Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Firstly, based on that link you posted I really don't see how MoP has less than any expansion before.

    Secondly, people don't take MoP seriously because the theme feels completely out of whack with the previous expansions.

    Thirdly, what are you talking about? How is WoW not a serious franchise. I guess I misunderstood, was all the war and genocide and racism and ancient evil portrayed in the games meant to be funny and light-hearted?
    It is neither completely serious, nor completely humour.

    It is a perfect mixture of both.

    Anyone that complains or tries to imply either side is more than the other needs a swift kick to the face.

  2. #102
    I am Murloc! Peaky Blinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham UK/Arizona US
    Posts
    5,687
    FOR FUCK SAKE THIS SHIT AINT SHAKESPEARE ITS A FUCKING GAME

    Christ why do people read so much into this shit

    This is just a video game i wish the lore was better but blizz sold its soul to activision a long time ago and ive learnt not to take this tripe seriously

  3. #103
    To me the quality of the pop culture references has gone down dramatically, also the concentration of them is different. The list of Kangodo is all good and well, but you have to take in account the difference in "landmass" where they were spread out over as well as the speed in which you encountered them.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Warcraft isn't dark and gritty, but it certainly isn't silly and it definatly takes itself seriously. Its high fantasy.
    Poop quests are certainly not silly, no they're not.

  5. #105
    Old God Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    10,547
    MoP had as much serious and humorous aspects as every other expansion.

    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Warcraft isn't dark and gritty, but it certainly isn't silly and it definatly takes itself seriously. Its high fantasy.
    WoW and Warcraft in general does have silly aspects. Always has.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Firstly, based on that link you posted I really don't see how MoP has less than any expansion before.
    So what you are saying is that you are quite clearly blind, as well as incapable of using a scroll bar? Because what I see is about a page and a half of entries for MoP. Followed later on by, oh, 15 or so pages worth of entries for TBC, and 20 or so pages worth of entries for Vanilla.

    But I guess 1.5 is close enough to 15 or 20 that it doesn't really matter, right?

    Secondly, people don't take MoP seriously because the theme feels completely out of whack with the previous expansions.
    Oh, of course. Mysterious Panda people hidden for centuries on mystical island fighting evil insects and practicing martial arts is out of place, but Purple Goat people in giant flying crystal spaceships who woship sentient chandeliers fits the WoW theme perfectly.......

    go slop your weakass arguements somewhere else please.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Warcraft isn't dark and gritty, but it certainly isn't silly and it definatly takes itself seriously. Its high fantasy.
    Please, for the love of god, tell me you did not actually type that with a straight face. WoW is about as close to high fantasy as your average Forgotten Realms / Dragonlance novel. You likely wouldnt know High Fantasy if it fell flaming out of the sky and roasted you with dragonfire.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    So what you are saying is that you are quite clearly blind, as well as incapable of using a scroll bar? Because what I see is about a page and a half of entries for MoP. Followed later on by, oh, 15 or so pages worth of entries for TBC, and 20 or so pages worth of entries for Vanilla.

    But I guess 1.5 is close enough to 15 or 20 that it doesn't really matter, right?


    Oh, of course. Mysterious Panda people hidden for centuries on mystical island fighting evil insects and practicing martial arts is out of place, but Purple Goat people in giant flying crystal spaceships who woship sentient chandeliers fits the WoW theme perfectly.......

    go slop your weakass arguements somewhere else please.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Please, for the love of god, tell me you did not actually type that with a straight face. WoW is about as close to high fantasy as your average Forgotten Realms / Dragonlance novel. You likely wouldnt know High Fantasy if it fell flaming out of the sky and roasted you with dragonfire.
    So what kind of fantasy is it then?

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    So what kind of fantasy is it then?
    The shit kind.
    The common man is like a worm in the gut of a corpse, trapped inside a prison of cold flesh, helpless and uncaring, unaware even of the inevitability of its own doom.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    So what kind of fantasy is it then?
    Pulp fantasy. You know, the fantasy version of those terrible romance novels you find in Corner Stores and Gas Stations. It runs in the same pack as Dragon Lance, Forgotten Realms and other fantasy that was mindblowingly awesome when we were in Highschool, but then later discovered had about as much depth as a puddle of lukewarm piss when we actually started reading REAL fantasy novels, and not books someone created using their last DnD campaign liner notes.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2013-12-12 at 11:31 AM.

  10. #110
    what's even worse then bad lines is the stupid, in-your-face pop culture references. cata 1-60 is the biggest offender here (CSI Westfall still makes me wanna cry). yes, wow never took itself seriously but they went overboard with some of this shit.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    The shit kind.
    Well then its interesting you're posting on a WoW forum then.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Pulp fantasy. You know, the fantasy version of those terrible romance novels you find in Corner Stores and Gas Stations.
    Again, why do you people play WoW if you're so quick to tear it apart if that would help your arguements?

  12. #112
    Vanilla, TBC and WotLK were all about immersion, tough and exciting adventure. MoP will be associated with farms and pandas.

  13. #113
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by satanicway View Post
    All your arguments are pathetic.

    Pandas are as childish? Because Cows are very adult right?
    And so are elfs, and GNOMES... give me a break please.

    The dialogues are as good in the past as they are now. In fact they are better now.
    Either you show data to prove your point, and that means getting all dialogues of a full RAID and comparing then.
    Or just shut up. If you can not bring data, don't argue.


    If you think leveling is dreadful and boring, quit the game. Or better start END GAME, because that is the main focus of wow if you don't know even that.
    I see no point in telling me to start end game. Leveling would still be boring in Pandaria and I've already done some endgame. You could have as well presented dialogues if you were to point out that I didn't post. IN MY OPINION I just didn't like the general theme of the expansion hence me quitting in 5.1. I did come back in 5.3 and so on but I didnt find myself enjoying the game anymore (and timeless isle isn't that great either) so you are right! I did quit the game and I'm waiting to see what will they do in WoD.

    And look at the way "cows" were portrayed and look at how pandarens were. Blizzard made cows, elves and maybe gnomes fit into the game and besides all of that, they didn't make a whole expansion about cows or gnomes or elves specifically.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Agreed. If they are going to try and make the game funny they should just hire Matt Stone and Trey Parker to South Parkify a WoW.
    ...and if you ask me, South Park jumped the shark by going overly into pop culture parody. For the first few seasons they had a lot of original ideas and humour stemming from the interaction of hilariously written characters but everyone runs out of ideas eventually and pop culture parody is the easiest way to keep things going when you're out of original ideas.

    I feel like WoW jumped the shark with silliness and pop culture references somewhere in Cataclysm and in MoP it's further emphasized by how much the whole Asian theme with pandas feels like a cheap Jackie Chan movie parody. You can only have so many wise martial arts gurus in one story before it becomes cheap. In WotLK I laughed when Harrison Jones escorted me to safety because that one quest was a funny reversal of the previous 50 quests that I did, in Cataclysm they took the thing way too far by making most of the zone about Harrison Jones jokes and it stopped being funny.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Want another fact? "You are wrong."

    http://wowpedia.org/List_of_pop_cult...es_in_Warcraft
    Did you actually read that list?

  16. #116
    Aww OP has grown up, put on his big boy pants and has realised WoW includes satire.

    Sarcasm aside (you dookin deserve it), you have rightfully missed something in previous expansions. The satire. The pop culture references. But what you yearn for --of which you forgot to allude in your tirade --which lets assume is story and script with more gravitas, grit or seriousness, is *not* really the cornerstone of World of Warcraft. The lore however *is* a cornerstone, however the execution and script (of which) has always erred towards the broader audience rather than its Lovecraftian [sic] origins.

    There are a few quests, places, art, books within WoW that offer darker tones and wordier script for us to to sink our fangs into, but essentially we need to 'remember' to enjoy the game for what it has always been -especially as we get older and the more we play -that is, a jolly through the expansive lore above and beyond Warcraft.

    But I suggest that's it is simply you that had grown up, over the course of WoW, and that you've become more aware of the acute satire therein. It is at this point that you need to seek refuse in the deeper lore, look beyond the game to the books, fan fiction, short stories, role play books (some are hard to find now!) to satisfy your needs. There is passion behind the game, hopefully you will learn to find it.
    Last edited by risingforce; 2013-12-12 at 11:43 AM.

  17. #117
    Dunno why but for me cata>mop. Maybe the pandas yes, had some trouble with them. Now i have strange nightmares.


    Dont say cata lost more subs than mop as this one is not over yet


    27y old. French buisness lawyer. Playing what my friends are playing. Destiny and Wod.

  18. #118
    Epic! chaosjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Old Tristam
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Did OP try and really argue his opinion as a fact?

    Seriously?

    Well in that case I guess my opinion that the Moon is actually just a giant face covered in shaving cream is a true. I don't know how I feel about that.
    I have to agree with you. I belieave in it myself.

    any case on topic this a standard case of rose-tintet classes brought together with selective memory generated from something hatefyl in the expansion and in this case I am guessing the panda's

    Active Wow Player | Active D3 Player | Active Eve Player | Active Wot Player | Scrub Openraid Raid Leader| Eve Gametime | Youtube / Twitter

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Again, why do you people play WoW if you're so quick to tear it apart if that would help your arguements?
    Because, and this might come as a shock to you, we actually enjoy it for what it is? Strange concept eh?

    And when did we tear it appart? What you seem to be missing, over and over again, is that we like the game how it is. A bit silly, a bit serious, a bit of blood, a bit of funny poop quests. Redicuolus shoulderpads and crazy big, impossible to functionally use weapons.

    We just dont labour under some bizzare illusion that WoW is something that it is not.

    I am beginning to think that you are being dense just for the sake of being dense.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    Well they can't do that because of gameplay reasons. Gameplay trumps lore all the time. As for tensions, does it matter? Was the Horde and Alliance at war in Vanilla through WOTLK, no they weren't. Did they leave in good terms, well yes because he let the Horde be and no because he and the Alliance will crush them if they pulled another stunt. Obviously it makes sense that Org became occupied by the Alliance from a lore standpoint, but they can't. As for right now the Horde are in a weaken state compared to the Alliance and the Alliance let them be. We will find out more when WoD comes out.
    Well that's exactly my point. Why even go there if obviously you CAN'T capitulate on the story due to you know gameplay issues?
    Yes in wotlk horde and alliance hated each other. Remember lootship boss in icc? Even when facing a common enemy we would find the time to nuke each other.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •