Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asics View Post
    I'm not religious but I celebrate Christmas with my family. It isn't about Christmas though; if my family celebrated Hanukkah or Kwanzaa together I would with them as well. Christmas as a holiday just so happens to be the medium of our family coming together.
    Be happy with your family during the holidays. But that's with you and your family, not with all the kids in a school forced to sit there. That's the point I'm trying to get across. You and everyone else and their families are free to believe and worship whoever and whatever they want. But when a school facilitates any of that and makes everyone participate, it's crossing the line and going against the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by eros701 View Post
    Christianity basically tells non-Christians that there is only one way to get into heaven and if you don't...you're going to burn in hell forever.
    Fixed that for you.

I... don't get it. How do you pass a law to say there isn't a law against something?

This whole debate is ridiculous. Maybe we should have a war over the fact Odin, Thor and Freya still have their names in our days of the week as well? Christmas is where Christianity went to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Be happy with your family during the holidays. But that's with you and your family, not with all the kids in a school forced to sit there. That's the point I'm trying to get across. You and everyone else and their families are free to believe and worship whoever and whatever they want. But when a school facilitates any of that and makes everyone participate, it's crossing the line and going against the Constitution.
    Since when has anyone been caring about the constitution? It gets spit on and ripped up on a daily basis by liberals and means hardly anything at a federal level anymore and now you expect after it being ignored and people saying "oh that's a just an old peice of paper" for all of a sudden for that to mean something?

Can't go running and crying to the constitution when you don't get your way after being an instrument in it's destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Only if you want to slap a religious meaning onto it. Texas is viewing no different than a statue of Zeus or a picture of the Easter bunny.
    With the way people seems to be offended with every little thing, I won't be surprised if a new cult worship our dear Mother Earth, someone will be offen... Oh wait I am already too late ain't it?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    merry christmas sounds nicer than happy holidays.
    that is my only thing to say about this topic.
    And nothing sounds more retarded then someone calling a Christmas party a holiday party. People are so afraid of offending minorities these days. Fuck em I say, if they don't like our traditions then they can go to back to whatever shit hole they came from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    And nothing sounds more retarded then someone calling a Christmas party a holiday party. People are so afraid of offending minorities these days. Fuck em I say, if they don't like our traditions then they can go to back to whatever shit hole they came from.
    Err, there are quite a few non christian Texan people. Where do you suppose they go?

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Its not enforcing or restricting particular religions, its protecting the right of people to partake in a particular holiday. How many nonbeliever/atheist in this thread have already stated that they celebrate Christmas?
    We have a system to decide this shit already. When you have government endorsing religious practices, especially to a captured audience, you run afoul of the constitution. There's nothing different between this an nativity scenes or ten commandment statues.

This isn't hard. Just keep religion out of government. Its already everywhere else.

Hi. I was born in California and grew up in Washington. Get fucked.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's Texas.

nothing to see here...

its funny cause we're a nation of immigrants built upon many cultures and religions and you speak as if we're not.

humor us some more plz. *grabs popcorn and sits by the fire*
    Last edited by Paladin885; 2013-12-10 at 06:47 AM.

This is going to be a bit long, sorry.

This new story is a bit...misguided. The law was put into place because the crap happening in the schools was pure insanity.

- You couldn't wear red/green.
    - Couldn't say Merry Christmas.
    - No decorations.
    - "Winter Party" They wouldn't even call it a Holiday Party!
    - etc

It was absurd and trampled all over student's first amendment rights in the name of political correctness.

Seems you people missed this part:

Saenz said the law does not specifically cover the festivities of other major religions such as Islam or Buddhism, but students of other faiths who find their traditions being censored can seek support under the law.
    Of course this is not really anything new as public schools have been against kids expressing themselves in any way for a long time now.

For those that don't know the text of the 1st Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]
    I bolder the important part to this discussion. The law really isn't necessary because of the Constitution, all it really does is clarify.

The original article in the thread twists this a lot, try reading more info on it here: http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2013/...christmas-law/

I'm trying to find the exact wording of the law, but I'm sure it's not all "gloom a doom" as most of you people think.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asics View Post
    I'm not religious but I celebrate Christmas with my family. It isn't about Christmas though; if my family celebrated Hanukkah or Kwanzaa together I would with them as well. Christmas as a holiday just so happens to be the medium of our family coming together.
    Christmas also happens to be the most recognized holiday in the world and all the teabagging fucking PC twits have ruined it because they think we are offending minorities of other religions.

Deleted
    Wow. It could not be any different in denmark, Ussualy we have the same " ish" in denmark, there is xmas decorations, and at the last day of december, all chritian children, have to go to curch( people of other religion just get the day off at this point). But that is what used to happen, now many schools they do not decorate, nor sings chrismas songs on the finale day.

Christmas also happens to be the most recognized holiday in the world and all the teabagging fucking PC twits have ruined it because they think we are offending minorities of other religions.
    Really? Its ruined? Does Barack Obama jump out of your closet, kick you in the nuts, and ride away on your new 6 speed bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    [URL]
    How on Earth can you put up a tree, sing songs, and put out a nativity scene without shoving it down the throat's of everyone else who is not Christian? That's the whole point to separation of church and state. So as not to be endorsing a particular religion. Even if 99% of the class is christian, why should the 1% be forced to sit though the entire month listening to something they don't believe in? Why not just have kids go to school and learn? Why should they be celebrating anything in class? Boy, I'm such a Grinch. But this final thing is what set me off.
    Since it's pretty much not a christian holiday, it should be fairly easy. How about "How on earth do christians manage to hijack that holiday and make it their own without breaking their brains doing it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Pure unadulterated capitalism didn't ruin it? Anal atheists may be absurd, but so is telling every non Xtian to GTFO.

This has nothing to do with separation of church and state. This sort of thing is not what the founders envisioned. They were concerned with the papacy pulling governmental strings. I cannot imagine that these men, who said a prayer at the end of each meeting of congress, would have considered outlawing any mention of Christmas in a government operated establishment.

The fact that a law needs to be introduced to let school employees know that they will not be punished for uttering the word "Christmas" is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    This has nothing to do with separation of church and state. This sort of thing is not what the founders envisioned. They were concerned with the papacy pulling governmental strings. I cannot imagine that these men, who said a prayer at the end of each meeting of congress, would have considered outlawing any mention of Christmas in a government operated establishment.

The fact that a law needs to be introduced to let school employees know that they will not be punished for uttering the word "Christmas" is ridiculous.
    I can't imagine most of them being ok with a black president either. Probably a good thing they're a bunch of old dead men.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I... don't get it. How do you pass a law to say there isn't a law against something?

This whole debate is ridiculous. Maybe we should have a war over the fact Odin, Thor and Freya still have their names in our days of the week as well? Christmas is where Christianity went to die.
    Dude, don't tell them that about the days, they don't know that, yet! Once the Americans catch up how weird the real world truly is, they'll ban everything!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    It's Texas.

nothing to see here...

its funny cause we're a nation of immigrants built upon many cultures and religions and you speak as if we're not.

humor us some more plz. *grabs popcorn and sits by the fire*
    I am not American for one, and pray tell how many religions existed in America during the founding of the country? You are aware that the majority of western religions are derived from Christianity and Catholicism right (aside from modern religions)? Don't tell me America was founded by multiple religions when your founders were either Catholics or Christians, regardless of denomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Typical racist right-wing scum. Why don't you and your people (whites) go back to where you came from?

[Infracted]