Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Mechagnome Erathus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maelstrom.
    Posts
    580
    Alright. I would respect OP's opinion on the matter. I really would. If he wasnt honestly expecting a more serious note from the upcoming expansion, where the basis of the story is a so horrendously captured idea.

    WoW as far as story is concerned, continues as in "filler mode".


  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Erathus View Post
    Alright. I would respect OP's opinion on the matter. I really would. If he wasnt honestly expecting a more serious note from the upcoming expansion, where the basis of the story is a so horrendously captured idea.

    WoW as far as story is concerned, continues as in "filler mode".
    At least they advance the story, all be it badly at times or with all the grace and dignity of a whale trying handgliding.

  3. #63
    QQ more kid best raiding wow has ever seen... your point is invalid

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
    I am 27 years old and this kind of fantasy that they have pushed in MoP is just not suited for me. It's suited for kids. First dungeon you play you get to kill a boss that is a huge rabbit with bunch of little fluffy bunnies helping him. They say imagination has no limits and yet they choose a huge freakin rabbit in a world that is made purely out of imagination. It just saddens me.

    As its own entity MoP is ok, Pandarens are ok, but I think they have pushed the childish side of WoW way too much with it. WoW is mostly played by adults (18+) at this point.
    I am 36, soon to be 37. And I hate to say it, but I think you need to go out back and bury your Inner Child. Probably beside your pet hampster. Because it is quite clearly dead. That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of pretty much all of MOP, actually understand that there is a nice balance between light and dark going on in this world that you pretty obviously missed completely, and find almost no similarities between MoP and Kung-Fu panda other then that it has Martial Arts, Panda People and Noodles in it, and looks Asian.

    But that is just my opinion, and I guess you are entitled to your own.

  5. #65
    Epic! Naztrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nagrand Arena
    Posts
    1,532
    I agree with the OP.
    PvE is a minigame // Rerolled from affly to spriest after 8 years, thx pandaland changes

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    To me, the cheesiest thing about this expansion is that it does seem a bit of a satire on Kung Fu Panda to me. I mean, when you consider the plot of Kung Fu Panda, at least the second one which is the latest one I can recall... his people were pretty much massacred in a genocide, which isn't directly similar to Pandaria but the Pandaren have always been in danger of extinction from the Mantid and so forth.

    And the other major plot point is that the Crane creates this ultimate weapon that endangers everyone and is going to allow the Crane to take over the known world. Sound familiar? Maybe like Garrosh? I guess that's a pretty typical plot for any storyline though, because it fits the basic Hero meets opportunity meets conflict set of events.

    SNIP the rest of that long ramble
    Umm, you do realise that essentially what you just did was took an Asian Lore / Theme / Culture inspired movie, and compare it directly to an Asian Lore / Theme / Culture inspired game expantion and then go "ZOMG THEY ARE SIMILAR". Really. NO SHIT. However, that does not mean that one was inspired by the other or is directly attempting to rip the other off.

    I mean, If i really wanted to, I could go through MoP and pick a half dozen things that compare similarily to probably dozens of other movies, books or TV serieses. Everybody is corrupted by this Dark Evil Energy that turns them all dark and Nasty. OMG, MOP IS INPSIRED BY STARWARS. GIVE IN TO YOUR HATRED!!!.

    Seriously. Stop it. Just stop.

    MoP is not, and was not, inspired whole cloth by Kung-Fu panda. Stop reaching for connections just because the two happen to look similar and came out around the same time.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Umm, you do realise that essentially what you just did was took an Asian Lore / Theme / Culture inspired movie, and compare it directly to an Asian Lore / Theme / Culture inspired game expantion and then go "ZOMG THEY ARE SIMILAR". Really. NO SHIT. However, that does not mean that one was inspired by the other or is directly attempting to rip the other off.

    I mean, If i really wanted to, I could go through MoP and pick a half dozen things that compare similarily to probably dozens of other movies, books or TV serieses. Everybody is corrupted by this Dark Evil Energy that turns them all dark and Nasty. OMG, MOP IS INPSIRED BY STARWARS. GIVE IN TO YOUR HATRED!!!.

    Seriously. Stop it. Just stop.

    MoP is not, and was not, inspired whole cloth by Kung-Fu panda. Stop reaching for connections just because the two happen to look similar and came out around the same time.
    Could you sound like anymore of a 12 year old?

    You need to reread my post and start making valid arguments.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    Could you sound like anymore of a 12 year old?

    You need to reread my post and start making valid arguments.
    I did read your post. This topic has been debated to death LONG before this thread. Yes, MoP and Kung-Fu panda are similar. But that is all they are. SIMILAR. The devs did not sit down with a copy of Kung-Fu panda before they started designing MoP and brainstorm how many things they could pull out of the movie to put in their game. They sat down and did extensive research in to Asian culture, archetecture and themes. The same thing the Kung-Fu Panda creators did. They both just ended up making things that happen to have many similarities because they have the SAME GODDAMED SOURCE MATERIAL.

    Seriously, if you cant tell the difference between two things that look the same because they have similar origins, and two things that look the same because one copied the other you have some serious problems. (hint, MoP is the former, not the latter).

    Your entire post was esssentially "MoP has this thing that Kung-Fu panda also had, MoP is so un-origional". MoP has monkies, KFP had monkies!! MoP has Cranes, KFP also has Cranes ZOMG!! MoP has Colours! KFP totally had Colours. THEY MUST BE SIMILAR. I mean, you even tried to draw connections between the Goat Sage in KFP and the fact that MoP has goats?!?! If you reached any farther you would probably fall out of your chair.

    Before you ask me to make "valid arguements" perhaps you could make an arguement that isnt emptier then a hot air ballon?

  9. #69
    Wow, a lot of mental gymnastics going on in this thread.

  10. #70
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrender View Post
    So you're going to tell me everything up until MoP was filled with as many corny jokes, immature scenery, and poorly written dialogue?
    No!
    We are telling you up until MoP it was probably filled with twice as many corny jokes, immature scenery and poorly written dialogue.

    It seems some people don't know what Warcraft is all about.
    If you want super-serious-gaming than you should really quit this IP.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Try to boil everything down to a negative catch phrase all you want. We're still going to spend countless hours making Warlords of Draenor the most epic expansion possible.

  11. #71
    Stood in the Fire Raego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Spirit World
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    You're so stupid! Nah nah nah. j/k

    I partially agree. In short, I think WoW has always had cheesy pop-culture references, such as Haris Pilton, but I've always enjoyed those. I'm not sure that's what you're referring to when you are talking about satire.

    To me, the cheesiest thing about this expansion is that it does seem a bit of a satire on Kung Fu Panda to me. I mean, when you consider the plot of Kung Fu Panda, at least the second one which is the latest one I can recall... his people were pretty much massacred in a genocide, which isn't directly similar to Pandaria but the Pandaren have always been in danger of extinction from the Mantid and so forth.

    And the other major plot point is that the Crane creates this ultimate weapon that endangers everyone and is going to allow the Crane to take over the known world. Sound familiar? Maybe like Garrosh? I guess that's a pretty typical plot for any storyline though, because it fits the basic Hero meets opportunity meets conflict set of events.

    But it's that on top of the fact that the Pandaren just happen to be essentially kung fu fighters. There are heavy amounts of cranes, tigers, (is there a monkey in Kung Fu Panda aka Hozen?) Mantid (mantis in Kung Fu Panda), the Tauren/Taunka or whatever (bull dude in Kung Fu Panda under leadership of Crane), goats (Goat prophet in Kung Fu Panda.) I get that these are kind of generalizing things, but the fact that all of the creatures in the land of Pandaria are pretty much mirroring the animal character line-up in Kung Fu Panda on top of the general plot.. it's pretty amusing.

    Also, the scene where Po deflects the cannons in the water after finding inner peace, just reminds me of a monk spell. lol


    This all could just have to do with the theme of the expansion being Asian/Chinese, and the fact that it seems kind of like the entire expansion was geared towards attracting that particular audience, but it's pretty similar if you take off the white knight blindfold and see it for what it is.

    The whole expansion in general, despite the minor subtext and quests, had a very childish feel. In comparison to Cataclysm which seemed a little lackluster in general with the butchering of Deathwing and the dragon aspects, and the expansion before that being about a ruthless zombie horde and their chilling leader.. with an epic eerie 5 man dungeon that where he's chasing you down a narrow cliff like you're in a Mike Myers movie! Before that TBC was more of just a high fantasy, audience neutral expansion.


    That was probably way too long, but that's my summary anyway.
    That's because mop is based on Chinese mythology just as much as kung fu panda is. It's not that wow copied from the movie, both wow and kung fu panda have taken their ideas from the same source.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    Could you sound like anymore of a 12 year old?

    You need to reread my post and start making valid arguments.
    No he is right. You do realize everything you mentioned is Chinese and deals with Chinese culture. There will be big similarities. The monkey, the crane, etc. these are apart of Chinese culture. WoW and the creators of KFP as mentioned drew from the same source and both do use the stereotypical elements you get from China.This is like saying Assassin's Creed Black Flag copied Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides because it has pirates, beaches, pirate ships, Blackbeard, etc. Both the game and the movie drew from the same source.

  13. #73
    It seems the fanboys on this forum can't find reasons to argue that MoP is good, they have to retroactively describe everything that came before it as awful in order to make it look better.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    It seems the fanboys on this forum can't find reasons to argue that MoP is good, they have to retroactively describe everything that came before it as awful in order to make it look better.
    Huh? Dont think I have seen anyone here claim that the previous stuff was auefull just to make MoP look better. 90% of the people here have largely pointed out that everyone who claims MoP is childish / not serious enough seem to have missed the fact that ALL of wow is pretty damned childish / silly when you actually sit back and look at it.

    Kind of like pointing to 5 kids movies, and harping on the fifth one for being "too childish", while ignoring the fact that they are ALL bloody kids movies.

  15. #75
    Stood in the Fire Raego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Spirit World
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    It seems the fanboys on this forum can't find reasons to argue that MoP is good, they have to retroactively describe everything that came before it as awful in order to make it look better.
    There have been plenty of reasons on other threads, but we're not arguing whether mop is good or not here are we? And enough with this fanboy accusations, everyone here provided solid arguments against the op and now they're suddenly fanboys?
    It seems the haters on this forum can't find reasons to argue that MoP is bad, they have to retroactively describe everything that came before it as amazing in order to make it look worse. See what I did there?

  16. #76
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,348
    I wouldn't call it dry, cheesy yes. But it's always been cheesy in WoW so nothing to do with MoP.

  17. #77
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,073
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    It seems the fanboys on this forum can't find reasons to argue that MoP is good, they have to retroactively describe everything that came before it as awful in order to make it look better.
    Ooh, I am sorry that we are unable to prove that we find this game enjoyable :')

    It's not about being a good or a bad game. It's about how the fans see the game.
    When you try to argue that "Fact: MoP is bad" then it's easy to spot the million holes in your arguments.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Try to boil everything down to a negative catch phrase all you want. We're still going to spend countless hours making Warlords of Draenor the most epic expansion possible.

  18. #78
    Epic! Sainur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Khazad-dûm
    Posts
    1,671
    The things that were putting me off in this expansion were the horrible lore and pathetic storywriting. Also, the entire Asian theme, pandas, and pandaland. Didn't enjoy most raids either. The initial raids in MoP were terrible. HoF, MSV, and ToES. ToT was pretty cool and SoO also has a few good parts. Dungeons were a joke. Not challenging at all, and no new dungeons at all since ToT. Instead you get annoying scenarios like Blood in the Snow on heroic. No more love for dungeons it seems. Scenarios are just a pathetic excuse cause Blizzard cant be bothered with dungeons anymore.

    Legendary quest has been a joke. A boring RNG based questline, and now you see everyone and their mothers with legendary cloaks. I am no elitist, but the legendary questline sucked donkey shit.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ainur/advanced

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    No!
    We are telling you up until MoP it was probably filled with twice as many corny jokes, immature scenery and poorly written dialogue.

    It seems some people don't know what Warcraft is all about.
    If you want super-serious-gaming than you should really quit this IP.
    Ah so we are at the "outright lies" stage already at page 4? Not bad huh?

    Cata was just as bad if not more. That has to be said.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Huh? Dont think I have seen anyone here claim that the previous stuff was auefull just to make MoP look better. 90% of the people here have largely pointed out that everyone who claims MoP is childish / not serious enough seem to have missed the fact that ALL of wow is pretty damned childish / silly when you actually sit back and look at it.

    Kind of like pointing to 5 kids movies, and harping on the fifth one for being "too childish", while ignoring the fact that they are ALL bloody kids movies.
    Yes which is pretty much what ribald said. Oh and so completely false. Yes of course it's childish. It's a video game.

  20. #80
    Old God Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    10,051
    I love how you're placing the failure of Cataclysm entirely on Dragon Soul, when everything after Patch 4.1 (in my opinion, at least) was part of the problem. Tier 11 was the only majorly good aspect of Cataclysm.

    Regarding Mists of Pandaria, I can't help but disagree. I feel you're trying to hide the foundations of your post, which would be; "PANDAS AND ASIAN THEME LOL", when really a lot of the plot on Pandaria has been the darkest and most dramatic we've seen for years!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •