1. #1

    10H Malkorok question

    Hi guys! So we attempted Malkorok on 10H for a little bit. I have a couple of questions. It will be great if you guys can help us

    1) How do you usually handle the add? Switch and kill really quick? We had tanks clash/grip and cleave but it sometimes is troublesome when slam/puddle/orbs come.
    2) Do you actually need a melee? We currently don't have any melee. One hunter has a rogue but we don't want to have to have him switch every time. Just bring a range to melee if you don't have a melee? Anything else we need to worry about?
    3) I'm just curious, if this sounds correct: Most ppl are having trouble focusing on multiple things at the same time. So what I had in mind is, generally as dps, you should mostly looking at the ground you are responsible for all those shit, and don't even look at boss or adds, just do your rotation and keep moving. I wonder if this is how ppl usually do it?
    4) Any other tips is welcome

    Our raid compo is:
    T: Monk, DK
    H: Disc Priest, Druid
    D: SV hunter x 2, Frost Mage, Boomkin, Lock (forgot spec), Ele shaman

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    1) We just cleave it down and dot it up, no one single targets it.

    2) Lol, we actually had to drop to two melee from three on 10H to kill it. You don't NEED a melee, but one or two are good because they basically get to turret all fight.

    3) You have to look at your feet. Assign everyone a quadrant and yell at them until they learn to stay in it and return to it after soaking orbs/dodging breaths.

    4) Have your monk solo tank hulk mode. I use wall + guard, two sacs and avert harm on the first. Zen med into avert + pain sup + sacs + guard + wall as soon as it comes up on the second. Tell him to go into hulk mode with 5 chi and focus on clearing his stagger rather than dps. He'll cap vengeance and nuke the boss as soon as he's done. Also, the monk needs to start the fight and the tanks need to swap at roughly 15 stacks to avoid the monk having any stacks when you enter hulk mode. Pop xuen as soon as possible on the pull and he'll come back up a few seconds after first hulk mode ends while he still has a lot of vengeance.

    While hulk mode is happening your blood dk needs to run around and soak as many orbs as possible to clear the room.

    And the monk can use zen med with the glyph at any time before the first cleave phase to soak orbs. I like to do it after two or three breaths and I usually get 7 or 8 orbs pretty easily. Just make sure he doesn't have the add on him because it will break zen med.

  3. #3
    1) We have a dk tank Death Grip it in, I(Warlock) Havoc a chaos bolt to it and we just basically cleave it down

    2) Our group ran with 2 melee(not including tanks) and we downed it just fine. The learning curve is a bit higher the higher the number of melee you have, but it also cuts down on miscommunications where someone says "I thought he had it" in the ranged for soaking puddles. One of our melee was always soaking the melee puddle to alleviate damage on the tanks somewhat.

    3) Realistically as a range, this fight is all about awareness. Your rotation you honestly shouldn't even need to look at for the most part, only procs, and the rest of the time you should be scanning for orbs, adds, puddles, arcing smashes, breathes, etc. The fight requires a lot of attention

    4) Having a pally or monk solo soak the blood rage phase is beautiful, as it allows more orbs to be soaked (as there are 7 people(not the healers) soaking orbs as opposed to just a few).

    Your composition is actually extremely mobile, so I don't see very much issue with soaking the puddles come a bit of practice and some communication.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by xiic View Post
    1) We just cleave it down and dot it up, no one single targets it.

    2) Lol, we actually had to drop to two melee from three on 10H to kill it. You don't NEED a melee, but one or two are good because they basically get to turret all fight.

    3) You have to look at your feet. Assign everyone a quadrant and yell at them until they learn to stay in it and return to it after soaking orbs/dodging breaths.

    4) Have your monk solo tank hulk mode. I use wall + guard, two sacs and avert harm on the first. Zen med into avert + pain sup + sacs + guard + wall as soon as it comes up on the second. Tell him to go into hulk mode with 5 chi and focus on clearing his stagger rather than dps. He'll cap vengeance and nuke the boss as soon as he's done. Also, the monk needs to start the fight and the tanks need to swap at roughly 15 stacks to avoid the monk having any stacks when you enter hulk mode. Pop xuen as soon as possible on the pull and he'll come back up a few seconds after first hulk mode ends while he still has a lot of vengeance.

    While hulk mode is happening your blood dk needs to run around and soak as many orbs as possible to clear the room.

    And the monk can use zen med with the glyph at any time before the first cleave phase to soak orbs. I like to do it after two or three breaths and I usually get 7 or 8 orbs pretty easily. Just make sure he doesn't have the add on him because it will break zen med.
    Sound very good! Thank you so much!

    Well so far we are still trying to survive instead of worrying about dps. Guess I'll mention more about watching shit. How long does add usually live when you were just cleaving? Seems like if ppl were not switching it's not dying fast enough.

  5. #5
    Our group had issues keeping everyone alive and with good shields - so we just 3 healed it.
    None really DPSed adds, only tank+general cleave tookc are of them, every single mechanic was still doable even w/ the slow (Guess that burst of speed helps since our rogue was soaking melee)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Haegr View Post
    1) We have a dk tank Death Grip it in, I(Warlock) Havoc a chaos bolt to it and we just basically cleave it down

    2) Our group ran with 2 melee(not including tanks) and we downed it just fine. The learning curve is a bit higher the higher the number of melee you have, but it also cuts down on miscommunications where someone says "I thought he had it" in the ranged for soaking puddles. One of our melee was always soaking the melee puddle to alleviate damage on the tanks somewhat.

    3) Realistically as a range, this fight is all about awareness. Your rotation you honestly shouldn't even need to look at for the most part, only procs, and the rest of the time you should be scanning for orbs, adds, puddles, arcing smashes, breathes, etc. The fight requires a lot of attention

    4) Having a pally or monk solo soak the blood rage phase is beautiful, as it allows more orbs to be soaked (as there are 7 people(not the healers) soaking orbs as opposed to just a few).

    Your composition is actually extremely mobile, so I don't see very much issue with soaking the puddles come a bit of practice and some communication.
    Thank you very much!

    Havoc sounds like a good idea. Do the cooldowns line up?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by HhitSappens View Post
    Our group had issues keeping everyone alive and with good shields - so we just 3 healed it.
    None really DPSed adds, only tank+general cleave tookc are of them, every single mechanic was still doable even w/ the slow (Guess that burst of speed helps since our rogue was soaking melee)
    How does your dps look like? I saw most people 2 heal and barely made the timer for the first kill.
    Last edited by jasonleekungfu; 2013-12-07 at 07:24 AM.

  7. #7
    We barely made it ~ had 5s to spare or so.
    But we had an alt which kinda hurt our rDPS by 50-100k
    From what we saw, you need 2.1m rDPS (boss+adds) over the 6:05 minute of the encounter, if you overkill it you are hurting your group because you could just 3 healed.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HhitSappens View Post
    We barely made it ~ had 5s to spare or so.
    But we had an alt which kinda hurt our rDPS by 50-100k
    From what we saw, you need 2.1m rDPS (boss+adds) over the 6:05 minute of the encounter, if you overkill it you are hurting your group because you could just 3 healed.
    Our dps doesn't look that good with 3 heal. Well part of the reason is we are still trying to survive atm. But I'll keep that in mind. Thank you

  9. #9
    Your priest should spec to Holy for this fight.
    The discs atonement heal (along with every "smart" heal) completely useless in the whole phase one.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahim View Post
    Your priest should spec to Holy for this fight.
    The discs atonement heal (along with every "smart" heal) completely useless in the whole phase one.
    Not really... Resto druid + disc pull more than enough healing for keeping shields up and besides the extra damage disc can bring, having DA + on demand shields for soakers on top of the Ancient Barrier is more useful than pure healing of holy.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahim View Post
    Your priest should spec to Holy for this fight.
    The discs atonement heal (along with every "smart" heal) completely useless in the whole phase one.
    Atonement functions perfectly fine with Ancient Barrier on Malkorok. It's not going to heal somebody with a full green shield at the expense of other players that need the healing more.

    "Completely useless" is completely wrong, don't spread misinformation like this. If you're having tanks solo (or duo) soak the cleave, Pain Suppression and Power Word: Barrier are a lot more useful than Guardian Spirit and Divine Hymn. Unless you're really throughput starved, all Holy is going to do is pump out more overhealing and make the fight duration longer.

    The only thing that is really broken on Malkorok is the fact that overhealing done to players with already-capped shields shows up as actual healing. If you don't believe me watch the healing meters on the pull with multiple healers going all-out and using every throughput cooldown, the shields will cap out in seconds and the HPS will continue to skyrocket.
    Last edited by Lothrik; 2013-12-07 at 10:03 AM.

  12. #12
    Just have your lock havoc a chaos bolt onto the add and everyone can dot/cleave it down.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ItcheeBeard View Post
    Just have your lock havoc a chaos bolt onto the add and everyone can dot/cleave it down.
    Yea that sounds like a good idea. Does the cooldown line up with the add? I can't remember exactly.

  14. #14
    They fixed the atonement problems with 5.4. They noticed how disc had to grab down the toilet on Tortos HC and since Malkorok was going to use the same mechanic, they singlehandedly almost fixed it. Even Tortos was fine back then, you just needed to tell your DPS to not get a shield at under 100% HP and you were set. Or you just switched to "normal" healing.

    The only issue on Malkorok that remains with Disc is that Divine Aegis isn't converted to absorbs (good job blizzzard). Although I have to admit that Disc would most likely just top the meters with 0% DA overheal.

    We have been two-healing Malkorok from the start, Disc is fine on it. Atonement is amazing, otherwise you'd likely run into range issues. And in fact, PoH can be garbage since you're likely to not hit people. To top it all off, a Holy will have a harder time soaking during P2 due to no PainSup and can't support the tanks with a PWB.


    As for the actual questions. We only have 3 ranged players in our raid, which means we had to do Malkorok with three melees. Also fine (though annoying). Our rogue regularly cleared healers of their orbs during P1, our warrior shout can save tanks and our enhancement shaman fills the whole raid's shields at the pull, then drops HTT during P2. That leaves two healers and three ranged to soak voids, which is probably the minimum you'd ever want. We always have a melee soak the closest void to the boss, so only two are left for ranged to eat. I actually think having a single melee player is a great help due to the void soaking.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Yea that sounds like a good idea. Does the cooldown line up with the add? I can't remember exactly.
    The cooldown is shorter than the spawn iirc. I sometimes use the glyph on this fight, this means it's not up for every spawn but when it is I can solo the add down and it also means insane burst at the start.

    Also more warlock tips for the fight.

    Saccing a voidlord is nice for his "Shadow bulwark" ability. Have him pop it at the start and his shield will be easily over 1 million and it's always available at the end of blood fury to reapply at the start of each p1.

    Taking soul link with gosac is nice as this provides yet more hp (and thus bigger shields). You could also take sacpac but this eats your hp (which obviously cannot be healed up and therefor each subsequent shield will be lower after using it)

    Generally speaking if you're using soul link, go sac and saccing your voidlord you should only need a twilight ward or unending resolve for soaking puddles.
    Last edited by ItcheeBeard; 2013-12-08 at 11:16 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •