Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do all of the LcS Players/teams have to stream or is it just an option?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfyre27 View Post
    No they aren't salaried players, that's after LoL becomes a legitimate sport. They want LoL to become a legitimate sport which is fine. When they start paying those players real money to play and the players aren't being sponsored by another company, then they can tell the players what they can and can't stream because they are technically employees. Atm those players are making their money from their streams and from sponsors only, and the sponsors might not actually be paying them money but giving them equipment to use and giveaway.
    It says in the article they are salaried and sign a contract...

Now, however, these guys are professionals contracted to a professional sports league.
    So yeah, if they sign a contract then hey, they can tell those players what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I get it, but I still think it's wrong. As far as I'm concerned, what a pro plays when he's not competing shouldn't be anyone's business but his. I could agree with the move if they were streaming directly from the company's website or something, but they aren't. They're private streams, and have nothing to do with the tournaments and leagues.
    They are making money from those streams though. It'd be like a celebrity getting paid to drink coke in public, contracted... then also agreeing to drink pepsi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    They are making money from those streams though. It'd be like a celebrity getting paid to drink coke in public, contracted... then also agreeing to drink pepsi.
    It isn't. The money they make from streaming is the money they make from streaming, they aren't "contracted" in any way to play a particular game in their stream. Your comparison would only make sense if they were being paid directly by say, Blizzard, to play Hearthstone on stream. They aren't, as far as anyone is aware. They play Hearthstone because they like it and it keeps viewers somewhat engaged during queue times.

Well if you look at it from a business perspective... I work as a developer in a certain industry, in my contract it strictly stipulates that it is illegal for me to work on anything in my free time that could possibly seen as competition to the company I'm working for. It's kind of the same thing, those are the terms and conditions of the contract, sure you might not like it but they agreed to it for a salary. They have no right to complain. If they didn't read their contract then wow...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Do all of the LcS Players/teams have to stream or is it just an option?
    It's a side option and they get 100% of the revenue they make through streaming (ie. twitch advertising). The majority of LCS players don't stream that often - but there are a few regulars who can easily break 20,000 views, sometimes as high as 30,000-40,000 which brings in quite a large amount of side revenue for them (in addition to their salary from Riot Games, and their tournament winnings).

Just to spite Riot, if I was a pro player, I wouldn't stream LoL when they decide to play casually. That's just me though.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...eaming_policy/

Riot's reasoning behind the previous contract change, and the outline of the new contract they are going to enact.

Since Riot had not said anything about why they were doing this, and now that they have explained their reasons it make a lot more sense. While the first contract was a bit draconic, Riot still can do pretty much whatever they want with these though. It is nice to see that they do take some public opinion into consideration. I don't know how much of it is them trying to save face and how much is them listening to their supporters though.

I think it's very wrong to force them to stream ONLY LoL, they could designate certain times for LoL only, sure, but to prohibit anything that isn't LoL entirely? Very wrong. Nothing wrong with streamers trying to entertain an audience with more than the same game always.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...eaming_policy/

Riot's reasoning behind the previous contract change, and the outline of the new contract they are going to enact.

Since Riot had not said anything about why they were doing this, and now that they have explained their reasons it make a lot more sense. While the first contract was a bit draconic, Riot still can do pretty much whatever they want with these though. It is nice to see that they do take some public opinion into consideration. I don't know how much of it is them trying to save face and how much is them listening to their supporters though.
    The new contract is more than appropriate and understandable, I think it's a great change.