Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need second opinion

Someone made me a recommendation on a €800,- setup and I was looking for a second opinion on this.
    I'm not really into hardware myself so I'd appreciate all opinions given ^^

Here's a link

And how well would this run WoW and newer games?
    Last edited by mmoc037bfa2af0; 2013-12-04 at 05:25 PM. Reason: new link

I might be totally wrong here but from my experience last year when I went out to build my own PC, the clear impression I got from Reddit was that Blizzard games tend to run faster on Intel processors, so if you plan to spend most of your gaming time on Blizzard products, try to build an intel PC.

Deleted
    Try this list if you're using Azerty. €50 more for much more "future-proofing". It's missing an after-market cooler, but that can be added later, if you wish. I also changed the HDD, motherboard and RAM as it was originally an extra €80 over with the Vengeance RAM you initially had.

Deleted
    will it be considerably worse you think? Cause Ive heared the same thing, except for the fact that intel cpu's were better in general than amd

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Try this list if you're using Azerty. €50 more for much more "future-proofing". It's missing an after-market cooler, but that can be added later, if you wish. I also changed the HDD, motherboard and RAM as it was originally an extra €80 over with the Vengeance RAM you initially had.
    I see you switched the cpu from an AMD 8350 to an i5 4670k. On cpubenchmark.net the i5 scores much lower than the AMD, but it's actually more expensive. why is that? Is cpubenchmark.net not to be trusted?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheetka View Post
    I see you switched the cpu from an AMD 8350 to an i5 4670k. On cpubenchmark.net the i5 scores much lower than the AMD, but it's actually more expensive. why is that? Is cpubenchmark.net not to be trusted?
    It's not that it's not to be trusted... the information is accurate, it's distilling how that information is useful to you.

It's like comparing a sedan to a 4WD truck in offroad capability as a benchmark for which car you should get for that 10 mile highway drive to work.

cpubenchmark.net is using aggregate cores/threads power (Which is largely a useless benchmark outside of ... well.. benchmarking, and things like video encoding).

Intel has a higher single core power, which is largely the most important factor for most games. The amd is 'faster' and has 'more cores' but simply isnt 'better' in this application.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Someone made me a recommendation on a €800,- setup and I was looking for a second opinion on this.
    I'm not really into hardware myself so I'd appreciate all opinions given ^^

Here's a link

And how well would this run WoW and newer games?
    Current MMO game engines the AMD is far behind. Engines are 3 cores and the Intel kills the AMD per core. Now if you are talking about FPS games and all the upcoming frostbite 3 engine games and "next gen" console ports? The 8350 is pretty good. AMD is flat out horrible in really cpu intensive games like Guild Wars 2 (check out their tech support forum).

Here is the thing that everyone seems to forget though. You should not be running a 8350 on a non 990fx board with low power phases. There are some exceptions and you can research the power phases on them, but as a rule, 990fx for that chip and those boards are way more then a cheap z87 usually.

You can run a Haswell on the cheapest Z87 board there is and it will be rock solid and still overclock. To OC the 8350 or even have it be really stable you want a 990fx board. You also need a bigger power supply to OC the 8350 or even run it at stock. All things considered? The 8350 is usually very close to the I5 in price for a total build that will last and be stable and that has headroom.

Now when you go ultra low budget like the 6300 chip? Yeah in new games like BF4, those chips are pretty damn good. When you get to the higher end? I wouldn't get the 8350. The I5 on a slight/safe overclock will kill it in new games, while using half the power. When all 8 threads are being used for a game, guess what goes out the window? Multi tasking.

The I5 will probably always be as good or better in the newer games while dominating the older games. This might change with the next AMD chipset, but I doubt it. Mantle supposedly can run maxed on a 2.5ghz I7 without a CPU bottleneck. I don't expect WoW will be mantle any time soon though if ever. If you do 25 man raiding? Get an intel. That simple.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the help guys, means a lot to me. Didn't know this was all that complicated.

So with this setup (thnx angrychicken), how will it run the modern games as in fps?

Deleted
    will it be considerably worse you think? Cause Ive heared the same thing, except for the fact that intel cpu's were better in general than amd

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that it's flat-better; it's that the i5 is better for your particular purpose. The only thing missing is the cooler, which should cost between €30-40 for a good low-end OC (3.8-4.0 GHz).

Deleted
    Can someone confirm for me of this list has all the necessary parts needed so I dont forget anything? And if they are compatible with each other and so on?

Gonna try to build it myself so that'll be one hell of a challenge I guess ^^

edit: I know it's missing a cooler but that's only needed when I OC right?

The last link you provided is only for a monitor. As for the cooler, your CPU will come with a stock cooler, but if you do plan on overclocking anytime soon, it'd be best to go ahead with a better cooler right from the start. Less hassle later on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    The last link you provided is only for a monitor. As for the cooler, your CPU will come with a stock cooler, but if you do plan on overclocking anytime soon, it'd be best to go ahead with a better cooler right from the start. Less hassle later on.
    Hoo sorry about that

here's the good link, hopefully

Can someone confirm for me of this list has all the necessary parts needed so I dont forget anything? And if they are compatible with each other and so on?

Gonna try to build it myself so that'll be one hell of a challenge I guess ^^

edit: I know it's missing a cooler but that's only needed when I OC right?
    I5 Haswell at stock speeds with a stock cooler is ok. I7 not so much. Way too damn hot in 8 thread programs and games (like BF4). You can also under volt on manual (leave power saving to dynamic and adaptive off). Some of these motherboards set the stock voltage setting way too damn high on Haswell's. If it is at like 1.051 volts at stock? That is what you would most likely need for 4ghz on 8 threads. Many if not most i5's will do 4 threads at stock at under or around 1 volt. So if if the stock cooler is a little hot on the I5? Just undervolt the chip a bit. Undervolting never hurts the chip. It either runs stable or it doesn't. It will just give you lower temps, and better power consumption and will actually prolong the life of the chip. Test on prime 95 on 2 threads only with blend test. Testing 2 cores is very cool on the temps and your max turbo speed is on 2 cores, so it should find instability pretty quick if it is there. Let it go like 10 minutes, play some games. No crashing? Your set. Also don't set volts ridiculously low (like way under .950's), unless you like playing with a jumper on your mb. Lower it a bit, it if is stable? Grats your done.

If you decide to OC later? Add a aftermarket cooler.

Deleted
    Try this list. ~€20 more for a 270X or you can change that for the Sapphire BF4 edition.

Quote Originally Posted by deathjester View Post
    I5 Haswell at stock speeds with a stock cooler is ok. I7 not so much. Way too damn hot in 8 thread programs and games (like BF4).
    Stock cooler is fine as long as you're not overclocking. There's no way in hell you're hitting 100c on stock cooling unless you installed it incorrectly.

Some of these motherboards set the stock voltage setting way too damn high on Haswell's. If it is at like 1.051 volts at stock? That is what you would most likely need for 4ghz on 8 threads.
    Nope, Intel sets default stock voltage. It's built into the chip.

Many if not most i5's will do 4 threads at stock at under or around 1 volt.
    Nearly every Haswell chip has a max stock voltage of 1v.

It will just give you lower temps, and better power consumption and will actually prolong the life of the chip.
    Completely unnecessary considering stock chips can last decades.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Stock cooler is fine as long as you're not overclocking. There's no way in hell you're hitting 100c on stock cooling unless you installed it incorrectly.

Nope, Intel sets default stock voltage. It's built into the chip.

Nearly every Haswell chip has a max stock voltage of 1v.

Completely unnecessary considering stock chips can last decades.
    Could you explain to me why the same exact fan is used on an I5 and a I7 when hyperthreading and more threads adds temps? Thanks in advance. Also explain how a fan that is good enough for 4 threads is magically good for 8. Also tell me this with a straight face while you have a water cooler and are stuck at 4.3 due to heat...

LOL @ not installing a intel stock fan correctly.

LOL harder at max voltage of 1 v on I5's when numerous people on this board say there stock is as high as 1.051 on an I5. Mine was 1.031 on the I7. .950 was stable on turbo quad speeds. Took 1.015 to be stable with 2 cores turboing to 3.9 in prime.

Undervolting is completely unnecessary? If he is using the stock fan, you recommend higher power usage and higher temps for no reason whatsoever? Cool. Thanks for the tips man!

HEAT IS GOOD. So is more power usage. You heard it from the guy who goes water cooling and uses a single rad and probably is too dumb to unlink cache which is why he is stuck at 4.3. Report me again. I am sick of you following me on this forum with stupidity lol. Next report should get me the ban. You, faith and that other clown can give people bad advice for all I care.

Stock cooler's on I7's unnecessary voltage, single rad water coolers and 70 dollar evo's. Most hilarious "tech" forum ever.

Infracted. Again, why do we feel the need to insult when arguing? Point/Counter-Point works just fine without insults or demeaning text. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2013-12-06 at 11:05 PM.

Deleted
    Could you explain to me why the same exact fan is used on an I5 and a I7 when hyperthreading and more threads adds temps? Thanks in advance. Also explain how a fan that is good enough for 4 threads is magically good for 8. Also tell me this with a straight face while you have a water cooler and are stuck at 4.3 due to heat...

LOL @ not installing a intel stock fan correctly.

LOL harder at max voltage of 1 v on I5's when numerous people on this board say there stock is as high as 1.051 on an I5. Mine was 1.031 on the I7. .950 was stable on turbo quad speeds. Took 1.015 to be stable with 2 cores turboing to 3.9 in prime.

Undervolting is completely unnecessary? If he is using the stock fan, you recommend higher power usage and higher temps for no reason whatsoever? Cool. Thanks for the tips man!

HEAT IS GOOD. So is more power usage. You heard it from the guy who goes water cooling and uses a single rad and probably is too dumb to unlink cache which is why he is stuck at 4.3. Report me again. I am sick of you following me on this forum with stupidity lol. Next report should get me the ban. You, faith and that other clown can give people bad advice for all I care.

Stock cooler's on I7's unnecessary voltage, single rad water coolers and 70 dollar evo's. Most hilarious "tech" forum ever.

Infracted. Again, why do we feel the need to insult when arguing? Point/Counter-Point works just fine without insults or demeaning text. - Cilraaz
    So does this mean the list tenangrychickens posted doesn't work like it should? Or is this just an argument between you guys?

Deleted
    So does this mean the list tenangrychickens posted doesn't work like it should? Or is this just an argument between you guys?
    It's fine for stock, but all you need to do, if you want to overclock, is get a cooler such as the Hyper 212 EVO, clean your CPU using a TIM remover, and follow the instructions. The Intel stock cooler is...well, it's stock, so it's good as a basic cooler. It should suit your needs for most games, though WoW is a little eccentric when it comes to recommending parts for, which is only partly due to the age of the codebase for it. That means that it should play fine on high settings, but a stable overclock is required to eke out those last few extra frames per second.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    It's fine for stock, but all you need to do, if you want to overclock, is get a cooler such as the Hyper 212 EVO, clean your CPU using a TIM remover, and follow the instructions. The Intel stock cooler is...well, it's stock, so it's good as a basic cooler. It should suit your needs for most games, though WoW is a little eccentric when it comes to recommending parts for, which is only partly due to the age of the codebase for it. That means that it should play fine on high settings, but a stable overclock is required to eke out those last few extra frames per second.
    Alright, 1 more question. Could you recommend me a good monitor from this list? http://azerty.nl/36-1055/22-inch-.html
    Are there things I should be aware of? what makes a good monitor? Preferably cheapest possible, but decent specs.

Deleted
    Alright, 1 more question. Could you recommend me a good monitor from this list? http://azerty.nl/36-1055/22-inch-.html
    Are there things I should be aware of? what makes a good monitor? Preferably cheapest possible, but decent specs.
    Depending on your budget, I'd recommend none of those, and would plump for one of the 23" sets like this one.

I can recommend you iiyama monitor. I don't have the one from your list, but X2377HDS and it is a beauty. iiyama ftw

edit: I wouldn't buy 22" btw, I'd pick one of these.
    Last edited by barricade_; 2013-12-12 at 05:32 PM.