Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I had proposed this in another thread, but figured i'd post it here as well.

Since the color meaning quality of gear is utterly meaningless these days, I said color should be changed to depict the origin of the item.

The current model for example for Siege gear is all of it is purple. Huge, shocking surprise right? But beneath that lovely purple text is GREEN text that stats where it came from. Raid Finder, nothing for reg, or Heroic. I say gear from quests should be green, dungeons and raid finder should be blue, reg mode raids should be purple, and Mythic/Heroic mode should be something new, perhaps red since that color has never actually been used for anything in game. Would give colors meaning again, and also remove the superfluous green text that tells you if its raid finder, normal, or heroic.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

@MoanaLisa
    What if old Legendaries became special abilities? This would require far more even spread of legendaries, like the cloak, but what if when the next expansion you "learned" the old legendary and it's special ability became a permanent non-scaling ability (along with the special effect when it procs)? Possibly with a toggle, since some multistrike powers are annoying under specific circumstances.

On gear color, I would prefer a method where the color tells you something important about the gear. Make it informative.
    White: Cosmetic gear, no stats.
    Green: This gear has stats!
    Blue: This gear has stats and is part of a set.
    Purple Border: This gear has bonus stats!

For enchanting, I'd go with the MoP style material upgrades. Everything DEs into dust, higher ilvl items give more dust, and enchants convert dust into other enchanting materials (essences, crystals).
    Last edited by Darmalus; 2013-12-07 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean in all honesty the best quest IMO in the game just gave me a white item (and plenty of fun epics along the way). I would rather see what the OP and those who agree with him want though. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but this is an MMO and an RPG. gear traditionally does mean something in these genres.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    If color really matters so little

why not just have normal modes, heroic, mythic dropping epics while everything else drops blue/green or gives blue/green with the occasional epic? I mean if color really does not mean much to you and you just go for the upgrade... get your upgrade, if you do raids of a higher difficulty it just so happens to be a purple upgrade.
    I wouldn't mind. But why set it to flex ? Is that what you would call epic raiding ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I wouldn't mind. But why set it to flex ? Is that what you would call epic raiding ?
    Did I say flex?

- - - Updated - - -

But from what ive seen in these threads since the pvp welfare epics in tbc.....

The too cool to care crowd cares as much as the prestige crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I say flex?
    You used the WoD term but since normal describes two different difficulties now and then i used the term everybody can identify.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh. I really need to brush up.

SO its LFR Flex Normal and Mythic? or is it LFR, Flex, Heroic, Mythic? My intent was the last two and not the first two. SO in example one of my not understanding its noral and mythic and example 2 its heroic and mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could go the route some games use and have different SHADES of purple etc. But I still contend that the color is not an important factor.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Oh. I really need to brush up.

SO its LFR Flex Normal and Mythic? or is it LFR, Flex, Heroic, Mythic? My intent was the last two and not the first two. SO in example one of my not understanding its noral and mythic and example 2 its heroic and mythic.
    Flex becomes normal, normal becomes heroic and heroic becomes mythic. There will no longer be raid called flex and LFR stays LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    ah
    So Heroic and Mythic with the epics. If it really means so little to some, why not right?

The whole colour system is flawed as long as there remains anything but a pre-planned and finite progression.
    WoW has never had that, and never will.

Therefore there is no fix which will make the colours meaningful.
    The problem is how people interpret something which is horribly broken, and beyond fixing due to fundamental mechanics in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Yimereh View Post
    Feel free to discuss =)
    How kind of you ^^

Deleted
    remove ilevel from being viewable either via mods, or on tool-tips.
    Remove the color of the item.
    Force people to made descion's based on the stats.

Problem fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Problem fixed.
    That's what people did before the Gearscore addon came out in Wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Problem fixed.
    And then the next day an add-on is released that generates an "item score" based on a weighted evaluation of the stats. Sorry, but if people don't want to pay attention to gear, they wont. Just look at "ask mr robot" and similar sites.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    You used the WoD term but since normal describes two different difficulties now and then i used the term everybody can identify.
    Every raid is flex except for Mythic in WoD. So why are you are you proposing to set it only to mythic?

- - - Updated - - -

In WoD the raids modes will be LFR, Normal, Heroic, and Mythic. LFR, Normal, and Heroic will all be flex modes that offer scaling. This is why Blizzard dropped the flex difficulty because it doesn't make sense to have a difficulty named flex when it is no longer the only one containing scaling technology.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    As Purples haven't been special for three-four expansions, why bother changing it now?
    The only people whose attitudes need adjusting are the people who somehow still after this many years haven't worked out how common they are yet
    Pretty much this. Purple just means "came from a raid" early in each expac, and "is raid quality" later on. That's it. There used to be item budget in purple or blue or green, but that went away in Cataclysm. LK was the last time it was true. Orange still has some extra item budget, exclusively to be used for some manner of proc.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Every raid is flex except for Mythic in WoD. So why are you are you proposing to set it only to mythic?
    Why not ? Any setting is arbitrary. Why exclude LFR ? Why exclude 5mans ? Why not only give epics in the hardest mode to keep them epic ?
    Thats the problem with this discussion, everybody thinks he or she deserves epics but everyone below them doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epics should just be in the heroic and Mythic mode and I dont see why a faction cant offer 1 or 2 at exalted.

Maybe at the end of loooong quest chains. Would bring an excuse for aq40 level quests again... damn I love that scepter.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-12-08 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Not anymore, sadly. It was that way up through WotLK, but they changed it in Cataclysm. I can't find any items of identical item level, but http://www.wowhead.com/item=84012 is a pair of ilvl 437 green mail intellect pants, with 706 intellect, and http://www.wowhead.com/item=80910 is a pair of ilvl 435 blue mail intellect pants with 693 intellect.

These days, all item level indicates is either:
    1) source (dungeon gear is blue, raid gear is epic, etc), or
    2) Level it can be used at (http://www.wowhead.com/item=80910 is a pair of epic ilvl 440 agility pants that can be equipped at level 87, lower than you'd normally be able to equip something of that ilvl)

Edit: Another example:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=82543 Dreaming Spirit Guantlets, blue ilvl 434, 510 intellect
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=88129 Withered Wood Handguards, green ilvl 437, 524 intellect (+14)
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=87364 Gloves of Sanctity, blue ilvl 440, 539 intellect (+15)
    Linear stat progression despite the change in color
    Secondary stats differ though. typically, greens have 0-1, blues have 1-2, purples have 2-3, and legendary have 3+procs.