play a death knight since wotlk, but for some reason I can't wrap my mind around the rune system.

I've leveled and re-leveled multiple characters but I never had much time to dedicate myself that much to a different character, so I've always abandoned the idea until now.

Idk why, but I keep trying to play them as a warrior or a rogue, trying to use things as they pop back up, then getting frustrated as to why everything is on cd, then realizing my runes are all depleted.

I read up about rune management but, it just feels clunky.

Maybe I need to look at it with a different perspective, i don't know.

I'd love any help you guys can give me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Runes seem pretty straightforward to me.

Anyways:
    http://www.icy-veins.com/runes-and-r...stem-guide-wow

Rune regen is very slow, this is perfectly normal.

You're going to want to get used to abusing anti magic shell for resources.

There's a lot of stuff that you can stand in with an empty runic power bar, spam frost strike for the duration of ams and finish with 100 rp.

If you're sub-75, don't worry about it. For some reason Blizz made the retarded decision of putting rune-management talents so late in when they are needed from the beginning.

Otherwise, you generally aim to keep your runes on cooldown without capping your Runic Power, so you go from one to the other. It's weird to explain.

Here's the sub-obtimal rune system for dummies:
    Hit a rune ability until you can't anymore. Then hit a runic power ability until you can't anymore. Repeat.

[edit] and like the commenter above said, don't worry about it if you are level 74 or below.

You can think of runes as basically three separate energy bars: Blood, Frost, and Unholy. When you say that an ability costs 1 Frost and 1 Unholy rune, for example Death Strike, it is basically saying that it costs 50 energy from your Frost bar and 50 energy from your Unholy bar to be able to use it.

Depending on your spec, certain passives and abilities turn some of your runes into Death Runes either permanently or temporarily. Death runes essentially turn your some of your existing runes into wildcard runes that can be used as any other type of rune, and a couple of abilities (such as Death Siphon) require using Death runes specifically.

You gain 10 runic power (or 12 if you're in Frost Presence) for every single rune of any kind that you spend on a successful offensive ability.

Like the other posters above said, it is normal for your rune regeneration to be quite slow. You will have some downtime, especially until you some haste on your gear and until you get one of the level 75 talents. The Level 75 talents give you different ways to convert spending Runic Power into Runes.

These two systems work with each other: spending runes gives you RP, and spending RP gives you runes. Playing a DK optimally requires mastering this system and minimizing sitting on capped resources, just like you would never want to let your rogue sit on capped energy or combo points. In reality, you will cap out on resources during some situations, such as during Heroism/Bloodlust, or sometimes you will want to save runes for specific abilities to use at certain times.

Deleted
    We dont know what level are you as the folks above said. However there is nothing complicated about this system anymore, but yeah sometimes it is frustrating system i have to agree too, especialy if you dont have the apropriate level of haste rating OR when you mess up somewhere like hitting wrong action button unintentionaly or not managing to react to a proc in time due numerious factors ill avoid to describe right now :P

However when you level up and gear up the more easy will be. Just igonre the fact that there are 3 diffrent types of rune+additional power bar to manage, at the end it wount be much more harder than rouge or paladin resourse system - you will have to hit this, then this and then that and after this you can use something harder hitting or etc then rince and repeat.
    Right now with 567 ilvl with galakras and thok trinket + plagueleech talent and regenrative magic glyph i can litteraly bing my whole keyboard with howling blast and frost strike and just smash my head on it and will do 300k dps no sweat. But this is when you get the described combo of shizzles.
    Before that it can be very slow sometimes even boring because you migh thave like 3-4 seconds to do absolotetly nothing. Dont be afraid. Its totaly normal.
    Last edited by mmoc0c907153ea; 2013-12-02 at 11:54 AM.