Thread: No Man's Sky

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a long video, maybe some guidance or is it really early on?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It's a long video, maybe some guidance or is it really early on?
    It's right at the beginning.
    There's more later on, but just more of what's at the beginning.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Isn't he dead yet?

Please post productively and on-topic. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-01-06 at 05:48 PM.

Deleted
    Another one departs from HG, doesn't seem on good terms/mood.

"Goodbye Hello. After 2 1/2 years being strapped to the NMS freight-train I'm off to go sit in the dark and push my thumbs into my eyes"

Even his side bar notes are "Dead-eyed code wonk. Previously: No Man's Sky @ Hello / Lionhead Incubation (RIP) "

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Sounds like HG is falling apart quickly. Very fucking quickly indeed.
    Well, their huge visionary concepts ended to be a very mediocre space exploration game with a decent at best patch and basically the worst ever marketing i can remember in modern days.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Started actually playing it after barely touching it on release, and I'm not seeing what all the drama is about. It gets a bit repetitive, and gathering resources all the time is kind of lame, but that's the only real downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Started actually playing it after barely touching it on release, and I'm not seeing what all the drama is about. It gets a bit repetitive, and gathering resources all the time is kind of lame, but that's the only real downside.
    Mostly to do with how they bullshitted the people before launch with things such as Multiplayer. It basically still has that bad rep haunting it. Which I can't blame it for to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flubbed marketing aside, I feel that the problems with NMS (and procedural generation in general) still stand out...

Sure you can explore the galaxy, but if its just something some computer spat out with no thought... so what? It's basically just staring at a shiny random number generator at that point.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Flubbed marketing aside, I feel that the problems with NMS (and procedural generation in general) still stand out...

Sure you can explore the galaxy, but if its just something some computer spat out with no thought... so what? It's basically just staring at a shiny random number generator at that point.
    That shiny random number generator set me up with a nice house on a beautiful rocky shore with friendly wildlife and exquisite flora.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    That shiny random number generator set me up with a nice house on a beautiful rocky shore with friendly wildlife and exquisite flora.
    That's great.

See a thousand more planets with rocky shores and the same flora and fauna with slightly different color palettes and it's not so intriguing anymore.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A purple eight legged fishdog may be different from a green six legged fishdog in a computer's eyes by a wide number of variables, but not so much in a human's.

The problem with procedural generation is always the fact that you start to see the underlying strands that are tying everything together. That really serves to suck the "discovery" out of things when you can see the exact same 1s and 0s tying everything together.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    That's great.

See a thousand more planets with rocky shores and the same flora and fauna with slightly different color palettes and it's not so intriguing anymore.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A purple eight legged fishdog may be different from a green six legged fishdog in a computer's eyes by a wide number of variables, but not so much in a human's.

The problem with procedural generation is always the fact that you start to see the underlying strands that are tying everything together. That really serves to suck the "discovery" out of things when you can see the exact same 1s and 0s tying everything together.
    The newest update helps with that. Specifically designed to make random planet generation more drastic. I've definitely noticed an improvement, and I liked the game before.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still stand by my stance that its enjoyable for a sub £15 game. Any more than that and its not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I still stand by my stance that its enjoyable for a sub £15 game. Any more than that and its not worth it.
    And I stand by mine that it's worth nothing and is on par with games such as Big Rigs and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties kind of bad. LJN made better games in the 80s and they were notorious for the really poor quality of games. Especially franchise ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Thus why many went for subnautica instead.
    777 in a 24 hour peak on Steam Charts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And I stand by mine that it's worth nothing and is on par with games such as Big Rigs and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties kind of bad. LJN made better games in the 80s and they were notorious for the really poor quality of games. Especially franchise ones.

- - - Updated - - -

One is at least functionally working the others are not. As it's your opinion though I can't say you're wrong but I don't know why or how you can justify that.

Steamspy:
    Subnautica - Owners: 1,240,952 ± 31,765 - source http://steamspy.com/app/264710
    No Man's Sky - Owners: 824,457 ± 25,906 - source: http://steamspy.com/app/275850

Subnautica wins again. Sorry buddy, but Subnautica is a superior game when compared to No Man's Sky and maaany will agree on that

Wherever I hear or see people wanting to try No Man's Sky I immediately suggest them Subnautica and later I hear that Subnautica is amazing and it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Steamspy:
    No Man's Sky - Owners: 824,457 ± 25,906 - source: http://steamspy.com/app/275850

Subnautica wins again. Sorry buddy, but Subnautica is a superior game when compared to No Man's Sky and maaany will agree on that

Wherever I hear or see people wanting to try No Man's Sky I immediately suggest them Subnautica and later I hear that Subnautica is amazing and it is.
    I was not referring to Subnautica. I meant No Mans Sky when I said 777 on Steam charts. I tell people to get it as well. It's a brilliant game for what it is.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Steamspy:

Subnautica wins again.
    Wins in what?

Look at the playtime total - players play subnautica less than nms on average. Means lots of people just bought it because someone recommended it - and never played it and never refunded. NMS was refunded a lot and it shows.

In the end NMS earned more money thanks to the price tag.

Statistics is funny like that.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I was not referring to Subnautica. I meant No Mans Sky when I said 777 on Steam charts. I tell people to get it as well. It's a brilliant game for what it is.
    Ah, my mistake, accept my apologies sir.

I agree on Subnautica.

Deleted
    Welp, here's your chance to work for HG
    Surprised it's not posted on HGs tweets, but is on SMs instead.