Help My Disc Priest

Hello. I'm Kaethur (564 Prot War - Area 52). We are currently working on Heroic content (4/14 atm). Our Disc priest seems to be lacking a bit in numbers and I've done a significant amount of research to try and see why this is, but I just don't play a Disc priest, so idk what's accurate or inaccurate.

I cannot link World of Logs because I apparently have not posted enough. But if you could look it up and help any help is appreciated.
    Our guild is Nox Aeterna Area 52 (US).

Our Disc priest is "Disciplines".
    Last edited by Kaethur; 2013-12-11 at 01:14 AM.

Hello,

My disc priest (Solarshadow - Stormrage) is currently ilvl 565 and 9/14 Heroic.

The biggest thing that stands out to me about Disciplines is that he has a LOT of spirit. I'm running almost 6k less spirit than he is. Now, spirit is something that is determined on a player-by-player basis. Everyone has their own level that they feel comfortable with, but 14k seems excessive for a disc priest. All that spirit is detracting from some other nice stats he could have, specifically crit rating. A way to rectify this is to get rid of all the purple gems he has and replace them with orange (potent) gems also, he has some pure spirit gems in blue slots that could be changed to Misty (Spirit/Crit) gems. Obviously reforging is another option. The most drastic change that he could, and possibly should, make is swapping his healing legendary cloak for the dps legendary cloak. Also, as a tailor, I see no reason to take the spirit cloak enchant. Swapping those cloaks would trade 991 spirit for 991 crit, which is amazing. The healing legendary proc is not incredibly useful for disc in my opinion, and losing it is not that big of a deal.

I'm not sure how much of a help this is, but I figured I'd chime in and try to help. Everything here is just things that I've come up with at a glance. No guarantees that making these changes will improve his numbers drastically, but it should help.

I hope this helps.

I quickly glanced at your Heroic Protectors kill. He uses spirit shell 3 times in a 10 minute kill, spirit shell has a 60 second cooldown. #1 improvement opportunity is to use spirit shell more.

Armory:
    Gemming: Red = 80 int / 160 crit not Purified Gems, Blue = 160 spirit / 160 crit and NEVER 320 spirit. Remember Belt Buckle.
    Switch to DPs cloak since it has better stats and the cloak proc is not really good for disc except a few fights.
    Never reforge to haste ! crit > mastery >>> haste, but IF he thinks he is getting mana starved then reforge the pieces with haste from haste to crit and keep the spirit.
    Throw Power Infusion out and get Twist of Fate since that is amazing on the majority of fights (Okay, everyone) 40-70% uptime on 15% increased dmg and healing is wonderful, and on fights with adds just throw a HF on the mob so the dot from HF keeps refreshing ToF if you are lazy like me.
    He should reexamine his reforges in regards to some of his choices, but I guess that could also be due to him playing shadow ?

Spell usage: Play more aggressive with Spirit Shell and get it up whenever there is some dmg. inc e.g. on Protectors before Calamity and so on.
    Attonement is something that he should rely a lot more on more Pennance, Holy Fire and Smite (It will also help you kill the bosses faster especially if he takes the dps cloak). Furthermore, due to the lack of Smiting / HF / Pennance his 2-set bonus uptime is horrendous it should minimum be 40% and preferably +50%

Switch between Halo and the others depending on the fight. Use Pain Sup more especially when you are progressing, and also use Power Word: Barrier it is amazing. Ditch Glyph of Smite for either Binding Heal (It is amazing for a lot of fights where you need to get people up asap and people stand horrible for PoH) and the only fight where I use Glyph of Holy fire is Shamans so either go for 6% Dmg red. or Fade for dmg. red.

TLR - Play more aggressive with Attonement (Also when you are running 3 healers he really should just primarily push his dps and let the druid and shaman cover the raid while only "healing" during big bursts). Switch some glyphs / gems / talents arround

It appears that this thread was a duplicate creation.

Rather than posting responses to the OP here, I suggest that any contributions to the discussion might be better offered in the other identical thread, here, where there's already a good deal of information/discussion.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic