Deleted

A resto slackers guide to AFK healing LFR

After 4 damage dealer characters with cape I finally got a healer character on the legendary quest-line but I CBA with playing LFR. There is no challenge involved. My main spec is boomkin on this character but groups don't want me in Flex cause of my ilvl. With my resto off spec I can quickly get a queue for the legendary reagents but I want more. I want to play LFR for the reagents while not playing. I'm not talking about botting though.

So I decided to try an experiment: is it possible to do meaningful HPS while watching TV? And I am not talking about playing WoW while listening to TV on background, I am talking about the other way around ie. not watching what is happening in WoW in other words semi AFK. You're there when needed, but you're min-maxing the aspect of not watching what is going on.

The key component is going for int, WG haste cap, and stacking crit. Mastery is normally an amazing stat for resto. In this context it is completely useless since you won't keep Harmony up.

Next this macro will help

/cast [@player] Wild Growth

Make sure you're in range so you don't have to move. You can also just target yourself 24/7 but it will look weird. Targeting nobody also works.

Next use some kind of repeater which allows you to press the key all the time so the spell is used on cooldown, like AutoHotKey. Make sure the keybind for Wild Growth is near your keys used for movement. I don't recommend you do this as its technically against ToS. I do it though out of sheer love for my hands (my aunt has arthritis), and if I get banned for doing this I will give Blizzard the finger and go play an other game in other words not my loss.

For min-maxing purpose I could've made a audio WA for Tranquility CD and Mushroom uptime, and make use of BigWigs countdown timers for deadly "move away" shit. On Fallen Protectors I just move when GTFO makes certain noises.

Which brings addons list to: BigWigs, WeakAuras, GTFO.

Not once have I used Rejuvenation, Swiftmend, Lifebloom, Ironbark, Barkskin, Nourish, or any other important spells. Tanks, or anyone for that matter, received no direct healing.

On trash I am 80% AFK. I do make sure I am with the group. Again, never using any important spells like Rejuv. Never looking at my healer frame. All I do is WG on CD without looking if its necessary.

Remember your goal is to slack. You're slacking, TV is more important, and not only that you are getting away with this without doing low HPS (HPS is all which matters to the average player who has the right to vote you out). Why? Cause you're there for reagent, some random trinket, or some off piece or something.

My achievements thus far with 535 ilvl and a low spirit, heavy crit build (my boomkin gear), and an int/crit metagem (no legendary gem):

120k HPS on Norushen using Effloresence, Wild Growth on CD, and Tranquility on CD. I stood in the beam. When inside, I kept using WG on CD. Never moved, did dispel. I was near the other resto druid in HPS who had similar gear. He completely obliterated me on Immerseus though.
    90k HPS on Sha of Pride, right above the other resto druid with similar gear but he was playing WoW and I was watching TV 90% of the time. Had to move out of Swelling and Small Adds.
    42k HPS on Galakras. All other healers did similar HPS except for the supergeared healers. Didn't even run out of the mass death grip. Make sure you're not assigned in towers.

On Iron Juggernaut I went AFK at the first half of the fight to write this crap down. There are some spots where WG can reach others while the knockback doesn't do much to you.

On Dark Shamans nothing what I wrote works. People are spread out, they move out of Efflorescence (your goal is to pop Mushroom once and refresh it after 5 min for maximum slacking / TV uptime), there is RNG, mechanics target you, and there is a lot of movement. Although nothing really one-shots you this is a boss where you cannot go AFK. My HPS was abysmal. It was below the DK and monk tank.

Nazgrim, BigWigs makes a specific sound for War Song (your biggest AoE HPS snipe opportunity). We wiped first try because the Warshamen was tanked near the boss at the end, and not interrupted nor were his totems killed. Boss had 11M left before he started to heal to 90M. I could've intervened with HotW, Rejuvs, Typhoon and so on but I didn't want to meddle with my experiment. I was above the other resto druids but they were shit geared. On the kill HPS was similar as on wipe. A normal geared holy pala 64k with me 2nd at 35k (13,2%) with DK tank doing 9,5% healing so that must be removed from total.

After Nazgrim I concluded my experiment. My conclusion is the above works on at least 5 out of 8 bosses and it particulary works in the first wing (#2, #3, #4, #5, #8). It doesn't work well on Immerseus and Dark Shamans due to the mechanics of the fight. Iron Juggernaut I suppose could get away with only healing in P2. I'll do ToT later on. The other 2 wings don't drop reagents so I'll leave them be.

I could write a lot more about the episode of Boardwalk Empire which I watched on demand during all this but I'll keep it to myself.

Happy slacking!

*tear* beautiful

Or just drop your mushroom under the boss, go into cat form and enable autoattack. Works on any boss that's mostly stationary. If someone sees your character, you'll look like some random feral druid, and if someone checks your healing done you'll look kind of okay (or at least not exceptionally bad). Doesn't work on mobile fights like shamans or Thok, unfortunately. You can solve this problem by "accidentally" dying to random AoE early on during those fights. Blame your connection if anyone questions why you died to avoidable damage or why you didn't accept that rez.

This all assumes that the raid is doing fine without you, of course. Six healers who pay attention is way overkill for LFR, so you often wouldn't have anything to do anyway If the raid actually needs your healing, you'll be out of there much faster if you just pay attention for five minutes and kill the boss.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Would be funnier if it was a little more serious. Too obvious is too obvious.

That said, I've been forced to slack a couple times on my fresh 90 resto... Had a couple shammies chain healing the shite out of everything, and my hots were mostly overhealing, because nobody stayed low. Bloom and perma efflorescence pretty much did most of my effective numbers (and eventually unsniped WG ticks would add a bit). But hey, that just meant I could pay more attention to some Twitch.tv streams. :P
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

Deleted
    looking at this thread after coming from the "oh no we dont have tanks for lfr" kind of explains some stuff.

if you dont want to fucking raid, even the most faceroll mode, and jjust want to afk, gtfo from wow and go watch your tv, but dont be a baddie and slow down other people cus you cba.

Farming the 5th cape by beeing afk to do something useful like watching TV. GZ!

by going cat form and melee'ing we're actually making it go faster for others by doing more damage

at least make a proper counter argument next time, also it does about the intended lfr hps due to his strategy being a boomkin set, dropping spirit in favor or efflo and WG throughput and has less reliance on mastery management due to lower mastery and still doing 200%+ more than that 1 noob monk that does'nt know what to do other than use heal laser and EM that's in every lfr.

Deleted
    Normal Mode PuGs on my realm have the luxary to demand DPS have the legendary cape and overgear the content (545+ ilvl at end of week, 550+ ilvl at start). It being a high pop realm it is a simple matter of supply and demand. Heroic Mode PuGs, as far as they exist, want to overgear the content even more ie. 560+ ilvl. I CBA to grind Flex to do Normal on the same character while being sufficient geared for the next difficulty already, so those alts who have the cape are idle. Still, I'd like to do the Celestial Challenges for healing and tanking and my druid cape will allow this.

Never thought of cat form (have done Wrath/Moonfire spam in past out of sheer boredom). On one hand it makes you look not AFK and do something useful which is a desirable combination IMO also in harmony with my experiment's goal. Not sure how much DPS or total damage done it'd deliver, any indications? On the other hand you cannot do WG (shapeshifting regularly isn't viable for AFKing) or heals and people may see & complain a healer is meleeing. Then again they may also see you standing not casting during spike / big incoming damage, and anyone looking into healing done by spell will also bust me (no Rejuv healing). The purpose of my experiment was specifically to maximize my HPS while being (semi) AFK and Efflo + cat form melee might be adequate on some fights indeed. But the fights where there is a lot of movement it isn't viable and those are also the fights where WG spam alone isn't viable.

TV is just one activity which I persued yesterday, more of a reason to minimize the attention required on the game. I was expecting bad HPS but I was wrong, and quite surprised I was able to keep up with someone who was actually playing the same class and spec and playing the game. Of course the sample size is too small but doesn't this also describe how easy the first 2 wings of SoO are, how much a joke it becomes once you overgear it.

As for the "this is why tanks don't do LFR" if you only knew. On Fallen Protectors we had a Guardian who had 500 ilvl (which itself is enough for LFR) but nothing gemmed, nothing enchanted, and full healer gear. Yes, all intellect gear!! And he could not even keep aggro. So after we replaced him it was a oneshot. As far as I am aware no tanks died during the other fights I did except for Nazgrim and that was a wipe where the entire group was playing shit. Sure, I might've been able to spam Rejuv, toss in some Genesis, and save the day or save Tranq for there but I did not because it'd compromise my experiment. If I wasn't doing the experiment I'd have likely anticipated

I am curious if it'd be possible to keep Rejuv up 100% of the time on the current tank, automated or not (NOT with botting though). My idea would be a macro and WA. Getting the current tank within a macro can be done by targetting the target of the boss who you target before the fight starts and keep targeted for remainder of fight. Macro would look like /cast [@targetoftarget] Rejuvenation (@focus would be an alternative but usually there is tank swaps involved). This combined with a WeakAura sound which makes a small but noticeable noise when the current target does not have your Rejuvenation buff might work. Keybind the macro next to WG and voila. Better would be an automated macro which does WG on CD while also doing (near 100% uptime of) Rejuv on the current tank in 1 keybind but I don't think that would be possible.

During my runs today I made some macros see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    Would be funnier if it was a little more serious. Too obvious is too obvious.
    It is anecdotal and I'm being serious and just sharing my findings of my experiment. I do understand your skepticism though. And yet I don't it see much different with trying to make the best out of a situation where you min max and try to get the most output.

That said, I've been forced to slack a couple times on my fresh 90 resto... Had a couple shammies chain healing the shite out of everything, and my hots were mostly overhealing, because nobody stayed low. Bloom and perma efflorescence pretty much did most of my effective numbers (and eventually unsniped WG ticks would add a bit). But hey, that just meant I could pay more attention to some Twitch.tv streams. :P
    Healing anything as non-Disc in LFR in patch 5.0 after Disc got buffed. All you do is overhealing. I laugh my ass off every time I see overhealing done in LFR in general but its even more sad if you get called on not healing while there is just... nothing to heal. You might get called out after a wipe where people get one shot by certain mechanics. If its a smooth run nobody will bother.

Let me tell you where I am coming from: I main a shadow priest in a 25 heroic raiding guild and I actually enjoy the "healing while doing damage" metagame (and vice versa as healer). Druid has some of this component as well due to its hybrid nature, T6 being the most prominent one.

On my alts who can heal my metagame in LFR as a healer is doing something useful with my time be it doing damage, utility, healing, or AFK doing something IRL. Usually, 6 healers is overkill especially right after reset. Never did I attempt to increase my AFK uptime like I did today, without dying, and with trying to max my HPS as well. Of course I have intentionally died in the past, being or doing DPS, HS + flightpath during fight to kill Oondasta, DC/relogged to alt to play the AH and then log back before the fight ends, among other nefarious things. Just staring at my healer frame trying to get highest HPS by sniping and timing my CDs when others don't/can't gets boring very soon, and it has IMO very little to do with skilled healing.

Stat prio (not sure on the weights):

Int > sp > haste (6652 or 3043) > spi (currently 8,5k; too much; 6-7k?) > crit. All other haste, spi, and mastery would be useless. 12458/13157 haste caps are not achievable by alts with these gear levels. I have 2set from ToT which affects Efflo (not sure?), 4set from SoO would be great for this purpose as well during high damage. I don't have LMG but if even if I did the int/crit metagame is better for this purpose unless the LMG would allow me to ditch even more spirit but with boomkin gear/reforges and with reforing the spirit away I end up with 8,5k for now. I'd have to regem, but no way I could reach < 7k w/that.

The HPS in ToT doesn't interest me too much due to massively outgearing it. If there are more healers who outgear it, its easy to snipe and overheal. Still, it is relevant because of reagent drops. The queue for SoO #3 popped earlier though.

Malkorok: surpringly works since the mechanics don't one shot. Achieved 120k HPS with 3 other resto druids but none had similar gear as mine so I cannot compare. Stood between melee and ranged. Tranq on CD. After first Tranq, Efflo in middle. Then AFK/WG macro. 40% of healing was Efflo, 26% WG, 13% Tranq, rest was Ysera/Cleave/Multistrike (my trinkets are Nazgrim 2/2 LFR + Thok 2/2 LFR).

Spoils: I switched to Force of Nature, and adapted my macro to include it (FoN is off GCD). The macro went through some iterations throughout the next runs. Enrage on Spoils is no issue unless you get a group full of ilvl 500 who cannot play their class, so if the pulls are too big it isn't my fault. GTFO warns about standing in amber. Set To Blow with 4 stacks gets me down to 50% of my health. Put Efflo in the middle of the room.

Thok: It is obviously not a fight where this tactic would work so I decided to put the best healer on /follow. The /follow broke when I got stunned which happened various times at start of a phase due to unclear positioning, but WoW did give feedback about this. I died when this healer had to kite. Until this happened I was slightly above an other resto druid with 5 less ilvl (tho that healer had only a 502 staff).

All this makes me wonder if it is possible to make WA for blind people. For example, if your tank is on a certain %, you use a certain keybind sequence to heal them up.

My macros are currently as following

/targetenemy
    /tar boss1
    /tar boss2
    /cast Nature's Vigil
    /cast [@targettarget] Force Of Nature
    /cast [@player] Wild Growth

/cast Barkskin
    /tar boss1
    /tar boss2
    /cast [@targettarget] Rejuvenation

The first macro will try to cast FoN on the tank, and WG on CD.

The second macro can be weaved in to be used every ~12 sec with AHK but this kind of stuff I don't want to do that since I consider it botting. I added Barkskin to reduce amount of keybinds.

Next up was ToT #4. HPS-wise I can't say much about it because I was experimenting with some macros and more /follow experiments. /follow will cancel a Tranq, and /follow gets cancelled when stunned. On Lei Shen, /follow worked alright on the tank. They don't get vengeance from standing in crap anymore so that is a plus. I was able to be right behind the other druids. In P3, /follow on tank allowed me to not having to move until the tank died. My Rejuv macro would be great on Lei Shen P3.

Next was ToT #3. It'd be too easy to just go AFK and then claim the death beam killed me. I decided to AFK/WG between ranged and melees and wait till GTFO made a shit sound. Then I move to the right place, did the maze, saw only 2 dying (omg good group) and then went AFK again. Soon after boss was dead. The DPS was that high. Primordius I decided to stand in the middle of the room, not kiting. The tanks stacked there as well, till 50%. I received 8 debuffs from 1 purple cloud at around 15%. Again, DPS was high. Dark Animus, I followed the tank. When Dark Animus was up I put Efflo under him. GTFO made some shit sounds sometimes but I just ignored it pushing the limits. Didn't die. Don't remember HPS.

ToT #2 was next. Something amazing happened, I got queued as DPS. I enjoy doing DPS in LFR because there is always the need to perform, so it isn't boring, but I CBA with wait times. I had to make the decision to either go boomkin or be the 7th healer. Outcome would always be below desired result. I was curious if anyone would complain (answer: nope) and how my HPS would look with 7 healers so sticked with that. On Tortos I was #2, #1 was a resto druid with 10 more ilvl (20% vs 14% of all healing). His Tranq and Rejuv were stronger, but his Efflo was weaker (mine was only under Tortos tank, who stood alone). I stacked on the tank as well to minimize knock-ups but my first and only Tranq did get interrupted half way. On Magaera I did 40k (w/o using Tranq) and he did 60k but indeed that was still as much as the monk healers together. I made sure to follow the other resto druid (the top healer) and put my Efflo on 2nd head after which I AFK/WG. On Ji Kun I followed the tank and did not have to interfere with first downdraft due to roar + his gap closer. On second I fell down, but boss was at 10% health. I used Tranq on first Quils and BigWigs makes a loud sound when that happens. I ended up #1 healer with 47k.

On ToT #1 I joined on Horridon. Efflo slacking won't work here due to heavy movement. I decided to stand in the middle of the room to not do any fucked up charges (on door #3 I got a charge). Double Swipe does nothing (2x15% of health gone) despite being classified as deadly in the dungeon journal. HPS was a joke, but it was a joke from all healers except atonement priest and boss died at door #3. At this point I also ditched HotW (which I normally often use on pull) with Nature's Vigil and macroed it and so started Council. Stacked on tank, ofc got first Frostbite. 422% overhealing... Jin Rokh I stood in middle with Efflo and got 2 ball lightning on me but I ignored it and just kept using the macro. Don't have much to say about Jin Rokh.

I'll keep SoO #4 for another time as the grande finale. Perhaps after I made some WAs to interact with the second macro.

Another tip: don't run around with a transmog set or cool title. You want to look like a noob. Noobs don't have either. Also make sure you are not leader of the group, and never talk in /ra unless someone asks if you are AFK (make your WoW make a sound when your name is mentioned).

I'll likely try this experiment on my other hybrids as well but i dont see them working doing good HPS with basically only 2 spells (Efflo & WG). Atonement priest with smite perhaps, but my main needs nothing from LFR and outgears it by 70+ ilvl. Perhaps a Flex run would be interesting experiment.

It sounds like you really dont enjoy this game at all, considering one of your crowning achievements is how to get through LFR without having to play the game. Did you at any point stop and think "Well shit. I can apply myself and exceed in order to make this LFR more pleasant to the heaps of other people who dislike it just as much as me, and are also stuck here for legendary quest items" No? Well fair enough. We are not all thinkers.

LFR is unfortunate. Most players in LFR does not really play this game. However, you'll pretty much always find a handful of good players who are on their alts. This handful of excellent players are in a vast amount of LFRs the reason that things work out in the end. So when you do que for an LFR; you either /follow and increase the amount of "headless chickens"; or you can step up your game and help people by being constructive and doing your role.

Also would you be so kind as to go play a disc instead? Your process is somewhat simplified and you dont have to make us look bad while doing it.

/targetenemy [noharm]
    /cast Holy Fire
    /cast Penance
    /cast Smite

above 530 you'll be doing decent dps and hps at no cost.
    ^ I agree with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzl View Post
    It sounds like you really dont enjoy this game at all
    Its called grinding. Grinding is a mindless effort, akin to staring at a white wall for various hours in a row. We have to make monotonous work as fun as possible. That is why we invent metagames, why we listen to music during easy raiding, why we combine easy raiding with other activities. I very much enjoyed my experiment

considering one of your crowning achievements is how to get through LFR without having to play the game.
    I would not call my experiment my crowning achievement, I call it an interesting experiment. Crowning achievement are your words, not mine.

Did you at any point stop and think "Well shit. I can apply myself and exceed in order to make this LFR more pleasant to the heaps of other people who dislike it just as much as me, and are also stuck here for legendary quest items" No? Well fair enough. We are not all thinkers.
    I don't care about the feelings of any random person I will never meet again. All I care for is succeeding in the goal to finish the instance which means I share the common goal of the group. As I -and others- have stated you don't need 6 overgeared, active healers in LFR. In the future, if I were to do the same I would step up the healing if it was required but for the purpose of my experiment I had to resist such temptations within the limits of the goal (semi AFKing). Guess what, it almost never is required to have 6 active healers except on tuesday (EU) where you get all kind of undergeared shitters & fresh alts.

LFR is unfortunate. Most players in LFR does not really play this game. However, you'll pretty much always find a handful of good players who are on their alts. This handful of excellent players are in a vast amount of LFRs the reason that things work out in the end. So when you do que for an LFR; you either /follow and increase the amount of "headless chickens"; or you can step up your game and help people by being constructive and doing your role.
    If you read through my posts you'd see the HPS is quite high, sometimes comparable to players who do play the game. Part of the experiment was figuring out the strengths and weaknesses and how to overcome them.

I don't see the need being constructive to players who I never meet again. If I want to raid leader carrying people I would form my own PuG but I have done that enough that I CBA anymore. Its better to kick the real baddies (= about tanks usually since damage dealers can easily get carried) instead. If the replacement is mediocre we get the job done.

Also would you be so kind as to go play a disc instead? Your process is somewhat simplified and you dont have to make us look bad while doing it.
    I don't care if I make you (?) look bad. People who I convince by my play that you (?) are bad are morons.

/targetenemy [noharm]
    /cast Holy Fire
    /cast Penance
    /cast Smite
    First of all your macro does not work because of GCD. Second, I have better macros for Discipline available (advanced mouseover macros which work on any player, to be precise). Third, if I were to need gear from LFR I would play my main without second thought even tho I barely need to use my healing spec. I have 573-576 ilvl without upgrades available from LFR so it makes no sense to play my main in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    /targetenemy [noharm]
    /cast Holy Fire
    /cast Penance
    /cast Smite
    First of all your macro does not work because of GCD. Second, I have better macros for Discipline available (advanced mouseover macros which work on any player, to be precise). Third, if I were to need gear from LFR I would play my main without second thought even tho I barely need to use my healing spec. I have 573-576 ilvl without upgrades available from LFR so it makes no sense to play my main in LFR.
    Quite sure it would work
    If holy fire is ready, it will cast holy fire.
    If holy fire is not ready, but penance is, it will cast penance.
    If neither is ready, it will cast smite.
    Or will gcd stop you even if spells are on cooldown?
    If it will, just set up a cast-sequence macro for your haste level
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Quite sure it would work
    it's not the GCD that will stop you. the last time macros like this worked was in 3.0.8. they were fixed in 3.1 when they made these spam the first spell even if it was unavailable (i.e. on CD or not even castable due to constraints). both this and castrandom were fixed.

You also don't need to do the quest as a healer if you want the healer cape. you can choose whichever you want. just go feral and autoattack. the only benefit of doing this as a healer is that you get faster queues, and if you wipe a few times you lose that as well.

or you could just, I don't know, DO YOUR JOB! people will notice that you are slacking. it's easy to see a ton of DPs die on the boss and link it to that resto druid who is basically botting.

Deleted
    Quite sure it would work
    Castsequence works, but not with target switching. That is why I do it manual when I play atonement. The difference between 1 or 2-3 keybinds doesn't bother me on that level.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    it's not the GCD that will stop you. the last time macros like this worked was in 3.0.8. they were fixed in 3.1 when they made these spam the first spell even if it was unavailable (i.e. on CD or not even castable due to constraints). both this and castrandom were fixed.
    Only stuff off the GCD will still work which is why I mentioned GCD. NV & FoN & Barkskin are off the GCD which is why they work in these macros. NV's bonus will be up for 33% of the time.

You also don't need to do the quest as a healer if you want the healer cape. you can choose whichever you want. just go feral and autoattack. the only benefit of doing this as a healer is that you get faster queues
    Queue is quicker.

and if you wipe a few times you lose that as well.
    The likelyhood with me as healer + wiping is similar as with me as DPS. Except as DPS I cannot AFK while as healer I can. As healer, I don't mind going AFK as long as we kill the boss. As DPS I like to perform, challenge myself, perfect my output. As healer this isn't possible in LFR because of snipe healing, overgearing, and faceroll content.

Plus, the conundrum is that wiping isn't really costing me time since I am doing other activities as well.

or you could just, I don't know, DO YOUR JOB! people will notice that you are slacking.
    They don't do anything about it. If anything, the only ones who get flak is tanks. There are a few exceptions on say tunneling Nazgrim (nothing to do with healers) or tower team Galakras (usually tank being a dumbass).

it's easy to see a ton of DPs die on the boss and link it to that resto druid who is basically botting.
    When people get one shot in LFR it is almost always their own fault. You really need to screw stuff up for that to happen. Even Norushen beam does not one shot you you need to literally dance with in it in sync with the movement. If players do not get one shot, AoE / cleave will heal them up. As my experiment shows you don't need to be a rocket scientist to heal that up (4 stacks of bomb on Spoils got me 50% down but I was topped in 2-3 sec later). An average bot would do similar HPS to a real player. That is the level of LFR when overgearing the content (= almost always).

Quite sure it would work
    You can make a cast sequence though with wait time implied.. i.e. 2s cast filler and 6s cd burst would be 'burst filler filler filler' then reset and continue.
    HF is 10s and penance is 9s (could be wrong, grabbed values from wowhead) so if you had a 1.5s smite you could do like.. holy fire, penance, smite,smite,smite,smite,smite,smite.. and just lazily spam that cast sequence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boomkinhero View Post
    You can make a cast sequence though with wait time implied.. i.e. 2s cast filler and 6s cd burst would be 'burst filler filler filler' then reset and continue.
    HF is 10s and penance is 9s (could be wrong, grabbed values from wowhead) so if you had a 1.5s smite you could do like.. holy fire, penance, smite,smite,smite,smite,smite,smite.. and just lazily spam that cast sequence.
    if you're going atonement as a priest, you should use penance before HF, especially with the 20% smite glyph, because A) penance is higher DPs and HPs than anything else, and B) you want to maximize the amount of smites you can fit in that HP.

If the goal is to semi-AFK with Atonement as a discipline priest, why even bother with anything other than smite? Just mash the smite key. You'll do okay enough HPS to pull your weight, and no one will care to check your spell breakdown anyway since you're a healer. You won't win on any healing charts, but you probably won't be last either.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Heres a freebie, I was able to rustle some jimmies from a friend and this is what hes using.

/targetenemy [noharm]
    /castsequence [nochanneling:Penance] Penance, Smite, Smite, Smite, Power Word: Solace(Talent), Smite, Smite
    Sup optimal in terms of min/max because it will overdo smite and you'll sometimes have penance off CD for a good couple of seconds and not use it, but completely functional and potentially a great addition to lolalola's guide to LFR-mediocrity.
    ^ I agree with this.

Deleted
    You are all correct about Atonement Priest, and castsequence works as long as you don't target switch which will happen on certain bosses with adds or multiple bosses like a council-type of fight. Targetenemy and with or without target boss1 or boss2 it will always cause sub-optimal whereas with mouseover targettarget you rely on others targeting the right add. This has the advantage of not having to leave your healer frame while weaving atonement in your regular heals. Your macros are more than adequate for LFR though. You can add Mindbender/Shadowfiend to your macro since with Glyph of Sha it is off the GCD but you gotta run with that glyph.

Thing is I am already aware /cast Smite alone does good HPS on low damage phases. Atonement priest is one of the reasons why healing in LFR is so boring, and I have quite some complaints about Discipline versus Holy priest healing in terms of general difficulty, flexibility (Chakra), off DPS, absorb healing snipe, and so on.

My guide is specifically for Restoration Druid for now which is why I posted it in Druid forums and like I said I am surprised about the high HPS although I admit it doesn't work on every fight. In that sense, my experiment is news (at least to me). I'll surely look into other classes later on. Holy Paladin and Restoration Shaman are next. I have severe doubts I will reach any meaningful HPS (or DPS) on these, but we shall see. Mistweaver Monk is last on the hybrid-with-healer-spec list. Might try damage dealers as well, but like I said I like doing damage because there is always an improvement to make in the fights.
    Last edited by mmoc41a7fbf474; 2013-12-07 at 09:36 AM.