Page 1 of 135
1
2
3
11
51
101
... LastLast
  1. #1

    It's not Nostalgia.

    Seriously, shut up with the "Blah blah nostalgia goggles! Your argument is invalid due to NOSTALGIA!"

    The game as it is now is not even remotely close to what was released during the birth of the MMORPG genre. People who loved the MMORPG genre of old, those who played original Runescape, Everquest, and Vanilla WoW can attest to the current state of World of Warcraft having very little resemblance to the true MMORPG genre. The MMORPG genre was founded on IMMERSION not convenience.

    The games, at their core, were completely designed around IMMERSION. Everything they did and planned was constantly revolved around making it the most immersive experience possible. Now, it's solely designed around convenience.

    let's have a closer look...

    Vanilla Talent Tree


    MoP Talent Tree


    (Courtesy of http://www.gkick.net/2011/11/a-histo...-talent-trees/)

    Traveling for the majority of your levels in Vanilla:


    and

    http://wowvault.ign.com/locations/im...s-Alliance.jpg

    Traveling in MoP:


    and



    Dungeoning in Vanilla:


    Dungeoning in MoP:


    Raiding in Vanilla:


    Raiding in MoP:



    Some may like the game more with all the changes, some may like it less. But, fact is, it has very, very little in common with Vanilla and even Burning Crusade versions in which many of us joined. It's not nostalgia with the game being so incredibly different than what was released.

    The MMORPG genre wasn't about every single person being shuffled through the content to make sure they see everything and get every item they wanted. It was, "Here's the world, go do whatever you will do. Good luck not getting your ass kicked."

    Anyone wanna post more comparison items?
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-12-02 at 03:52 PM. Reason: removed image causing malware warnings

  2. #2
    Your point seems to be that the game was different.

    I doubt many would argue with that.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  3. #3
    Good games evolve with time, and WoW certainly has. My biggest issue is that the game feels less like an adventure and more like a group of systems or tools designed to progress your character these days.
    Just calm down.
    My Stream - My Youtube Channel

  4. #4
    Definition of nostalgia according to Wiktionary:

    1. A longing for home or familiar surroundings; homesickness.
    2. A bittersweet yearning for the things of the past.
    3. Reminiscence of the speaker's childhood or younger years.

    It is nostalgia.

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,204
    I feel like all the changes the have done to the game are sort of a Pandora's box, there isn't anyway we can go backwards now.

    Also I really agree with what Henako said.

  6. #6
    People aren't saying the game is the same now, and that the only reason people think it was different is because of nostalgia.

    People are saying the game is better now than it was then, and the only reason people think it was better before is because of nostalgia.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  7. #7
    All your post did was remind me how much better the game is now for ALL players.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Frunken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,151
    Have a feeling you don't remember the original incarnation of summon stones.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    Definition of nostalgia according to Wiktionary:

    1. A longing for home or familiar surroundings; homesickness.
    2. A bittersweet yearning for the things of the past.
    3. Reminiscence of the speaker's childhood or younger years.

    It is nostalgia.
    By that definition, considering everything we do is in the past, even if it's in the past couple of seconds, everything we know and remember is nostalgia.

    What the OP is annoyed by is probably more the case of people claiming nostalgia is clouding your judgement and you mostly only remember the good things, and have forgotten the bad, as humans tend to do over time.

  10. #10
    World PvP in Vanilla:


    World PvP in MoP:
    Last edited by Rivelle; 2013-04-25 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Resized Image

  11. #11
    You're also purposefully taking the cool aspects of Vanilla and comparing it to what you feel are the bad aspects of MoP. You're also using pictures way to big, so knock that shit off.

    ALSO, that second picture that you've entitled "world pvp in mop" is from Burning Crusade, so I guess what you're really saying is that Burning Cruasde sucked.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    It's not nostalgia with the game being so incredibly different than what was released.
    Can't really argue that it hasn't changed. Streamlining and making so many things available via ui elements certainly had huge impacts on the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    It is nostalgia.
    You read the thread title and watched a couple pictures. I congratulate you for achieving that.

  13. #13
    It looks like you don't understand that the discussions/flame wars come from the people that state their opinion as fact when they say that the game was better/worse in X period of time, the game has changed and nobody is denying that because it is not possible... some people like it more now and some don't, not to mention that everybody will feel nostalgia when remembering the time in which they were new to the game.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    World PvP in MoP:
    It was the same in Burning Crusade, Wrath and Cataclysm though.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    World PvP in Vanilla:

    World PvP in MoP:
    And nothing of value was lost.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  16. #16
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    People aren't saying the game is the same now, and that the only reason people think it was different is because of nostalgia.

    People are saying the game is better now than it was then, and the only reason people think it was better before is because of nostalgia.
    I think the game was better then, I really hate what the game has become. LFG, LFR, and daily's to run every week. It's just busywork.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    All your post did was remind me how much better the game is now for ALL players.
    I disagree, more convenient maybe but this is a game I don't want everything to be easy and placed on a nice silver platter for me!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I think the game was better then, I really hate what the game has become. LFG, LFR, and daily's to run every week. It's just busywork.
    You clearly didn't play during Vanilla.

    I disagree, more convenient maybe but this is a game I don't want everything to be easy and placed on a nice silver platter for me!
    Not everything is easy. You just choose to only do the easy things.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  18. #18
    Field Marshal AltimitEin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind giant stone gates
    Posts
    54
    1: Pointless, mandatory skills are fun? Okay, everyone likes different things I guess.
    2: People complain about leveling being boring enough as it is, so lets add walking, too!
    3: So, because people don't have to 2: to dungeons anymore, it's worse?
    4: Vanilla raids did not consist of both factions standing around an area taking pictures. It involved 40 people (about 10 being filler bodies) throwing themselves at bosses with the same 3 mechanics over and over. Raid finder is not raiding, you don't see raid guilds forming to raid finder, so that part is hardly relevant.

    People also say they aren't in denial when - in fact - they are. People can say whatever they want, that's the joy of the internet. Your opinion vs mine.

    By the by, opening a topic with "Seriously shut up" sounds like you're insisting that everyone else's opinion is < yours. If you don't want to read them, don't. Live and let live.

  19. #19
    Vanilla was disgusting and Im glad the game has changed so much, there was nothing better about vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I think this thread proves that in WotLK, not only has being bad and lazy become acceptable, but a defendable position and point of pride for some people.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I think the game was better then, I really hate what the game has become. LFG, LFR, and daily's to run every week. It's just busywork.
    More content for non-raiders makes the game full of busywork? You're just jaded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •