Thread: State of PvP

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    State of PvP

    I played WoW hardcore for pve and pvp from 2007 until early 2012 and quit towards the end of cataclysm. I am wondering what PvP is like currently in the game because I am considering coming back to play more casually in PvP.

    Have there been any major changes to the PvP system? I've played a bunch of MMO's in the past year and a half and I'm sick of PvP being garbage in all of them. I miss the arena system in WoW a lot.

    My characters include a level 85 death knight, priest, and warlock; how strong are those classes in PvP currently?

    What kind of compositions are currently popular in arena?

    Is it even worth my time coming back to the game or should I wait for the next expansion?

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by lichie View Post
    I played WoW hardcore for pve and pvp from 2007 until early 2012 and quit towards the end of cataclysm. I am wondering what PvP is like currently in the game because I am considering coming back to play more casually in PvP.

    Have there been any major changes to the PvP system? I've played a bunch of MMO's in the past year and a half and I'm sick of PvP being garbage in all of them. I miss the arena system in WoW a lot.

    My characters include a level 85 death knight, priest, and warlock; how strong are those classes in PvP currently?

    What kind of compositions are currently popular in arena?

    Is it even worth my time coming back to the game or should I wait for the next expansion?
    Wait for next expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Wait for next expansion.
    why? Could you elaborate or possibly answer my other questions?

  4. #4
    Burst is Effing retarded, Warrs and frost mages are WAY WAY too OP and Blizz fails to acknowledge/fix it, healers have lots of instants so every class has blanket silences/interrupts, there's way too much mobility for everyone (especialy druids, good luck catching one of those lol) and worst of all, any comp can keep you locked for 30seconds cause every class has got it's own spammable cc and then some. Most games get down to whoever has more burst to kill the healer or who can keep the other healer cc'ed through 3 cyclones, 3 polymorphs/fears/stuns/etc and obviously decimate the other team in that time unless you are lucky enough to have a hybrid dps with you, who WILL heal just as well as a healer spec, given the chance (I'm not joking and once again, I'm looking at you druids, especially moonkins) or have enough cc available (as in not DR'ed/in your comp) to peel. It's just terrible.
    In an entire night of 3vs3 arenas I can safely say that 80% of the teams had either a warr or a mage or both. Hunters are redonkulous too, what with the 100k chimaera shot crits and them instant traps. So yeah wait for the next expansion if you care about your mental sanity. This has been one of the worse patches i've played pvp-wise.

  5. #5
    I guess as it always was only worse.

    - gear > class > RNG > skill
    - FotM cycles
    - botters + hackers
    - premades in randoms
    - unbalanced low level pvp, BGs, duels, 2v2, 5v5
    - "balanced" 3v3 where 60-80% are the same comps
    - developers acknowledging too much CC in the game and adding more CC to the game

    Have I missed something?

    If you look for something based on skill and tactics, I would recommend something else. If you want for a button smasher, roll the current FotM and "pwn n00bs".

    If you dont belive me, just look on the youtube for videos of the current patch, the gear gap between tiers, the unbalanced classes, the huge amount of CC, a sad joke of a once game with potential.
    Last edited by Schroedinger; 2013-11-30 at 05:31 AM.
    My wife came to me and asked: "What have you done to the poor cat? She is half dead..."

  6. #6
    High Overlord Ghost Note's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tirisfal Glades
    Posts
    114
    I would say that CC is definitely out of control, and the most complained about thing regarding PVP. I know Blizzard wanted to make CC matter in games, and not just be a burst race, but it's been taken too far.
    2 90 Holy Paladins, 90 Disc, 90 Warrior, 90 Resto Druid, 90 Mage, 90 DK, 90 Rogue, 90 Resto Shaman
    2.2k Arena 3v3, 160k HK's

  7. #7
    High Overlord Logiks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nowhereland
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroedinger View Post
    I guess as it always was only worse.

    - gear > class > RNG > skill
    - FotM cycles
    - botters + hackers
    - premades in randoms
    - unbalanced low level pvp, BGs, duels, 2v2, 5v5
    - "balanced" 3v3 where 60-80% are the same comps
    - developers acknowledging too much CC in the game and adding more CC to the game

    Have I missed something?

    If you look for something based on skill and tactics, I would recommend something else. If you want for a button smasher, roll the current FotM and "pwn n00bs".

    If you dont belive me, just look on the youtube for videos of the current patch, the gear gap between tiers, the unbalanced classes, the huge amount of CC, a sad joke of a once game with potential.
    I surprisingly agree with this statement. Though I do still enjoy PvP, it is not as glorious as it once was for problems mentioned in this post. WTB less gimmicky pvp mechanics.

  8. #8
    I would say do not to come back to wow, you have done well to leave Wow for this long. Remember you left Wow for a reason (probably frustrated at the state of pvp?), You should ask yourself will blizzard realistically have improved PVP by now? or maybe next xpac? I think you know the answer to those questions.

    It's still the same news in pvp, a select few classes are stupidly op and ruin the fun for everyone else. Mages are op as ever, no change there. Blizzard are just too dam slow (or just don't care, still deciding which one) to make changes to classes that are too op.
    Last edited by lockdown1; 2013-11-30 at 04:45 PM.

  9. #9
    Jesus Christ you guys are toxic.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Wait for next expansion.
    And then for the one after that and so on and so forth because Resilience will fix it (not), maximum level will fix it (not) and hell, pvp is just balanced around 3v3 (except it's not balanced there either).

    OP, do you have anything else better to do ?! If yes, then do that. If no, hell, what's 12 euro these days ?!

  11. #11
    There will always be PVP complaints, so I say to the OP it's fine and you can join the game right now or anytime you want.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    And then for the one after that and so on and so forth because Resilience will fix it (not), maximum level will fix it (not) and hell, pvp is just balanced around 3v3 (except it's not balanced there either).

    OP, do you have anything else better to do ?! If yes, then do that. If no, hell, what's 12 euro these days ?!
    Well if he hasn't tried Pandaria he should do it but there's not much to do PvP wise atm if you ask me, the 3v3/RBG mounts are pretty cool I guess.

    I don't think resi or max level will fix it but they said they're gonna fix CC, World PvP and there's a new Classic Alterac Valley like BG. That's enough for me to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I don't think resi or max level will fix it but they said they're gonna fix CC, World PvP and there's a new Classic Alterac Valley like BG. That's enough for me to wait.
    1. Unlikely. They said previously that pvp is BASED on cc.
    2. They already fucked world pvp by allowing pve gear to be better than pvp gear in wpvp. Unless they plan on taking it back, I don't see how.
    3. Yeah, another AV-like bg! We really need another Isle of Conquest. But only if we get a 3rd option to exclude a bg, since it sounds like this new AV is the perfect candidate to join Strand of The Ancients and Isle of Conquest on the banned bg list. I would also ban Silvershard Mines since that one is horde territory and no point to join as Alliance but sadly we only get 2 options, 1 of which is mandatory reserved for Strand of The Vehicles.

    Sorry, not seeing it. Wow is wow and will always be wow so don't expect big fixes.
    Last edited by The Usual Suspect; 2013-12-01 at 05:39 PM.

  14. #14
    pvp is like it always was x class rapes x class 1v1 they don't care about. arena is the same pillow hugging bullshit. if u like wpvp get the best pve gear u can get.

  15. #15
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    1. Unlikely. They said previously that pvp is BASED on cc.
    2. They already fucked world pvp by allowing pve gear to be better than pvp gear in wpvp. Unless they plan on taking it back, I don't see how.
    3. Yeah, another AV-like bg! We really need another Isle of Conquest. But only if we get a 3rd option to exclude a bg, since it sounds like this new AV is the perfect candidate to join Strand of The Ancients and Isle of Conquest on the banned bg list. I would also ban Silvershard Mines since that one is horde territory and no point to join as Alliance but sadly we only get 2 options, 1 of which is mandatory reserved for Strand of The Vehicles.

    Sorry, not seeing it. Wow is wow and will always be wow so don't expect big fixes.
    1. I don't know but they said it.
    2. They said PvP gear was going to be better than heroic for WPvP.
    3. It's not a queued BG it's an outdoor BG that basically never ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    2. They already fucked world pvp by allowing pve gear to be better than pvp gear in wpvp. Unless they plan on taking it back, I don't see how.
    The only time WPvP has actually worked/was actually a thing, everyone used to wear PvE gear. Remember Swifty running round in AQ gear one bombing people.....and that's all world PvP was back then, some geared PvE raider would rock up, kill you in 2 globals and then you'd get 10 of your friends and try and corpse camp them.

    WPvP crowd is all kinds of delusional.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ykza View Post
    Burst is Effing retarded, Warrs and frost mages are WAY WAY too OP and Blizz fails to acknowledge/fix it, healers have lots of instants so every class has blanket silences/interrupts, there's way too much mobility for everyone (especialy druids, good luck catching one of those lol) and worst of all, any comp can keep you locked for 30seconds cause every class has got it's own spammable cc and then some. Most games get down to whoever has more burst to kill the healer or who can keep the other healer cc'ed through 3 cyclones, 3 polymorphs/fears/stuns/etc and obviously decimate the other team in that time unless you are lucky enough to have a hybrid dps with you, who WILL heal just as well as a healer spec, given the chance (I'm not joking and once again, I'm looking at you druids, especially moonkins) or have enough cc available (as in not DR'ed/in your comp) to peel. It's just terrible.
    In an entire night of 3vs3 arenas I can safely say that 80% of the teams had either a warr or a mage or both. Hunters are redonkulous too, what with the 100k chimaera shot crits and them instant traps. So yeah wait for the next expansion if you care about your mental sanity. This has been one of the worse patches i've played pvp-wise.
    ignore this, they just nerfed warriors and I haven't heard anyone complain about mages. Warlock and priest are always good in pvp, I think DKs maybe a little subpar atm but these things change from patch to patch. In my experience, pvping off and on since vanilla, the more people are complaining like this on forums the better the balance is. If you liked pvp before you will like it now most likely. The major new thing is that arena teams are gone, no more being stuck on a team and having to wait to play games.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudebanger View Post
    Jesus Christ you guys are toxic.
    Yup. OP should ask himself when in the last few years could he ask this question and get a positive answer.

  19. #19
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    The only time WPvP has actually worked/was actually a thing, everyone used to wear PvE gear. Remember Swifty running round in AQ gear one bombing people.....and that's all world PvP was back then, some geared PvE raider would rock up, kill you in 2 globals and then you'd get 10 of your friends and try and corpse camp them.

    WPvP crowd is all kinds of delusional.
    Just because you don't know of or have had any fun World PvP experience it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  20. #20
    As stated above, WoW's current state of PvP is just silly broken. The amount of CC and burst is just insane and class balance is basically out the window in everything.

    I wouldn't re-sub until next x-pac, and even then I'd be cautious and check it out first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •