Pet Battling 101

I honestly am driving myself insane with pet battling. I left World of Warcraft in end of Wrath of the Lich King. I recently returned this month. I have done 2 of the zone battle masters and the team I am using beat them but struggled a lot. I have talked to numerous people about pet battling and I know I don't have the knowledge needed to be a master at this time or even PvP pet battles but I would just like to build a team of 3 to be able to raise to level 25 and beat all the pet battle masters by zone and do the quest. I have quite a few pets. I in fact have every blizzard store pet as well. I was thinking just because they were paid with real currency pets and they were rare quality that they would own so easily but apparently there is stats and types and all this and I am just so confused to the point that it upsets me and I can't find a single person who will answer questions I need or at least help me set up a basic team so I can play and enjoy.

Here's the pets I have: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s=is-collected

I am asking that anyone with a decent pet battling knowledge please help me. Please just don't tell me this is better than this or I should raise this type of pet and leave me to it on my own like so many people i asked already have done.

If anyone would be willing to tell or pick out 3 pets that would work good together for what I want to do that would be awesome and much appreciated! I would admire you forever!

The way I (and many others it seems) started out was by picking 3 pets with 3 things: A heal, an avoidance/reduction mechanic, and an attack. The goal is to get 1-2 pets to level 25, then use them to power level any others you might like.

I leveled with a crab, a spider, and a faerie dragon. Crabs and spiders can keep themselves alive through many battles... though I would hesitate on using the bone spider (undead pets are vulnerable to critters, which is a great percentage of the creature/attacks youll face.)

Once you get the 25; start with the low level pet, use one ability (doesn't matter if it hits or misses or deals damage) then decimate the enemy team with the 25.

Battle master tips:
    When you first get into the fight right click on the opponents pets and "show in pet journal" then read what each ability does. Once you know what they can do, fight them a few times to see how they use abilities and in what order. Typically they have a set pattern to their attacks, allowing you to predict what is coming and respond accordingly.

What I currently use for battle masters and why:
    Onyxian Whelp: Tail Sweep, Healing Flame, Fly-up.
    Tail Sweep - Onyxian has one of the slowest speeds of any pet, but a great attack. Sweep takes advantage of the low speed to do extra damage.
    Healing Flame - Use after a big hit I know is coming that I can survive, or on cooldown against smaller enemies, again the high attack increases the base healing enough that even if I don't recover a lot from their attack I will still recover a decent amount.
    Fly Up - Use at the same time the trainers pets - Dive, Burrow, Charge a 2 round attack, etc etc. Onyxians slow speed means if you use it at the same time that they do their attack will miss and yours will hit.

Bad Wolf: Claw, Dodge, Howl
    Claw - Just a high damage attack
    Dodge - My wolf has a 325 speed, combined with dodge it works exactly the opposite of Onyxians Fly up. Use it to counter an enemy's attack in the round that they hit you with it. If you use dodge and your faster than your opponent, you will avoid the attack in that round AND the attack in the next round. Giving you 2 rounds of avoidance. Sweet deal.
    Howl - Shatter Defenses is the most important ability you can have. 100% increased damage taken is they key to decimating most of the epic and legendary healers/damage reducers. (Claw til the first big attack, Dodge, Howl, Claw, Claw, Claw, repeat)

Chi-Chi: Fire Quill, Wild Magic, Ethereal
    Fire Quill - Does 2-3 attacks if your faster than your opponent, long as you can keep Chi above 50% health there are few pets who will be faster, multiple attacks for this pet are important for the next ability.
    Wild Magic - Increase damage taken by x. Each hit gets this bonus, so Onyxian would get it twice with tail sweep (cause it attacks twice) and Chi will get it 2-3 times. Combinations like this, with Shatter Defenses, are how you can easily beat legendary pets.
    Ethereal - is a "near-guaranteed go first" avoidance ability. Much like dodge (although without the additional turn) it has a shorter cooldown and only a pet with a high speed and surge will not let you avoid the attack (and even then you can avoid it by being above 50% health)

Take from that the keys to beating every trainer in WoW. For an additional piece of info, get:
    Sunreaver Micro-Sentry, Zandalari Kneebiter x2.
    Immolate + Lightning Storm, switch pet, Black Claw + Hunting Party til dead. (Dots, Storm Procs, Damage booster applies to the dot, the storm damage, and each of the 3 hits from the swarm attack, Double Damage the round after will kill literally anything at all.)

Edited for content and clarity.
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2013-11-26 at 12:55 AM.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    The way I (and many others it seems) started out was by picking 3 pets with 3 things: A heal, an avoidance/reduction mechanic, and an attack. The goal is to get 1-2 pets to level 25, then use them to power level any others you might like.

I leveled with a crab, a spider, and a faerie dragon. Crabs and spiders can keep themselves alive through many battles... though I would hesitate on using the bone spider (undead pets are vulnerable to critters, which is a great percentage of the creature/attacks youll face.)

Once you get the 25; start with the low level pet, use one ability (doesn't matter if it hits or misses or deals damage) then decimate the enemy team with the 25.
    Out of the rare pets I have what would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbeastx View Post
    You could use the Shale Spider, Strand Crawler, + 1 other just to level (and just wild pet level them to 25 to level a variety of others.)

Otherwise:
    Sunreaver Micro-Sentry
    Zandalari Kneebiter (and Zandalari Anklerender if you don't want to get another Kneebiter)
    Pandaren Monk
    Core Hound Pup (use like Onyxia, but with no healing and Howl instead)
    Terrible Turnip (this is the pet you'll want to use to catch other pets, Weakening Blow will never accidentially kill a pet)

That should get you started.

Pets for later:
    Cockroach (Stall team with Apocalypse, Roach - Apoc, Switch to Spider/Crab and stall til round 14 then switch to Roach)
    Moth - Mothballs is so freakin ridiculous, + avoidance with cocoon.
    Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - Decoy will be very helpful in the future, and bomb is a great attack.
    Mana Wyrmling - For previous reasons.
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2013-11-26 at 01:07 AM.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbeastx View Post
    I'd go with the Zandalari Anklerender, Strand Crawler and Lil' Tarecgosa (though, a Nether Faerie Dragon or Sprite Darter Hatchling would be better)

Once you get the Anklerender to 25, you can easily powerlevel any other pets by killing the critter wild pets in the Valley of the Four Winds.
    Using Hunting Party/Leap/Devour allows you to easily solo those wild pets, while swapping in a low lvl pet for 1 turn so it'll get the exp.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

Any of those cat pets will also be good. They have the self-healing devour which helps with less downtime between fights.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    you kid right Jaojin? he doesnt even have a lv 25 and you recomend him a celestial pet to use...

and to the op you cant do all the pet batle stuff w/ just 3 pets.

and store pets have unique abilites n stats but they arent inherently better

Deleted
    If you want just to beat all the regular pet battle master you can do it with any 3 random pets, just don't choose for example three elementals.

Sent you a PM Cyberbeastx!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Hands down, the first pet you should level should be Zandalari Anklerender. I personally much prefer a P/P breed but that's just me.
    I'd also try and snag an Anubisath Idol. Barring that, you can pick up a Flayer Youngling, but i'd aim for the S/S breed on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

The problem you're having is that your two of your three pets are Elemental and that most of your abilities are Elemental type - when you first start pet battling the majority of pets you fight are Beast and Critter - this means that half of your opponents at that level take less damage.

Change your team up for now so that you've got three different pets each of a different type - and make sure that you've got at least one Beast spell (strong against Critters) and one Flying spell (strong against Beasts) - these will be the two types you see most often.

As you fight trainers, you can forfeit the fight without a loss of health - start the trainer battle, find out what pet they use first and you can forfeit and swap to your strongest pet for that opponent (either a pet that takes less damage or a pet with moves that do more damage).

any suggestions for the best way to start your first pet? is an owl worth keeping?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    and to the op you cant do all the pet batle stuff w/ just 3 pets.
    Actually, you can do all of it except the 4 celestials in the tournament (which aren't feasible to attempt due to being gated). You'd need a pretty versatile team though, one that covers a lot of areas between them as well as being decent in their own right. (not to mention you'd be doing it purely for fun/challenge, as some fights take a lot of luck as well as careful planning)

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing I've picked up that was important was not to get tied down to just one team; swapping pets has been beneficial in a few areas; I learned a lot of different abilities and strategies, I learned a great deal about the weaknesses and strengths, and it is fun seeing pets level almost every fight.

A couple of quick notes though:
    A crab makes an amazing tank; it didn't take me long to find a rare, and I was able to solo most world pet battles with him alone, which helped me level more lowbies.

I used a Nether Fairie Dragon to great effect; they destroy flyers, and they have an attack that equalizes their health with the opponent; I usually save it for after I kill one pet and the next one comes in with high health, but of course you can use it if you're getting smashed.