Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is spirit worth it as a healer?

Spirit provides mana regeneration only when out of combat so is it really worth it in raids or dungons? is it better to reforge it into more helpful stats?

It regens mana in combat too, how valuable depends on the spec. In *general* having some spirit is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jadenprince View Post
    Spirit provides mana regeneration only when out of combat so is it really worth it in raids or dungons? is it better to reforge it into more helpful stats?
    honestly I think Spirit is a BIG piece of Shit. They should make it so that it grants regeneration in combat not outside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    honestly I think Spirit is a BIG piece of Shit. They should make it so that it grants regeneration in combat not outside.
    Spirit grants regeneration in combat (just not as much as outside combat), and no Spirit is not a piece of shit, but it greatly depends on the class. Some need a lot of it, some don't need it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhhh this isn't BC we are playing....in MoP spirit in constant regen, you use to get regen from Int to, but they took that away in MoP, there is no MP5 anymore, no 5 second rule now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by thigan View Post
    It regens mana in combat too, how valuable depends on the spec. In *general* having some spirit is good.
    How do you know it regenerates mana in combat? When reading the description for spirit it only specifies out of combat. Or am i missing something? lol

How do you know it regenerates mana in combat? When reading the description for spirit it only specifies out of combat. Or am i missing something? lol
    Mouseover it

10+ Year Old Account
    Spirit provides mana regen in and out of combat.

Most healing classes have passives that increase the mana regen they receive from spirit while in combat, usually 50% or so, though in Cata (not sure about MoP), Holy Priests had far more regen in combat than other healers.

Spirit is necessary for all healers as far as I'm aware but the amount varies from spec to spec and your comfort level with mana. I'd research each class' spec specifically to find out the spirit breakpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    A lot of passive talent/skills will transform x% of your spirit regen in combat. Spirit is a must for any healer class. Should you reforge/gems everything in spirit? no, but it help a lot.

Healer specs get a passive that allows 50% of their normal spirit regent to continue during combat.

Spirit is the most valued stat for any healer for as long until you are comfortable with the amount of mana regen you have during encounter. The optimal amount is impossible to say because it depends on the person's playstyle and class but if you end up an encounter with close to 0 mana and you were not holding back because the lack of mana, then it's optimal.

To try to give you an answer that helps you understand it from out of combat regen; look at your spec core abilities. One of them will be a conversion % of out of combat regen (ex: continue to receive 50% of your out of combat regen while in combat). That alone tells you that spirit affects combat regen.

Now, you can do something else; exchange similar ilvl pieces, one with spirit, one without, check your character sheet ... notice how your combat regen changes.

I'm not subbed right now or I'd go in more detail; but be assured spirit affects regen. It has been a long time since the days of MP5 and downranked spells.

How much spirit you need depends on many factors. How geared and good at execution is your group. How good are the other healers? How good are you? Do you use spells efficiently or are you a mana whore even on easy to heal fights? If you are already efficient at spell usage, cd usage, and your group is competent ... you may need very little spirit compared to someone who has a bad spell priority, bad group, or bad overall usage of cds including mana regen.

You only need enough mana to not go oom by the end of the fight under the worst circumstances your group will put you through. Any more than that is wasted. If you finish with 50% mana consistently, you need less spirit and could move that stat into other ones appropriate for your class. If you are always oom or barely scraping by, you need to look into which stat to sacrifice for more mana/regen ... while also considering other options and how they affect your overall throughput (enchants, trinkets procs, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post
    Healer specs get a passive that allows 50% of their normal spirit regent to continue during combat.
    http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=medi...specialization

Paladins are conspicuously absent from that list. Is there's called something else does anyone know?
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's called Holy Insight for paladins.
    Old Gods made me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=medi...specialization

Paladins are conspicuously absent from that list. Is there's called something else does anyone know?
    Paladins are balanced around the free healing that they get from using Holy Power heals effectively. The free healing means that Paladins don't spend/don't need as many regen mechanics as other healers.
    Seal of Insight + auto-attacks will regenerate a significant amount of mana - something no other class can do.
    Using divine plea smartly along with seal of insight will allow most good holy paladins to play with less than 12k spirit, where a resto druid may want 20k in hc SoO gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your class and playstyle. I always figured you should have some spirit, which is why I'm generally ok with what GC said about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffseid View Post
    Paladins are balanced around the free healing that they get from using Holy Power heals effectively. The free healing means that Paladins don't spend/don't need as many regen mechanics as other healers.
    Seal of Insight + auto-attacks will regenerate a significant amount of mana - something no other class can do.
    Using divine plea smartly along with seal of insight will allow most good holy paladins to play with less than 12k spirit, where a resto druid may want 20k in hc SoO gear.
    Seal of insight does not give mana back anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    Ahhhh this isn't BC we are playing....in MoP spirit in constant regen, you use to get regen from Int to, but they took that away in MoP, there is no MP5 anymore, no 5 second rule now a days.
    You never used to regen mana from int, int just granted raw mana.

Yeah people already answered this really but all healing classes get passive abilities that let them continue regenerating with spirit during combat.
    So it is definitely worth it to have some, thought not necessarily on every slot.

Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    You never used to regen mana from int, int just granted raw mana.
    For a time, Int was factored into the mana regeneration equation, alongside Spirit.