Didn't the wow team increase to like 100+ people? For the profits they make off this game would it hurt so much to hire a team dedicated to this alone? This "no resources" is complete bullshit. If they were a startup company it would make sense, but they make so much money....

Quote Originally Posted by Shefu View Post
    Didn't the wow team increase to like 100+ people? For the profits they make off this game would it hurt so much to hire a team dedicated to this alone? This "no resources" is complete bullshit. If they were a startup company it would make sense, but they make so much money....
    Yeah, I think I remember them saying that the WoW team is bigger than it's ever been now at Blizzcon. I'm no game developer, but I think if they really wanted to Blizzard could implement the sub-races using existing models in a few afternoons at most.
    You just lost The Game

Yeah but then they'll just toss out the tried and true "Blizzard quality over quantity" spiel. Can hire a ton of people but then they won't have the quality expected of Blizzard games which is also just bullshit. Implying talented artists and programmers are in such limited quantity worldwide. Our very own shoc here just completely blew the doors off that, showing a student on a trial version of photoshop can almost fully realize an entire sub-race on the very same level of Blizzard quality.

They'll hem and haw and toss some tweets out to acknowledge the idea, but then just divert attention away by saying IF they did it they would want to do it right with new stories for the races and exclusive content that will take valuable development time and thus it'll be a while before they've cleared enough off their plate to consider it. Aaaaaand another 5 years will pass and they'll just hope people forget about it lol.

I think a lot of people forget the fact that they are doing more work on new race models than they have ever done for all of the other expansions COMBINED. There have been 5 new race models over the course of 3 expansions, with WoD we are expecting 10 new race models.

In fact, I'm sure if Blizz were to announce at Blizzcon that there would be the equivalent of 10 new playable races in 1 expansion, people would be hailing it as the most content heavy expansion of all time.
    Last edited by shoc; 2013-12-22 at 08:02 AM.
    You just lost The Game

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    I think each race should get 3 subraces, seems like the perfect amount to me. In my opinion, these are what some of the subraces should
    I don't think the subrace concept would benefit by trying to keep it equal between every race. I don't want there to be obviously forced subraces for some groups, while others have tons of subraces not introduced due to the desire to keep them balanced. Logging in to see eight different types of dwarves would be much cooler than seeing that worgen now have a kitsune skin. Don't get me wrong, I'd totally go for a kitsune worgen, I just don't want to see options crammed in just for options.

Quote Originally Posted by averyhotham View Post
    For humans they should do cultist looking humans with the darker skin and markings on the eyes. Should add some other hair colors too.

Maybe as Death knight, warlock and priest skins? Or as a glyph.

To be honest; in the same way that there used to be class quests; there should be more racial individuality than what we currently have.

Firstly, he whole racial abilities/passives need to be re-worked into a "perks" style system from other RPGs whereupon on character creation you get to choose from 5 different perk trees, the professions one (choose a 'tag' profession), a combat passive (% stat, such as haste, crit or maybe 3% in one of the new tertiary stats) a combat active (HoT, DoT, Enrage, Berzerk) and a utility active (WotF, EmfH, Escape Artist, Shadowmeld), and finally a mobility racial (Darkflight, rocket jumper boots etc.)

Secondly there should be race-determined quests out there. Yes we're all part of the alliance/horde and for the most part the questing would reflect this. But its such a shame, especially for the non-original races that once you're out of the starting zone you are just another faceless drone of alliance/horde. What if reaching lvl 60 Genn Greymane summons you for a retrieval operation in ruined Gilneas; or Velen requesting you to seek out a powerful artifact of the Light. I think these things wouldn't require a massive amount of development time and would add depth to the racial choice which is arguably being removed by the first suggestion.

So to finally come OT, if they were to indtroduce sub races I think it would be imperative to also include some form of continuity for them. A San'layn is NOT going to be welcomed in Silvermoon in the same manner as an example; and I think it would make the sub race concept very shallow if they left it as a purely cosmetic thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Nice work!
    I love that Male High Elf Forsaken

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Yeah, I think I remember them saying that the WoW team is bigger than it's ever been now at Blizzcon. I'm no game developer, but I think if they really wanted to Blizzard could implement the sub-races using existing models in a few afternoons at most.
    They only need to change some colours on the textures, record a little bit of dialogue for the narrator and done. That's not even one afternoon of work. That's for most sub-races, like Mag'har, Dragonmaw, Wildhammer, Dark Iron, Grimtotem, etc.

The only sub-races that would take some time are entirely new models like elvish Forsaken, Taunka, etc.

But I think the biggest factor is Blizzard doesn't want to just release them like that, they probably want to give them entire new storylines, a new starting experience, maybe even a questline to open up the option to play a sub-race, etc. That's a lot of work. But I think that's not necessary, just give us the skins and be done with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    To be honest; in the same way that there used to be class quests; there should be more racial individuality than what we currently have.

Firstly, he whole racial abilities/passives need to be re-worked into a "perks" style system from other RPGs whereupon on character creation you get to choose from 5 different perk trees, the professions one (choose a 'tag' profession), a combat passive (% stat, such as haste, crit or maybe 3% in one of the new tertiary stats) a combat active (HoT, DoT, Enrage, Berzerk) and a utility active (WotF, EmfH, Escape Artist, Shadowmeld), and finally a mobility racial (Darkflight, rocket jumper boots etc.)

Secondly there should be race-determined quests out there. Yes we're all part of the alliance/horde and for the most part the questing would reflect this. But its such a shame, especially for the non-original races that once you're out of the starting zone you are just another faceless drone of alliance/horde. What if reaching lvl 60 Genn Greymane summons you for a retrieval operation in ruined Gilneas; or Velen requesting you to seek out a powerful artifact of the Light. I think these things wouldn't require a massive amount of development time and would add depth to the racial choice which is arguably being removed by the first suggestion.

So to finally come OT, if they were to indtroduce sub races I think it would be imperative to also include some form of continuity for them. A San'layn is NOT going to be welcomed in Silvermoon in the same manner as an example; and I think it would make the sub race concept very shallow if they left it as a purely cosmetic thing.
    I couldn't agree more but unfortunately I doubt they will go to the level of effort TESO is going with respect to the above ideas. It would be very welcome, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    That just got me thinking, what about class specific skins, like Death Knights have? Warlocks can be slightly corrupted by their channeling of demonic energy, Shamans covered in Runes, Hunters are.... hairier..?
    Yes this is nice, but it'd be more class-specific than anything else. Rogues, hunters and warriors are somewhat tricky for this sort of thing but it need not apply to every class.

I also expect HE to come through a NE subrace. It is superfluous for people to point out that they will not be a BE subrace. Duh. The entire point is to introduce them without consuming a race slot but still to make them a playable option on their own faction, i.e. Alliance. I would also strongly advocate for the felblood/San'layn subraces for BE; it is bizarre to me that some people would not consider these as options. Simply because they were on the wrong side in TBC/WOTLK... a bit like DKs once were?

Irrespective of this, for humans it's not difficult to envisage subraces that relate to their various ethnicities, rather than things like half-elves, which are exceedingly rare even amongst WoW's dying races and have never played much of a role in the setting at all with one or two exceptions. I mean why not half-orcs? Half-draenei? Etc. I'd rather they steered clear of half-breeds.
    Last edited by Zathrendar; 2013-12-22 at 10:14 PM.

kind of hope Vol'jin brings more trolls into the horde for more sub race options like sand trolls and frost trolls.
    also we need afros for races.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Stop acting like they're revamping the old models for our sake. With all these mmo's coming out with hundreds of custumization options it makes WoW look VERY outdated. This is a means for them to keep up with the times, not because they "love their fans so much"! Stop believing every single piece of BS they spew out whenever one of them tweets, like once a week.

The are kings of excuses. Devs with 20% of their resources are doing a much better job at giving players enough customization options without coming up with so many excuses. It's like the tier art in Wotlk....so many excuses, and most of the sets were still horrendous. You're one of the biggest gaming companies on the planet, with 3 of the most followed franchise, you're making world scale events, and you don't have the resources to hire 20 competent people dedicated to "character" art. REALLY? REALLY? STFU with that BS....jesus people wake up...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Very nice images OP. I've always wanted to roll a Dark Iron Dwarf so I like this feature.

However some races don't really have "sub-races". I'm thinking humans, blood-elves, gnomes, worgen, goblins, maybe night elves too. How would you make sub-races for them without breaking lore?
    Perhaps you could have a Night Elf-to-Worgen subrace?

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy panties of Velen do I want those. I really want a mechagnome girl as a warrior, or a rogue, a wildhammer dwarf for my hunter, so amazing! And those recolored mounts for racial is just so epic, have all my gold and coins and money and everything and give me those! Frostborn dwarves would make excellent frost mages, and

Grimtotem tauren, banshee undead.. @_@ do want.

Wish they were on retail... :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop acting like they're revamping the old models for our sake. With all these mmo's coming out with hundreds of custumization options it makes WoW look VERY outdated. This is a means for them to keep up with the times, not because they "love their fans so much"! Stop believing every single piece of BS they spew out whenever one of them tweets, like once a week.

The are kings of excuses. Devs with 20% of their resources are doing a much better job at giving players enough customization options without coming up with so many excuses. It's like the tier art in Wotlk....so many excuses, and most of the sets were still horrendous. You're one of the biggest gaming companies on the planet, with 3 of the most followed franchise, you're making world scale events, and you don't have the resources to hire 20 competent people dedicated to "character" art. REALLY? REALLY? STFU with that BS....jesus people wake up...
    Yeah I feel like they just do the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Dat Danny Trejo

Looks like Raul Julia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    Yeah I feel like they just do the bare minimum.
    They don't do the bare minimum. That's just cynical people thinking. The person you quoted acts like Blizzard doesn't do stuff for us. ...They kind of do, Transmog,Guild Banks, Model updates and so on and so forth.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They don't do the bare minimum. That's just cynical people thinking. The person you quoted acts like Blizzard doesn't do stuff for us. ...They kind of do, Transmog,Guild Banks, Model updates and so on and so forth.
    Again... because the competition is already doing so. He has a good point.

Of course WoW models are outdated, that should be a given lol. Even compared to other games that came out in 2004 WoW didn't have stellar graphics. 2004 saw Half Life 2, Halo 2, Everquest II, and those games looked way way better than WoW did at launch. People have been asking for updated models since the game came out, and it's pretty obvious that they've waited until the technology was just right to do so. Now with the ability to work facial bones and up the poly count 6x and waht not we can actually have new models that don't look like they were modeled 20 years ago.

It doesn't matter what the fans want, it's just a happy coincidence that what the fans want is also what the game desperately needs. What difference is there in adding a feature that the game needs that the fans have been asking for for years?
    You just lost The Game