10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    If they really wanted to I'm certain that they could adjust the lore to incorporate the likes of the san'layn/darkfallen and fel-blood elves. The former could be explained as defectors of the Scourge who sided with the forsaken. The latter could be explained as a necessary evil - fighting fire with fire to destroy the Burning Legion.
    They dont even need to do that. Just because the sunwell is fixed doesn't make the blood elves perfect. They're not just goody two shoes now. I think people make a hasty generalization about that. Felblood elves could quite simply just be corrupt blood elves who are even more demonic than their "normal" kin (who are already slightly felsworn). It would make perfect sense for a lot of the blood elf mages and especially warlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    They dont even need to do that. Just because the sunwell is fixed doesn't make the blood elves perfect. They're not just goody two shoes now. I think people make a hasty generalization about that. Felblood elves could quite simply just be corrupt blood elves who are even more demonic than their "normal" kin (who are already slightly felsworn). It would make perfect sense for a lot of the blood elf mages and especially warlocks.
    It's more of a warlock thing not a Mage thing. I'd wager the Warlocks wouldn't really give a shit about the Sunwell so much.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's more of a warlock thing not a Mage thing. I'd wager the Warlocks wouldn't really give a shit about the Sunwell so much.
    Well since all arcane magic in warcraft is addictive (and fel magic is just concentrated arcane magic) mages aren't completely immune to mutation either. Mages just use different techniques that aren't directly tied to demonology. There are a lot of demon mages and demon-aligned mages, especially when it comes to blood elf arcanists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well since all arcane magic in warcraft is addictive (and fel magic is just concentrated arcane magic) mages aren't completely immune to mutation either. Mages just use different techniques that aren't directly tied to demonology. There are a lot of demon mages and demon-aligned mages, especially when it comes to blood elf arcanists.
    You mean corrupted arcane magic.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean corrupted arcane magic.
    The Four Laws of Arcane Magic

Magic is Powerful.

1. Magic in Azeroth is the difference between a slave and a master, a foot soldier and king. Few races and nations can operate without powerful mages and warlocks. The use of arcane magic is growing; historically, each time this has happened before, a great disaster shortly follows. However, even though the history of the arcane is well known, mages and their patrons invariably come to the same self-serving conclusion: It won't happen to them.

2. Magic is Corrupting.
    Magic corrupts the soul; if the humblest person in Azeroth became a practitioner of the arcane, by the time the practitioner reached the higher levels in their art, all traces of her humble roots would be lost. Magic breeds pride and arrogance. Magic corrupts the body; it ages the caster before their time and hastens the blight that the world inflicts on things fair and beautiful. Those who claim that only Necromancy and Fel Magic have a corrupting influence are fooling themselves.

3. Magic is an Addiction.
    When one feels the power of an arcane spell coursing through one's body as it's being cast, resisting the urge to cast it again is difficult. Frequent use leads to a desire for more and, eventually, to a desire for the evil fel energy.

4. Magic attracts the Twisting Nether Like Flies to Honey.
    The Burning Legion has invaded Azeroth three times, drawn by the power of the Well of Eternity and those who employ it. Magic is a literal gateway drug that allows dark titans such as Sargeras to bring evil influences to the world. Those who employ arcane magic must deal with demons and other servants of the Twisting Nether.
    References

Sources
    ^ The Last Guardian
    ^ Magic & Mayhem, pg. 14-5
    ^ Dark Factions, pg. 118
    ^ Magic & Mayhem, pg. 15
    ^Various World of Warcraft Quests, in-game books, and dialogue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Warcraft there are two types of magic: divine and arcane. Divine is magic derived from higher powers (spirits, gods, the light, loa, old gods etc) and arcane magic is raw magic channeled directly through the body and converted into spells. The Twisting Nether is the physical manifestation of arcane magic. It's the realm of magic. It IS magic. Magic is the essence of chaos, and mortals have been trying (perhaps foolishly) to harness it for millennia.

Note Archimonde's speech before he destroys Dalaran in Warcraft III. He says that the mages of dalaran stole what belongs to demons by using magic. Arcane magic in general is chaotic and tied to the twisting nether. It's not a matter of whether or not it's corrupted. The Well of Eternity was the purest source of magic in the known universe, but it still drove the kaldorei insane. Arcane magic is basically cocaine in Warcraft, and fel magic is crack. Those few who can responsibly harness it are revered and respected like the Kirin Tor, but even they are "playing with fire" so to speak and try to use arcane magic in the most stable ways possible. Even that failed when Dalaran was first created because the excess use of magic tore hole sin reality and brought demons in who would kill people in the middle of the night.

Arcane magic in general is dangerous and volatile. That's what makes it unique in my opinion. You can be a totally benign mage, but you still become addicted to it and become tempted to use it recklessly. If magic was totally benign, everyone would use it. Fel magic is arcane magic in its most chaotic and uncontrolled form.

It's not as simple as "mages are good" and "warlocks are evil". Mages can be just as evil, if not moreso, than warlocks. Warlocks simply focus directly on unbridled, raw, pure fel magic, while mages seek a more calm and controlled process.

We're getting off-topic, but I just wanted to clear that up. A lot of people think magic in warcraft is relatively cut and dry and simple, but it' really ridiculously complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magic & Mayhem, pg. 14-5
    ^ Dark Factions, pg. 118
    ^ Magic & Mayhem, pg. 15
    Most of that is non cannon now. So you only have two sources

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of that is non cannon now. So you only have two sources
    I also have the points I made beneath the quote, which are directly from the games. Warcraft III, the lore of the kaldorei, the well of eternity, the history of Dalaran (they were attracting demons JUST by using arcane magic) the fact that the high elves needed those runestones to hide their magical activity from the burning legion (They weren't widely using fel magic back then, these stones were built thousands of years ago).

The guardians of Tirisfal, like Aegwyyn and Medivh, were created in response to increased demon attacks after the high elves taught humans how to use arcane magic after the troll wars. The Guardians were supposed to be (hopefully) the only people who could be trusted with that level of arcane magic and not be corrupted, but as we know, Medivh was tainted by Sargeras at the moment of his birth so that didn't really work out.

But yes, read all the points I listed below that quote as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even think it would matter. The Arcane(Magic as a whole hur hur) Isn't hard to understand but again this is the Sub-Race Thread not Sorcery of Azeroth 101.

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    TBH, I would expect homogeneity between Azerothians, Lordaeronians, citizens of Dalaran (which was in Lordaeron) and Gilneans. For whatever reason, Blizzard gave Gilneans a very bizarre configuration of hair and skin colours. I see where you're going with Stormwind, but judging from the NPCs, they seem to be on the fairer end of the spectrum too. I can't recall the source but from what I remember humans in Azeroth, irrespective of what options are open to the PC in WOW, don't actually get that dark. They seem to vary between the fairer ends of the Caucasian spectrum, ranging from Nordic to Mediterranean; there may be exceptions but I'm unaware of them and I am referring to the major kingdoms of which we know.

So basically they are distinct ethnicities, rooted in medieval Europe, but not broken into separate (sub)races per se. I see where you're going with it, though, and it'd be cool as a form of human subraces, as there's little else that would fit the bill, as worgen are their own race. I guess what you could do is give some unique customisation options to each subrace and limit its range of hair/skin colours, decorations, tattoos etc. and perhaps slightly differentiate its features, e.g. coarseness of facial features. Perhaps give each a minor perk to fit the culture of their nation, in line with what was touted by the blues for subrace differentiators. Not quite as pronounced as the human subraces in TES setting, but still enjoying some variation. Of course there's also the potential for the Azotha but not sure how official that stuff is.
    I always considering Stormwind to be a big melting pot city made up of members of every Human nation. There are Humans of all colours residing in Stormwind, which would seem a little odd considering their geographic identicalness. It's not like in Elder Scrolls where you have the Nordic Nords from Scandinavia aka Skyrim, and the Redguards from the Desert. In my own little headcanon, I always considered it to be like this:

Arathorian: Nordic, Viking types
    Gilnean: British, White guys
    Kul tiras: Darker, more Spanish esque
    Lordaeron: Medieval Europeans
    Dalaran: Wizards

Where Black and Asian Humans came from, I have no idea.
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I always considering Stormwind to be a big melting pot city made up of members of every Human nation. There are Humans of all colours residing in Stormwind, which would seem a little odd considering their geographic identicalness. It's not like in Elder Scrolls where you have the Nordic Nords from Scandinavia aka Skyrim, and the Redguards from the Desert. In my own little headcanon, I always considered it to be like this:

I don't think there are black and asian humans. It's just Humans. >.>

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account

I always assumed the darker skinned humans were the ones from Stormwind. If there's any explanation for the darker skinned ones, it would be Stormwind in my opinion, since in most fantasy worlds, dark skinned races tend to live in the south. Stormwind wasn't always a "melting pot". Lordaeron was the center of human activity ever since Arathor fell. Stormwind only became relevant when Lordaeron fell and refugees flooded south. I figured Lordaeron was Russians and German, at least in the north, because every town is german and lots of lordaeronians have russian or german accents (particularly the scarlets and the necromancers in the scholomances). Not sure "Wizard" is a race, but I can't think of anything better haha. I always imagined Kul'tirans as one of the great merchant navy nations like the venetians or the phoenicians.

I don't think there are asian humans in warcraft.
    Last edited by Psychotrip; 2014-02-25 at 04:55 AM.

I don't think there are black and asian humans. It's just Humans. >.>
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=1316 is Black

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=5479 is Asian

And I don't mean to come off as racist at all, I'm just saying that Humans of every race exist within Human society, there just aren't any explanations given to where they might have come from, Elder Scrolls style. Even the Orcs explain that the Brown Orcs are uncorrupted and from Nagrand, Blackrock Orcs are black because the heat and ash from Blackrock Mountain/Gorgorond.
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account

And I don't mean to come off as racist at all, I'm just saying that Humans of every race exist within Human society, there just aren't any explanations given to where they might have come from, Elder Scrolls style. Even the Orcs explain that the Brown Orcs are uncorrupted and from Nagrand, Blackrock Orcs are black because the heat and ash from Blackrock Mountain/Gorgorond.
    I didn't say you were being racist silly.

I know there are black people. I referenced that in my last post :P

I don't know if that guy is actually asian. He looks like any other white guy. For all we know he could be named after a pandaren, or it could just be a reference blizzard is making or a joke.

Skin color expression could be a binary phenotype in Warcraft. This would let there be a wide variety of "races" that all interbreed without losing variation. So, skin color ends up more like hair color, where it never really goes away.

I guess it's also possible that skin color is a response to some dietary or environmental factor, but that's something that should have been explored already if that's the case. Though, if someone created a fantasy universe where disease or starvation caused a group to express my genetic traits I would be a little uncomfortable with that.

All that aside, I'm warming up to the idea that Vrykul interbred with a native species the Azotha to explain some of the genetic variation in humans.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post

All that aside, I'm warming up to the idea that Vrykul interbred with a native species the Azotha to explain some of the genetic variation in humans.
    Haha like a sort of Warcraftian Neanderthal? Now THAT would be interesting. I assume though that the Vrykul mothers hid their ugly children away in the Arathi Highlands to start, paving the way for the first Human tribes. Through skirmishes with the Trolls over thousands of years they migrated all across the Eastern Kingdoms, reaching as far north as Quel'thelas and as far south as Stranglethorn. I'd imagine they found a way onto some islands and desert lands, hence black people and asians. But maybe just maybe I am looking too far into this.
    You just lost The Game

There's no real reason to assume the Azotha retained much of a "nordic" theme from their Vrykul ancestors. They were forcibly separated from that culture and became isolated very early in their civilisation.

I don't think there's any native species in the Eastern Kingdoms they could've interbred with. Elves? Trolls? Don't think either would make sense.

Then again, the idea that any of the species in Warcraft can interbreed makes no sense either.

Out-universe explanation: all skins are available for RP purposes.

In-universe explanation: Azeroth didn't have population bottlenecks that would cause racial differentiation, therefore the full range of racial traits is present in every human nation (this is not strictly biologically accurate, but hey, a wizard did it).

In Azeroth terms, "black" and "Asian" are just like blonde/brunette, blue/brown/green eyes in modern Western countries.

Really though this is just because the game wanted to be open to players and PC, in the original Warcraft games all fighting units were white males. In keeping with the pseudo-medieval fantasy setting. But you can be a black female warrior in WoW and no NPC ever bats an eye. One assumes that the lore is invisibly retconned to make this make sense. Not that it was ever addressed in either Warcraft or WoW eras, that I know of.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2014-02-25 at 05:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account

I didn't say you were being racist silly.

I know there are black people. I referenced that in my last post :P

I don't know if that guy is actually asian. He looks like any other white guy. For all we know he could be named after a pandaren, or it could just be a reference blizzard is making or a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There's no real reason to assume the Azotha retained much of a "nordic" theme from their Vrykul ancestors. They were forcibly separated from that culture and became isolated very early in their civilisation.

I don't think there's any native species in the Eastern Kingdoms they could've interbred with. Elves? Trolls? Don't think either would make sense.

Then again, the idea that any of the species in Warcraft can interbreed makes no sense either.

Out-universe explanation: all skins are available for RP purposes.

In-universe explanation: Azeroth didn't have population bottlenecks that would cause racial differentiation, therefore the full range of racial traits is present in every human nation (this is not strictly biologically accurate, but hey, a wizard did it).

In Azeroth terms, "black" and "Asian" are just like blonde/brunette, blue/brown/green eyes in modern Western countries.

Really though this is just because the game wanted to be open to players and PC, in the original Warcraft games all fighting units were white males. In keeping with the pseudo-medieval fantasy setting. But you can be a black female warrior in WoW and no NPC ever bats an eye. One assumes that the lore is invisibly retconned to make this make sense. Not that it was ever addressed in either Warcraft or WoW eras, that I know of.
    I dont see it as much of a retcon so much as game limitations. They weren't going to individually render every unit based on what nation they're from, and they wont completely distinguish them in WoW for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

The idea is that, since it isn't expressly stated that the Azotha descended from the Vrykul, that both the Vrykul and Azotha could be separate progenitor races of humans that interbred.

I dont see it as much of a retcon so much as game limitations. They weren't going to individually render every unit based on what nation they're from, and they wont completely distinguish them in WoW for the same reasons.
    I think Warcraft 1-2 were much more traditional fantasy which had a more realistic medieval european society, ergo everyone was white and the men went out to fight while women stayed at home weaving on looms or whatever. It was never actually stated anywhere though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    The idea is that, since it isn't expressly stated that the Azotha descended from the Vrykul, that both the Vrykul and Azotha could be separate progenitor races of humans that interbred.
    I suppose, seems unnecessarily complex though. Presumably the Azotha would have to derive from the same Titan "human" seed race somehow, otherwise you have two "human" races with totally different origins on Azeroth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I quite liked the traditional fantasy angle where humans are concerned. Then again I've never really understood the need and/or pressure for fantasy settings to accommodate and adhere to modern day values of inclusion and representation. I'm all for better customisation options for humans, though - but from the angle of allowing each major nation to be somewhat distinct in their appearance rather than doing so out of a need to reflect real world diversity.