Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would it be cool to live inside the game-world of an MMO?

So wouldn't it be cool if somewhere in the distant future MMOs become more advanced, and you could actually simulate your mind into the game, as your own character? It would be so realistic your mind is convinced it's practically the same thing as reality.

Only downside is due to how your mind cannot tell the difference between reality and the MMO well enough once immersed, all the harm you take in the game will feel like real pain, and might even result in an actual fatality if not careful enough.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

So you could live your own death over and over creating some sort of twisted fucked up mind.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

It depends on how much it hurts when you die and how far is the corpse from the nearest graveyard.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can effectively transpose your brain into your character, I imagine it is entirely within the realm of reason to reduce pain sensations dramatically.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just not pvp. Just hang out in the inn and hope a group of renegade players from the opposing faction don't attack it to screw around after their raid.

Deleted
    the thing with the pain (and even possible death) would be a huge turn off for me. I'm a huge carebear as it is, and this certainly wouldn't change things

If it was a choice i'd prefer it just be some fantasy world like tolkiens or D&D's forgotten realms instead of any mmo world, but then again the only draw to this idea is that they impart a sort of adventurous freedom which may lose its appeal once you realized your stuck there.

i can imagine one day someone will bring out a true VR rpg.

It depends, are you in it still?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Why not just disconnect the player in case of possible death before any pain or gross disfigurements happen? Something like this would need a very powerful computer thats surely capable of detecting something like this and kicking the user out.

That being said, it would be pretty amazing. Id totally go farming for gear and then use it to stalk and gank people like I do in current MMOs:P

Deleted
    It appears someone recently watched the scourge of all Anime that is Sword Art Online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    It appears someone recently watched the scourge of all Anime that is Sword Art Online.
    Or they've read Net Force or Manna or .hack or various other works on that premise.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Or they've read Net Force or Manna or .hack or various other works on that premise.
    Maybe Log Horizon too. It really depends, .hack as a whole didn't have the fear of death in their game world, just death by a certain asshole. Net Force and Manna I have no clue.

Deleted
    So like taking intense drugs, but actually dying when doing something to risky. And it isnt as fun as taking intense drugs.

I shall pass.

Deleted
    No. The chitchatting and social life will get EXTREMELY old EXTREMELY fast.

If you die in the matrix you die in real life.

Deleted
    Have you watched Sword Art Online, OP? If not, I think it would be perfect for you.

I've seen too much .Hack// to ever try such a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be pretty cool, at least for a while. You'd have to be careful not to get too sucked in though.

If it were WoW I think I'd move to Shattrath or something where nobody can attack you and live out my days peddling juice and food that nobody buys and go into poverty from buying everything they sell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What if it's already reality and we just made the poor choice to play the Sims?
    Thankfully my controller isn't as sadistic as I am.

I would gladly live in a world like Sword Art Online. I would be more than willing to become fully immersed into a game world even if the threat of death wetter there everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm curious why you call SAO the scourge of anime.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm curious why you call SAO the scourge of anime.