View Poll Results: Which style of invasion do you want for Draenor?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • TBC, WotLK style: You are a soldier in your factions large-scale invasion.

30 66.67%
  • Cata, MoP: You are a special agent going in before your faction, helping out faction-neutral races.

9 20.00%
  • I have no opinion on the matter.

6 13.33%

Which style of invasion do you want for Draenor?

So, with 4 expansions being released, we've seen two ways of approaching the new continents. In the first two expansions (TBC and WotLK), you were a soldier in a large-scale invasion. We went to a lot of different bases (horde or alliance) and helped the encampments out in their missions of controlling the area. I still remember setting my foot in Valiance Landing and after the first quests walked up on the plains and saw a huge stronghold, being Warsong Hold. This already made me anticipate playing a character from the other side. I also fondly remember walking into Honor Hold, Sylvanaar and Allerian stronghold for the first time back in TBC.

With Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria, we engage with the new world in a different way. We are now special agents, going into faction-neutral bases and receiving our orders there. We help out the locals the way we can, and we are in the new world way ahead of our own factions. While this makes the continent perhaps more mysterious and "unexplored", I think I prefer the way of TBC and WotLK, where our specific factions are heavily involved in the invasion.

My hope is that WoD will reintroduce this concept, as the horde goes with the Frostwolves and the alliance supports the Draenei. What do you think, what style do you most prefer?

I think your description of Cataclysm is a little off. When it came to Hyjal, Deepholm, and Uldum, we weren't really ahead of our faction; our faction had almost nothing to do with those zones at all, and they were purely neutral. Furthermore, Twilight Highlands had exactly the kind of introduction you explained for Wrath of the Lich King (which had its share of neutral zones as well) and The Burning Crusade.

Regardless, from what we've heard so far, the introduction to Draenor is supposed to be a sort of "suicide mission." That is, we get sent through the portal to the other side to stop the Iron Horde from further invading after their initial attack. I'm not really sure what sort of introduction on the Draenor-side that'll entail, but I'm with you in that I prefer the more Alliance/Horde-centered intro.

BC or Wrath's, if I could choose. I imagine we'll get something like MoP's though: a "scouting party" or whatever before more and more Horde and Alliance forces arrive. It seems self-defeating to immediately step into Draenor with armies at our beck and call; it would just overshadow the Frostwolves and Karabor draenei.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I think your description of Cataclysm is a little off. When it came to Hyjal, Deepholm, and Uldum, we weren't really ahead of our faction; our faction had almost nothing to do with those zones at all, and they were purely neutral. Furthermore, Twilight Highlands had exactly the kind of introduction you explained for Wrath of the Lich King (which had its share of neutral zones as well) and The Burning Crusade.
    Yeah that's definitely true, it's not black and white. But the zones that had nothing to do with our factions kind of fits into the 2nd category, and not the other, so I just lumped it in with that. Twilight Highlands is an exception I agree.

Special agent was cool...but lonely.

I'd like a mix. They've already said that the start of WoD would be us on a suicide mission against the Dark Portal, so it's clear they're going with the "special agent" feel. But we're not helping neutral races this time, we're helping Orcs and Draenei who are firmly going to allign with one faction.
    You don't create "justice" by destroying. That includes buildings, cars, or the careers of the people you want "justice" for.