View Poll Results: should pre mop ore and herbs be removed?

Voters
286. This poll is closed
  • yes they would server no purpose

33 11.54%
  • no i think they may still have their uses

227 79.37%
  • unsure/indifferent

26 9.09%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

is it time to remove them?

with the ability to level herbing and mining in pandaria now and the ability to level blacksmithing with only ghost iron dose any1 else think its about time to make engineering the same and get rid of the old world ore?

theres going to be canges to proffessions next xpac. granted i may have missed somthign but they could just change everything for alchmey and inscripton t to need only mop herbs and with JC they said theres going to be very few gem slots so the could sinply just remove all the old stuff excpt for the jewelery and make them require mop mats.

what do you guys think?

poll inc

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I think its terrible that they already adjusted so many professions to be a Quick Level. Spoon feeding every player everything outside of Mythic raiding to get them to level cap easily is pretty terrible. It's rewarding for nothing...I may be in the minority with this one, but with everything else so easily accessible by the lowest common denominator of the player base crafting should be left alone.

So what happens if you join as a new player, or start on a new server?

kinda badly phrased poll options, but I would hate it to see all old world stuff removed!

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    what do you guys think?
    I think we found Scotland's next spelling bee champion.

Infracted for flaming
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-12-10 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    To be honest I think its terrible that they already adjusted so many professions to be a Quick Level. Spoon feeding every player everything outside of Mythic raiding to get them to level cap easily is pretty terrible. It's rewarding for nothing...I may be in the minority with this one, but with everything else so easily accessible by the lowest common denominator of the player base crafting should be left alone.
    while i agree im kind of wondering what changes they will make to proffessions, wiht the lack of sockets on gear i think JC will get a overhaul andget rid of most of the gesms also knowing that hit and expertiese are going.

only good thing i can think of is that if you get bored while questing while leveling you can still go pick flowers/mine some nodes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    So what happens if you join as a new player, or start on a new server?
    that would be 1 of the draw backs to removing them yes and it would just mean you'd wait till 85 to level your profs, yes its bad i know
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2013-12-09 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted
    Poorly phrased as its not impartial. Agree with what post #2 said.

Imo easy street and changing the uniqueness of materials plus even further dumbing down diminishes the game. Way to go blizz.

Leveling Blacksmithing with just ghost iron ore is not really feasible or very smart. Last I checked that exchange rate was far worse then just buying the proper mats.

Their are several things I view as problems with professions none of which have anything to do with mats. You need raw materials for any kind of profession system to work no matter what it is. So removing herbs,ore,dust,ect would really serve no purpose.

Part of the problem is that profession leveling does not keep any sort of pace with character leveling. You will often completely out level zones and start receiving the next teir of mats before you even remotely have enough of the raw materials to finish the last tier. think of the silk -> mageweave->runelcoth. Buy the time you get enough mageweave your already level 60 and receiving neatherweave.

The second part of this problem is that gear you actually get from crafting does also not keep pace with leveling. Much of the gear and early profession stuff was designed around a time were it was supposed to supplement questing gear and be a bit below some of the stuff dungeonwise you could get. It was very uncommon during the early days to see someone running around in all blues at any level. Now with the implantation of heirlooms and LFD their is a hardly a reason to not be running around in all blues, furthermore anything you could possibly craft would be way behind ilevel wise from your heirlooms or even something you could get out of a dungeon.

Additional benefits of leveling a profession while leveling were supposed to include additional sources of income for the player. Players would take the raw mats make gear for that level range and then post it on the AH so that players that didn't have those professions could then get gear that would help them continue to level. Heirlooms completely obliterated the market for any socket they happened to occupy. Trying to sell any crafted chest or shoulder pieces is almost a fools hope, you certainly will not get their moneys worth on the AH especially when you compare them to their raw mats cost. Which leads to another problem

Every single thing you craft you now craft at a loss of value. Just ask yourself some simple questions what sells better a azure silk hood or a stack of silk? Which will get you more money? which requires a profession to collect?...yea. The raw mat simply sell better simply because everyone knows that everyone NEEDS them in order to level a profession. But nobody NEEDS a azure silk hood.

Which brings me to the green gear trickle down from the next expansion. Everyone knows about this, you get to level ranges 58-60, 66-70, 76-80, 83-85, and you start buying the low level greens from the next expansion that have ilevels on part with some of the latest tiers of the expansion your currently working on. I know blizz is going to sort of address this with the ilevel squish but for right now its in full effect and whats worse is that there is nothing you could possibly craft except late tier epics that are both
    A) Gated behind rep requirements at that expansions max level and
    B) Gated behind mats at that expansions max level.
    C) Gated behind max profession level for that expansion.

You simply cannot compete with any of that. Blizzard may as well just have you go to the trainer and pay him 10,000g to give you 600 profession level in whatever because every single thing about them is useless except what is current.

Deleted
    Quite a good post Jumlow and I agree with most of it. When blizz makes changes it does so without enough thought to knock on effects. As you say the lower level professions are pointless in terms of making money as the gear has no relevance becayse of heirloom, gear or the leveling process being so fast gear doesnt last long enough to be relevant. If its not useful, then its just vendor trash.

Only thing I disagree with you about is leveling staying relevant to the zone. That is something you just plan imo and you can by en large stay on parity or just wait till you are a high level and splirge at the end. The one nice thing they did was give experience for gathering. In some zones I just gathered when i got bored of questing.

All signs are the response is to make mats less unique and easier to get. Part of the game was having knowledge of how to obtain mats and from where.

They shouldn't be removed, there's things that they are needed to and it makes it possible to level these proffesions on low levels.

I voted Yes, but the actual answer is I'd rather see a lot of "crap" cut (elementals, for instance, and junk herbs) while most "common place" items remain there. For instance, remove shit like Core of Earth but leave things behind such as Thorium Ore/Bars. Can remove Enchanted Thorium probably.

I wouldn't want to see those mats out of irrelevance for leveling old professions, but I'd rather see the process more streamlined. Trying to skip "dry spells" isn't fun in the least bit.

I like the Blacksmith catch-up plan to a point also. I'd rather see it rewarding to make people buy current content mats to level, but also make leveling require a rather extreme amount to make professions an investment - and provide a return once you hit cap!

Why would you remove them? Just for faster profession leveling? What would happen to all the items and recipes that are made using old world herbs/ores? Don't remove them, for pete's sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Older resources are STILL used even now, it'll cripple the leveling experience, removing them serves NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER, it'll take MORE work to remove them then to live it in, ect, ect.

Retarded idea is retarded. Literally- removing pre-MoP materials will only serve to retard the game in so many ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    These were just band-aid fixes to the real problem. I suppose Garrisons will make profs fully leveling free, where the farm only partly succeded.

I dont think they need to be removed but then again I havent leveled a profession with gathering my own mats since BC so Im not sure how it is now a days to do so.

They need to do SOMETHING with how you level professions.

On my server it's currently impossible to level tailoring without shelling out a fortune - and I'm only talking about levels 350-500 alone. Frostweave and embersilk are 100-200-300g/stack after the Deepholme trogg spot and treasure finding potions were nerfed (this also bumped hypnotic dust up to 500g+ /stack, which made it 10x more expensive to make the best green bags for alts)

I've only ever leveled leatherworking once, but I had to also level a skinner at the same time due to there never being old leather on the AH

Quote Originally Posted by barial View Post
    They need to do SOMETHING with how you level professions.

On my server it's currently impossible to level tailoring without shelling out a fortune - and I'm only talking about levels 350-500 alone. Frostweave and embersilk are 100-200-300g/stack after the Deepholme trogg spot and treasure finding potions were nerfed (this also bumped hypnotic dust up to 500g+ /stack, which made it 10x more expensive to make the best green bags for alts)

I've only ever leveled leatherworking once, but I had to also level a skinner at the same time due to there never being old leather on the AH
    I just leveled tailoring this week for under 2k gold /shrug. Frostweave is easy to get, farm the Converted Hero AoE packs in Icecrown. Embersilk is easy as well, Potion of Treasure Finding and then do a few quests in Deepholm til you get to one that has you kill 12 troggs by Stonehearth. There are mobs everywhere and you are phased as long as you keep that quest Or quest up til Malthias's Command in Twilight Highlands, similar endless supply of mobs for embersilk and treasure boxes.

Professions are not hard to level if you know how to use Google imo.

nope, leave them how they are. you heard the cries about WoD no flying, how about those that would complain they can't make gold on lowbies cause of no ore, herbs, enchant mats, cloth. you might think it's a good idea on paper but if you really think how it affects the community you'll see how much they're needed

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    couldnt agree more.

the reason this topic came to mind was because they said they were making changes to the proffessions and this is what i thoufght would be there, tho im seeing people buying my dks vinnila mettals

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    nope, leave them how they are. you heard the cries about WoD no flying, how about those that would complain they can't make gold on lowbies cause of no ore, herbs, enchant mats, cloth. you might think it's a good idea on paper but if you really think how it affects the community you'll see how much they're needed
    i dont like it but its 1 of the things 1 thought they may do with the professions in warlords