I can only play one champion...help? -.-

So yeah, i've been pretty much playing Rengar since i was lvl 5 (when i got the IP to buy him), i watched high ranked streamers and practiced countless games as him, while i can't pretend i still know everything about him or how to react to every champions as him yet, i got a decent grasp. I have yet to really try ranked game though as LoL atm is more a casual time killer than anything for me atm.

I want to start ranked in S4 and do know i won't get to be Top or Jungle everytime or even if i am my team might need a tank, and i don't want to be "that" guy that autolocks what he wants at the cost of his team.

So i started trying out new other champs, buying a bunch and even buying some skins to make sure i enjoy playing them if i found their basic one boring. To put it simply, i'm utterly shit at them, who would had figured that 5 abilities could be engrained so bad in your brain that you can't change them. And because i'm bad at them i get bored/frustrated and just go back to play a bunch of game as Rengar, never solving the issue.

His gameplay being pretty unique too, i can't figure out any remotely similar to him that isn't a jungler (and even then its pretty much limited to Evelynn and Shaco, and i dislike both) at least (i'd like to expand my role repertoire too).

Any suggestions?

Edit : My LoLking if someone feels its relevant.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner.php?...er_id=26789733
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2013-12-10 at 05:15 PM.

This might sounds silly but I would suggest trying all the champs out ^^, anyways i think Kha'zix is pretty similar to Rengar with the gap-closers and the burst damage. And if you want try out different roles I would sugest (the ones I find the most fun to be) Mid: Malzahar. He is pretty easy to learn and get down some sick burst (His Q spell can be tricky sometimes). Tank jungler: Sejuani. Perma-slow, gap closer, really good ultimate and pretty nice damage early game, not that hard to play either. I can't really say much about adc's since I basically never play them. Support: I find almost every support fun to play since i play support 90% of my games but my personal favourites are Fiddlesticks, Leona and Thresh because of their amazing CC. I'm only a casual player aswell but I have ben playing since S1. I'm sure more people can come up with better sugestions aswell

I can't suggest anything else than play a tonne of different champs and just suck it up :P

try aram XD
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Deleted
    playing almost exclusively one champion works for lots of people in ranked.. unless the upcoming rework/nerfs make him extremely weak (unlikely), what's the problem?
    if your game knoweldge and basic mechanics are fine then you can easy play something low skill cap in roles you are unfamiliar with, eg annie mid/support. and you can probably get away with avoiding adc entirely if you communicate in champ select

Quote Originally Posted by soletaken View Post
    playing almost exclusively one champion works for lots of people in ranked.. unless the upcoming rework/nerfs make him extremely weak (unlikely), what's the problem?
    if your game knoweldge and basic mechanics are fine then you can easy play something low skill cap in roles you are unfamiliar with, eg annie mid/support. and you can probably get away with avoiding adc entirely if you communicate in champ select
    I see makes sense i guess even if its suprising in a game with close to 120 champions. A guy i was following in S3 was D1 in Soloq and D1/Challenger in 5s was doing like you said, he had like 1500+ ranked game in S3 as Rengar alone while he occasionally played Twitch and Soraka/Janna, all easy characters for their roles. Might try to do that. I feel i should have at least 2-3 other options though, like you said ignoring ADC might not be a bad idea (sucks cause i really like Varus viasually etc, looks like my WoW Hunter lol) but i don't enjoy the role.

Is Shen hard to play? I love the mobility and being everywhere on the map (No brush is safe >) and his ult kinda fits that. Could at least tank top lane and maybe support as him (?).

10+ Year Old Account
    Just start buying champs and playing them. Get a bunch and spam ARAM, good way to be forced into learning different champs. Shen is best as top or jungle, he is really easy to counter as a support.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2013-12-11 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I can only sugest you what i did for myself.

Bought a bunch of champions and queued for normals. In Champ Select "Hi, i can do all roles".

This way i'm always swapping roles and i practice each one with a champ of my choosing
    After that, practice practice practice!
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Deleted
    I played over 700 games as Sona and I felt pretty much the same way, I tried a bunch of different champs and always struggled and so when I struggled I'd go back to my safe pick because I didn't want to get yelled at - or let anyone down. Now I replaced her with Lulu who I actually like even more :P

In the end I just had to suck it up and play a bunch of different champs until I found the ones that suit me. Even now, I've unlocked every champ, but I have a pool of less than 10 that I would play on a regular basis - but 10 is a decent number for most situations. I have friends who can play - literally - every champ to the same skill level and it makes me pretty jealous, I just know that's not going to be me.

Find some champs you can enjoy - try them all if you have to - then practice the ones you've enjoyed until you have a small, yet reasonable pool so that you can fill a few roles / not get countered every time in ranked. It helped me a lot to queue with other people who knew that I was just starting out with a champ so I didn't feel too much pressure or any recriminations to stress me out, if you can queue normals with 5 people all just having a laugh then it doesn't matter how much you suck whilst you practice, they'll understand. If you need someone to queue with now and again feel free to add me on NA.

ARAM is pretty good for just learning what skills do and being forced out of your comfort zone, or just trying random champs that you haven't tried before to get an idea for their kit.

Tbh, as another summoner who has all champs, I find STYLE to be VERY important when it comes to your "champion pool". I myself love to STAY IN THE BACK AND EXPLODE PEOPLE! So naturally there are champs you can guess I'd main. Xerath, Ziggs, Lux, Gragas for mids. Twitch, Ezreal, and maybe the occasional Tristana adc.
    I dont LIKE top much because it doesnt fit my style. As with jungle.
    (I'm rambling zzzz) To get to the point, STYLE of champ means you can pick from those styles and do well with different champs, but the same overall principle. Sure mechanics are different on the champs, but the overall IDEA of the champs are the same. For me, its stay the FUCK away and kill people.

Pick your style of champ, select your champ pool from that list, and VWALA! You have at least 4-5 champs you can chose from.

As to what the guy above me said about the style of the champion, try some other Assassins. You might like Kha'zix, who is basically all Rengar is with less survivability but much more damage. Akali can jump on people as can Diana. Zed is a nice pick, but really high skill cap. Kassadin is a fairly difficult champion, but once you figure it out, it's easy. Akali, Diana and Zed can all be top or mid and Kassadin is basically solely a mid.

As for supports, just pick the easier ones that people won't instantly loathe you for. Janna is one of the safest supports right now and isn't really difficult. Lulu is a nice disengage support with some offensive capability, but she can get a little difficult to manage with deciding whether to use her spells offensively or defensively. Sona is a really versatile support, able to play aggressive or defensive. She doesn't really get that strong until level 6 though and her style basically forces you to AA a lot which was a difficult adjustment for me personally.

I wouldn't recommend Soraka because, while I believe she is viable, most people don't and could either dodge or not take anything you do seriously in game. Also, Soraka has no safe way to poke other than Bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Soraka has no safe way to poke other than Bananas.
    Banana's of DOOM.

I would suggest trying some assassins - as mentioned above, akali has a lot of parallels to rengar, and can be played mid/top (and jungle if you playing with friends ^^)

Have you tried ad eve? I do this in the jungle a fair bit, and it has a very different feel to squishy ap eve, and still has the enemy team afraid of bushes, and their own shadow

10+ Year Old Account
    My advice is to pick something that is very different from Rengar and go from there. A support would be about as far as you could get from Rengar, but if you don't want to play a support you could go for a sustained damage mage. Casseiopia or karthus might be good pick ups if you want to play something that's different.

If you want to play something that is similar to Rengar you may consider Kha'zix. I would suggest eve too but you already said you disliked her. If you wanted to stay in lop lane that are plenty of bruisers you can pick from that serve as tanky front liners. Renekton and Nasus are both good picks as they provide a durable frontline that can still do a good amount of damage.

Other than that I would just play whatever looks like fun during free weeks and hopefully find something that you like.

Thanks for the advices. Yasuo might fix my problem though, looking at his spotlight, i love how he can combo and rely on mobility like Rengar while having a more sustained damage approach.

Now just gonna have to wait a few weeks to actually be able to play it while the hype tones down -.-.

As far as supporting goes i wouldn't mind it, its actually fun to look at the game from a complete different spectrum but my problem is that most supports characters are really boring to me :/. Only one i really like is Alistar and his kit is kinda outdated, he was made way before Caitlyn or Vayne were a thing.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2013-12-13 at 04:47 PM.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    try aram XD
    You beat me to it. ARAM taught me a lot about the game, it's pretty much all I play now.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Force yourself to play more arams which forces you to play more characters that you havent and do roles and positions that you normally dont. You become a more valuable player the more roles you are able to play. What happens if you join a ranked game and then you dont get the role you're only good at? You just screwed over your team hardcore. The more you know the better you are. Also, playing more than one character allows you to learn more about chracters you go up against, letting you know when to dodge certain spells, and predict what people are going to do at certain times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Thanks for the advices. Yasuo might fix my problem though, looking at his spotlight, i love how he can combo and rely on mobility like Rengar while having a more sustained damage approach.

Now just gonna have to wait a few weeks to actually be able to play it while the hype tones down -.-.

As far as supporting goes i wouldn't mind it, its actually fun to look at the game from a complete different spectrum but my problem is that most supports characters are really boring to me :/. Only one i really like is Alistar and his kit is kinda outdated, he was made way before Caitlyn or Vayne were a thing.
    Couple of the top streamers (not LoL top) are saying Yasuo cant compete with all in champs like riven due to having to use your charges before they expire unlike that of annie. In short his build up is too strenuous and he is squishy to start with low base stats even if his passive is a little op.

Ive been testing champs this season and olaf is my top pick for dominance in jungle or top - the changes they made make him very lethal these days... support ziggs is a new meta im running too - very high utility for an ap mid champ - satchel to blow away enemies from an unwanted engage, zoning with mine field, and the bomb throw poke as well as the passive - its perfect.
    Last edited by Toxcat; 2013-12-14 at 05:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    try aram XD
    I have to agree that aram is great. You get a random champ, have to manage to play him/her/it somewhat well and people usually won't whine if you play badly and just try to do your best (unless you play blitzcrank). The amount of champs i have learned to play well thanks to aram is insane.

The bad thing is that it's random, so if you want to practice a certain champ, aram is not the best thing. But it throws you directly into teamfights, which is a neat thing. Also won't teach you how to CS properly or how to start in your lane, but you can't get everything now can you?

I leveled to 30 with only playing support, and when I hit 30 I jumped into ranked with a friend of mine, so I always got support aswell.
    But after a while I got tired of it, and decided to pick up new roles. But when I did normals, and screwed up people always got so damn mad at me and well, the normal 'omg rpeort u n00b' EUW trashtalk that follows up.

So I actually just made a new account, then I didnt buy one champion on it while leveling, forcing me to play on of the free 10 champs in everygame. And I learned alot of new champs, and roles rather fast. So now I can say I can play all lanes, ap/ad or tank, and I go no problem with them. I do of course have my favorites in all lanes, that I normaly end up playing even though I almost got all champs on my main account.

TL; DR - start a new account and learn new champions while lvling, no one will get mad at you for sucking, and you will most likely have fun. Atleast up to lvl 20, where you start fighting against Gold+++ people whole boost their Diamond smurf friends ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore