Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    WoW isn't really the type of game that would benefit from monthly updates, though.

I used to play Asheron's Call. They have had monthly updates, as far as I am aware, since 1999. Those updates include new quests, new items, new enemies, and new dungeons. However, most of the new NPCs are just reskins/renames of other NPCs (with updated stats), the dungeons reuse textures and assets like crazy (they're basically a big maze populated with respawning enemy NPCs and the occasional quest NPC), and the quests simply involve plopping a few new NPCs in the world and having players complete easy objectives (kill something until a note drops, or kill x amount of mobs, or talk to this guy, or blah, or blah). In other words, the content is simple and easy to develop, especially considering this is an MMO from 1999.

None of that translates to WoW. The quest system is 100% different, the level system is 100% different (one of the main purposes of questing in AC is to gain XP, which you continue doing even after max level. XP is an incredibly valuable resource), and the dungeon system is completely different. The resources required for quests, dungeons, and items in WoW are much higher because the quality of the final product is expected to be much higher. Furthermore, quests aren't a very highly desired thing in WoW after reaching max level.

Long story short, there's a very limited desire for the kind of things they could offer with monthly updates. The quality of the product would suffer. I don't see something like this ever happening.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I just don't so fondly remember the year wait between WoTLK and Cata (wasn't it about a year) and didn't they do the same with Cata and MoP?

WoD is months away and we as players have very little IMO to tide us over until that date.
    Until more than 5% of the playerbase has downed even flex Garrosh there is no lack of content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Yeah it sucks but I think people will find stuff to do. Take note it's also december. Also the wait between Cata and MoP was probably the highest even beating ICC. So really at worst one month before ICC and one month before DS times. Don't get me wrong, I want WoD to come here to but patience is a virtue. Sucks that the reality is we players devour content VERY QUICKLY.
    No ICC was worse. However the ICC raid didnt suck like Dragon Soul, so there was really only like 9 months of nothing, while Dragon Soul was nothing to begin with.

Yeah it sucks but I think people will find stuff to do. Take note it's also december. Also the wait between Cata and MoP was probably the highest even beating ICC. So really at worst one month before ICC and one month before DS times. Don't get me wrong, I want WoD to come here to but patience is a virtue. Sucks that the reality is we players devour content VERY QUICKLY.
    Yeah personally I just find myself twiddling my thumbs as of late.

I mean I could level my mage (its 82) but damn it I want to have some use for the free 90 = )

Yeah we as players to go through content very fast, no denying that.

Personally, if I weren't raiding, I'd just unsub until new content arrived. There's really nothing wrong with that. I'd finally have some time to catch up on my other games or real-life.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Personally, if I weren't raiding, I'd just unsub until new content arrived. There's really nothing wrong with that. I'd finally have some time to catch up on my other games or real-life.
    I am hoping for a Wildstar beta = )

But I have no real life been married for 15 years an she is a WoW player to.

I had quit the game and she bribed me back with the spectral tiger mount ... evil evil woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    They can barely get the lore patches up on a 3 month basis i doubt they would be able to get more substantial content on a monthly basis
    I seem to recall people saying the same thing about patches every 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    How are dungeons and scenarios more interesting than raids...

You act like giving players the equivalent of 5.3 WITHOUT barrens would keep the happy. it wouldnt.
    I hear different people like different things. I know this is hard to comprehend but many players enjoy dungeons and scenarios far more than raiding. It may not be content for you but not all content was ever meant to be for everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you could try stuff like raiding or PvP, what the game is built around, ya know?
    And yet we have things like pet battles and transmog now. Why can't Blizzard come ujp with other new things? What is so terrible about that? Does it really bother you that much that other people might find enjoyment in doing new types of content?

- - - Updated - - -

Again, you don't do the content in front of you, stop asking for more. If the content isnt appealing to you then find another game because you don't belong in this one.
    Obviously he enjoys dungeons and scenarios and questing which is all currently existing content. Maybe you are the one who doesn't belong in this game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I have 18k achievement points, don't raid, and don't PvP. Still, they could not release new content for another year (or more), and I would still not run out of things to do.

It's not attitude. People who ask for more content or say "there is nothing to do", blame things on Blizzard when this isn't entirely a Blizzard problem.
    I'm sorry but he is right. He was simply suggesting that Blizzard release other types of content more frequently (something Blizzard has already said they want to do) and has gotten bashed for it for absolutely no logical reason. It isn't even an irrational request considering it is is something Blizzard has touched on many times before and has been a long time goal for them.

- - - Updated - - -

You're the one wanting more updates. Honestly look at GWII that's not a lot of content in their updates. IMO I think WoW has it better. At least the content update is filling.
    Are you kidding me right now? People are being a jerk to him because he made a suggestion and again it needs to be pointed out it is something Blizzard themselves have already said they wanted to do and plan to do. He hasn't said one single thing that justifies the nonsense spewed at him in this thread.

You're the one wanting more updates. Honestly look at GWII that's not a lot of content in their updates. IMO I think WoW has it better. At least the content update is filling.
    Actually one of the main complaints over in Guild Wars 2 is there is too much to do and people that are causal are having trouble keeping up with all the content.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I mean take my wife and I as a example (leaving this whole no flying thing out).

Right now her and I both are pretty much reduced to pet battles ... really just isn't anything to do. So her and I will probably let our subs expire. If something new came out on a monthly or semi monthly basis we would be more inclined to stay subbed.

At this point in time all we have to look forward to is WoD, and well that is a long way out yet.
    You mean like what happens at the end of every expansion? Your situation mirrors that of numerous others which has been happening for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    I seem to recall people saying the same thing about patches every 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear different people like different things. I know this is hard to comprehend but many players enjoy dungeons and scenarios far more than raiding. It may not be content for you but not all content was ever meant to be for everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet we have things like pet battles and transmog now. Why can't Blizzard come ujp with other new things? What is so terrible about that? Does it really bother you that much that other people might find enjoyment in doing new types of content?

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously he enjoys dungeons and scenarios and questing which is all currently existing content. Maybe you are the one who doesn't belong in this game.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry but he is right. He was simply suggesting that Blizzard release other types of content more frequently (something Blizzard has already said they want to do) and has gotten bashed for it for absolutely no logical reason. It isn't even an irrational request considering it is is something Blizzard has touched on many times before and has been a long time goal for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding me right now? People are being a jerk to him because he made a suggestion and again it needs to be pointed out it is something Blizzard themselves have already said they wanted to do and plan to do. He hasn't said one single thing that justifies the nonsense spewed at him in this thread.
    The content is designed with a certain audience in mind. Do I go to Call of Duty and ask for more story mode content? Go grab a racing game and ask for more ways to explore? If you don't like the content the game is CENTERED AROUND then don't play te game, you aren't the target audience.

He is also not suggesting Blizzard just releases content frequently, but the content they release be some pulse of dogshit that would only be appealing to those who just come and go to see the new content. It would be a waste of time and money, and alienate a chunk of their player base.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Wow I didn't know Blizzard planned to do it. To bad it is happening later rather then sooner (if at all).

This waiting for WoD is dreadful... and knowing we have months to wait for anything new well to put simply is depressing.

Its been my experience that people are rude and mean on the internet cause in their real lives they feel insignificant and powerless. You know if they acted in such a manner in the real world they had better have a trust fund and a body guard, cause well they will loose jobs and get punched in the mouth is they don't = )

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I have 18k achievement points, don't raid, and don't PvP. Still, they could not release new content for another year (or more), and I would still not run out of things to do.

It's not attitude. People who ask for more content or say "there is nothing to do", blame things on Blizzard when this isn't entirely a Blizzard problem.
    Sorry, gotta call BS on this. Maybe if you only play 1 minute a day you could but if you don't raid and don't PvP what exactly do you do? You've got pet battles, scenarios, challenge modes and dungeons. And you'd be fine doing only that for the next year? I don't buy it.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Oh I think its simple. Look, since Blizz are aiming to have expansions a duration of a year each, and we have 4 raiding tiers this xpac, then it's 3 months for raiding tier, making it 2 patches per 3 months, if raids are to be faetured in 6.0, 6.2, 6.4 and 6.6. A tier in the spring, tier in the summer, tier in the autumn, and tier in the winter, and then a new xpac right away. If next xpac is to be 3 tiers, it's 4 months per tier and 2 months per patch.

Monthly patches mean low quality content.

Quote Originally Posted by Whales96 View Post
    Monthly patches mean low quality content.
    I understand that but I am just thinking some quests, a scenario or two or maybe a dungeon.

Something to pass the time before the large content patches.

I mean I am thinking we are going to have 9 months waiting on WoD

Monthly is a bit too fast. I'm actually a bit uncertain that annual expansions is a good goal to strive for.

I think the current pace from MoP is pretty good for patch/raid/patch/raid.