Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It gives me some comfort, knowing that I could end it any day, if I wanted to.

Acceptable: Being tortured, paralyzed, or terminally ill
    Unacceptable: Weakness

suicide is retarded cause i gotta tell you a big secret:

You die anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Suicide is for the weak. You chose to end your life instead of fighting for a better future. You make an end to it without even knowing what could have become. You're nothing more than a ragequitter imo. :P
    Perfect example of what I mean. A fucking clueless comment like this. You have no idea.
    Aye mate

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not on the rise, just more reported. My opinion: fucking stupid. Full of first world problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    It's not on the rise, just more reported. My opinion: fucking stupid. Full of first world problems.
    And again! Another person who has no fucking idea.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Of course, this argument always has in it somewhere the premise that life is intrinsically valuable or should be maintained at all costs (for it could not function without such a premise).

On what do you base that premise?
    Would you like the answer or his answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Would you like the answer or his answer?
    there is no "the answer" since value is relative

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Some people just give up too early for trivial reasons, this is why we have so much suicides of young people which doesn't even see a lot ...
    Again, you talk about suiciding for trivial reason, I then ask you again. The biggest wall of self-protection we have is the fear of death, something trivial can not take down that wall. If something was able to take it down, how can it be trivial?

Just to clarify, what you think is trivial doesn't matter to the person suiciding. You are not the person, you are just the guy judging. What can be trivial for me, can be big for you and vise versa. What is trivial in your point of view matters IF we were talking about your suicide. But we aren't. We are talking about a hypothetical person who suicided for her own reasons. Be those reasons what they are, they were enough to make her suicide, therefore they were NOT trivial for her.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are really missing the point. People who commit suicide have a severe mental disorder that often goes undiagnosed. It isn't there fault.
    Aye mate

It's a terrible thing for a person to feel as if killing themselves is a better solution to their situation than getting help, and I think it's a critique on society. True, we don't always see the signs, and often are easily assuaged when we do suspect something isn't right, but as a civilization we should hold ourselves to a better standard and awareness of those around us. When one of us falls, the others should be there to help pick them up. And suicide is a reminder to all of us to be watchful of those in our lives, lest we lose more to such tragic and unnecessary circumstances.

(Note that the above presumes there is a solution for the situation, which isn't always the case when speaking of the terminally ill who are literally just waiting to die)

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Plenty of reasons for suicide have nothing to do with first world problems.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    Coward
    cow·ard
    ˈkou-ərd/Enviar
    noun
    a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

Death is a dangerous and unpleasant thing, isn't it? The biggest fear in life is death, isn't it? If you call someone who suicided a coward, then you lack the ability to understand what the word means.

And so, I have some bad news for you.

Stupid
    stu·pid adjective \ˈstü-pəd, ˈstyü-\
    not intelligent : having or showing a lack of ability to learn and understand things
    People don't understand suicide and the effect it has on people around them. Especially the teenagers, they think it's all about them them them. By your definition, it is very cowardly to commit suicide. They lack the courage to endure whatever shitty things are happening in their life, since we seem to be talking about the most common, that would be bullying. It's more cowardly to commit suicide than it is to get the courage, not be an idiot, and face your problem head on like every human in the god damn world does every fucking day. By your definition and this topic, death is the only peaceful option for people that even think about suicide, so no, it's far from dangerous or unpleasant, because being dead is the only place they will feel safe and not have to worry about anything.

I am dismayed at the amount of absent minded people that actually think they know what the hell they are talking about. I suffer clinical sever depression. I have made a genuine attempt on my life. Many things were against me at the time and the only way I could see to stop me hurting so much was to commit suicide. I was within 5 minutes of my death when my mother realised something was wrong and alerted the authorities. Obviously cause I am writing here, I survived. But the depression is one big black hole that gets so large, there simply is no way out. Now take a moment to think about it. Every negative thing that happens the blackness gets bigger and bigger until you are totally consumed. There simply is no easy answer and to think suicide is cowardice is totally wrong. Suicide is desperation. Desperate to end years of pain, that simple won't go away. I have had counselling and to be honest with you, that done nothing. All it did was make me relieve all the horrible moments, I had been trying years to get away from. Now what drives people to suicide and what makes them think that it's the only way to resolve the issue. Well mine was simple. I had a severe accident at work. I lost my wife (Cause she couldn't handle living with a disabled man), I lost my children (She didnt want them to see me like that), I lost my Job (I got screwed over by the company concerning compensation), I ultimately lost my house. I lost absolutely everything. Now excuse me if you think trying to end the pain is cowardice. I call you all cowards cause you don't understand the pain people go through every single day of their lives. Who do you think you are judging people by your narrow minded views.
    Pathetic the lot of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    suicide is retarded cause i gotta tell you a big secret:

You die anyway
    Exactly, you die anyway so in the end it doesn't really matter whether you die now or later.

Wait... why'd you say it's retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    there is no "the answer" since value is relative
    As is the entire state of human existence, anomalous in a mechanical Universe. Your response is deemed void.

Always felt people who say "Its selfish" are the ones being selfish. Thats all I wanna say really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    Plenty of reasons for suicide have nothing to do with first world problems.
    Please do list them. Sure people do it around the world, but do they get reported? Nope, all they care about is "hey another person took their own life because they got bullied at school, help us stop this guys!"

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Well in the context of the OP (which I read before reading any responses), the article was about the relationship between the economic downturn and a rise in suicide rates. If somebody is going to kill themselves because they can't get the job they want or they're not financially satisfied, then I think it eliminates a lot of the space between what is a selfish act and what is sort of sympathetically acceptable in terms of suicide.

I don't pretend to tell other people how to live or die, but I am certainly entitled to an opinion on the subject when its presented as a socioeconomic issue.
    Depression is often latent until triggered. When someone feels threatened (by their financial security, for instance), this can trigger depression.

Conjecture.
    Based entirely on your assumption (or the implication that you assume, by your words) that only pain as a result of a terminal illness counts as 'suffering'

Conjecture.
    See above.

LOL
    Really? 'LOL?' You couldn't even write something, but instead went with something as laughable as 'lol'?
    Come on, now. The very least you could do would be to concisely point out my hypocricy on the matter, as I have done with yours. Instead, all I get is 'lol?'

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    As is the entire state of human existence, anomalous in a mechanical Universe. Your response is deemed void.
    i dont value your response, your response is now void to me...