Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Because I clicked RACE > HUMAN, CLASS > GEEK and clicked PLAY! I'm currently lvl 28
    aa i clicked race>human>class>dumbo kid and PLAY!Now i am lvl 15

- - - Updated - - -

btw this game is slow slow to level...takes a year to take a level man

Quote Originally Posted by Flipswix View Post
    Hi!

I've got a question, a fairly basic question in essence if you think of it, but one I simply can't find an answer to.
    Before we were born, practically we didn't exist, our awareness as we know it wasnt there.., we didn't seem to be existent. But all of a sudden we're born into something, for me that is a lvl 20 human Dutch guy. I could aswell have been born into the body you're currently in.. How come my awareness and me as my person are in the body I am in, how is that determined?
    Since in my point of view, before we were alive we appearantly were just nothing either.. It could aswell be that after we die and (I believe) just turn into nothing, back to dust.., who knows we can just be born out of nothing again.. Like reïncarnation but without your soul (which I believe is just your awareness created by the processes in the body) being 'transferred'.

In my opinion there should have been some kind of studies or something on this, something that can explain why we are suddenly aware as a humanm in the body we are in. It's a total mindfuck to me.

To sum up:
    How come we are bound/aware in the body we are in?
    Since so far as I know there doesnt seem to be an explaination as to how I became the 'controller' of this body out of nothing.. Why would you rule out the theory of turning into something out of nothing again after you die?

I'm not a religious person but I do have my own views on certain things that I can't explain. For example as to what happens after you die. While most logical to me it is a little weird to me that within this whole universe I have gotten to be aware and alive for approx 100 years in a random body within a process that's been going on for millions of years.

My view here is not that my current 'soul' would transfer to another body, my view is that I could after I die just be controlling a new body and 'soul' randomly.

What are your views on this subject?

Edit: Since some seem to be understanding me wrongfully;
    My view here is not that my current 'soul' would transfer to another body, my view is that I could after I die just be controlling a new body and 'soul' randomly.
    Well it all boils down to the Body dealership. See prior to getting the body you have you spend an inordinate amount of time earning the cash to buy a body. You go to the dealership and peruse the various models. Depending on your income and how the salesman swindles you you end up with the body you have. As you know you can definitely get a lemon or just fail to maintain it. Unfortunately you cannot bring your body into the dealership for service as they use a handy catch line of self service.

A few folks won the lottery and pre-existance Bob Barker announce "You just won a NEW BODY!" And there are few who broke into the lot and stole while the salesman was taking a pee pee.

Once you get your new body however the syncing processes that takes several month cuts you off to your long term memory storage, LTMS. Without access to LTMS you can't even remember the deal you made to get the body in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
    I totally get your point, Flipswix, because sometimes I've been wondering the exact same thing. Words aren't really all that good at describing it :/
    Protip: if words aren't "really all that good at describing it", then it's mostly just stuff in your head, and nothing to do with science.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
    We can never really know, I guess, because that's something you only get to find out after you're, well, dead.
    You don't "get to find out" anything after you die, as there will be no "you".

Glad someone finally gets my point! And yes it is very hard to put it down in words.
    I think there should be a way to find out though, at least a bit of the question. And that would be by determining how one's body/person/whatever you like to call it is determined to have it's awareness. I just don't know how to describe it properly.
    It seems to me like you're talking about souls and reincarnation, and I'm afraid that's all bullcrap. A sperm cell injects itself into an egg, which fertilizes and starts dividing, and out of those cells an embryo forms, and from this embryo a lifeform, which starts to develop a brain. A brain which starts to have activity, "software" if you will, which at some point becomes self-aware. Then very soon after the body dies, the chemicals and electricity in the brain dissipate and disappear, and the "software" gets deleted.

And that's all folks.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2013-12-06 at 05:05 PM.

Your hindbrain is actually making most of your decisions, which your conscious mind then rationalizes and claims responsibility for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    This is funny I have been asking this EXACT same question to myself for a couple of years now. I just didn't know how to form it into a question I could ask someone else. Yeah, I agree, it is quite a mindfuck when you think deep about it. This is exactly what makes me almost believe in reincarnation. When we die. is that it? Just endless nothingness?
    There is no "endless nothingness", you cease to exist. It stops, it isn't endless.

Or do we "take control" of another body without being aware of our previous one.
    Based on what do you make that potential leap?

This also gets me thinking of another mindfuck that I have also been thinking about for a long time. Lets just say this is true, that when we die we "reincarnate" into someone else, could we have also lived in the past?
    You've made a huge unsubstantiated leap, then asked what might happen if it were true. Instead of that, why not try to find some reasoning as to why your leap might be justified?

If so how far? We could've been living in the medieval times or even as far as cavemen era and it could've kept repeating over time(1000s, 1100s, 1200s, 1300s, 1400s, 1500s, etc.) to the body that we're in now. Not only that but could it be possible that we could "reincarnate" into animals? Or hell, even aliens? Before we were us right now could we have been part of an alien civilization from a different planet?
    Why would we reincarnate into a sentient being? Why not a blade of grass?

If we can have no recollection or link to previous lives, then isn't that just recycling and not reincarnation at all?

It my sound crazy stupid at first but when you take in all that other stuff into account then it becomes worth thinking about.
    Not really. It is an old philosophical device, that relied on people not questioning it too deeply.

I probably sound like a lunatic now.
    Nope, just someone that has taken a poorly thought out concept and written it down. We have all done that. Some people go so far as to kill others for disagreeing with philosophical differences, presumably you haven't done so.

Deleted
    We're just the culmination of our brain, a different brain is a different consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You don't "get to find out" anything after you die, as there will be no "you".
    What can be interesting is that in some Eastern traditions (eg Buddhism), and some newer Western philosophies, there never was a "you" or "I" to begin with. It's described as an illusion, or evolutionary artifact.
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Why settle for one? I may very well be several blades of grass.
    Being able to divide could mean that your "soul" isn't a singular entity, which means that we might be a collection of "souls".

My shits may each have their own "soul"! I've drowned so many of them that I'm almost as bad as Hitler (or Stalin)!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    We must secure personhood for poops posthaste.
    Plenty of shits are able to vote already, we don't need more to be given the opportunity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Ascension. Quite interesting. Solving this would make eternal life possible. I am convinced that I am my brain. So, placing my brain in another body should allow me to use that body. Transfering my brainwaves into a computer, would that work? Placing that computer in the head of an android body, would I be able to live forever? Would I still be alive? How would you define life?

Meh. And we end with death. Knowing that someday I'll die and I'll just be gone is the worst thought possible.
    There remains a major flaw in this logic though. If it is possible to *cut* and paste a mind, it would be equally possible to *copy* and paste a mind. In this circumstance, who is the true *you*? The original mind or the copied one? Transferring the data contained in a mind does not actually transfer the person.

Deleted
    I used to think about it a lot in my early teens. I even thought I was reincarnated because I had memories from a past life. Turns out I just have good memory and those memories were things I experienced as a baby but didnt fully comprehend back then.

I have no idea what exactly makes me me though or why I control this body and not someone elses. Even though I believe in god, I dont really believe in souls. It just sounds, I dont know, a little out there and impractical. Souls would have a use if we retained all the memories or skills but whats the point in just losing everything and starting over? It might as well just be a fresh start without any souls at all. If you dont learn or keep anything from a previous life, whats the point in that life then? It might as well not exist. Since everything in nature is practical and designed to be efficient, I doubt "souls" as such would have naturally evolved or even created by a god because they simply serve no purpose.

Deleted
    But all of a sudden we're born into something
    Depends on what you believe but the scientific explanation would be you weren't. As your body formed your consciousness was created.

As for the when we die question, everyone, even religious folk seem to work on the premise that we are meant to exist after death, but this is only a rule we created.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I have no idea what exactly makes me me though or why I control this body and not someone elses.
    Essentially the same reason as why the steering wheel in one's car controls that car and doesn't control their neighbor's truck.
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Depends on what you believe but the scientific explanation would be you weren't. As your body formed your consciousness was created.

As for the when we die question, everyone, even religious folk seem to work on the premise that we are meant to exist after death, but this is only a rule we created.
    Well theres a scientific explanation for this too. If parallel realities exist or time is cyclical and there is no end, there will be a time when you're put together again. Or you never die in one of the parallel realities. Since after death, time stops for you, it will be instantaneous for you and you will be alive again. Maybe not on Earth but on a different planet in another universe that comes after ours but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Left, left, right, R1, L2, triangle, square, square, X.

OT: No idea, really. Only thing you can do is... wait and see.

Deleted
    To sum up:
    How come we are bound/aware in the body we are in?
    Since so far as I know there doesnt seem to be an explaination as to how I became the 'controller' of this body out of nothing.. Why would you rule out the theory of turning into something out of nothing again after you die?
    We are the body, we are the brain. Consciousness is the result of our brain activity. We don't come out of nowhere, we come from our parents. Honestly, have you not been paying attention in biology class? This is really not a difficult question.

As a side note, in theoretical science there *could* be something we would call the soul. But since he haven't found any proof of it existing we can't do shit with it, It's nothing more than a "what if?" scenario. Just accept we are the brain until we can somehow prove otherwise.

I once had a cognitive dissonance about these matters, brain damage/disease impacts impairing memory and morality, vs the idea of a soul that played a part in actions... but the fact that I call it cognitive dissonance now gives a clear idea of how I feel about it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no "life essence" or whatever you are talking about. You act as if YOU are some type of wisp that got into the body of a baby when it was born. No...

I'd try looking up how a baby is born, Genetics, and some Neurology. We don't just *PING* T100 has become self aware - Save John Connor.

We become self aware through adaptation to the things going on around us, and through this, we learn and grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

It seems to me like you're talking about souls and reincarnation, and I'm afraid that's all bullcrap. A sperm cell injects itself into an egg, which fertilizes and starts dividing, and out of those cells an embryo forms, and from this embryo a lifeform, which starts to develop a brain. A brain which starts to have activity, "software" if you will, which at some point becomes self-aware. Then very soon after the body dies, the chemicals and electricity in the brain dissipate and disappear, and the "software" gets deleted.

And that's all folks.
    I don't look at souls and reïncarnation the way most people believe it. I only use the word soul here to describe the 'me', my awareness, the power of me to make choises and feel. Which is all in my brain. Once I die, that part is ofcourse gone too. I don't believe your soul transfers to another body or something like that, which is what most people associate reincarnation with. I simply think that after we die we could have a chance again on just being formed again in another body. In that case it's not the 'me' im talking about here. It's just a new organism, a new body. Which I am able to control and be aware in again. It's not like i'd be reïnstalling my PC with all the things I had in it. It'd be like.. replacing the PC with all the data on it (me), with something entirely different.. possibly a phone.. car.. boat.. rocket. To maybe clear my way of view up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I simply think that after we die we could have a chance again on just being formed again in another body. In that case it's not the 'me' im talking about here. It's just a new organism, a new body. Which I am able to control and be aware in again.
    What/who were you before you were (are) you? If you are not or cannot be aware of a previous existence, then you never previously existed. I could make the claim that I am currently alive and exist in other forms, whether they are in this dimension or in another, but without awareness of it/them that existence it is invalid.

Even if you are thinking there is some sort of mechanism that prevents you from being aware of a previous existence, that new organism (you 'reborn') would be just that; a new organism. All of the characteristics that defined you before would interact with the world in a different way than before, and any similarities would have to be coincidence.
    Last edited by Payday; 2013-12-06 at 07:37 PM.