Rent / Splitting Bills Question

Questions at the bottom, explanation following:

So I live with a buddy of mine who just bought a house and I'm staying in one of the rooms. Nothing too large, but no real complaints since the rent isn't too much. Currently the way bills has been done is we have split everything right down the middle, I pay half to mortgage, water, electric, cable and any other small fees that come up. All of which has been fine and has been no issue, but something else came up recently that he wants me to pay for: $400 Washer & Dryer. We used to live with a third roommate in a 3 bedroom house we were renting and when we first moved in our third roommate found a washer dryer set from someone who was moving for $150, which we all split. When we moved a couple months ago, me and my current roommate took the washer dryer since our old roommate had no place to store it. Now he can use them and is coming to get them tomorrow. Now here is my question:

-Should our old roommate pay back the rest of the money we split on the washer and dryer? (My current roommate says no, since he "let us use them," but all 3 of us paid for them...)

-And am I obligated to split $400 for a washer & dryer set in a house I don't own and don't get to take with me when I leave? And if so, should I get some of that money back when I leave?
    Quote Originally Posted by NGRazor
    If Russia suddenly put Satan in charge of their nukes and then they sent hellfire down on the Untied States, don't you think the U.S. would be pretty damn pissed when Russia said "well, we didn't know Satan would betray us."

This is a tricky subject. Is $400 the amount you'd be paying, or is that the total monthly payment?

I think you and the roommate should work out a written agreement that can be legally binding. My husband and I once got a rent-to-own washer/dryer set, and we were the only ones paying for it, even though the roommate (whose place we'd moved into) was using it, too. If the full amount is going towards the set, see if you can be put on the agreement, because you might be able to build a rapport with whoever they are working with. It's a lot of things that vary by country/state/county.

In my opinion, if you all split the $150 washer/dryer set evenly and he let you take it when you left, he should at least have to buy out your share. He should pay each of you $50 to take it off your hands. If he's not OK with that, tell him thats too bad. If you each invested in it, you each have an equal 1/3 share. The two of you constitute 2/3 of it, and thus it should remain with the majority owners. Maybe buyout his $50 share. The new one should be split down the middle, with one person buying out the other when you part ways.

I agree with your roommate no need to be a dick over $50 an honestly by the time this guys get is 2x few months out if which his entitled to it will probably be buggered anyway.

However in Oz it is customary of being a good guy to bring some beers and a pizza for a quick catch up instead of taking the washer and running, or at least giving you a bottle of spirits to share as an informal "i know i owe you two some cash but it's not that much now and it's not cool to talk about it it so here's some booze instead"

If $400 for a new washer & dryer is too much try and find another year or so old second hand one, and quick wash cycle and a wipe down are all they need

Quote Originally Posted by RaenavenBlacksun View Post
    This is a tricky subject. Is $400 the amount you'd be paying, or is that the total monthly payment?
    The $400 is the total, my only issue with it is, since he owns the house and would be owning the washer & dryer after I leave. Would use of the washer dryer not be included in my rent?
    Quote Originally Posted by NGRazor
    If Russia suddenly put Satan in charge of their nukes and then they sent hellfire down on the Untied States, don't you think the U.S. would be pretty damn pissed when Russia said "well, we didn't know Satan would betray us."

Dude why are you paying half the mortgage for a house that isn't yours? Fuck the washer and dryer problem, you shouldn't be paying half.

I'm quite knowledgable about housing situations so if you want real advice you should PM me the exact cost of everything you pay for, the cost of the mortgage, if it's fixed rate, interest rate %, how many years, etc. and the type of house/area it is, and I'll help you assess the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in case you don't PM me:

1. Your old roommate owes you.
    2. You should be working out a written lease like mentioned above.
    3. Get absolutely everything in writing and keep receipts.

You're renting, but you guys have the system set up as if it's co-ownership. I suspect the way you guys are doing this isn't entirely legal, but I can't back this up. In any case, this "paying half of everything" situation can easily lead to misunderstandings and abuses. In effect, you have a fluctuating and uncapped rent. That might never prove to be an issue on its own, but it does become an issue if he expects you to pay for repairs, upgrades, or (in this case) appliances. These aren't your responsibilities (well, the repairs would be if you caused direct damage to his house), and if you had a proper contract as a renter, he could never force you to pay for these things.

If you choose to help, or if you offer to loan him the money, or if you gain proper co-ownership of anything you both buy jointly, then it's ok for you to help him with these extra expenses. However, you do have a very obvious issue right now: since you don't have a proper contract, he's under no obligation to allow you to live with him (though he also can't just kick you out -- he has to give you notice (I think 2 weeks)). You guys are on shaky ground right now.