Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Monthly Content patches?

    Ok one thing I have noticed is that during this long periods w/out new content is when players get lost. The sad thing is some of those players will never come back.

    With WoWs dev team being the largest it has ever been, I have a idea (kinda pirated from the MMO The Secret World).

    How bout monthly content patches. That can be used to tell a story arching us into the next expansion.

    Example using WoD

    6.0 WoD release, 6.1 would come a month later with 5 new quests telling a story, 6.2 a month after that with 3 quests and a scenario, 6.3 a month after that with 3 new quests and a dungeon, then a month after that 6.4 would be a larger content patch with a new questing zone, raids whatever, but also a few quest to continue that story.

    I mean if they did say 10 small content patches, and then 4 major ones I think that would help extend the life of the game. That and with new content coming out monthly or at least close to monthly it would encourage people to stay subbed I would think especially if some of that content was only available for a limited time ala Battlefield Barrens.

    I needed to step away from me being annoyed by the no flying on max level toons till 6.1 and came up with this.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Ok one thing I have noticed is that during this long periods w/out new content is when players get lost. The sad thing is some of those players will never come back.

    With WoWs dev team being the largest it has ever been, I have a idea (kinda pirated from the MMO The Secret World).

    How bout monthly content patches. That can be used to tell a story arching us into the next expansion.

    Example using WoD

    6.0 WoD release, 6.1 would come a month later with 5 new quests telling a story, 6.2 a month after that with 3 quests and a scenario, 6.3 a month after that with 3 new quests and a dungeon, then a month after that 6.4 would be a larger content patch with a new questing zone, raids whatever, but also a few quest to continue that story.

    I mean if they did say 10 small content patches, and then 4 major ones I think that would help extend the life of the game. That and with new content coming out monthly or at least close to monthly it would encourage people to stay subbed I would think especially if some of that content was only available for a limited time ala Battlefield Barrens.

    I needed to step away from me being annoyed by the no flying on max level toons till 6.1 and came up with this.
    4 weeks is not enough to clear a raid unless you are doing LFR. 1 dungeon in 4 weeks is not much. You are asking for less content more frequently. How about Blizzard stops letting people speed through it via LFR/Flex/LFD?

  3. #3
    Immortal Tierbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    7,304
    They can barely get the lore patches up on a 3 month basis i doubt they would be able to get more substantial content on a monthly basis
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    4 weeks is not enough to clear a raid unless you are doing LFR. 1 dungeon in 4 weeks is not much. You are asking for less content more frequently. How about Blizzard stops letting people speed through it via LFR/Flex/LFD?
    I am not talking raids lets face it shouldn't there be more interesting things to do in game besides just raiding.

    I am saying give us monthly content, continue to release the large contents like normal, but give us something new to do on a monthly basis.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    They can barely get the lore patches up on a 3 month basis i doubt they would be able to get more substantial content on a monthly basis
    I will be honest I know very little about WoW lore.. but I could see how that could create a problem.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I am not talking raids lets face it shouldn't there be more interesting things to do in game besides just raiding.

    I am saying give us monthly content, continue to release the large contents like normal, but give us something new to do on a monthly basis.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I will be honest I know very little about WoW lore.. but I could see how that could create a problem.
    How are dungeons and scenarios more interesting than raids...

    You act like giving players the equivalent of 5.3 WITHOUT barrens would keep the happy. it wouldnt.

  6. #6
    Not sure what kind of content they could put out on a monthly basis aside from quests. Dungeons are certainly out of the question. I don't think very many players would care for that style of monthly update.

    I wouldn't be opposed to monthly updates, but I don't really see what they could add that could be handled in that time frame. Besides, Blizzard seems to like to progress the storyline via raiding.

    Honestly, I don't think the problem is as big of an issue as you think. People quit for a variety of reasons and I doubt many would list the lack of monthly updates as one of them.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    How are dungeons and scenarios more interesting than raids...

    You act like giving players the equivalent of 5.3 WITHOUT barrens would keep the happy. it wouldnt.
    It would be something. I mean what do we have right now.

    Personally if they released something new every month I would not feel the need to just let my sub expire because I would know that I might potentially get something interesting to do.

    Hell we could be looking at August before the next expansion.. I have already been reduced to pet battles.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Not sure what kind of content they could put out on a monthly basis aside from quests. Dungeons are certainly out of the question. I don't think very many players would care for that style of monthly update.
    I am thinking about it being in addition to the normal patch release schedule. At least it would be something to do. I mean it couldn't be that difficult to create 5 or so new quests, maybe a scenario, and once in awhile a dungeon ... along with the current schedule for the larger content patches.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    It would be something. I mean what do we have right now.

    Personally if they released something new every month I would not feel the need to just let my sub expire because I would know that I might potentially get something interesting to do.

    Hell we could be looking at August before the next expansion.. I have already been reduced to pet battles.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I am thinking about it being in addition to the normal patch release schedule. At least it would be something to do. I mean it couldn't be that difficult to create 5 or so new quests, maybe a scenario, and once in awhile a dungeon ... along with the current schedule for the larger content patches.
    Maybe you could try stuff like raiding or PvP, what the game is built around, ya know?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Honestly, I don't think the problem is as big of an issue as you think. People quit for a variety of reasons and I doubt many would list the lack of monthly updates as one of them.
    I mean take my wife and I as a example (leaving this whole no flying thing out).

    Right now her and I both are pretty much reduced to pet battles ... really just isn't anything to do. So her and I will probably let our subs expire. If something new came out on a monthly or semi monthly basis we would be more inclined to stay subbed.

    At this point in time all we have to look forward to is WoD, and well that is a long way out yet.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I mean take my wife and I as a example (leaving this whole no flying thing out).

    Right now her and I both are pretty much reduced to pet battles ... really just isn't anything to do. So her and I will probably let our subs expire. If something new came out on a monthly or semi monthly basis we would be more inclined to stay subbed.

    At this point in time all we have to look forward to is WoD, and well that is a long way out yet.
    Again, you don't do the content in front of you, stop asking for more. If the content isnt appealing to you then find another game because you don't belong in this one.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Maybe you could try stuff like raiding or PvP, what the game is built around, ya know?
    Do raid granted only flex my server has a very poor raiding community.

    I loathe pvp with every fiber of my being ... at least in this game I rather enjoy it in the other games I have played.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Do raid granted only flex my server has a very poor raiding community.

    I loathe pvp with every fiber of my being ... at least in this game I rather enjoy it in the other games I have played.
    No, your server has a poor pug community. There are raiding guilds on every server. Are you 14/14 Flex?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Again, you don't do the content in front of you, stop asking for more. If the content isnt appealing to you then find another game because you don't belong in this one.
    Uhmm the only content I don't do is PVP, and raiding beyond Flex because the raiding community on my server is weak to say the least.

    Sorry I am confused. Why the attitude?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Uhmm the only content I don't do is PVP, and raiding beyond Flex because the raiding community on my server is weak to say the least.

    Sorry I am confused. Why the attitude?
    Make your own raid group or find a guild. Ever server has raid groups and with connected realms its even easier. Why the attitude? Because you are asking for shit content pushed out constantly, screwing up addons just so people can do 3 new quests

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    No, your server has a poor pug community. There are raiding guilds on every server. Are you 14/14 Flex?
    Yeah Alliance has very few raiding guilds left on Cenarion Circle.

    Yes I am 14/14 on flex

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Make your own raid group or find a guild. Ever server has raid groups and with connected realms its even easier. Why the attitude? Because you are asking for shit content pushed out constantly, screwing up addons just so people can do 3 new quests
    Ok so basically you are a jerk and one of the reasons the WoW community has become so toxic .. got it.

    love the ignore feature.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Uhmm the only content I don't do is PVP, and raiding beyond Flex because the raiding community on my server is weak to say the least.

    Sorry I am confused. Why the attitude?
    I have 18k achievement points, don't raid, and don't PvP. Still, they could not release new content for another year (or more), and I would still not run out of things to do.

    It's not attitude. People who ask for more content or say "there is nothing to do", blame things on Blizzard when this isn't entirely a Blizzard problem.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-12-11 at 03:57 AM.

  17. #17
    Keb posted this in response to the thread I started on the official forums.

    Very good valid points and well he/she wasn't a dick. Novel idea.

    They could... but what would you want them to not work on instead?

    A large dev team doesn't directly translate into the ability to produce more content, especially not if you want said content to have a meaningful context with what's currently happening in-game - i.e. separate teams would have trouble coordinating. Also, Blizzard pushes back tentative release dates when they feel they need to work more on something; your model would not allow that. They'd risk pushing a flawed product out the door, and that would likely have a much greater impact on the playerbase's willingness to stay and pay.

    More frequent patches would probably mean addons breaking more often too. That'd be an inconvenience to those of us that have grown so accustomed to addons we can't play the game without them. Even a minor patch like the one today has messed with some of my favorite AH addons, so I feel gimped until they're updated.

    Players that unsub regularly due to content probably wouldn't stay paying customers for a few new quests every month; they'd just stay unsubbed between the major patches, as that fits their playstyle. I know a few sporadic players that feel the fifty cents a day price for WoW is too expensive over time. I doubt they'd feel inclined to keep paying for minor, if frequent, updates.

    In short, players devour new content. Blizzard could never produce new stuff fast enough to feed that hunger. I much prefer the current model over being fed morsels regularly. I know some people love the Isle of Thunder model of slow, steady unlocking of things - but I don't.

  18. #18
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,218
    Ok so basically you are a jerk and one of the reasons the WoW community has become so toxic .. got it.

    love the ignore feature.

    You're the one wanting more updates. Honestly look at GWII that's not a lot of content in their updates. IMO I think WoW has it better. At least the content update is filling.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You're the one wanting more updates. Honestly look at GWII that's not a lot of content in their updates. IMO I think WoW has it better. At least the content update is filling.
    I just don't so fondly remember the year wait between WoTLK and Cata (wasn't it about a year) and didn't they do the same with Cata and MoP?

    WoD is months away and we as players have very little IMO to tide us over until that date.

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I just don't so fondly remember the year wait between WoTLK and Cata (wasn't it about a year) and didn't they do the same with Cata and MoP?

    WoD is months away and we as players have very little IMO to tide us over until that date.
    Yeah it sucks but I think people will find stuff to do. Take note it's also december. Also the wait between Cata and MoP was probably the highest even beating ICC. So really at worst one month before ICC and one month before DS times. Don't get me wrong, I want WoD to come here to but patience is a virtue. Sucks that the reality is we players devour content VERY QUICKLY.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •