Howdy, netizens. I never disc'd until fairly recently in my WoW travels, but I did holy and some shadow for a good while. I'm very comfortable healing reactively, so disc was a little troublesome for me to figure out.
Here are my logs from my most recent SoO travails:
Some caveats (a) I know, get the DPS cloak, (b) I tend to forget to re-talent for bosses, so ignore the Divine Star on Immerseus and Halo on Galakras.
Finally, my questions and concerns:
1) Gear - I just can't seem to figure out what I need to reforge into, I thought it was crit > mastery > haste > spi, but I'm at a loss to what levels I need to aim for.
2) Spell priority/rotation/whateveryouwanttocallit - I understand the basics for most encounters: SS on pull/cooldown (for major boss mechanics), atonement (switching to adds to proc ToF if possible), PW:S (i need to get a handle on rapture tracking) when LMG procs, etc. Applying these to fights is where I stumble.
3) Mainly, I'm just peeved at my inability to keep up healing-wise w/ our hpally and I'm wondering if there is some critical mechanism I'm neglecting or if I'm just bad at disc.
-You should be gem'ing Int + Crit and Crit, not Int+ Spi. In Yellow sockets, use Crit gems. In blue sockets use Spi + Crit.
-Glyph of PoM is kinda crap. Higher overheal. It's much better in PvP. I suggest grabbing the Glyph of Penance and either Fade or Inner Sanctum
-Don't reforge into haste. Just no. Reforge out of haste and spirit and into crit + mastery with crit having higher priority.
Haste looks good on paper but it's just a mana drain.
-You need to be using more Atonement. HF on CD, Penance on CD (offensively). Smite as downtime filler.
-Don't Use PoH outside of SPirit Shell. Atonement and Level 90 Talents end up being much more effective.
-You need to increase your Archangel uptime. Aim for 45-55% (Yours is much lower than this). Only use AA with 5 stacks of evagelism.
-Game that ToF proc! It's awfully low for you. Select 35-40% adds to use for atonement. Make sure if there's a way to get ToF, you're getting it.
-More PW: S. You're barely meeting your free PW: S from rapture, let alone using it with LMG procs
-Be Dynamic (I just saw you know this, so oops!) with your Level 90 talent choices. Divine Star whenever you can, Halo only for REALLY spread fights (Iron Juggernaut is a good example, Malkorok). DS on Norushen, Protectors, Galakras (you can really get some insane ToF from DS on Galakras because of all the adds). Position yourself effectively for your level 90 talent (ie move a bit away for Halo to get maximum benefit, or move to be in line for DS).
-More Spirit Shell! I see on certain fights you're not using it at the right times (every other Calamity on Protectors, is an exmaple).
-Use Inner Focus! It's wonderful and helps SS dramatically!
1) Here is a spreadsheet that shows you the optimal Crit + Mastery ratio. Remember SS DOES in fact benefit from mastery, but only once now. (It used to double dip). Mastery increases your DA and SS. But crit is the primary stat. Reforged out of Spirit and into Crit, if crit is already on the piece, reforge into mastery. Aim to get over 12k crit. Don't worry about haste. You can lead into your first PoH with Borrow Time from PW: S to get an additional PoH out during SS.
2) SS about 5 seconds before damage is about to happen. 5-9 seconds really start blanketing. Use a WA or Ingela's Rapture to track rapture. HF and Penance on CD with a few smites to get Evagelism to 5. ALWAYS use Archangel nearly on CD, hold onto it only if you have upcoming burst that won't be in the next 20 seconds.
Get rid of that haste, far too much, you want as close to 0 as possible, you've even reforged good stats to haste and left haste items unforged, just getting rid of haste and getting more crit will be a large hps increase. Your logs show a cleave trinket, which is bad.
Remove binding heals from your action bars, use atonement more, you're shielding too often I'm surprised you're not going oom during the fights, atonement healing is far too low you should be ahead of the paladin considering all your heals will cut in before his.
It has it's place when you and the target won't have a high overheal. It's better than FH in any situation where you won't be overhealing yourself.
Obviously don't use it in excess (OP, that's you I'm talking about. Outside of Malkorok of coursE).
But don't remove it.
Exactly. You goal as disc is to always be the person with the highest health in the raid, so that your own atonement doesn't hit you. BH is the most efficient way to make sure of it, outside of preventing damage to you in the first place. FH is a mana drain and Penance is a waste to cast on yourself. Malkorok is an amazing example of where BH is a great spell. Lei Shen was a great boss to use BH on too during the intermissions. So, unbinding BH is quite awful advice, actually.