View Poll Results: Do you spend more time playing WoW than living?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I spend more time WoWing than living!

    162 42.19%
  • No! Your a total addict and need help!

    222 57.81%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    what is living? for many people that means parties, drinking, and lots of sex with a bunch of different people over time. i hate dealing with strangers and listening to their small talk. i'm allergic to alcohol. i have sex with just one person and she can't get pregnant and doesn't have any stds. i'll take WoW over living any day. much better than being an alcoholic, getting stds and unwanted children.

    if you consider living to be enjoying nature, spending time with loved ones, and consuming worthwhile art and food then sure i'll take that over WoW. i do it every week.

  2. #82
    The Lightbringer Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    3,986
    No. But I generally take a day or two of vacation time off when a new expansion comes out.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

    Sovereign
    Mass Effect

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    what is living?
    Please don't give anyone information on this. Your're ruining someone's business.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Absolutely not, it's a GAME and it has it's place.

    Something a lot of people on here have yet to figure out..
    While I would agree to that in the way that people should not spend all their time into one thing... You call it "a game".

    I would call it a "hobby". WoW can also be a "lifestyle". Yeah I would even go as far as calling it that.

    When I started this game (then it was still a game to me), I quickly became obsessed over it. Then joined a raiding guild. If you are an active member of a raiding guild, it turns into a hobby really. Much like being on a football team or any other hobby where others depend on you being there.

    As I was a very very active GM of a raiding guild, it became far more then a hobby. I set aside everything for my guild. I had a huge responsibility, which together ofcourse with proper players lead me to making one of the better guilds on the server. I worked harder at my guild then I worked at my job. So then it became a lifestyle basically. Because everything revolved around it.

    Meanwhile I can also say that I was def. obsessed. I had a lot of personal issues that I tried to hide from ingame or tried to solve via the game. Took me 7 years (and 450 days played on ONE character) to realise that this wasn't healthy either. So I quit being a GM or raider. I recently quit totally but have been decently active for a few hours a week these last few years.

  5. #85
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,116
    This is a problem, not limited to WOW. This is a problem of priorities, and the lack of a strong character.

    In the past, people let their children die over online activities, be it games or chatting in chat rooms.
    Neglect of life happens on a daily basis, and sadly enough it often affects the health and life of other people, other than the person that neglects everything.

    There are no ifs and buts. If you let anything like this dominate your life, then you need to start to react and change it.
    Most often there's something else that actually causes this destructive obsession. Something else is the root of it. One needs to tackle that root, and change it.
    People in bad relationships... Go and do something about it.
    People can't find a job, and try to escape the frustration..... Go and do something about it. Educate yourself further instead of wasting time with something that doesn't get you anywhere.

    It's not that much different from any addiction to drugs... While you enjoy the drug, be it whatever substance or activity, you are within a dome of protection. But the more often and longer you remain within that dome, the more the World around you and outside that dome changes to the worse.
    When you lose the ability to control your priorities, then you've gone too far.

    That's how I see it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Game addiction doesn't really exist.
    Well if gaming addiction doesn't exist... then gambling addiction doesn't exist either....
    aaaah... see what I just did there?

  7. #87
    Sometimes I'll play 20-30 hours per week, other times I'll play less than an hour or 2 per month. So I'm not exactly sure how to answer this.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  8. #88
    Herald of the Titans Gobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,914
    How can you play WoW when you're not "living"? You know that's actually impossible, Right?

    If ofcourse you mean metaphorically or whatever, Then it's still bullshit, to many, "living life" is about doing what you want, having fun etc, SO you'd still be doing it.

    To argue also, A lot of people that do extreme sports and bungee jumps/other things that you don't commonly do, often say you're not truly living untill you've something like that.

    Sorry if I missed the point here, but I just don't get the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark
    They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. I present to you the newest in Stark Industries' Freedom line. Find an excuse to let one of these off the chain, and I personally guarantee, the bad guys won't even wanna come out of their caves. Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration... the Jericho.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Well if gaming addiction doesn't exist... then gambling addiction doesn't exist either....
    aaaah... see what I just did there?
    Yeah it doesn't, lack of self control does exist, however.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

  10. #90
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Yeah it doesn't, lack of self control does exist, however.
    Foolish statement..... With that logic addiction wouldn't exist at all, no matter which. They are all but a lack of self control.
    And yet, addiction is an acknowledged medical condition, even gambling addiction is.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Foolish statement..... With that logic addiction wouldn't exist at all, no matter which. They are all but a lack of self control.
    And yet, addiction is an acknowledged medical condition, even gambling addiction is.
    exactly... but I guess everyone that cries about gaming addiction/gambling addiction not existing, only finds the word addiction to match to something the body "needs/craves/depends on" to continue fuctioning. Like air...

    Jokes aside... drug addictions are serious business. Perhaps more serious then game/gambling addictions. But these are addictions nonetheless.

  12. #92
    As long as you can pay your bills, you're free to do whatever you want with your free time.

    For some people, having a drink in bar with a couple of friends is living.
    For others, raiding a boss with a couple of friends is living.

    Don't feel bad if you chose the second one. As long as it is your own decision, it doesn't matter what other people think. Again, as long as you can pay your bills. If after a while you think it's not worth anymore, you don't need to neglect all you've done in game. They are experiences nonetheless.

    For example, considering you're paying your bills, if instead of WoW, you spent all your time playing Tennis. It doesn't make you better in any way. If you chose to spend all your time going out for drinks, it doesn't matter. If you chose to quit WoW, move to the middle of a forest and live as a hermit, that is living anyway. Live your life the way you want and stop asking society to agree with it.

  13. #93
    Nope, I used to in Vanilla and TBC but since WoTLK i've been quite casual.

  14. #94
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    313
    Just a question,
    If I play wow with friends, does that count as living life or does it count as playing wow?

    Not that it would matter on my poll result which is no tbh.

    Thanks to rivellana for this awesome signature.
    Kungfupanða-EU Frostmane

  15. #95
    I have played quite a bit of WoW back in the days and occasionally still do, but after dreaming of playing my character when I went to sleep, I cut down drastically.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amdist the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  16. #96
    What do you mean "live life" ?! Are you too one of those fools who think you're not living a life unless you're a secret agent/mercenary/bungee jumper/surfer/clubber/space pirate/president/super model/super hero/etc ?!

    God, where do these people come from ?! Living a life is about doing what YOU want, not about doing what OTHERS want you to do or think you should do! Only a slave has no life. You DO NOT have more "life" just because you have a family and what not, no matter how much you like to think you do.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Jokes aside... drug addictions are serious business. Perhaps more serious then game/gambling addictions. But these are addictions nonetheless.
    Physical addiction is real, mental addiction isn't.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Well if gaming addiction doesn't exist... then gambling addiction doesn't exist either....
    aaaah... see what I just did there?
    Your point is rather moot. The problem with things such as "game addiction" (Game compulsion is a better description of it) is because all of the people that tend to research it have don't know what it actually entails and thus tend to focus on rather negligible elements such as the skinner boxing MMOs tend to use.
    Then they have this ill-conceived notion that game compulsion is similar as gambling addiction, which is not the case.

    What kept me playing for hours on end in TBC? Social contacts, social pressure and expectations that I placed onto myself to aid my particular ragtag band of raiders to victory. It's also because the game gives you a clear sense of purpose and has goals for you to achieve.
    Unlike gambling, most games tend to have a inherent social element to them, which is what keeps you playing because you'd otherwise lose those social bonds you have made over the time you played.
    Seriously, what WoW player actually craves to play the game or depends on it?
    Last edited by Rocketbear; 2013-12-02 at 03:43 PM.
    Check out my youtube channel of fail: http://www.youtube.com/EliteRocketbear

    8/8Hc DS

  19. #99
    Hah no, but in the early days of my playing I came pretty close. That was more to do with a girl I was playing with than the game itself, though.

  20. #100
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,292
    Not anymore. I haven't logged in since Wednesday night, pretty common for me lately to spend nearly no time online outside of raiding now. Now if the question were gaming rather than just playing WoW my answer would be yes. I'm spending about the same time as one would on a full time job gaming each week, minimum 3 hours each day every day while some days it is over 10 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •