Legendary quests are boring! (Suggestions to improve them)

Something I've been thinking about for a while now is how utterly 'mundane' almost all legendary quests are. What I mean is that the quest itself isn't particularly engaging or challenging or fun. Sure you have those cool little solo challenges/scenarios once or twice, but probably 95% of any legendary questline is just collecting orange 'fragments' from raid bosses that you'd be killing regardless - you aren't required to do anything you wouldn't already be doing and this is what makes them feel boring to me.

It feels like legendary quests are stuck in a rut, and I'd like to suggest some things to really get the players more engaged in these quests and try to make them a bit more fun and compelling to play.

Any legendary quest is traditionally comprised of around three sections or phases, and typically they are all raidboss collection quests but I'd like to replace one or more of those sections with special world content and/or special scenarios. So for example one section of the questline will incorporate elements of patch 5.1's weekly lore quests, followed by a special outdoor solo boss and event.

Idea 1:
    Instead of raidboss fragment collection, you will embark on a series of challenging weekly quests that will send you out into the depths of a different zone each time where you'll have to locate the exact destination from clues, requiring the player to explore some. Once located you will take part in a phased outdoor event which could be anything from protecting NPCs, fighting waves of mobs or even solving a physical puzzle. After this you will then defeat a special solo boss of reasonably challenging difficulty.

Each weekly quest will engage the player in lore-based events, much like the 5.1 quests. This will continue for 4-5 weeks or so, until you've competed all, after which you will move onto more traditional raid quests.

Idea 2:
    Another idea is to introduce a special kind of weekly scenario in which you will progress one section of a legendary quest. Similar to the 5.2 Treasure Troves scenario, you will only have one attempt per week, and the amount of quest progress you attain will be based on how well you perform. This scenario, like the suggested world events above, will be difficult, but not extremely hard.

The actual scenario will include elite monsters, obstacles, a bit of platforming and possibly even a puzzle or two. The scenario will be timed but will not have a time limit -- Completing the scenario will always award some fragments/progress, no matter how badly you performed or how long you took. But reaching the end within a certain time will award a greater amount of fragments/progress.

At the end of the scenario, after the timed section, you will fight an extremely difficult boss which you will only have one attempt to beat per week. If you beat him you will attain a greater amount of fragments/progress, but if not you will leave the scenario with however much fragments/progress you had otherwise earned. Most players should be able to complete the timed section, but only some will be able to beat the boss.

The purpose of these suggestions are not to make legendary questlines more 'difficult' but to make them more fun and engaging, to spice them up a bit, so we aren't just doing the same old thing we'd be doing anyway. Obviously the quests should include raid content too, I just don't think they should be 100% just farming raid bosses, as they have been in the past.

I hope maybe Blizzard will see these and be inspired to improve the boring old legendary model.

DISCLAIMER: On the off-chance that Blizzard do notice this and would like to use it I relinquish all 'rights' to this idea and give Blizzard full permission to use it any way they choose without obligation to compensate me.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-12-10 at 03:44 AM.

I really enjoyed the staff quest. Great story, grinding was mudane but bearable, and I really loved some of the stuff they had me do.

This quest was dull and mindless, but it had to be accessible to everybody.

Lol - love the disclaimer.

And I would support more inventive additions to legendary quests besides grinding raids. Yes, you should raid. No, you should not have to grind them. Just complete them while they are relevant. Then, have other fun stuff to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    i agree that Legendary quests need to be more like your suggestions. i dont feel very Legendary after collecting my 50th .2% droprate shard after killing a boss that my team would normally have on farm anyway.

i do however feel much more Legendary when i am required to do something extra during a boss fight, much like the Dragonwrath quest in Firelands, that had players dealing with certain abilities during the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Lol - love the disclaimer.

And I would support more inventive additions to legendary quests besides grinding raids. Yes, you should raid. No, you should not have to grind them. Just complete them while they are relevant. Then, have other fun stuff to do.
    I like this idea. I think it would be interesting for you to:

1) collect a quest item of corruption from boss 1-4
    2) obtain a totem from the shamans
    3) loot 3 items from Thok that he gets from consuming the caged people (so he has to eat all 3)
    4) take the role of one Klaxxi paragon
    5) Get the sha residue from Garrosh

Through this you have: purged sha from Pandaria, freed the elements from the shamans, returned items to the races that Thok had eaten, taken control of the mantid who were still following the old god, and stopped Garrosh. Then the celestial a reward you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i agree that Legendary quests need to be more like your suggestions. i dont feel very Legendary after collecting my 50th .2% droprate shard after killing a boss that my team would normally have on farm anyway.

i do however feel much more Legendary when i am required to do something extra during a boss fight, much like the Dragonwrath quest in Firelands, that had players dealing with certain abilities during the fight.
    Yeah. Somehow it doesn't feel very legendary, and certainly doesn't feel like an actual quest.

I mean what do you actually do for your legendaries? You click on an NPC, click accept then just play as normal until a notification tells you you've "completed the legendary quest". We really need to get more involved in these things. Legendary quests should be exciting and engaging - the quest itself should be legendary, making use of all sorts of mechanics, instead of just waiting for that yellow popup....

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this idea. It certainly sounds more interesting and engaging than 'collect x number of sigils/stones/boss mob rectums/whatever that have a ridiculously small drop rate' followed by 'you will by god PVP for this PVE item even though the BGs in question have absolutely zero to do with the lore or the item or PVE in general and you will LIKE IT you bitch'.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

My rogue quest killed my desire (And my entire guild's I think) for any organized raiding. The beginning was okay and then.....

Go kill these bosses 50 times.

Cool, now go kill them 50 more times.

Brutal. I should have just abandoned the damn thing. Nothing like farm content when you cant take an alt.

I really enjoyed the lore of talking to wrathion after completing part of the legendary questline

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well part of what makes it legendary is that players have run raids and obtained multiple items/objects etc. (even if it does mean running the same raid constantly!). There's a lot of hard work and dedication to obtaining this awesome weapon, and yes, lore behind it can be fun as well. Wrathion's development, the Twin Blades and Dragonwrath being notable (for me, at least).

For actual improvements, I can't really think of anyway to make them different without making it less arduous to get them. I'd like to see a 'Drop-only Weapon' brought back-Thori'dal was the last one.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?