Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Ok, a few issues. Cable isn't ADSL. Cable is Cable. I live in the U.S. so our standards for communication are different from yours, but if you are paying for a 24MB connection, contact your isp, as posted above most likely an isp issue with speeds that shitty.

Also ping ms does not correlate to your speed. That is just the time it takes to travel from your pc to the server you are pinging. Try pinging an IP address for a U.S. server and you can see the difference. If you are just pinging www.google.com the nearest DNS server is just routing you to the nearest google server. For more info check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_%2...ing_utility%29

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    My internet at "home home" (non uni flat) is between 50-60kbs, I live a mile up the mountains, and even if we werent that far up, our turn off is miles from the exchange, believe me, it can be stupidly low, and yes everyone complains about the bandwith, people have sued and won but most of the time its tough shit really, hell theres still some part of Wales on dial up, and can't receive broadband still/

Edit:

I shit you not, initial wow installation took 7 days to complete, while each expansion took 3 days
    been there, don't miss it. Not that I have much better (12mb) I could not go back to those speeds again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomken View Post
    Everytime I try to Que for LFR, the game completely crashes. WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    It's probably trying to save you a headache.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    73 its not bad if your using your ISP dns with automatic configuration with no static IP. Try searching GW2 Ports in tech support it should be able to supply the ports since 90% of online games need to give info for firewalls. There will be TCP and UDP for certain stuff like chat download peer patcher and so on. If you want to get into detail download CurrPorts v2.10 it logs every ports that are open and what programs are using it. Don't be surprised if browsers use up 50-100 ports for 1 tab

I am starting to think that it's an ISP issue only

I will be later looking in the router for any problems. Yeah, in Greece it's common knowledge that we get half of what we pay, and that if you are lucky enough when we are talking about internet connections. I will also execute the steps for the malware detection, although I really doubt that there's any or at least serious malware in my computer. I am extremely careful with it for many years now, and I've never gotten anything bad. It might be the 1st time, but I also know that a virus/trojan or anything is really unlikely to mess with the internet connection

I will try to check the other pcs around the house to see their speed. Could it be an ISP issue if the other pcs are fine and mine is not?

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    73 its not bad if your using your ISP dns with automatic configuration with no static IP. Try searching GW2 Ports in tech support it should be able to supply the ports since 90% of online games need to give info for firewalls. There will be TCP and UDP for certain stuff like chat download peer patcher and so on. If you want to get into detail download CurrPorts v2.10 it logs every ports that are open and what programs are using it. Don't be surprised if browsers use up 50-100 ports for 1 tab
    50-100 is a little high. Different services require different ports. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_%2..._networking%29

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktank View Post
    50-100 is a little high. Different services require different ports. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_%2..._networking%29
    tell that to google lol

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    I will try to check the other pcs around the house to see their speed. Could it be an ISP issue if the other pcs are fine and mine is not?
    If the other PC's are fine and connecting at much higher speeds, then it could be your PC. If it's wireless, it could be hardware (either the router or wireless in PC). If you are using a patch cable, could be that or your NIC (network card). It could be your operating system (viruses, etc.) if the other pc's are fine and you are on a wireless connection, plug it in and test it. If the speed is fine, troubleshoot the router first, then PC wireless. If it is still slow and the rest are fine, I would just reload your OS. Back up your data and wipe it. It will be the easiest solution, if it is just your PC.

Ehm...

This is... totally unexpected...

I went sad and then afk for like 2 hours. I come back to the pc and I am starting to notice that the Internet is unusually fast(!). I go over at speedtest.net and do a speed test... 7.0MB/sec download speed is the result. Should I be worried? xD Can I take almost for granted that they were doing something and they were dumb enough to not notify anyone?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Ehm...

This is... totally unexpected...

I went sad and then afk for like 2 hours. I come back to the pc and I am starting to notice that the Internet is unusually fast(!). I go over at speedtest.net and do a speed test... 7.0MB/sec download speed is the result. Should I be worried? xD Can I take almost for granted that they were doing something and they were dumb enough to not notify anyone?
    Guess it was part of maintenance or construction near your neighborhood sometimes my speed drops when its raining or high wind then picks up when it calms down. Or when solar flare activity in summer, but yeah good thing is back for now. If it happens again give them a call and hope who ever answers knows about networking 60% of the time when i call for my cables frequency range power level upstream and downstream and so on they don't know what im talking about so im on the phone for 3 hours.

Thing is, it was over the weekend that this problem happened so I couldn't make the call. Let's just hope it will stay as is now, and they be smart enough to notify beforehand for things like that. I was very upset.