Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I was so and so on if the movie had the potential to be good.

Now I feel this movie has a very strong potential to be good if they nail the story and CGI looks good. A lot of the actors chosen so far are pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    They have 'star power' in the IP without having to cast a bunch of overpaid actors. People are going to see this because it's Warcraft, not because it has Tom Cruise in it. Similarly the new Star Wars movie could use actors that have never been in a single movie and millions of people will go see it. When you have the IP, you don't need the actors.
    This may come as a shock to you but not everyone in the world has heard of Warcraft. The only people the name will bring in is already people who would go anyways. That is why you have a bunch of overpaid actors in a film. They get bums on seats. Some game you have never heard of will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Never heard of any of them. So it looks like it will be a crappy B movie that will go to DVD a month after its in theaters
    Foster is one of the good actors of his generation, and Kazinsky was solid in True Blood. Paul Patton has been in a lot of good, hit, movies. I could go on, but you probably didn't get much Hollywood coverage under that rock you've been apparently living under.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    This may come as a shock to you but not everyone in the world has heard of Warcraft. The only people the name will bring in is already people who would go anyways. That is why you have a bunch of overpaid actors in a film. They get bums on seats. Some game you have never heard of will not.
    Well I was going to break it down before, but didn't want to waste my fingers. Since you thought you'd be clever, you should realize what the entire player base that has ever played amounts to. It's a fairly staggering number. If you think it's as small as their highest peak subscription, you'd be woefully off. If even 50% of past/current players go see the movie then they are off to a hundreds of millions start. And this may come as a shock to you, but typical audiences seeing big flashy commercials on their TV's goes a long way to putting them in a theater seat. Big Movies create stars, they don't need them unless they have no substance, poor marketing, and typically no value. (Oh hello GI Joe movies)
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I am a tad worried because WoW generally has a pretty negative public perception - it's seen as being for geeks who sit in their mum's basement and play 14 hours a day. Not true of course, but that's what a lot of people think.

Now if they market it well it can draw people in without any star power, even if it would be helpful. And in all fairness the current fanbase is going to make a significant base for the film to rely upon. Not just the 7ish million playing now but people who maybe quit because of gameplay reasons but still like the story, or old RTS fans who'll be glad to get back to the roots of the story. And as watching a movie is much less of a dedication than playing a game, it'll be much easier for those fans to drag their friends along.

Honestly, nothing against the actors, or anyone else involved with the project... but I just really don't have high hopes for this. If they were going to make a Warcraft movie, they're already about six years late, and considering they've already gone on-record saying they won't be using CGI for the Orcs, I'm pretty confident the movie will, at best, feel nothing like the Warcraft series, and likely worse; it will actually fundamentally change the series itself.

For example, just look at the actors they've picked; they're all skinny. It's all typical Hollywood "looks". That is not, in and of itself, a bad thing, but Warcraft is *defined* by its ugliness. At their very best, they might be able to pass as the soft-hearted Anduin Wrynn sort of characters, but none of them look like they could actually take a punch from the likes of a true Warcraft Orc -- or even a Warcraft Human!

The concern I have is that this will usher in a "new look" for the Warcraft franchise. This movie will presumably have a big budget, and nothing hypes a movie more than cross-promotion. Seeing as World of Warcraft is still going strong, this will be seen as an opportunity to boost the popularity of both the movie, and the game. Our new character-models might wind up looking a little less "Warcraft-y" and a little more realistic. After all, if the movie *is* a success, why would they risk the potential of getting movie-goers to try WoW out? And Samwise's art-style might wind up alienating those who watched the movie, so...

Also consider that, by all accounts, the movie will revolve around the First War, of which Lothar, Medivh, and King Wrynn are the most notable Human figures, and *maybe* Khadgar. Instead of hiring actors that match the images put fourth of those characters, instead we will likely see the inverse, with future in-game counterparts being based on the actors themselves.

I just have a very, very bad feeling about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Honestly, nothing against the actors, or anyone else involved with the project... but I just really don't have high hopes for this. If they were going to make a Warcraft movie, they're already about six years late, and considering they've already gone on-record saying they won't be using CGI for the Orcs, I'm pretty confident the movie will, at best, feel nothing like the Warcraft series, and likely worse; it will actually fundamentally change the series itself.

For example, just look at the actors they've picked; they're all skinny. It's all typical Hollywood "looks". That is not, in and of itself, a bad thing, but Warcraft is *defined* by its ugliness. At their very best, they might be able to pass as the soft-hearted Anduin Wrynn sort of characters, but none of them look like they could actually take a punch from the likes of a true Warcraft Orc -- or even a Warcraft Human!

The concern I have is that this will usher in a "new look" for the Warcraft franchise. This movie will presumably have a big budget, and nothing hypes a movie more than cross-promotion. Seeing as World of Warcraft is still going strong, this will be seen as an opportunity to boost the popularity of both the movie, and the game. Our new character-models might wind up looking a little less "Warcraft-y" and a little more realistic. After all, if the movie *is* a success, why would they risk the potential of getting movie-goers to try WoW out? And Samwise's art-style might wind up alienating those who watched the movie, so...

Also consider that, by all accounts, the movie will revolve around the First War, of which Lothar, Medivh, and King Wrynn are the most notable Human figures, and *maybe* Khadgar. Instead of hiring actors that match the images put fourth of those characters, instead we will likely see the inverse, with future in-game counterparts being based on the actors themselves.

I just have a very, very bad feeling about this.
    The quality of the movie is going to be different to what we get ingame. I think you're getting worried over nothing. There's no way the game can as of now depict real life action in WoW. Cause that is what the movie is about. The scenery will be much larger compared to WoW. You're kind of arguing gameplay v.s. visuals in a MOVIE.

Pretty big difference.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    With too many big stars can be disastrous.

Speaking of LOTR I never heard of Viggo before LOTR. Same with Orlando Bloom. Ian Mckellan and Christopher I knew those... from X-Men and Attack of the Clones(Count Dooku remember?).That's all. I'm sure we'll hear more.
    Ian Mckellan and Christopher Lee are little more famous than for X-Men and Attack of the Clones

Sure, too many big names can spoil it as there's only so much budget. But one or two will help give it more credibility.

Deleted
    Warcraft is defined by it's ugliness? Where are you getting that from? It's style is cartoonish and friendly for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Well if you live outside the US/UK you probably arent watching American/UK movies unless you also speak English or like missing half the movie to read subtitles
    Spoken like a true IGNORANT..

You miss NOTHING of the movie, by having subtitles.. If anything, you GAIN something, because if you miss something being said, you can read it on the text..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Actors do this all the time - they can completely transform themselves for a role.....
    He recently gained about 50 pounds for American Hustle. He's notorious for drastic body changes. In terms of actors beefing up, it's like the easiest thing they do. The studios give them personal trainers and pounds and pounds of food. Pretty much all they do is eat and work out when they are getting ready for that stuff. Considering they are getting paid millions of dollars for it, it's rather easy(motivationally). I guarantee all these guys, unless they are playing wizards, are going to go full on 300 abs workouts. Sometimes they can put on 40 pounds of muscle in a month or two. It's probably one of the most underrated aspects of being an actor.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    It's a fairly staggering number. If you think it's as small as their highest peak subscription, you'd be woefully off. If even 50% of past/current players go see the movie then they are off to a hundreds of millions start. And this may come as a shock to you, but typical audiences seeing big flashy commercials on their TV's goes a long way to putting them in a theater seat. Big Movies create stars, they don't need them unless they have no substance, poor marketing, and typically no value. (Oh hello GI Joe movies)
    If you think hundreds of millions of people have played WoW then you are deluded.

Deleted
    I think a couple of kind of fresh faces will do the movie good. Just like the casting of LotR had as mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogpot View Post
    I think a couple of kind of fresh faces will do the movie good. Just like the casting of LotR had as mentioned earlier.
    Indeed. My only worry is that without some big name to draw in the people who don't know what Warcraft is they could take a hit. LotR did have some big names and is a much bigger IP than Warcraft. I hope it will be a great movie but Joe Average may just see it and another 'Video Game Film' and all the negative connotations that brings. I love WoW lore so i hope it won't suffer from it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I swear half of the WoW players really do live in a cave. I've seen every single one of these actors with exception of Travis Fimmel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbane View Post
    Empire, the second book of the Legend of Sigmar omnibus by Graham McNeill, won the much coveted David Gemmel Legend Award for Best Fantasy Novel in 2010.
    The Horus Heresy series has also been in the NYT bestseller list for some reason (also written by the same author).

That being said, these were based on background info from Tabletop Games, not Video Games.
    Yeah I wouldn't count those sorts of books, like Warhammer or Battletech or whatever. Different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyninja View Post
    It's not arguable, Iron Man was never as popular as Thor before the movies. Hell, Iron Man's current ongoing isn't really all that popular right now either.

The only super heroes that any non comic book reader knew about before the big comic book movie boom the 2000s shot off was the DC Trinity, Spider-man, Captain America, and the X-men. Every other person would know a couple more, but everyone at least knew those heroes. Certainly no one in the "general public" knew anything about Iron Man, most people still don't outside of what they've seen from the movies.
    Captain America was pretty much forgotten before his movie as well. People might've dimly remembered Fantastic Four.

I still disagree about Iron Man vs Thor. Sure Iron Man wasn't well remembered but Thor? Maybe if you watched Avengers cartoons or something way back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmats4020 View Post
    Star Wars' actors. Lord of the Ring's actors. Yeah . . .
    LoTR's actors were not unknowns at the time, except Viggo Mortensen. They may not have been A-list at the time but still.

Star Wars was considered a major risk at the time (presuming you mean the original movie).

Quote Originally Posted by elmowaki View Post
    I really like the fact that the cast isnt that well known. Getting tired of always seeing the same faces.

And btw, who knew all the Harry Potter and LOTRO actors beforehand?
    Um, maybe this is a UK vs American thing but apart from the child actors everyone in Harry Potter was a huge British actor. Like seriously I think they managed to employ every big name British actor who'd ever been in anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I swear half of the WoW players really do live in a cave. I've seen every single one of these actors with exception of Travis Fimmel.
    I watch a lot of movies and I've seen a few of them in roles I don't remember them well from. Except the guy who played Archangel in X3 and that's not a great recommendation.

A lot of them are from movies that came out in the last couple of years, not much of a pedigree.

Not saying they aren't good actors, maybe they're amazing, but it's quite fair to characterise them as not well known.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Ian Mckellan and Christopher Lee are little more famous than for X-Men and Attack of the Clones

Sure, too many big names can spoil it as there's only so much budget. But one or two will help give it more credibility.
    As long as the actor can play the part well enough that you don't feel like they are a character from a previous movie we're good. That's the true talent of a good actor.

It's a fantasy film based on a computer game. There is no precedent for success here. Fantasy films tend not be overly successful, LOTR is very much an exception; and computer game films that succeed have been pretty much invariably been Horror based.
    Eh, define successful. I guess RE somehow managed to produce shitloads of god awful sequels. Not that they had anything in common with the games anyway.

Lastly. It needs more Sean Bean. And he needs to not die.
    But his death scenes are the best parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Sean Bean confirmed for scout who gets gravely injured. After reporting his findings to the Alliance and giving them a massive advantage, he dies to said injuries.
    Nah he's gonna sign up for the sequel playing Cairne Bloodhoof.

Actually now I want this to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Spoken like a true IGNORANT..

You miss NOTHING of the movie, by having subtitles.. If anything, you GAIN something, because if you miss something being said, you can read it on the text..
    if youre reading the words, youre not seeing the action on the screen

im really excited about travis fimmel. i loved him in vikings.