View Poll Results: do we mortals in wow know who sargeras is

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    47 48.96%
  • no

    4 4.17%
  • only some of us do

    40 41.67%
  • only titans know

    5 5.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Well if you are playing a Night Elf or Draenei you probably have fought the legion first hand in the past 10000+ years, so They should know, and also the adventures everyone has been on has showed of titan stuff, which related to Sargeras as well.

  2. #22
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by militaryspartan View Post
    A portion of the Draenei, Night Elves, Naga, and potentially some Blood/High Elves, Aspect leaders, the inhabitants of Ulduar, and a few others here and there such as Khadgar. At best the other races have some legends/rumors of him.
    I would assume Algalon knows of him, and granted, I bet the Old Gods as well as Lei Shen and Ra-Den (from Throne of Thunder) do too.



    Most of the lore is intertwined; I'd be amazed if we were to believe our players weren't aware of the biggest threat to our planet at this point in time. We've been through hell and back.

  3. #23
    The achievement "Well Read" requires you to read many books which contain a rundown history of Azeroth starting from birth of Azeroth to then present day which was start of Vanilla WoW. One of the books "The War of the Ancients" mentions Sargeras. As such, we can safely RP and mention his name.

    Also Sunwell and pretty much entire Outland.
    Last edited by Dzudzadzo; 2013-12-08 at 05:45 AM.

  4. #24
    most people in azeroth know of sargeras.

    whether they know exactly what and how and whatever sargeras actually does and is and ect is another question.

    i dont think most people would know hes a titan and almost no one would know what he actually looks like or anything like that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    The achievement "Well Read" requires you to read many books which contain a rundown history of Azeroth starting from birth of Azeroth to then present day which was start of Vanilla WoW. One of the books "The War of the Ancients" mentions Sargeras. As such, we can safely RP and mention his name.

    Also Sunwell and pretty much entire Outland.
    some of those books dont actually exist as books in the lore and are just excerpts from actual warcraft books
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    some of those books dont actually exist as books in the lore and are just excerpts from actual warcraft books
    Maybe the book about Sargeras' fall was written by Sargeras' avatar or Sargeras Medivh.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  6. #26
    The problems I'm facing with this, is the issue of metagaming. Knowledge that we, the player, have does not necessarily reflect the knowledge known in the game world. And I think this largely lies with the way that the lore is given to us as consumers. It's told in a way so that we, the consumer, can understand, but that doesn't mean the people in the game world understand.

    How do we know about Sargeras?

    I read it in a book.

    How do we know the book was not a work of fiction?

    The demons on Outland make reference to Sargeras.

    But realistically, wouldn't the demons of the Burning Legion be speaking in Eredun, not the common tongue?

    The only people with any real knowledge of Sargeras would be the draenei, the kaldorei, the quel'/sin'dorei and those privy to the Council of Tirisfal. But who of those would share such knowledge? It could be said that what knowledge the Council of Tirisfal had was lost when Medivh killed off the last known members of his generation. Aegwynn could have told Jaina, but the Council still remains as secretive as ever. The kaldorei are equally as secretive and enigmatic. The contemporary quel'/sin'dorei are young and probably forgot. The draenei would be our only reliable source of information regarding Sargeras, but, again, would they let it be made common knowledge?

    Just ask yourself, what makes for a better story? A character who has all the answers and no questions, or a character with all the questions and no answers?
    Last edited by CataclismicSunrise; 2013-12-08 at 06:29 AM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I would assume Algalon knows of him, and granted, I bet the Old Gods as well as Lei Shen and Ra-Den (from Throne of Thunder) do too.



    Most of the lore is intertwined; I'd be amazed if we were to believe our players weren't aware of the biggest threat to our planet at this point in time. We've been through hell and back.
    Well heh to be fair....we kinda do shoot first, ask questions later on most of the people who would actually know him.

  8. #28
    Stood in the Fire Hooliganz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    478
    its mentioned many times

  9. #29
    It's totally a secret guys, only like two or three major player races know, and I'm sure they never told anyone. Uh huh.

  10. #30
    Kinda? We know some, but none of that information is really from objective sources, so much could be wrong.

    That's pretty much how we know most things in lore though, so we know him well enough.
    blah, new sig... something something

  11. #31
    After collecting hundreds of his marks in BC I am sure my toons know who he is
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  12. #32
    High Overlord Mshadowz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    139
    It's probably not common knowledge, but I'm sure there are legends and rumors spread across the kingdoms. Our player characters probably know for sure. That's of course among races like humans and dwarves. I'm sure every Dreanei knows who he is, and I'm sure they probably spread their knowledge to the Alliance/neutral factions, and I'm sure that knowledge has made it to the Horde.
    Last edited by Mshadowz; 2013-12-08 at 08:28 AM. Reason: adding more

  13. #33
    How would it not be common knowledge? If the devil almost came to earth and it took the combined force of all nations to stop him, I'm pretty sure we'd all know who it was. Same thing applies to Sargeras.

    Also the upteen books mentioning him in one way or another.

    Also Outland.

    Also demons.

    Seriously you'd have to consciously avoid knowledge of the outside world not to have heard of him.
    i7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz; ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 MOBO; Antec Lanboy Air Black Case; 2X GTX 480 SLI OC @ 800/1500 clocks; 16GB 1866Mhz RAM; 256GB CORSAIR SSD; 2X Phobya DC12-400 Pumps; Koolance 370 r1.1 CPU Block; 2X Heatkiller GPU-X GPU Blocks; Tygon Silver 1/2" ID Tubing; Microreservoir

  14. #34
    We used to gather items called "Mark of Sargeras".

    And the turn in "By now it should be clear to you why we oppose the Burning Legion and those who serve them." suggests that we should know.

  15. #35
    The fact that we as players commonly have knowledge or that our characters ("heroes") have knowledge does not mean that most or many people in Azeroth do. "Heroes" are not common, it just happens that for game mechanic purposes there's far more player characters ingame than NPCs. Players != all or most people.

    Additionally, we'd have to assume what content each character even did. I don't think it's dictated anywhere that it's assumed that every character has done everything leading up to current content.

    Additionally additionally: Outland content really hardly spoke of Sargaeras. There was a great deal about the Burning Legion in Nagrand, Hellfire, and Shadowmoon (although not much outside of those zones imo), but hardly any mention of Sargaeras. I recently redid all of Outland on an alt and run the raids regularly for mog (and because I love them :3).

    We really haven't had any major content that discusses Sargaeras in a significant way yet. We have major content about the Old Gods and the Titans but nothing about Sargaeras. He's not in Ulduar, in Dragon Soul, in Throne of Thunder, in SoO... Not in body or in name. I honestly don't think he's even mentioned in Well of Eternity, but my memory is fuzzy and I haven't done that dungeon in a couple years.

    He gets mentioned in random books--can we assume most people in Azeroth read, know the language these books are written in, can even get a copy?--and he's mentioned in the Sunwell raid, but for the most part it seems that players aren't told who's leading the Burning Legion. We mostly only know about Kil'jaeden, and if I hadn't read stuff on Wikis and in the books outside the game I would probably believe that he was the head of the Burning Legion, honestly.

    How would it not be common knowledge? If the devil almost came to earth and it took the combined force of all nations to stop him, I'm pretty sure we'd all know who it was. Same thing applies to Sargeras.

    Also the upteen books mentioning him in one way or another.

    Also Outland.

    Also demons.

    Seriously you'd have to consciously avoid knowledge of the outside world not to have heard of him.
    The issue here isn't that people don't know about the Legion. This is specifically about Sargaeras. If we look back at content about the BL, there is little to no mention of Sargaeras. I don't think anyone is denying that the population of Azeroth knows about the Burning Legion or remembers its invasion ~10 years ago.

    We used to gather items called "Mark of Sargeras".
    Item names really aren't good indicators of lore knowledge, either. They're game mechanics, not really story indicators, imo.
    Last edited by Magistrate; 2013-12-08 at 08:52 AM.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    Item names really aren't good indicators of lore knowledge, either. They're game mechanics, not really story indicators, imo.
    Yet the turn-in conversation indicates otherwise.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Yet the turn-in conversation indicates otherwise.
    Not really. The quests just refer to them as "insignias of high-ranking Legion and their Shadow Council followers."

    The only thing tying them to Sargeras is the name of the item. [Mark of Sargeras] Even the item description just references high-ranking Legion followers.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-12-08 at 09:30 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  18. #38
    Thrall and his inner circle probably know because he was told about Broxigar.

  19. #39
    The only people who ever had direct knowledge of Sargeras at all are the Draenei, some Night Elves and Warlocks. Other races may have had old tales about demons that nobody really believed, but they'd be little more than vague myths. So the only way specific knowledge of Sargeras could get spread around is by being told by either Draenei, Night Elves or Warlocks.

    Warlocks have only existed in Azeroth for a couple of decades, and are highly secretive.
    Draenei are only recently arrived as well and probably never spent much time around the average Human/Dwarf etc.
    Night Elves have only had contact with other races for about 10 years, and also wouldn't have spent much time with average Humans either.

    While some of those guys would be happy to share knowledge of a common enemy, the vast majority of people would not know or even particulary care about the specific hierarchy of the burning legion.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The only people who ever had direct knowledge of Sargeras at all are the Draenei, some Night Elves and Warlocks. Other races may have had old tales about demons that nobody really believed, but they'd be little more than vague myths. So the only way specific knowledge of Sargeras could get spread around is by being told by either Draenei, Night Elves or Warlocks.

    Warlocks have only existed in Azeroth for a couple of decades, and are highly secretive.
    Draenei are only recently arrived as well and probably never spent much time around the average Human/Dwarf etc.
    Night Elves have only had contact with other races for about 10 years, and also wouldn't have spent much time with average Humans either.

    While some of those guys would be happy to share knowledge of a common enemy, the vast majority of people would not know or even particulary care about the specific hierarchy of the burning legion.
    There's also the dragonflights and the Council of Tirisfal who know about Sargeras. And Khadgar.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •