1. #1

    7 Great Pets for the Beginning World of Warcraft Pet Battler

    Put together this list for both beginner and seasoned pet battlers alike; and of course, your viewing pleasure: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...t-pet-battler/

    Let me know what you guys think. What did I miss/leave off? The one pet I can think of that I left off is the Crow from Darkmoon Faire/Island, although it's not exactly the easiest pet to procure.

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    5,887
    Nice. Ill go get some of those later. I had no idea my snarly was so good =)
    My Warlords of Draenor Screenshots so far!
    http://imgur.com/a/YCLjL#0
    http://imgur.com/a/2rApO#0

  3. #3
    Pit Lord Ihnasir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,478
    The Idol is great, I've been leveling one for a bit now. Had no clue XT was that good, maybe he'll be my go-to mechanical. I would say however, that the Celestial Dragon is an amazing starter pet.

  4. #4
    the purple puffer... hes a monster

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Nice. Ill go get some of those later. I had no idea my snarly was so good =)
    Can be fun to throw in other pets that have good synergy with the Rip effect as well: any bear with the move Maul for instance, which deals 394 additional damage if the target is bleeding.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Naxere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    45.0061° N, 93.1567° W
    Posts
    2,887
    Onyxian Whelping/Spawn of Onyxia was my go-to pet when leveling up a team to 25. I'd also put the Emerald Proto-Whelp on that list. Both aren't tough to acquire (not dropped/bought) and are pretty versatile.

  7. #7
    Thank you for this. Great article overall.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Thank you for this. Great article overall.
    I appreciate it. Makes all the effort worth it, friend.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Onyxian Whelping/Spawn of Onyxia was my go-to pet when leveling up a team to 25. I'd also put the Emerald Proto-Whelp on that list. Both aren't tough to acquire (not dropped/bought) and are pretty versatile.
    I leveled with an Onyxian Whelpling, and although it was a staple of my team -- I think the Sprite Darter Hatchling is easier to acquire for those that weren't around for the 5th Anniversary Celebration achievement.

    I've heard the Emerald Proto-Whelp is definitely a solid choice though; I'll have to play that one some more before I can form my own opinion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    The Idol is great, I've been leveling one for a bit now. Had no clue XT was that good, maybe he'll be my go-to mechanical. I would say however, that the Celestial Dragon is an amazing starter pet.
    Celestial Dragon is a bad-ass pet, no doubt about that; I strongly considered him for the list. However, 150 total pets is no small feat!

  9. #9
    i was about to spit on that list until i finally saw that anubisath idol.

    one i'd like to suggest is mechanical pandaren dragonling, that thing is truely amazing vs magic pets, they are weak vs mech, breath is strong and you can block 2 attacks, and with 309 speed you almost always go first, really laughs at the earth spirit trainer killing the magic pet & darnak.

  10. #10
    I leveled with an Onyxian Whelpling, and although it was a staple of my team -- I think the Sprite Darter Hatchling is easier to acquire for those that weren't around for the 5th Anniversary Celebration achievement.
    Take the Spawn of Onyxia, if you don't have the Anniversary Pet. Sprite Darter Hatchling is very good against flying pets, Lil Ony has a totally different moveset and is more the all around pet. Also Lil Onyxia can solo some MoP Trainers like Hyuna.

    Also there is no list without a PP Crab. With Shell Shield and Heal it's imo the best tanky pet. Can solo some Trainers too (Aki).

    I also wouldn't mention Snarly if you don't pair him with either Infested Bear Cub or Darkshore Cub (double Dmg Maul due to bleed + strong Hibernate heals).


    There is too many excellent pets out there.
    [x] no beta club

    All i know is that my gut says maybe.

  11. #11
    Have not done any pet battles so far... will give this a try! Thanks bionics!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    i was about to spit on that list until i finally saw that anubisath idol.

    one i'd like to suggest is mechanical pandaren dragonling, that thing is truely amazing vs magic pets, they are weak vs mech, breath is strong and you can block 2 attacks, and with 309 speed you almost always go first, really laughs at the earth spirit trainer killing the magic pet & darnak.
    I've already been spit on once today; might as well go for two so I have a better story to tell! (It was ginger ale. She was drunk. Don't ask.)

    I'm gonna give the pets both you and fryya suggested some more attention. Good ideas really; I was initially going to include the Magical Crawdad as a crab entry because of his Shell Shield/Wish combination moveset but he's also a pain in the ass to procure. Time to up my crab game though, don't you fine folk worry.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by fryya View Post


    There is too many excellent pets out there.
    Agreed. Makes pet battling that much more addictive though.

  13. #13
    As mech pet, I'd suggest Darkmoon Zep or Darkmoon Tonker. Much easier/cheaper to acquire and very strong PVE pet that you'll be happy to have them around in celestial tournament.

    For the beast one , when I started Pet battle I also took a cat as a beast then I got a bit frustrated with devour. Not as flexible as I wanted.
    I switched to a spider, I found Leech life much better than devour and their swarm at higher level deals lots of damage.
    I just had a another look at the available beasts and I still believe they are the best beast pet for a beginner (not hard to get, and good low level moveset). I suggest twilight spider (breed P/P), available at low level in Azshara, strongest spider around.

    As a dragon, I'd take one with tail sweep. It's such a great move. Add on top of it a heal and you have Onyxia Whellping or Spawn of Onyxia (can be captured in the wild, lvl 12) Good enduring pets that deal good damage.
    The emerald proto-whelp is also nice, very enduring but deals less damage. And also He's at higher level in the wild (around 20 I think).

    There also should be a bird. I used a Pterrordax Hatchling when I started but it might be a bit expensive/difficult to get. Yellow Moth is also very nice.

    Last but not least : should have a fast rabbit as well. Spring rabbit is a good candidate.
    Last edited by aloak; 2013-12-04 at 10:54 AM.

  14. #14
    While the list is nice, i sense the pets you use should Suite your playstyle as well.

    For my playstyle i would come up with a almost completeley different list.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by aloak View Post
    The emerald proto-whelp is also nice, very enduring but deals less damage. And also He's at higher level in the wild (around 20 I think).
    emerald proto-whelp is just insanely overpowered if you're using it vs the right pets, which is flying pets, the P/P breed is 341 attack, making emerald presence block 90 damage per hit, THEN factor in flying is weak vs dragons, THEN factor in most flying pets use multi hit abilities, and to just throw a whole bowl of icing on top you have emerald bite which is strong vs flying, this dragon makes legendary flying pets look completely useless even with the worst rng it will walk away full health everytime.

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Naxere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    45.0061° N, 93.1567° W
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    emerald proto-whelp is just insanely overpowered if you're using it vs the right pets, which is flying pets, the P/P breed is 341 attack, making emerald presence block 90 damage per hit, THEN factor in flying is weak vs dragons, THEN factor in most flying pets use multi hit abilities, and to just throw a whole bowl of icing on top you have emerald bite which is strong vs flying, this dragon makes legendary flying pets look completely useless even with the worst rng it will walk away full health everytime.
    Not just against Flyers (which he absolutely wrecks), but he's also good against any pet that uses a Stampede-type effect, or any pet that uses dots.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Not just against Flyers (which he absolutely wrecks), but he's also good against any pet that uses a Stampede-type effect, or any pet that uses dots.
    i generally use anubisath for that, due to sandstorm allowing me to swap in low level pet, take no damage jump out and pick up the 4k exp.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    emerald proto-whelp is just insanely overpowered if you're using it vs the right pets, which is flying pets, the P/P breed is 341 attack, making emerald presence block 90 damage per hit, THEN factor in flying is weak vs dragons, THEN factor in most flying pets use multi hit abilities, and to just throw a whole bowl of icing on top you have emerald bite which is strong vs flying, this dragon makes legendary flying pets look completely useless even with the worst rng it will walk away full health everytime.

    I was comparing this pet with Spawn of Onyxia for someone who is starting pet battle, let's say before getting the achievement "taming Northrend".

    A part from the fact that it's obtainable earlier, Spawn of Onyxia is in my opinion more versatile.

    But of course the proto-whelp is very strong and every serious pet battler got to have it at some point, I use mine in a couple of teams to duo some tamers. I don t question that at all.

  19. #19
    Great suggestions from all of you.

    How many of you guys are active in PvP pet battling? I'd like to collaborate to see what some of the most OP/top tier team combinations are and possibly devising a list of counters. (This aspect of the game is ever-changing though, so we'd have to take that into consideration.)

    If you guys want to submit anything of your own or toss around some ideas, I'd be happy to do either as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •