Poll: Do max level 5 mans still have a purpose?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The End of 5 Mans?

I was thinking about this the other day. With heroic scenarios turning out to be relatively successful, the 5 man role based dungeon model seems to be turning obsolete. With role-free scenarios, players are forced to learn a little bit more about their class than just tunnel, and the content itself seems to be more entertaining. Dungeons are entirely irrelevant at max level in MoP. While they will probably still exist during the leveling process, do you think max level 5 mans should continue to exist in the game? I don't think so because they take away development time from better content and they are pretty much useles after the first tier of content.

Deleted
    I do. They're a perfect introduction to raiding. Questing > Scenarios > 5 Mans > Raiding is a very fluid and natural progression.

They help people understand their role in a group before entering raiding, since they're a scaled down version of standard raiding roles.

I miss having new and harder heroics to do on my alts. Scenarios just do not fill that void.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

15+ Year Old Account
    I won't even play an expansion without dungeons tbh. They are a core part of WoW for me and scenarios without roles just pale in comparison.

Unless the intent is to continue with a Timeless Isle model where you randomly find gear of an LFR entry level, then heroic 5 man dungeons will still be required as it's the next gear progression in between questing/normal dungeons and LFR. Scenarios are too random and unless they change their loot distribution model drastically, they would never gear the player fast enough. Every boss in a heroic dungeon drops gear every time you run it, with scenarios you might get one piece of gear at the end and thats a once a day proposition.
    The only way that heroic 5 mans disappear is if scenarios give you a cache at the end of every run with a chance at gear, or the valor/justice cost of gear is dropped substantially and you can buy the gear you want after running scenarios into the ground.

Deleted
    The only reason heroic dungeons are feeling obsolete is the gear dropped from them is obsolete. Heroic Scenarios has in my opinion been a huge fiasco. The only reason people run them is because of the drops and valor. Imagine if a heroic dungeon gave 150 valor and 516 loot while scenarios gave 80 and 463 loot. How many people would run scenarios then you thin?

What has been missing in this expansion is harder heroic dungeons as they have been way to easy aswell as new dungeons as tiers progressed with better rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    The only reason heroic dungeons are feeling obsolete is the gear dropped from them is obsolete. Heroic Scenarios has in my opinion been a huge fiasco. The only reason people run them is because of the drops and valor. Imagine if a heroic dungeon gave 150 valor and 516 loot while scenarios gave 80 and 463 loot. How many people would run scenarios then you thin?

What has been missing in this expansion is harder heroic dungeons as they have been way to easy aswell as new dungeons as tiers progressed with better rewards.
    An hour of twilight difficultty would be right for me, don't want the same nightmare that we had at the beggining of cataclysm and patch 4.1...Jin'do the pugbreaker, I cringe when I hear his name
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain that the next expansion, blizz has said that they will have dungeons, lvl 100 versions of said dungeons, THEN heroic mode (with a difficulty akin to TBC-esque heroics, that you will have to find a group for to enter), and THEN challenge modes (which will continue to offer high valor rewards+vanity things), with the overall progression being scenarios=lvl 100 (lets call it normal) version of dungeon->>heroic modes->LFR raid->normal->heroic->mythic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

TBH I think they are only useful at the start, and even that's dubious. I would like them more if they incorporated more raid-like mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Natiry427 View Post
    With heroic scenarios turning out to be relatively successful, the 5 man role based dungeon model seems to be turning obsolete. With role-free scenarios, players are forced to learn a little bit more about their class than just tunnel, and the content itself seems to be more entertaining.
    I can't say I agree. I think scenarios are, even in their heroic variant, the far less interesting and entertaining form of content.

10+ Year Old Account
    they serve a purpose at the start of a expansion. I dont mind them. keep em in. scenarios are pretty one dimensional imo
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

I miss 5 mans, I loved the 3.3 ICC 5-Mans (Pit of Saron etc) and the Zul'Aman / Zul'Gurub dungeons where we had to think when playing. We had to CC, and we had talk in chat. I know the community has changed, but god I miss this.

I also like to wipe. It means something was hard, or someone was learning and the group were talking to a person (not abusing) and helping them out. The old 5-mans forced communications. Now it is gone, and you barely get a hello out of people.

Bring back CC, Wipes, and Communications with 5 mans. And yes, I hope they bring out more 5 mans and not let them die.

Deleted
    I prefer scenarios as they are faster to queue for and I've encountered less bad attitude in them. I hope Scenarios will evolve more and that they will be on similar footing with dungeons. I'd hate for one to be the stepping stone to the other, more choice is better.

I'm pretty sure they said during the WoD intro stuff at Blizzcon that they felt they missed the mark with not having more 5 mans in MoP. That they want to have more 5 mans going into later patches in WoD, possibly even using some kind of scaling to make sure that come 2 patches in they're not obsolete. Having said that they also stated that they like scenarios too so who knows which direction they'll go. I personally like 5 mans and hope they shift the focus off of scenarios and back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    An hour of twilight difficultty would be right for me, don't want the same nightmare that we had at the beggining of cataclysm and patch 4.1...Jin'do the pugbreaker, I cringe when I hear his name
    Forget Jin'do, what about… hell anything in Grim Batol or Corborus and Ozruk in Stonecore?

10+ Year Old Account
    On one edge i would say that heroic scenarios are a fine alternative to 5-man dungeons. On the other edge i would love to see 5-man dungeons back in WoD. I thought that Blizzard said they would bring more 5-man dungeons back in the game.

Maybe Blizzard can do the best of both worlds. 5-man dungeons, but without the requirement of certain role needs. Only that it would make things easier, but again NOT necessary to have each role. That would speed up a lot of things.

Deleted
    YES please. Go back to the ICC way / Cataclysm way. Hell even remove LFG and have us make the groups. That would be great. Just dont make me have to gear my alts trought a random change of getting loot in a wipe fest LFR like thing.

I hope they get to play a bigger role during WoD.

Just getting random epics on the time-less isle feels so... meh...

If they manage to keep 5-man dungeons relevant throughout the expansion's patches, I'd be pleased.
    Aslong as they don't get lazy... I like me some quallity 5 mans.
    I like Scenarios too though, both have their place.

I like 5 man's, just not how they are done in MoP. Hit 90 and faceroll 5 man's for a couple of days for gear that is replaced a week later was just meh.