Wireless Adapter

I bought a Netgear A6200 like a month ago and it decided ~today that it wanted to stop working and disconnect every 2-3 minutes. After some googling it seems this is a pretty common problem w/ this particular adapter.

I've tried everything *I* could think of to fix it, and unfortunately haven't been able to get through to Netgear support all day. Was really just hoping for advice on a good adapter to buy, but any ideas/fixes for the one I have would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks

Looking at the reviews you aren't the only person with this issue.

"Pros: Elegant design, Fast when it works, USB Cradle helps placement

Cons: Absolutely useless on Windows 8 or 8.1 (64-bit) along with their phone tech support.

Constant disconnects (this is the third review I wrote -the first 2 were lost when I got disconnected mid session; this time I wrote it in word firs and copied and pasted!).

Since Netgear seems to be paying attention too the Newegg reviews, here are the steps I've taken:

1 - Installed it on a fresh Windows 8 install along with a new WNDR4300. Used the latest driver available 1.0.0.26.

2 - Uninstalled and re-installed the driver several times, both the stand-alone and the one with Genie.

3 - Called tech support who had me uninstall and re-install everything the same way I had already done, multiple times. They denied anyone else with Windows 8 was having issues.

4 - I did not like Windows 8, so went back to Windows 7 and it workled perfectly for the last 3 months.

5 - Wiped system and installed Windows 8.1 x64. Same problems as before. Called Netgear to ask for a time frame for the next driver. They AGAIN denied anyone else was having issues.

6 - Went looking around the internet for solutions and other people with the same problem. There are many, so I did the following -all without any difference on the constant, random disconnects:
    - -6.1: Set device manager option "Minimum Power Consumption" to "Disabled".
    - -6.2: Disabled the "Netgear A6200" service.
    - -6.3: Tried both available drivers on Netgear's website: 1.0.0.23 and 1.0.0.18
    - -6.4: Disabled all sleep/hibernation options on my system.

7 - I still have constant disconnects and they are random. Sometimes it will be in the middle of browsing Reddit, checking email, or having the PC alone, doing nothing. I come back to it and it disconnects.

8 - It seems that I am luckier than other users I have seen because but pulling and re-inserting the device from its cable gets me back immediately. This is no relief when I am composing a review on Newegg, though...

Other Thoughts: Netgear, please do not ask me to email you and work out the issue.

Please tell your tech support to stop telling people that "I" am the first one to call about that problem. A simple Google search and you lose a ton of credibility.

It is obvious that you need to improve on the driver ASAP. For me, you have another 10 days before my return deadline expires. If there is no working driver available I will be returning both the router and USB adapter for something that works with Windows 8."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122490
    Last edited by Revolutions; 2013-12-08 at 09:50 AM.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

try to set wireless mode to 802.11 B only on your wifi router, it may help..it's limited to ~5mbit but sometimes it's more stable than when adapter is jumping between b g n

make sure you are connecting to the 2.4 GHZ and not the 5.
    I have absolutely no idea what this means.

I did how ever pick up 2 of these and they work flawlessly so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704045
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Konik View Post
    try to set wireless mode to 802.11 B only on your wifi router, it may help..it's limited to ~5mbit but sometimes it's more stable than when adapter is jumping between b g n
    Or how to do this.