Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Why Do People Bother Raiding so much?

I'm just curious. In my own personal, not pushed on anyone else, I am not claiming everyone who disagrees with me is wrong, or trying to troll... opinion, it just seems like Raiding is a carrot on a stick. You spend months and months grinding, farming, gearing, over and over just to hit the 553 ilvl, when 3 months later a new expac drops and you can buy better greens than the purples you spent months grinding for. It seems to me just running LFR to see the content would be sufficient enough.

Now, before someone goes flying off the handle with insults or suggestions like "go play something else", you should know I am:

A) Not complaining about raiding, LFR, or Flex. I am not a raider, and have not been since TBC/Wrath.

B) Not suggesting it be removed, dumbed down, made harder, or changed in any way, shape, or form.

C) Not personally judging anyone who does raid either Normal, Heroic, Flex, or LFR.

I am genuinely curious what the appeal is to raiding. For me, at least, it would feel less like a hamster wheel to see the content, and then wait til the next expansion for the new gear. Is it the sense of accomplishment or the need to win? Are you just interested in having the best gear, or clearing content faster than anyone else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's fun. The first time round it's so you can say "yeahhhh I've done it I'm now one of the best" and then after that it's so you can say "I'm the best geared and pull the highest numbers".
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Most people don't do it for the gear. Some do it for prestige, others its just a social hobby. Raiding in WoW is probably one of the hardest co-op things you can find in video games.

LFR doesn't offer any of this, in reality offers no more "see the content" than a PTR fly through. Most people who run LFR do it for gear, not fun.

I've wondered this myself. I'd be interested in beating each one once for seeing the content at least, but gear gets in the way of that since you've got to grind each tier to be ready for the next. I can't imagine the appeal for most is the gear, since that gear isn't needed anyway unless you're raiding. That wouldn't make sense. And I can't imagine it's for the challenge either, since most raiders read guides and spoil everything before they've even attempted it.

Because they want to?

10+ Year Old Account
    People raid lots because that's the only endgame content created for them and they have three difficulties to do it on.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Because it's fun to accomplish things with a team.

Last time I raided (hc) was in cata. I did it because of the achievements and just to beat the content with friends/guildies. And it was also fun to have dps races, so getting better gear was also pro for beating my friends at the meters

Because its the only thing in the game that's remotely challenging and makes you think at all. Outside of PvP.

I'd imagine they do it because it's fun, it's challenging, it's a large group of friends working together to overcome obstacles, also some might do it to obtain the best gear, for the achievements for the prestige of being in the top percent of their server, why do we do anything in WoW? Because we enjoy it.

No idea. Raids get pretty boring once you get a fight on farm status. And sub-par raids get boring even sooner than that.

Deleted
    because downing a genuinely hard boss after nights of wiping is the best feeling you can get in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I've wondered this myself. I'd be interested in beating each one once for seeing the content at least, but gear gets in the way of that since you've got to grind each tier to be ready for the next. I can't imagine the appeal for most is the gear, since that gear isn't needed anyway unless you're raiding. That wouldn't make sense. And I can't imagine it's for the challenge either, since most raiders read guides and spoil everything before they've even attempted it.
    Because knowing mechanics means that the execution is easy right? It's not like bosses hit hard and have tight dps requirements that need to be met or anything. You aren't spoiling a fight by reading mechanics, the outcome is still they die or you wipe. It isn't really a surprise that Garrosh does more than phase 1. Fights never go the same, procs crits blocks parries random targeting, the fights aren't the same, and you don't know how the figh will go.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because people enjoy the challenge and want to maximise their characters potential.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    No idea. Raids get pretty boring once you get a fight on farm status. And sub-par raids get boring even sooner than that.
    Pretty sure that once people have 14/14 on farm they do it for the mounts for guildies. After that they sell carries to fill te guild bank an line their pockets. If it isn't the last tier you can always get BiS so you are ready for the next tier.

Deleted
    Raiding is the best content in the game.
    Raiding offer you to kill something that offer challenge its not just random smackdown with a random mob.
    Raiding requer a group to be done. That group have to be coordinated. The people in this group most likely will become your frends too.
    Raiding gives the best reward for the effort put in it

Overall its very emotional and fun. And , as i said, it is the best content in the game.

I raid because i like doing the hardest content in wow (Heroics), and i love raiding with my guild. As far as why i do it the whole tier, and not just once? as i said, i like raiding with my guild, and i like getting more gear and doing more dps as a tank, it's also fun finding new ways to tank a farm fight/cheese a farm fight.

Transmog and it's fun to pull better numbers.

Also OP you don't even scratch the content on LFR. I don't remember seeing Garrosh destroy Stormwind in LFR. LFR let's you see the graphics not experience the content.

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    Because it's fun to accomplish things with a team.
    Fun in WOW? Surely you're mad!

But yeah, I enjoy working as part of a team to do stuff.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.