Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
21
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Now I'm not putting her down but things like this severely bother me...



    Just to clarify that's me who commented, tell me if I'm wrong, I don't mind.
    Just to be clear...telling someone that they "need to be set straight on this one" doesn't lend you an aura of authority. It makes you look desperate to show you think you know what you're talking about.

  2. #202
    Elemental Lord Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    8,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    As far as rape convictions go 97% (approximately - obviously this will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction) of actual rapists are *never* convicted
    That's a staggering claim, what evidence do you make that assertion upon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Oh Manakin, have I told you lately that I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    The British did not play a major role in WW2

  3. #203
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,604
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Really? That's kind of been an attitude that's been around a long time. 'Course, I suppose any of this stuff might have some variation between nations.
    I never heard it either. I mean I've heard it retorted in Feminist debates but never in the world have I heard a man say that. I guess it varies.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa of Carthage View Post
    Actually no, it's a direct result of women being the ones to ask for custody, which in turn is the result of gender roles as you mentioned. There is no bias on the part of the court to give custody to women due to those stereotypes. Judges are more likely to consider women unfit due to that stereotpye ('if you were a good mother why would the father ask for custody?')
    I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa of Carthage View Post
    Actually no, it's a direct result of women being the ones to ask for custody, which in turn is the result of gender roles as you mentioned.
    It's a bit of both really, as above here where men seek custody they're awarded it equally, but there are simply less men seeking custody. In other countries I'm under the impression the disparity is also related to an old judicial presumption that children should go to the mother as they are the better carer - which is a very direct reflection of gender roles being institutionalised by the legal system.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I've still never heard anybody say anything like that.
    Mind officially blown.


  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Really? That's kind of been an attitude that's been around a long time. 'Course, I suppose any of this stuff might have some variation between nations.
    I don't know if this has been said or not but I think it is selfish. Not in the exact context of your quote however. By having a child you are directly responsible for everything they ever experience. You forfeit your individuality and must use your maximum effort towards the child. This is why I have a difficult time believing having children isn't immoral. One thing you may think is "you can't be certain of their circumstances". Well, since we have no experience of the alternative the argument is invalid. It can be selfish to not devote yourself to your kids first.

  8. #208
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzingtakin View Post
    I don't know if this has been said or not but I think it is selfish. Not in the exact context of your quote however. By having a child you are directly responsible for everything they ever experience. You forfeit your individuality and must use your maximum effort towards the child. This is why I have a difficult time believing having children isn't immoral. One thing you may think is "you can't be certain of their circumstances". Well, since we have no experience of the alternative the argument is invalid. It can be selfish to not devote yourself to your kids first.
    This is fucking stupid.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidatom View Post
    I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.
    Study 1: MASS
    2100 cases where fathers sought custody (100%)
    5 year duration

    29% of fathers got primary custody
    65% of fathers got joint custody
    7% of mothers got primary custody

    Study 2: MASS
    700 cases. In 57, (8.14%) father sought custody
    6 years

    67% of fathers got primary custody
    23% of mothers got primary custody

    Study 3: MASS
    500 cases. In 8% of these cases, father sought custody
    6 years

    41% of fathers got sole custody
    38% of fathers got joint custody
    15% of mothers got sole custody

    Study 4: Los Angeles
    63% of fathers who sought sole custody were successful

    Study 5: US appellate custody cases
    51% of fathers who sought custody were successful (not clear from wording whether this includes just sole or sole/joint custody)

    From the New England Law review - http://www.amptoons.com/blog/files/M...Bias_Study.htm

  10. #210
    The Lightbringer OzoAndIndi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I've never heard that mentality before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I never heard it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzingtakin View Post
    I don't know if this has been said or not but I think it is selfish. Not in the exact context of your quote however. By having a child you are directly responsible for everything they ever experience. You forfeit your individuality and must use your maximum effort towards the child. This is why I have a difficult time believing having children isn't immoral. One thing you may think is "you can't be certain of their circumstances". Well, since we have no experience of the alternative the argument is invalid. It can be selfish to not devote yourself to your kids first.
    And now you have. Sadly.

  11. #211
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,604
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    And now you have.
    Yeah well....IT IS STUPID. By Elune what kind of crap is that. Sheez.....
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by fearom View Post
    I did mention the blind didn't I?

    The majority of sexism towards women is benevolent today... really. So if every time you got somewhere in life people remarked "It's because you love taking it up the ass", that wouldn't be harmful to your life at all. Fair enough, your prerogative. (One example of MANY daily situations for women in the western world)



    Are you joking? Four times as many men are pathetic that's why they're putting the gun in their mouth - where did that statistic come from btw? How does that have anything to do with sexism. Wtf are you even talking about.
    The stat is sound. It comes from every academic books that deals with psychology. The reason it is sexist, is because society does not pay much attention to why men are killing themselves. Issues are not focused on as one is focusing on female issues such as breast cancer.

  13. #213
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,831
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    And now you have. Sadly.
    I think he's implying both sexes can be selfish in that regard. But regardless, that's a rather odd way to look at it.

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by fearom View Post
    Are you joking? Four times as many men are pathetic that's why they're putting the gun in their mouth - where did that statistic come from btw? How does that have anything to do with sexism. Wtf are you even talking about.
    Never go full..... you know what i mean
    Just wow you are one bigot under the sun do you claim you are a moderate feminist?
    I feel pure hate for the bias and spitefull nature of this remark.

    fearom just stop being the way you are.

    To claim that people who choose suicide are pathetic because they are male (or female) is just mindboggling hatefull
    emotionless, sexists, ignorant and well pathetic anyway to think its ok to say something like that on an open plattform..
    i don't know this makes me sad.
    Last edited by Davillage; 2013-12-11 at 03:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    The real reason you don't see news like this in your country is because your country has uneducated and piss poor criminals, and don't commit crimes worthy of news, or your media chooses not to report it.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Yeah well....IT IS STUPID. By Elune what kind of crap is that. Sheez.....
    I can be less wordy and conciderate if you'd like.

    By having children you are thereafter responsible for everything good and bad that happens in their life. Since we cannot say what not existing is like, we cannot say existing is the better choice. Having children is immoral.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Study 1: MASS
    2100 cases where fathers sought custody (100%)
    5 year duration

    29% of fathers got primary custody
    65% of fathers got joint custody
    7% of mothers got primary custody

    Study 2: MASS
    700 cases. In 57, (8.14%) father sought custody
    6 years

    67% of fathers got primary custody
    23% of mothers got primary custody

    Study 3: MASS
    500 cases. In 8% of these cases, father sought custody
    6 years

    41% of fathers got sole custody
    38% of fathers got joint custody
    15% of mothers got sole custody

    Study 4: Los Angeles
    63% of fathers who sought sole custody were successful

    Study 5: US appellate custody cases
    51% of fathers who sought custody were successful (not clear from wording whether this includes just sole or sole/joint custody)

    From the New England Law review - http://www.amptoons.com/blog/files/M...Bias_Study.htm
    Massachutte is not large enough though. It is very small state. Perhaps, there are reasons for such divorce agreements where they had to forgo child custody. There is also the case of wife ending up with the house, while husband has to find somewhere to live.

  17. #217
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzingtakin View Post
    I can be less wordy and conciderate if you'd like.

    By having children you are thereafter responsible for everything good and bad that happens in their life. Since we cannot say what not existing is like, we cannot say existing is the better choice. Having children is immoral.
    In your twisted perception sure but it's pretty bullshit no matter how you swing it.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  18. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Massachutte is not large enough though. It is very small state. Perhaps, there are reasons for such divorce agreements where they had to forgo child custody. There is also the case of wife ending up with the house, while husband has to find somewhere to live.
    14th largest state by population according to the 2010 census.

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Massachutte is not large enough though. It is very small state. Perhaps, there are reasons for such divorce agreements where they had to forgo child custody. There is also the case of wife ending up with the house, while husband has to find somewhere to live.
    Agreed.

    Here is a more complete survey:

    http://dalrock.wordpress.com/2011/08...-support-data/

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Never go full..... you know what i mean
    Just wow you are one bigot under the sun do you claim you are a moderate feminist?
    I feel pure hate for the bias and spitefull nature of this remark.

    fearom just stop being the way you are.

    To claim that people who choose suicide are pathetic because they are male (or female) is just mindboggling hatefull
    emotionless, sexists, ignorant and well pathetic anyway to think its ok to say something like that on an open plattform..
    i don't know this makes me sad.
    http://bit.ly/zPsyxp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •