Page 1 of 147
... LastLast

Sub-Race Photoshop Mockups

I think because a lot of people are coming by this thread now because of the front page post I'm going to try to clear things up a bit. These are sub-race mockups for models that are going to be in game anyways come WoD, such as the various Orc races, Dwarves races, Tauren clans, Leper Gnomes etc. (Except Android Gnome and Elf Forsaken)

I originally made this thread as a response to a WoW Insider article that talked about variant player skins for all the various sub-races that were in the game.

I thought it would be cool to make a bunch of edits of all the Blizzcon Previews for fun, and for practice for an intro to design/photoshop class that I have come January. I feel that since these models are going to exist in game anyways, and since many of these sub-races have a substantial amount of lore backing them up, sub-race skins can provide a huge amount of character customization. WoW really lacks the same level of character customization that next-gen MMO's seem to offer, and I feel that now with the overhaul of all the new models is a perfect time to implement some additional customization.

Also the un-undead human wax museum Danny Trejo thing was tounge in cheek, don't take it too seriously lol

Bonus Mounts

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by shoc; 2020-03-19 at 03:27 PM.

Hahaha that's awesome!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not so sure we need a Grimtotem skin when we could have taunka but the rest look great.

I love the dwarves. Something about the orc seems weird to me though. It could just be the way he's positioned though.
    I would love to have nice things in game but the game is just too hard for me to earn them in.

Don't worry friend, let us go to the Blizzard store!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Your in the wrong because ... you haven't been smart

10+ Year Old Account
    Do want Grimtotem Exile Tauren!

D:

its ok but i think subraces should be reserved for actual sub races and not just things like tattoos and skin colours.

tattoos they can easily put in the barbershop and they even said at blizzcon they had things like tattoos and new hair styles and other new customization choices coming.

skin colour i think should just be added to the character creation screen or through some quest like green fire although doing a quest to change your skin would be weird and possibly lore breaking unless the skin isnt the in lore reward and just a game mechanic.

sub races in my opinion should be saved for things like taunka, broken, high elves, mok'nathal, hobgoblins, mechagnomes.

races that are cool and would be neat but wouldnt really be able to stand on their own as a playable race
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now this is what sub-races will be. New skin options that allow racial offshoots we haven't been able to play as before.

It won't be a way to skirt the model issues relating to High Elves. No matter how much you want it, Mr. Immortal.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Brown orcs would be awesome in the Horde, never really cared for Dark Iron, but I would love Wildhammer Dwarves.

Also the Grimtotem and I would love if my Tauren would have that war paint and there if actually GOOD Grimtotem who joined the Horde by the care of Stormsong.
    For the Horde!

Very nice images OP. I've always wanted to roll a Dark Iron Dwarf so I like this feature.

However some races don't really have "sub-races". I'm thinking humans, blood-elves, gnomes, worgen, goblins, maybe night elves too. How would you make sub-races for them without breaking lore?

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Very nice images OP. I've always wanted to roll a Dark Iron Dwarf so I like this feature.

However some races don't really have "sub-races". I'm thinking humans, blood-elves, gnomes, worgen, goblins, maybe night elves too. How would you make sub-races for them without breaking lore?
    Blizzard could make up for it by adding more customization options for every race. Can't have too much beard options!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Now this is what sub-races will be. New skin options that allow racial offshoots we haven't been able to play as before.

It won't be a way to skirt the model issues relating to High Elves. No matter how much you want it, Mr. Immortal.
    what the hell is the point of sub races if all it is are tattoos and brown skin.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Do want a Mag'har Orc, holy shit that looks even more badass than I imagined.

Now, why can an average joe with limited amount of resources easily photo shop this but devs can't but a few unique skins in the game without of them saying that's on their list of things to do as we wait three years.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is actually pretty cool. I think that this is very do-able by Blizzard, but I'm guessing they won't.
    Currently Procrastinating

I would absolutely play as a Grimtotem.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Blizzard could make up for it by adding more customization options for every race. Can't have too much beard options!
    You goddamn right my brother.

these are some of the things i would use as sub races.

human - dont know. maybe just more customization options to make up for the lack of no sub race
    orc- mok'nathal
    tauren - taunka
    worgen - maybe night elf worgen look a bit different than human worgen
    goblins - hobgoblins
    dwarves - earthen
    forsaken - undead elves or perhaps leper gnomes
    night elves - dark trolls or high elves
    blood elves - felblood elves maybe, or maybe wretched
    draenei - broken
    pandaren - furbolg or more customization like tails for male pandaren or something
    troll - maybe forest trolls or maybe depending on how lore goes in the future some upright zandalari trolls

new skin options and things like tattoos and stuff are cool and should be added but if they were what we got as sub races i would be disappointed since there are better ways to implement them.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    these are some of the things i would use as sub races.

human - dont know. maybe just more customization options to make up for the lack of no sub race
    orc- mok'nathal
    tauren - taunka
    worgen - maybe night elf worgen look a bit different than human worgen
    goblins - hobgoblins
    dwarves - earthen
    forsaken - undead elves or perhaps leper gnomes
    night elves - dark trolls or high elves
    blood elves - felblood elves maybe, or maybe wretched
    draenei - broken
    pandaren - furbolg or more customization like tails for male pandaren or something
    troll - maybe forest trolls or maybe depending on how lore goes in the future some upright zandalari trolls

new skin options and things like tattoos and stuff are cool and should be added but if they were what we got as sub races i would be disappointed since there are better ways to implement them.
    All of these would require huge amount of new lore to justify them. Also, High Elf is physically the same as BE so I don't know what's the point. Just coppy BE's model for AA?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mok'nathal, Dark Iron and Grimtotem, DO WANT!!!

They look AWESOME!

I support any added skin colors for any and all races. Each race that I play has a particular color skin I choose each time I roll a new toon. Some races I just cannot play because I cannot settle on a good skin color, or appearance in general.