Deleted

Decided to level a whole new char.... first thoughts.

So, after having a char with relic on WHM/BLM/BRD and up to turn 5 cleared (not even attempted 5 properly yet), with the new patch out soon and the added content for gearing i decided to level a second char as a GLD/PLD and later hopefully either a MNK or DRG.

My first thoughts are, the levelling experience isn't anywhere near as grindy as i thought it would be a second time through. My 1st char i read pretty much all quest text, this time round i'm pretty much trying to power level through so skipping all text and CS. At the moment in time, i'm enjoying it quite a lot.

My gripes though, come from the other players i've experienced (though not all have been too bad). I've found that in EVERY single dungeon i've tanked so far (around 6-7) only 1 person has used LB when i asked and that 1 time was before Sastasha last boss and we'd been talking about the Limit break bar and i'd asked if they all had the LB button on their hotbars.

This means the other 6 times, noone seemed to have a clue the LB button existed. (In my old FC i has someone reach level 49 before they knew LB was even in game?!) I personally think their should be a more emphasised tutorial on the LB and even have the LB button placed on hotbars from level 1 just like sprint is so people actually know its there.

My 2nd gripe is people not taking advice. Had an arcanist spamming ruin on mobs and the occasional dot. I said to them 'if you put dots on the mob then cast ruin you will do more damage than using just ruin alone', this was met with 'stfu dude i'm level 30 i know what im doing'. Sigh. (This was the exact same person i asked later on to use LB on the last boss and didn't)

Had a healer constantly spamming cure if my HP dropped to say 99% and his agro was staying very high. (As i main a WHM) i asked, 'let my hp drop a little bit lower than where you are as the heals aren't really needed that much and your agro is creeping up quite fast', this was met with 'its only a low level dungeon so it doesn't matter, i have a tank too so i know what to do'.

Sigh, I will admit, the 1st dungeon i tanked with 3 fresh players and all asking me questions about LB etc it was nice to know i was helping and they were excited by the prospect of using/seeing it later on, but i've had more run-ins with people not really caring and being douchebags that its taken the shine away of helping new people (like a healer in a guildhest /sit while the rest of us tried to kill the mobs)

Anybody else experienced this sort of thing levelling up, or have anything to discuss on new player experiences?

10+ Year Old Account
    Randoms are bad, news at 11.

If you want to power-level.. Zombie Fate is the way to go not dungeon. I only dungeon with Healer/Tank roles if you are complaining at lower level, wait till you meet he people called "Fate-ards" who completely doesn't know how to play his class. This phenomenon is very obvious not in Amdapor Keep, nor Wanderers Palace. But at Aurum Vale.

Oh and... Do clear Turn 5.. It isn't all that hard. I suppose basic Heroic Mode Experience WoW Players are capable of clearing it.
    Last edited by SnorlaxJeng; 2013-12-05 at 06:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxJeng View Post
    If you want to power-level.. Zombie Fate is the way to go not dungeon. I only dungeon with Healer/Tank roles if you are complaining at lower level, wait till you meet he people called "Fate-ards" who completely doesn't know how to play his class. This phenomenon is very obvious not in Amdapor Keep, nor Wanderers Palace. But at Aurum Vale.
    Well i run the dungeons for the story progression and the quick bonus exp for 1st time clears. But yeah, i'm not looking forward to the later levels where people just fated ALL the way.

Still can't get myself motivated to get my Arcanist to lvl 34 to unlock Eye for an Eye on my WHM Alt... Fates are super boring, I need to put either Silly Anime Songs or Techno while doing it. That aside Dungeons are good exp when you are the same level as the mob even more so come 2.1. I'd say FF14 dungeons difficulty scale is too steep for a newbie to cope.

Sastasha - Tank will barely know how to hold threat.
    Tamtara - Special positional requirements on boss
    Coppermine - Patrols
    Halatali - Heavy hitting mobs
    Toto-rak - Poison, Heavy Healing, Silence
    Haukke - Interrupt and Facing Cast Cancel
    Brayflox - Very Hard Hitting mobs, positional awareness
    Qarn - Coordination, debuff alertness
    Cutter Cry - Cast bar awareness, no red indicator awareness
    Stone Vigil - UnCC-able mobs, optimal usage of CD, Extremely hard hitting mobs.
    Dzemael - Special mechanics, quick reaction test
    Aurum Vale - All of the above combined.

There is rarely any breathing room for newbies, especially so for those who run the dungeon once only. They wouldn't be ready for the next one. That is why you'd get a lot of fail low level dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and... Do clear Turn 5.. It isn't all that hard. I suppose basic Heroic Mode Experience WoW Players are capable of clearing it.
    Any tips? Our group cleared T4 like a few weeks ago, unfortunately with healer in hospital (the irony), me in my exam period, then we have the holiday season coming up, I don't see us clearing T5 until after at least new year lol.

That being said, any tips? We only did a few "test run" on it so far without any strategy, just go in and see the fight. We tried to have 1 tank on Twin and 1 tank on the 3 adds but people dying left and right before the adds were even down.

Set up: (I also listed other classes that is raid geared for that person if changing set up is suggested)
    PLD (can also be WAR)
    PLD (also have a DRG)
    WHM
    SCH (can also be WHM)
    MNK (can also be WHM)
    BLM
    BLM me (can also be BRD SMN)
    BRD

- - - Updated - - -

Still can't get myself motivated to get my Arcanist to lvl 34 to unlock Eye for an Eye on my WHM Alt... Fates are super boring, I need to put either Silly Anime Songs or Techno while doing it. That aside Dungeons are good exp when you are the same level as the mob even more so come 2.1. I'd say FF14 dungeons difficulty scale is too steep for a newbie to cope.
    I like the difficulty in FFXIV dungeons. I hated the WoW used to be hard dungeons, then people QQ suddenly all become mindless AoE fest. I actually liked the BC and early Cata dungeons.

I was lucky, as I play BLM, lower level dungeons I can actually keep myself in Umbral Ice and actually heal like a healer (except with infinite mana). But yeah one thing I do hate, especially in Haukke Manor, instead of LoS the Void casts, tank generally just stand still take the hit and expect to be healed up, in the end the tank left, we 3 manned it (BLM BLM WHM) with my BLM friend (who is our Coil main tank) just tanked it lol. (point: if a BLM can tank Manor, no matter how bad a tank you are, should NOT have issue with it)

The mechanics isn't too steep, just people need to actually learn (LoS a void cast isn't a hard concept), instead of "I am only level 30 I don't need to learnt hose yet".

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    The mechanics isn't too steep, just people need to actually learn (LoS a void cast isn't a hard concept), instead of "I am only level 30 I don't need to learnt hose yet".
    As someone who sat there and ate all the spells while tanking in Haukke... coming from WoW, the fact that you can LoS a boss's targetted abilities by running behind them was totally unexpected. I mean, yeah, once you know it's possible then it's easy enough to do, but I don't think it's something obvious that you can expect lowbie tanks to know about.

It's pretty easy to notice "oh, there was a big red thing on the ground, and then it went away and I took a bunch of damage, maybe I shouldn't stand in that". But what this also teaches you is "if there isn't a red thing then I'm okay to stand wherever I am". And generally in PvE it's important for the tank to basically stand still and keep the boss pointing a certain direction, both to keep cone attacks pointed away from the group and to not mess up your melee's position-based abilities. There isn't really an in-game mechanism to teach you that you can LoS casts that way, and because generally you want to stand still, it's unlikely that you'd find out on accident.

I mean, sure, if you actually tell your tank about it and they keep getting hit, then fine, they don't want to learn and are bad. But without that information I'd guess most tanks would just think "wow this boss hits pretty hard, I hope the healer can keep up".

Limit break bar?

WTF is that? sounds like a fighting game combo move, I've been playing WoW for 8 years and I sure as HELL have never heard, read nor seen such a thing. Not to forget I am a pvp'er and a raider, I've been in countless betas and ptrs.

So, Limit break bar /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconslicer View Post
    I mean, sure, if you actually tell your tank about it and they keep getting hit, then fine, they don't want to learn and are bad. But without that information I'd guess most tanks would just think "wow this boss hits pretty hard, I hope the healer can keep up".
    I have told that tank in Haukke Manor, he still got hit.

I have told countless tanks in AK, some still got hit....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Derajal View Post
    Limit break bar?

WTF is that? sounds like a fighting game combo move, I've been playing WoW for 8 years and I sure as HELL have never heard, read nor seen such a thing. Not to forget I am a pvp'er and a raider, I've been in countless betas and ptrs.

So, Limit break bar /shrug
    This is a FF game, pretty much every FF has a Limit Break equivalent.

For Turn 5. You need the following requirement.

Tanks Paladin at 6.4k HP, Warrior at 7.85k HP
    DPS/Heals at 4.4k HP for 3 target Fireball, 4.2k HP for 4 target Fireball
    Recommended Comp : Paladin, Paladin, 1 Melee DPS (MNK Preferred), 2 Spell DPS (BLM + SMN), 1 BRD, SCH + WHM

Phase one kill all the scourge,
    Put your Garuda egi and Fairy at Twintania's ass. Have OT be on 2nd threat and stay on the fairies if you are doing 4 Target Fireball share method.
    Slow your DPS till Limit Break bar is at 80% (This is to enable Meteor in Phase 3)
    Once Phase 2 comes, person who gets targeted for Fireball runs to the Fairy + Egi. Tank moves Twintania to the dance spot, re-position your pets behind Twintania again.
    For every Odd Conflagration is the one that will be triggered quickly so if possible DPS it down quick. Whomsoever gets Fireball targeted when someone is in a Conflagration, run into the Conflagration.
    Things to note for Phase 2-3 transition, it occurs around 55% of Twintania HP, make sure you are not close to the next Conflagration time, wait it out if you have to.

Once Phase 3 comes, do the dance 3 times MT take the big snake OT Flash the small snakes do 1 enmity combo on each small snake and start kiting them on the other end of the room. Jump Shield Lob helps you get some threat and damage in. Prepare for the next set of Dive Bomb Dance once the dance ends the OT will pull 2 snakes from the other end to the middle of the room where the Scholar drops his Sacred Soil, Meteor is to be casted on the Sacred Soil while tanks pull mobs on the Sacred Soil.

After all snakes are down, MT occupies one Neurolink whilst others hide inside the other link, Twintania will immediately plunge cleave the MT upon finish casting. Move the big snake to a good position for the transition from Phase 3 to 4 so people can get into the link in time. When Phase 4 starts /focustarget on Twintania, right off the bat about 5 seconds in she will cast Twister, move around an area not covered by someone or yourself during that duration to avoid getting hit by it. Do note it has a residual timer of 2 seconds or so, therefore please don't run into the green swirly thingy. Next he will summon a Dreadknight which will take 2 seconds to lock on a target and stun him, it is imperative that no one stay near it's spawn spot (Spawn spot is the facing indicator of Twintania target circle before pull). The Dreadknight can be slowed and stunned but not binded, casting Miasma should buy you enough time with Paladin stuns to handle it.

Things to note on phase 4 is that for every Odd Numbered Dreadknight will be followed by a Twister midway so do be careful. Final phase occurs the OT just walks into the Neurolink that Twintania drops while the MT remains where he tanks. Should OT get Liquid Hell he is to use CD he see fit, Twintania will use Liquid Flame on a random target consecutively for 5 times, so just run but make sure you don't cut out people by placing them all in bad spots or running into someone.

There you have it pretty much all there is to Twintania.

Deleted
    For Turn 5. You need the following requirement.

Tanks Paladin at 6.4k HP, Warrior at 7.85k HP
    DPS/Heals at 4.4k HP for 3 target Fireball, 4.2k HP for 4 target Fireball
    Recommended Comp : Paladin, Paladin, 1 Melee DPS (MNK Preferred), 2 Spell DPS (BLM + SMN), 1 BRD, SCH + WHM

Phase one kill all the scourge,
    Put your Garuda egi and Fairy at Twintania's ass. Have OT be on 2nd threat and stay on the fairies if you are doing 4 Target Fireball share method.
    Slow your DPS till Limit Break bar is at 80% (This is to enable Meteor in Phase 3)
    Once Phase 2 comes, person who gets targeted for Fireball runs to the Fairy + Egi. Tank moves Twintania to the dance spot, re-position your pets behind Twintania again.
    For every Odd Conflagration is the one that will be triggered quickly so if possible DPS it down quick. Whomsoever gets Fireball targeted when someone is in a Conflagration, run into the Conflagration.
    Things to note for Phase 2-3 transition, it occurs around 55% of Twintania HP, make sure you are not close to the next Conflagration time, wait it out if you have to.

Once Phase 3 comes, do the dance 3 times MT take the big snake OT Flash the small snakes do 1 enmity combo on each small snake and start kiting them on the other end of the room. Jump Shield Lob helps you get some threat and damage in. Prepare for the next set of Dive Bomb Dance once the dance ends the OT will pull 2 snakes from the other end to the middle of the room where the Scholar drops his Sacred Soil, Meteor is to be casted on the Sacred Soil while tanks pull mobs on the Sacred Soil.

After all snakes are down, MT occupies one Neurolink whilst others hide inside the other link, Twintania will immediately plunge cleave the MT upon finish casting. Move the big snake to a good position for the transition from Phase 3 to 4 so people can get into the link in time. When Phase 4 starts /focustarget on Twintania, right off the bat about 5 seconds in she will cast Twister, move around an area not covered by someone or yourself during that duration to avoid getting hit by it. Do note it has a residual timer of 2 seconds or so, therefore please don't run into the green swirly thingy. Next he will summon a Dreadknight which will take 2 seconds to lock on a target and stun him, it is imperative that no one stay near it's spawn spot (Spawn spot is the facing indicator of Twintania target circle before pull). The Dreadknight can be slowed and stunned but not binded, casting Miasma should buy you enough time with Paladin stuns to handle it.

Things to note on phase 4 is that for every Odd Numbered Dreadknight will be followed by a Twister midway so do be careful. Final phase occurs the OT just walks into the Neurolink that Twintania drops while the MT remains where he tanks. Should OT get Liquid Hell he is to use CD he see fit, Twintania will use Liquid Flame on a random target consecutively for 5 times, so just run but make sure you don't cut out people by placing them all in bad spots or running into someone.

There you have it pretty much all there is to Twintania.
    Cheers for the info. I will look into attempting twintania shortly, however we're still making sure all our casters have 4.2khp(unbuffed??) required for it before we attempt it. As a WHM and only seeing 2 pieces of healing gear drop at all (ears and belt) i'm slightly low on the HP side still.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    Cheers for the info. I will look into attempting twintania shortly, however we're still making sure all our casters have 4.2khp(unbuffed??) required for it before we attempt it. As a WHM and only seeing 2 pieces of healing gear drop at all (ears and belt) i'm slightly low on the HP side still.
    Crafted jewelry. I have a full set and am at 4.6k unbuffed.

Snorlax, we use a similar strat, but I didn't think building meter was that important for snakes, nor banking the adds until they all spawn. Def worth doing. Thanks for the insight. It somehow makes more sense than Bluegarter's coloring book.
    Last edited by Lyese; 2013-12-07 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am leveling up a PUG/MNK and I love it. I breeze through quests / FATEs / leves, so I don't even bother with dungeons. I did a couple, but they're so dull (and full of bads) that I just stopped caring about them.

I had a great time leveling another tank char, and took the time to ask if people knew how to use LB, and teach them.
    "Press "P" drag the Limit Break button to your hotbar, etc, etc"

I ran a shit ton of dungeons (Instant queue bitches!), and only ran into trouble 3 times I believe.
    (lvl 35 dungeon, Quarn, the healer refused to heal, and kept dpsing. I rage quit, first time)

As a healer and dps I was shacking in my boots hoping the tank knew how to tank more than one mob.
    Most of the time they didnt, and would ignore suggestions/pleas.
    Then I stopped getting queued with crappy tanks for some reason.
    Your you're own enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    Had a healer constantly spamming cure if my HP dropped to say 99% and his agro was staying very high. (As i main a WHM) i asked, 'let my hp drop a little bit lower than where you are as the heals aren't really needed that much and your agro is creeping up quite fast', this was met with 'its only a low level dungeon so it doesn't matter, i have a tank too so i know what to do'.
    I feel you here...From one point I really like it is so I can clearly see who is good and know how to play...from this details. Not to mention about "regen" ability and how many times I aksed from people not to pre-hot me while going to pull mobs...And I really don't have a problem with that and I always politely ask them to do or not do x thing and I always get the same answer "I know what I am doing, stfu".
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

I rerolled a fresh 2nd character as well and am going through the leveling process. Dungeons are not really that terrible, with the duty roulette you end up usually getting people who know whats going on. The commendation system is amazing though, even if it causes people to be "fake" about being nice it is a system that promotes good behavior towards other people.